Do Thais Have An Obsession About Overinflated Car Tyres?

Jezz

So l assume your tyres are not factory stock on your light truck.?

If the MAX pressure is 65 psi you can put what ''YOU'' want in below that figure. But, depends on what the vehicle is for it's safety. Previously you said an Izusu ''LOOKS'' heavy so shove 50 odd psi in it, which is laughable info for someone trying to find out the ''real'' answer eh.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Hak, your post really simplifies what l have been trying to put over.

If you only knew??? cheesy.gif He also mentions over-inflating, or is it?? No one has answered that question yet including you have they??

Read Hakku's post veeeeeeeeeeeery slowly, then read it again veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly, THEN, even you might understand what l have been trying to put over. You have condoned inflating a tyre OVER the SAFE MAX pressure printed on a tyre. That's it, no further waffle Wop Speed. You seem to look at THAI motoring as if we are on a race or rally track instead we are looking at regular rides, trucks in the main. As I said before, your talk is dangerous to those who ''might'' not understand stuff. coffee1.gif

Safe Max pressure printed on my tyre is 65psi.

I run it at 52psi, so now you are agreeing with me that I am good to go.

Nice for you to agree that I win the discussion, thanks.

Yes and he claims that at some point I posted over-inflating above max pressures and I need him to post the quote that says that? It doesn't exist which again means he's clueless and hasn't been reading (comprehending) a thing that's been posted all the while arguing to his demise..

So l assume your tyres are not factory stock on your light truck.?

If the MAX pressure is 65 psi you can put what ''YOU'' want in below that figure. But, depends on what the vehicle is for it's safety. Previously you said an Izusu ''LOOKS'' heavy so shove 50 odd psi in it, which is laughable info for someone trying to find out the ''real'' answer eh.

cheesy.gif waffling cheesy.gif Oh yes!! Personally I think T/A's pressure has been rising, first it was a standard 29 PSI as per vehicle manufacturer and then it was around 32 based on the tire suggestions and such and now it's something in between also based on the sidewall minimum and maximum ratings not the vehicle, ala a "sliding scale" as I posted but relative to the tire and the usage.. Presto we have a convert!! I hope his personal pressure hasn't risen to the point of being unhealthy giggle.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

An inflammatory post has been removed. Try again without the flames.

Edit: Drop the silly name calling as well, another post has been removed.

Another post using silly name calling has been removed as well as a reply. Stop being so childish with the name calling and grow up.

• Like 2

Crap! The info was important so, in spite of the response to it being childish, I'll repost it without the corresponding personal insults quoted..

Waffling to suit your argument again.. Can you answer my questions or not? I'm thinking NOT coffee1.gif .. And no, under-inflation as even Hak has eluded to is much more dangerous..

JFYI Get this straight T/A! And it's here on record! Not once have I condoned inflating a tire over it's max rating! You're being libelous T/A get your facts straight!!! Before you post such incomprehensible twaddle...

Edited by WarpSpeed

I put 52psi in my pickup tyres, yours is low, the v-cross is quite a weighty beast.

PS

As far as I know Isuzu don't make tyres, so you should be using the pressures printed on the rubber of the tyre, and then pressuring according to the weight of the vehicle on those tyres. Heaver the vehicle, the neared the max PSI, lighter the vehicle, the neared to the minimum PSI.

Well stated Tommo, yours might be a tad high maybe best around 45 to 48 depending on what your maximum stated on the sidewall is but I'd take the tire manufacturer recommendations over the vehicle manufacturer any day which have NO idea which tire you have after your first set and most are recommended too low anyways in favor of ride performance over tire performance and safety..

The shop is correct, this has been beaten to death but it's not a standard applied to ALL tires..It takes some consumer and technician common sense and knowledge, if a tire is max rated @ 50 PSI it should be at least upper 30's to low 40's to be close to proper sidewall support, wear, performance and safety characteristics..

A number on a sidewall IS NOT a tire manufacturer's recommendation! It's only a number stating the MAX pressure this particular tire can handle! The same tire WILL be inflated to different pressure depending on the vehicle it's installed on. Don't confuse yourself and other people!

Well, try reading this one, not from me. coffee1.gif

I put 52psi in my pickup tyres, yours is low, the v-cross is quite a weighty beast.

PS

As far as I know Isuzu don't make tyres, so you should be using the pressures printed on the rubber of the tyre, and then pressuring according to the weight of the vehicle on those tyres. Heaver the vehicle, the neared the max PSI, lighter the vehicle, the neared to the minimum PSI.

Well stated Tommo, yours might be a tad high maybe best around 45 to 48 depending on what your maximum stated on the sidewall is but I'd take the tire manufacturer recommendations over the vehicle manufacturer any day which have NO idea which tire you have after your first set and most are recommended too low anyways in favor of ride performance over tire performance and safety..

