Westerner Found Hanged On Rooftop Of Unfinished Building On Bang Na-Trat: Bangkok

webfact

A very sad end being alone without friends or family, feeling so low, RIP.

If it's not suicide then someone must know of a grim situation this guy was having, it would be nice to see a case resolved, too much foul play gets hidden in los, shame on the corruption side of los.

Thailand will give the best, greatest highs but it will also give the ultimate lows.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall a similar "find" not long ago reported on this site: a westerner found hanged, sitting down. I think it was in Phuket. The man was found hanging from a tree branch and he was sitting, or partially sitting, on the ground. weird. The ownership of the building is not especially interesting, but other missing details would be.

saying his friends went to play the "free running" game on the building and found the body.

What does that mean?

Exactly!!! Was it "misadventure" rather than "suicide"? !!! Really hope they release some kind of half decent report (after of course a *cough* decent investigation)

Read report again,nothing to with free running or misadventure.

Article on the case from Daily News (in Thai)

Warning: Although pixelated, photos remain graphic

http://www.dailynews.co.th/crime/20247

As most of us know who live here, the Thai newspapers love these graphic photos for their front page. About a week ago, on the front page of a Thai newspaper, was a photo of a baby who fell out of her mothers arms riding on the back of a motorcycle and got stuck in the spokes of the rear wheel. The baby couldn't have been 1 year old. About lost my lunch on that one.

]In carefully reading the article, it appears the guy who found the body was doing free running when he and his friends found the body. The deceased was not doing it....

just reading the article makes that clear. reading it carefully makes it blatantly obvious.

Again the armchair detectives run rampant and manage to ignore the facts

Have suicide notes gone out of fashion? Of all the "suicides" reported in Thailand, I do not recollect reading about any notes left.

According to the Thai press, investigators found a photograph of a woman (25-30 years old) on the body, and nearby, a message which read "try to remember what was good sorry is not enough" and a drawing of someone performing the respectful Thai gesture of 'panom' (pressing your palms together in front of your chest).

Edited by RickBradford

saying his friends went to play the "free running" game on the building and found the body.

What does that mean?

Free running............................no ticket required. No brain either.

Ahh ok ive seen this..i actually find it pretty impressive albeit dangerous. However, have NEVER heard of anyone doing it with a rope tied around their neck!

The guy's who found him were free-running!

Never heard of such a strange way to end your life till recently. A one time thing would sure be weird. But two dead foreigners 3 months apart in one country where both of the deceased were found with a rope around the neck and the feet firmly on the ground. Boy, the odds must be astronomical. And that actor too. Hope these last two weren't from misdiagnosed auto-erotic-asphyxiation. Can never understand why foreigners fly 10,000km and only to Thailand of all places to indulge in erotic solitaire. ref http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/528993-unidentified-foreigner-found-hanged-in-phuket/

The man was found in a sitting position with his neck tied by a hose, which was hung from the scaffold of the billboard.

Dealt with a number of hanging suicides in my younger days and this description of a suicidal hanging is somewhat out of kilter with the normal M.O.

this is how Thai's hang themselves. it has happened 3 times in my village. the farrang m.o. is to hang from a height. suspicious to say the least.

The man was found in a sitting position with his neck tied by a hose, which was hung from the scaffold of the billboard.

Dealt with a number of hanging suicides in my younger days and this description of a suicidal hanging is somewhat out of kilter with the normal M.O.

this is how Thai's hang themselves. it has happened 3 times in my village. the farrang m.o. is to hang from a height. suspicious to say the least.

are thais scared of heights

are thais scared of heights

It is not uncommon for people to hang themselves in this way including from doorknobs. It doesn't take much force to die this way. I would speculate that near half or more hangings occur with some part of the victim touching the ground and being able to free (stop the pressure on the neck) themselves easily.

What does that mean?

What's with the no brain comment??? At least they're doing something productive instead of playing some stupid video games!!!

I agree. Is he saying you also wouldn't need a brain for stuff like Thai Boxing or Rugby as well?? Some of that free running stuff is beautiful as far as i'm concerned, and obviously quite athletic.

It's quite common to hang yourself in a sitting position, they usually take sleeping pills, pass out and the strangulation is a fact. no pain involved.

Yes, it is both common and also the 'preferred' way if visiting advice-forums.

Some years back we had a celebrity in my home country that went this way.

This appears too borderline - I hope a non bias and intelligent forensic examiner will take this case seriously and base the findings of the results on its truthful merits.

AFAIK there's only one such examiner in Thailand, and she seems to only get pulled into important cases - i.e. ones that the Thais care about.

so many conspiracies here for every death. look at the pictures. it doesn't look like murder. it looks like he tied the hose to the lower rail, tossed the other end over the top rail, tied off his neck and sat down.

there's many easier ways to kill someone in LOS than forcing him up the stairs of a 32-story building. they'd just stab him and leave him in the street. robbery of a farang gets the same police treatment as farang suicide.

Appearances are everything here, so even at a grassroots level when there's a problem involving foreigners, Thais will do their best to make sure the public interpretation is as favorable as possible to Thailand.

So if you're going to knock off a foreigner, everyone knows it's much better to do it in such a way that it's easy for everyone to believe it's an accident or suicide, or he deserved it. If the international community started realizing just how many foreign deaths here are murders it will hurt the country's tourism industry. This will then lead to consequences for the crims from the even more rich and powerful mafioso who run the country.

Everyone thinks David Carradine died from a sex game gone wrong, and therefore it was his own fault right?

• Like 1

Putting aside the tragedy .. what sucks about these news reports is there is rarely ever any follow-up reporting done. Be nice to know who he was, where he came from and snap shot of what happened in his life to lead to this conclusion.

• 9 months later...

This death sounds strange.... but so do a lot of deaths in Thailand......Especially a lot of us old guys....reminds me of the African Elephants who go to a certain place to die.... Us old guys seem to do the same.

A bit off the subject. The video is an excellent tutorial on the drop and roll technique. Prevents a lot of broken bones and even death. I fell a few months ago and my drop and roll instinct was still there. I was thankful for that because I could have really gotten hurt. Everyone, men/women, should learn this.

I'm new to this forum but interested why "us old guys" would go to a certain place. There seems to be an urban myth that westerners sell up back home, wash up in Asia somewhere, do all the things that they wanted to do before, and when their money runs out, do themselves in. But I have seen little proof of this as a widespread practice. Does anybody know?

This death sounds strange.... but so do a lot of deaths in Thailand......Especially a lot of us old guys....reminds me of the African Elephants who go to a certain place to die.... Us old guys seem to do the same.

A bit off the subject. The video is an excellent tutorial on the drop and roll technique. Prevents a lot of broken bones and even death. I fell a few months ago and my drop and roll instinct was still there. I was thankful for that because I could have really gotten hurt. Everyone, men/women, should learn this.

I'm new to this forum but interested why "us old guys" would go to a certain place. There seems to be an urban myth that westerners sell up back home, wash up in Asia somewhere, do all the things that they wanted to do before, and when their money runs out, do themselves in. But I have seen little proof of this as a widespread practice. Does anybody know?

Not sure, but boy for a first post and joning an hour a go you have done some searching to dig up a 10 month old thread ;)

• Like 1

What does that mean?

Looks like fun. Kind of thing you do in your teens.

Very much a teen thing and obviously quite fun... when things go right.

There's a plethora of FAIL videos that depict when free running (and the associated activity, parkour) doesn't quite go right.

http://www.youtube.c...c.1.PMrijSh9OHw

Edited by Buchholz