Can You Obtain A Work Permit If You Have Had A 4 Year Jail Term For Fraud In The Uk

your wife still has the vehicle documents, then I would report it to the police, then go to immigration and make a complaint about him stating "you understand" he has convictions in the UK for fraud.

It is unfortunate that he and his type are well embedded in the expatiate society in Thailand either having served time or evading prosecution and continue their there chosen occupation with the main victims being the law abiding expiates and visitors to the kingdom.

It would be hard to see someone deported/refused entry for a misdemeanor of many years ago and has done the punishment and is going straight, but in this case the subject is continuing to defraud, I see no reason why Thailand would not be happy to deport him, obviously he is of no benefit to Thai society (or any other society).

I am not sure why this would be a misdemeanor (which is a US term and normally results in less than one year in jail) if he served four years but in any case it would likely not be considered a 'petty offence'.

Why not report it to Bangkok Journalist Andrew Drummond, who is currently giving all Pattaya Scam artists a hard time.

He'd love to hear your story and maybe he already has a file on the person in question.

www.andrew-drummond.com

I am not sure why this would be a misdemeanor (which is a US term and normally results in less than one year in jail) if he served four years but in any case it would likely not be considered a 'petty offence'.

I was not referring to the "villain" of this topic as having only committed a "misdemeanour", it was more to do with my interpretation of the word, ie a adolescent who commits a crime that they serve a few months in prison for (in the UK this could be a suspended sentence), may many years after even though they are a model citizen be refused entry to Thailand according to the "English translation of" the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979).

Edited by Basil B

Why not report it to Bangkok Journalist Andrew Drummond, who is currently giving all Pattaya Scam artists a hard time.

He'd love to hear your story and maybe he already has a file on the person in question.

www.andrew-drummond.com

Good idea thanks for that. Theres a few people in Pattaya he has done for money as well who cant be bothered to take him to court. all the hassle and they know he is always giving it to his Thai Girlfriend. "like getting blood out of a stone" one has said to me this week. However they may well be happy to have there say as well to put an end to his stay in the Land Of Smiles. Single voices rarely stop conmen, its takes a collective i guess.

I was not reffering to to the "villan" of this topic as having only committed a "misdemeanor", it was more to do with my interpritation of the word, ie a adolecent who commits a crime that they serve a few months in prison for (in the UK this could be a suspended sentance), may many years after even though thay are a model citizan be refused entry to Thailand according to the "English translation of" the Immigration Act of Thailand B.E. 2522 (1979).

Thailand doesn't really care, as long as you're bringing money with you! They care only when "someone else" (who is deemed important enough to take note of, i.e. an embassy, Interpol, incensed media after public outcry, etc.) cares and makes a fuss! That's when they get off their <deleted> and put immigration "law" into motion. That's why there are so many foreign crooks, villains, and aparently now, terrorists all over the country... not just in Pattaya. There are some good people in Pattaya too, just as there are some not-so-nice individuals out in the sticks!

We all know the "law" in Thailand is very subjective, and very adaptable, especially where foreigners are concerned. Remember, we are all only tolerated, and we all outlive our usefulness eventually! No exceptions! If you are seen as any kind of burden on Thai society, they will have you removed as quick as look at you.

Keep your head down and keep smiling though, and only a moron will get themselves removed from the immigration register. At the end of the day, they don't like confrontation, and will generally avoid it until there is no other option. But expect swift action when they do decide something needs to be done.

They don't like being caught with their pants down and looking bad/incompetent in foreign media. That's why the pop star was refused entry... because there was already a media outcry, and all eyes were on where he would go next. Had he left 6 Cambodia months earlier of his own accord, he would no doubt be sitting in a little village here in Thailand under the radar now... until someone caught him fiddling!

I still say report the Vigo as stolen. Your wife has the book, in her name... If it was sold legitimately, surely the new owner would have the book?! Deny point blank that you agreed to allow this "broker" (con man) to sell the vehicle for you. As far as anyone is concerned, he took it without your or your wife's consent! wink.png

If you have papers in your wife's name still, just report the Vigo as stolen!

This is where the "Fraud" starts and takes away the simple theft in his eyes at least.

When he said he had someone to buy it he sent over some Power of Attorney forms. blanks for my wife to sign. there was an outstanding balance to Toyota of 200,000 So we was to be left 275,000 baht. He said he didnt want anything as he was a mate. I guessed he was getting 500,000-520,000 so i was ok with the situation.

She signed the forms as we trusted him and sent a copy of her ID card over.

This is where his scam falls down. Her ID card was expired. so he couldnt do the transfer. he asked us to send her UK visa which we did but it was expired as she was waiting for her new visa which came last saturday. So he couldnt use that either.