The shop is correct, this has been beaten to death but it's not a standard applied to ALL tires..It takes some consumer and technician common sense and knowledge, if a tire is max rated @ 50 PSI it should be at least upper 30's to low 40's to be close to proper sidewall support, wear, performance and safety characteristics..

A number on a sidewall IS NOT a tire manufacturer's recommendation! It's only a number stating the MAX pressure this particular tire can handle! The same tire WILL be inflated to different pressure depending on the vehicle it's installed on. Don't confuse yourself and other people!

Well, try reading this one, not from me. coffee1.gif

Yes what about it?? No where in that post does it state that "maximum" tire pressure should be exceeded...What is it you're reading prey tell?? You're the only one confused as usual.. I've been VEEEERY clear numerous times but one has to actually "READ" and comprehend the post, which you constantly display a reluctance to do..

HIS sidewall states 65psi and he is at 52 so he's done the math.. I recommended even lower at around 45-48 that's what is being said, do the MATH.. And further more the continuing part of my post is also more explanation..

Nice attempted backpedaling though...You note I also mention it takes "some consumer common sense and knowledge" coffee1.gif hmmm....Ironic that..

I contend that you're just so focused on competing with me and trying to prove me wrong that you don't really consume the content of what's being posted and start right in on a counter point whether it's right or wrong as long as it opposes mine.. passifier.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just to slow it down a bit here's some info posted by MRO in another thread is very interesting and a calculation to keep on record if you change tyre profile from OEM.

(Me) With the cold pressure recommendations given, it’s a good idea when you have to drive to a garage to get air, when using a guage you have already put heat into the tyre so knock off 2 to 3 psi and / or check in the morning.

Quote from (MRO) If your changing to different profile tires.

The correct rule is: Adjust the OEM recommended PSI pressures by subtracting or adding the load rating of the new tire from the load rating of OEM new tire.

Examples: If the OEM tire is 109S and the new tire is 112V, and the OEM pressure is 29PSI: 109 - 112 = -3 29PSI - 3 = 26 PSI.

If the OEM tire is 112H and the new tire is 111R, and the OEM pressure is 32PSI: 112 - 111 = 1 32PSI + 1 = 33 PSI.

If you didn't swap your spare tire, you should be able to look at it to determine the OEM load rating that corresponds to the vehicle manufacturers recommended pressures.

(Me again) This site MRO gave is good info although I think most of it supports OEM.

http://en.wikipedia....code#Load_index

Parameters are something to bear in mind and just check your tyres from time to time. I always put a pressure which rides good on the Thai roads if I'm gonna goose it then I make adjustments, at the end of the day it is not a very difficult task to undertake.smile.png

Edited by Kwasaki

This is what 'I' do. Go by what the side of the tire says unless, I have overloaded the vehicles gvwr. 'I' always buy the same tire that was stock, or was suggested in the manual that I recieved with the car / truck. No problems so far ;)

P.S. I usually get better or worse +- 3-5kpg per sticker type.

Someone here should slap a "R Type" sticker on their car, it adds 5 HP, good for racing too, you know?

<deleted> this is getting sillier as the argument continues.

A car manufacturer would not recomment tire side other than the size it came with.

If someone has a need to change the tires from manufacturer size to whatever, they better do their reaserch and perhaps contact tire manufacturer or their car manufacturer, not talk to know it all folks on internet forums.

Someone here should slap a "R Type" sticker on their car, it adds 5 HP, good for racing too, you know?

<deleted> this is getting sillier as the argument continues.

A car manufacturer would not recomment tire side other than the size it came with.

If someone has a need to change the tires from manufacturer size to whatever, they better do their reaserch and perhaps contact tire manufacturer or their car manufacturer, not talk to know it all folks on internet forums.

And the pressures are.:D

• Like 1

<p>tyres are designed to be a certain profile etc. THey are a flexible structure of rubber and steel attached to the wheel - to perform correctly they need to be within certain pressure levels - putting more (or less)air in them will alter that performance - it is NOT a simple matter of schoolboy physics (or according to some posters geometry even)do seriously think that the manufacturers haven't weighed up the pros and cons of tyre usage over the past century?</p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>

Edited by cowslip

Just to slow it down a bit here's some info posted by MRO in another thread is very interesting and a calculation to keep on record if you change tyre profile from OEM.

(Me) With the cold pressure recommendations given, it’s a good idea when you have to drive to a garage to get air, when using a guage you have already put heat into the tyre so knock off 2 to 3 psi and / or check in the morning.

Quote from (MRO) If your changing to different profile tires.

The correct rule is: Adjust the OEM recommended PSI pressures by subtracting or adding the load rating of the new tire from the load rating of OEM new tire.

Examples: If the OEM tire is 109S and the new tire is 112V, and the OEM pressure is 29PSI: 109 - 112 = -3 29PSI - 3 = 26 PSI.

If the OEM tire is 112H and the new tire is 111R, and the OEM pressure is 32PSI: 112 - 111 = 1 32PSI + 1 = 33 PSI.

