Non O Multi 90 Days Deactivation Land Xing

coffee1.gif I just looked at the exit Thailand and enter Cambodia dates on the Cambodian visas I still have in my passport from my border runs.

I hadn't reaised it before but according to the stamped dates I apparently left Thailand and entered Cambodia one day and then departed Cambodia and entered Thailand the next day. At least that's what the stamps say.

Of course, that's not what really happened at any time....but in my PASSPORT that is how it appears.

That's how they kept it "legal".

In actual fact, ny border runs were about a 12 hour 16 passenger van trip...one hour lunch stop at the border. All completed in one day trip. The visa run company took your passports at the border, and you get it back about 15 minutes later with a Cambodian visa in it. Then you did that exit Thailand and re-enter thing I mentioned before.

Two short toliet and/or coffee stops from Bangkok tp the border, the "lunch" break at the border, and one stop on the way back

Now what is a hassle about that?

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Hi

I may be terribly mistaken, and/or maybe this only applies in Bangok (?), but I have a Non-O, and for the 90 days registration I have succesfully used the "send in the one-page form" from the Immigration web site (with appropriate copies of passport and TM47 etc.) for at least the last year, and a number of times before that (means you do not have to exit/enter-exit/enter). Fill in the form, make the appropriate passport page copies , sign as they do on each page, include the previous 'slip' if you did the letter version last time (make your own copy so you have in case ;-) and remember to use registered or EMS to them, include a letter with the THB 6 stamp [correct postage that is] and your address in the package, send this 10 (ten) days before expiry and you'll usually get it pretty effectively returned within time. Only once did I get worried 'cause I hadn't received the slip back and I'd sent it from out-of-BKK, and went in and they'd just sent it the day before - but "no Hassle" I got a copy there and then.

I'd like to use the opportunity to commend Immigration Bangkok. Ever since they moved there's been a different atmosphere and "professionality" to the Service they provide - from individuals attitude, thru time and to assistance in finding whats appropriately correct. Keep it up ;-) !! Providing a Visa is not an obligation and being a Visa-holder is not a right one has, but it sure makes it much less an ordeal when folks are civilised and try their best to realise it isn't always simple to understand procedures and changes (...).

Nils

I may be terribly mistaken, and/or maybe this only applies in Bangok (?), but I have a Non-O, and for the 90 days registration I have succesfully used the "send in the one-page form" from the Immigration web site (with appropriate copies of passport and TM47 etc.) for at least the last year, and a number of times before that (means you do not have to exit/enter-exit/enter).

You are mistaken and I hope it is just the last sentence for your sake. Do you have a one year extension of stay from Immigration or are you here on a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate? Big difference.

On a one year extension of stay you only have to report address every 90 days using that TM.47 form so you are doing fine.

On a one year multi entry visa you must exit the country every 90 days to obtain a new entry and you are overstay from the last stamp of permitted to stay in your passport.

What is of concern is your saying you must exit/enter which you do not have to do on one year extension of stay but you must do on visa entry and on visa entry you do not do TM47 reporting as you can not stay longer than 90 days (unless a non immigrant O-A long stay). Perhaps you are just highlighting the advantage of extension over visa entry?

• Like 1

But mistaken how? That is the important question. Did you believe that even on an a one year extension of stay you had to leave every 90 days? In fact on an extension of stay you can not leave at all and keep it unless you obtain a re-entry permit first so remember that also. I hope you are on a one year extension of stay.

If you are here on a visa entry you need to correct your status and will have a 20,000 baht overstay fine due.

My pet theory on why they're allowing this in some circumstances - the border mafia on the other-country side hasn't been chipping in their proper payments, so the Thais play at denying them revenue for a while. Once the Laos/Cambodian border guys start sending over the required cash, then the law will be strictly enforced again.

Generally it's best to follow the letter of the law, especially if it isn't too inconvenient or expensive for you.

Unless you have evidence then this is an accusation insinuating that Thai border officials are on the take and working in collusion with other corrupt immigration officials in Laos and Cambodia.

I very much doubt this is the case.

Unless you have evidence then this is an accusation insinuating that Thai border officials are on the take and working in collusion with other corrupt immigration officials in Laos and Cambodia.

I very much doubt this is the case.

In this particular case, I clearly stated it was just a theory, but based on my experience, trying to imagine why the procedures would change from one time to the next, in some cases benefitting the Laos border operation and in some cases denying them revenue.

And I'm not "insinuating" or "accusing" anything, just stating commonly known and obvious facts, of course Thai border officials are on the take, why should they be different from every other kind of Thai official? I'm not saying every official would take money to cover everything, just the normal little scams approved by the local station chief to provide money for their whiskey and mia nois.

How do you think all those agencies "facilitating" breaches of the regulations are operating?

I can give specific examples from my own experience, but I believe that would violate forum rules. I've seen some posted right here in this thread already though, for example where the dates are being fudged to show a full day's stay outside Thailand. Do you think they're doing this (breaking the law) just for the convenience of the foreigner? No, it's probably part of the package of services being provided the visa-run company in exchange for their monthly contribution to that station chief.

Again - I admit all this is pure speculation.