We was worried as he wouldnt send us any details of who he had sold it to and told us several different storys. Before telling us he had actually sold it for 350,000 baht. Along with threats if we didnt send her copy of her visa etc. We have refused and he has said Go F'k yourselves,they have spent the money and take them to court for it.

He's downfall will be the book and his power of attorney is invalid without a current ID card the lawyers have told us. He's plan has fallen down as he expected us to send her new Visa with a letter from the Thai Consulate in Cardiff. But as we have refused until we get the money he cant contain himself any longer and has to rely on the fact we cant afford to chase him.

Thats his mistake. We have some friends who have paid for my wifes ticket and lets call it a "War Chest" to assist her efforts when she lands in Thailand. Some friends have put on some transport for her and Toyota Chonburi have and are being very helpful. We know his Thai girlfriend has been desperatley tring to get the book in the last week but Toyota wont help her.

So thats a fraud rather than an out right theft. (Allegedly coffee1.gif)

Its funny after this happened several people came forward and said we wanted to warn you about him but we didnt think it was any of our business. Its a shame they didnt. before the hit-the-fan.gif

What a bloody mess. To be able to sell the car for you, you or your wife must have signed some kind of power of atterney for him or a blank poa. That power of atterney gives the buyer the right to transfer the car without the seller being present. With that paper signed, there is no need for signing the blue book, but the blue book has to be there for the transfer. Hope you understand what I mean ?

I buy and sell 2hand cars, and if I am lucky and sell the car within 2 weeks after I've bought it, I will just pass on the papers from the seller to the new buyer, meaning my name will show nowhere and all the paperwork will still be correct. This guy could have done just that, which leaves you legally in a very weak position.

I know you have 20 years experience of Thailand, I have a little less, but I still think you will get nowhere with police and immigration. I think your best shot would be to contact this guys employer, tell the boss, what has happened. and if they don't want to help you: Name and shame them.

What a bloody mess. To be able to sell the car for you, you or your wife must have signed some kind of power of atterney for him or a blank poa. That power of atterney gives the buyer the right to transfer the car without the seller being present. With that paper signed, there is no need for signing the blue book, but the blue book has to be there for the transfer. Hope you understand what I mean ?

I buy and sell 2hand cars, and if I am lucky and sell the car within 2 weeks after I've bought it, I will just pass on the papers from the seller to the new buyer, meaning my name will show nowhere and all the paperwork will still be correct. This guy could have done just that, which leaves you legally in a very weak position.

I know you have 20 years experience of Thailand, I have a little less, but I still think you will get nowhere with police and immigration. I think your best shot would be to contact this guys employer, tell the boss, what has happened. and if they don't want to help you: Name and shame them.

Does the POA have to have a valid ID attached to it. And also the book is in my wifes name. He has no proof of paying us.

Sorry, And my wife has the book.

Sorry, you're buggered then! :(

It's ironic that in trying to do it legitimately, it's left the scammer in a stronger position than yourself. Isn't it always the case... just like how the "doley's" in the UK can somehow flout the system and get untold handouts, while honest hard-working people down on their luck will stuggle endlessly! Look around the local council estate, and see all those 4x4's and late model cars parked outside!

I hope you find a solution. Like you say, it's probably not even about the money; it's the principle! I too would look for a way to see him taken out of the country if I could. Much more satisfying, and would hurt him much more I think.

Good luck.

Does the POA have to have a valid ID attached to it. And also the book is in my wifes name. He has no proof of paying us.

I don't know about Thai Law specifically, but in general, no, POA don't have to have a valid ID attached to it, but then most POA I did were notarized, and the notary certainly did check the person's ID.

How can your wife have the book, if the car is on finance ? 200.000 to Toyota ? By the way DLT will transfer the car if paperwork is correct, don't care about receipt !

Finance was cleared and the book has to go to my wife. its her contract and she brought the car. Toyota wont sidestep the buyer in issueing the book. Our lawyers already made them aware of whats happened. They have told my wife dont worry she can have her book within an hour or so or her getting to Toyota in her name.

Sorry, you're buggered then! sad.png

It's ironic that in trying to do it legitimately, it's left the scammer in a stronger position than yourself. Isn't it always the case... just like how the "doley's" in the UK can somehow flout the system and get untold handouts, while honest hard-working people down on their luck will stuggle endlessly! Look around the local council estate, and see all those 4x4's and late model cars parked outside!

I hope you find a solution. Like you say, it's probably not even about the money; it's the principle! I too would look for a way to see him taken out of the country if I could. Much more satisfying, and would hurt him much more I think.

Good luck.