If you didn't swap your spare tire, you should be able to look at it to determine the OEM load rating that corresponds to the vehicle manufacturers recommended pressures.

(Me again) This site MRO gave is good info although I think most of it supports OEM.

http://en.wikipedia....code#Load_index

Parameters are something to bear in mind and just check your tyres from time to time. I always put a pressure which rides good on the Thai roads if I'm gonna goose it then I make adjustments, at the end of the day it is not a very difficult task to undertake.smile.png

My OEM spare is a space saver :(:) requires 50 PSI...

&lt;deleted&gt; this is getting sillier as the argument continues.

Yes and are some here are to thick to grasp that nearly EVERY single performance enhancement and safety feature you have on your daily driver including the tires you drive on originated from motorsports R&D get it?? And I'm not talking straight line racing, or circle track but circuit and road racing. So there's a direct correlation it's not even a passive one..

To continue too post such opposing nonsense and baiting rubbish just further serves to illustrate the point that you have NO clue of which you speak..

You may not like what you read and can refer to it as "know it all" stuff but that's really your problem isn't it and speaks more about your insecurities and why I post it in the first place. Because it's facts!! And those of your ilk that don't really know the facts tend to take your position and try to reduce the debate to your level as several others previously have.

JFYI I've already owned and raced the original car that coined the "Type R" moniker so as usual I'm waaay ahead of ya...

Edited by WarpSpeed

And the pressures are.biggrin.png

Yes good one Kawasaki, no one has still answered that question I first posed..

Yes and are some here are to thick to grasp that nearly EVERY single performance enhancement and safety feature you have on your daily driver including the tires you drive on originated from motorsports R&D get it?? And I'm not talking straight line racing, or circle track but circuit and road racing. So there's a direct correlation it's not even a passive one..

To continue too post such opposing nonsense and baiting rubbish just further serves to illustrate the point that you have NO clue of which you speak..

Unfortunately, yet again you show you understand absolutely nothing about the work done between a vehicle and tyre manufacturer for their vehicle safety. You are digging yourself a very big hole.

I dunno, I follow manufacturer's recommendations for the tires pressure and size so nothing changes for me

Which manufacturer?? Only one is truly qualified to make recommendations after your first set of OEM tires on a new car..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Unfortunately, yet again you show you understand absolutely nothing about the work done between a vehicle and tyre manufacturer for their vehicle safety. You are digging yourself a very big hole.

More attempted baiting but I'm not biting.

Can you elaborate or just spout more rubbish?...................................... Never mind we ALL know the answer to that..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Can you elaborate or just spout more rubbish?...................................... Never mind we ALL know the answer to that..

They do, do l have to bring up your lack of understanding of how an engine oil pump works, or your knowledge of the MGB or Firebird where you were totally wrong but would not admit it. Hmmm, nooooo, better not.

AS l have stated before, this is not an argument about what folk ''think'', it's about safety. Readers PLEASE do a simple google and all will be revealed. That's all l want that you understand the pitfalls.

They do, do l have to bring up your lack of understanding of how an engine oil pump works, or your knowledge of the MGB or Firebird where you were totally wrong but would not admit it. Hmmm, nooooo, better not.

AS l have stated before, this is not an argument about what folk ''think'', it's about safety. Readers PLEASE do a simple google and all will be revealed. That's all l want that you understand the pitfalls.

Not unless they're on topic and they aren't, even then, just because someone walks away from you shaking their head in amazement doesn't mean you won the debate so can you provide any REAL substance or just continued personal barbs..

They have Googled and even posted their results which contradict your advice but yet you still persist??

How about starting by answering these questions T/A?

I'd still like someone to answer the question posed pages ago.

How does one determine the tire pressure on a car that no longer has the manual or the specs listed and the tires are no longer the OEM size or spec model?

As well where does it state the tire pressures on the tire sidewall? It gives a max and minimum and then safe inflation is calculated in between, it's a sliding scale as has already been agreed to by nearly everyone posting here (eventually). And what does "over-inflate" constitute? What is your definition of over inflating? 2 lbs/6 lbs/10 lbs? If so how do you come by those figures?

BTW This is mostly rhetorical because I know no one here who thinks over-inflation is dangerous has the correct answer. I do though..

Still waiting??.................................. Never mind I know the answer is not forthcoming the end of this debate passed a page ago and now it's just going to degenerate further unless the bigger man walks away.. So I will, carry on now...

I dunno, I follow manufacturer's recommendations for the tires pressure and size so nothing changes for me

Which manufacturer?? Only one is truly qualified to make recommendations after your first set of OEM tires on a new car..

Which manufacturer? Condom manufacturer...

As I said in my second post in this silly topic, a tire manufacturer recommends following your car's manufacturer recommendation. I provided a link to support my claim and asked you to support your with more than just your words. That reply was ignored by you...

I am out of this debate, following my signature line.

Play safe kids!

• Like 1