Applying For 60 Day Extension At Jomtien

I went to Jomtien immigration today, I have 30 days visa exempt until 15th April and wanted to apply for a 60 day extension based on being married to a Thai.

What with Songkran and all the public holidays coming up, I thought I'd do myself a favour and apply early, so I popped along to Jomtien today.

It was chocker block inside, standing room only. The trainee staff on reception were rushed off their feet and me and my wife spoke to a bloke who was sat at the counter casually eating a bowl of noodles.

My wife told him why we were there and he said I'd come too early, and that if they gave me the 60 day extension it would start today and not when my 30 days expire on 15th April. He said it was too busy and advised us to come back nearer the time, even suggesting coming back on 9th April, which according to my wife is a public holiday and the office will be closed?

Needless to say, what he said about the extension starting today was rubbish. I got my stamp and it starts once my 30 days run out on 15th April.

It was busy today but I saw some real poor customer service. Passports being snatched out of hands, pens rudely tossed towards customers when they asked to use one, snapping and shouting at customers. Very poor.

Your wife was right, April 9 is public holidays. unbelievable indeed, how rude :-(

The public holiday is the 6th not the 9th - Chakri Memorial Day วันจักรี.
Commemorates the establishment of the Chakri Dynasty and the founding of Bangkok by King Budda Yodfa Chulualoke in 1782. Officially known as King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke the Great Day and Chakri Dynasty Memorial Day (วันพระบาทสมเด็จพระพุทธยอดฟ้าจุฬาโลกมหาราชและวันที่ระลึกมหาจักรีบรมราชวงศ์).

I think whatever is applied for does start on the day it's granted. Going a week early for my 90 day reporting did indeed start the 90 day period from the day of granting.

No - extensions start from the Permitted to Stay Until date, not the date of application.

90 day reporting and extensions are a completely different thing.

You can't really blame them, they have to deal with a lot of annoying foreigners all day long. I would be throwing pens and shouting at them as well if not worse. There is one guy in that office who I really don't like, always has an attitude that he is so important because he grants extensions. I am very thankful when I get the other guy working and not him.

I'm just home from Jomtien Immigration. I went 12 days early for my 90-day because of all the holiday craziness coming up. The office was busy, perhaps a 100 farang jammed in there, but the place was humming along efficiently. Two people were handling the 90-day desk, each of them taking about 1 minute per transaction. I was in & out in roughly 9 minutes.

It was easy and well worth losing the 12 days.

You may go back and be told that you need to apply at the immigration office that covers the wife's tapian baan address... They told me this.. unbelievable I know!

Yes this came up yesterday but luckily didn't cause us a big problem. They wouldn't accept my wife's tabien baan from Khorat.

I blame myself though for listening to the advice of one of the trainees last week, I should have known better. She told us to bring my wife's tabien baan but she didn't explain that they would only accept a tabien baan relating to an address in Chonburi Province.

I ended up having to show rent receipts from the condo where we live and a letter from the manager to explain how long we've lived there together. Luckily we already had this from when we applied for my wife's UK visa.

It is crazy because so many Thai people come to work in places like Pattaya and Bangkok but originate from elsewhere. More often than not they'll be living in rented accomodation and wont have a tabien baan for Pattaya or Bangkok.

You can't really blame them, they have to deal with a lot of annoying foreigners all day long. I would be throwing pens and shouting at them as well if not worse. There is one guy in that office who I really don't like, always has an attitude that he is so important because he grants extensions. I am very thankful when I get the other guy working and not him.

Sounds like you're talking about the passport snatcher, usually sits at desk number 2, the smaller of the 2 men who deal with extensions. Looks gay, too. He was an arsehol_e yesterday.

Your wife was right, April 9 is public holidays. unbelievable indeed, how rude :-(

The public holiday is the 6th not the 9th - Chakri Memorial Day วันจักรี.
Commemorates the establishment of the Chakri Dynasty and the founding of Bangkok by King Budda Yodfa Chulualoke in 1782. Officially known as King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke the Great Day and Chakri Dynasty Memorial Day (วันพระบาทสมเด็จพระพุทธยอดฟ้าจุฬาโลกมหาราชและวันที่ระลึกมหาจักรีบรมราชวงศ์).

9th is holiday for the funeral of King Rama VI's daughter HRH Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda

Edited by taichiplanet