The lawyer says we are Ok. He has spoken to the police about our case. I dont think we are buggered. He has also spoken to Toyota and they know that he with his bird are trying to Scam us.

The lawyer said he isnt going anywhere and just wait.

But yes i want to have him for this without a doubt. just biding my time until this is sorted then the hit-the-fan.gif

I may send his picture to every shortime bar and gogo in Pattaya and ask them to check there cctv when they get or have been busted in the past. If he shows up then he was the grass or handed the marked money over for the shorttime upstairs. He may just be full of B/S but he may have been doing that as he has told a couple of close mates he has fallen out with since. Bit of Thai justice would be good for him. On the other hand it may just be him trying to make out to close pals he has connections etc. Who knows. theres so much Shiiite come out of some guys in Pattaya.

I was told you know when he's lieing.

" He has his mouth open"

LOL i guess they maybe correct.

I would make arrangements for your wife to meet with the very helpful Toyota people somewhere else but not at the dealership. If this sh!thead's already had his dodgy girlfriend hassle Toyota, there may be the chance of something inopportune happening as they really need that book and know your wife is coming to get it. If any of your Pattaya mates (apart from the ones that didn't like to warn you about this turd until after the fact) have a 'friendly' off-duty policeman they can ask to assist, maybe get him to tag along like with the wife... just in case. The scumbag looks like he has 'sold' the truck but can't deliver the goods without the book so could be desperate enough to try something really silly if the book and 'POA' that your wife signed is all he needs to get your money.

I would make arrangements for your wife to meet with the very helpful Toyota people somewhere else but not at the dealership. If this sh!thead's already had his dodgy girlfriend hassle Toyota, there may be the chance of something inopportune happening as they really need that book and know your wife is coming to get it. If any of your Pattaya mates (apart from the ones that didn't like to warn you about this turd until after the fact) have a 'friendly' off-duty policeman they can ask to assist, maybe get him to tag along like with the wife... just in case. The scumbag looks like he has 'sold' the truck but can't deliver the goods without the book so could be desperate enough to try something really silly if the book and 'POA' that your wife signed is all he needs to get your money.

I think theres a truck load from Nakhon Nowhere coming to make sure theres not any problems that cant be resolved.

The Family are pretty pissed off to say the least. My poor wifes had to put up with me for years and she doesnt have a lot to show for it :-( but the money from her pick is/was very important..

More like amazing Britons ! BTW if you have any more cars for sale in that pricebracket, I am buying.

I will also buy one at that price! 100K with 30K on the clock sign me up for 10 now!

Perhaps you should read all the thread first. And then you would understand before making that statement.

In your position, I would consider hiring the services of a well clued up & experienced private detective. They use Thai girls to gain trust and gather information. I wish you good luck.

Edited by Lancashirelad

In your position, I would consider hiring the services of a well clued up & experienced private detective. They use Thai girls to gain trust and gather information. I wish you good luck.

Thanks for the good wishes. I am having to let the Thais deal with it but I would like to see the nasty piece of work brought to book here as well. I have brought the dot com of his name and when this is sorted I am goner put his face and a list of someof his offences up for the world to see. I have to goto harrow and Watford to get the newspaper archives of when he got down for fraud. That was linked to real estate as well. And now he's general manager for a big developer in Chonburi province. Hardly the best thing on your cv. Well not if you want to stay in your job. I have a feeling he is going to rue the day he crossed me.

• 2 months later...

Just an Update, We retrieved our pickup with the help of a very handy Lawyer, by the name of Khun Pot. We have sold it for in excess of 500,000 so alls well there clap2.gif .

The Scoundrel Julw00t.gif #n S~whistling.gif &!5y who is the General Manager at $@ermm.gif r!X has told us he will report us for defamation if we mention his name in this matter. That words very similiar to what he done to us except it was Deficate cheesy.gif .

Thanks for all the helpful comments received wai.gif and the private messages from some of his other victims. Especially the lady he cheated, you have my heartfelt sympathyssad.png , My apologises for cnot coming back to you again, the whole episode has been quite stressful as it was our last assett we had.

I was amazed how people could recognize him and sidekick thai G/F ( the letter after A) As i turned the stones lots of ugly things crawled out that where related to him blink.png .

A full file is being presented to Immigration and a few other interested departments hit-the-fan.gif . I dont know wether they will act, however in for a penny in for a £.

To all you guys out there who said it was hopeless beatdeadhorse.gif .

Persistance my friends Persistance. partytime2.gif

If any people out there would like Khun Pots details if they have a Legal problem send me a P/M as i dont suppose its in the rules to post his details. Whilst i cannot guarantee anything, i do know he is very capable.

In the past he did get cleared off an attempted Murder charge and now he has sorted this spot on.thumbsup.gif