Highway Driver Types

Joeb

I have had the joy of driving Highway 36 between east Pattaya and Rayong about 1000 times in the last 20 years or so. I thought I would share my list of the driver types I meet everyday who really irritate me. No particular order as different ones get to me each day.

1. The F1 Wannabe – These guys think the road is a race track and any car in front of them is a challenge which must be overcome. They drive at high speed, changing lanes every few seconds and are happy to drive off the road to get around someone. The typically drive an older car with a bad paint job, no muffler, cheap looking spoiler and lots of stickers all over the car.
  2. The Entitled – These guys drive much like No. 1 but consider the cars in front of them as an insult to their position in society and seem required to flash their lights or honk their horn before passing. They love to tailgate. Historically drive a Benz or BMW but now days they also seem to dive a Camry or Fortuner (I could write a book on Fortuner drivers.)
  3. Large Trucks – There are a number of hills on the road, On each one it seems that one underpowered truck thinks he can pass another. By the top of the hill they are side by side, one doing 40km/hr and the other doing 40.5km/hr. If there are 3 lanes then you end up with 3 across.
  4. The U-Turner – This is a guy who knows that somewhere in the next 5km he will need to make a U-turn so to prepare himself he gets in the right lane, slows to 50km/hr and drives there until he reaches the U-turn. This just drives 1 and 2 above crazy.
  5. The delivery truck – Beware any pickup with a closed box on the back. He is being paid to break the land speed record to deliver something and nothing will stand in his way.
  6. The Farang – These are folks who seem to think that because they are not in their home country they are above the law and can drive in any way they wish. They typically drive a rented Vios.

Highway 36 has always been a dangerous road. Better than it was 20 years ago but still not a fun place to be driving. Add the guys above to the general tendency to tailgate bay almost all drivers and getting to and from work is a real adventure.

We went down to Khao Chamao on Monday and came back yesterday.

All those types types mentioned were present on the 344 as well. Could not tell if foreigners were driving except for yours truly. (Not a Vios btw)

Seems to me you forgot one type. The country locals who drive with absolutely no clue what they are doing in vehicles that do not deserve being on the road.

We saw 4 accidents on the way up yesterday. 2 minor ones where it was obvious that people were impatient and just touched.2 others were serious. A brand new Toyota pick up mangled to bits. A truck pulling a reefer container not being able to brake on time for a traffic light and plunging through the mid section.

You know, I prefer to drive in Bangkok and on the real motorways

A truck pulling a reefer container not being able to brake on time for a traffic light and plunging through the mid section.

I was in a ten car accident 3 weeks ago when a truck with a 40' container and no brakes took out a line of us waiting for a red light. Not even safe to stop at a light.

• Like 1

Just got back to Thailand after a year and it was quite crazy to see the way Thais drive. There is another driver type, the ones who change lanes and see that there is a motorcycle driver ahead of them so they drive as fast and hard as they can to get as close to the motorcycle driver as they can, for what purpose, perhaps intimidation? It seems many Thai drivers have the annoying habit of accelerating on the highway and then taking their foot off the gas, accelerating, foot of gas, instead of just driving at a consistent speed. Overall, if I drove the way they do I would be dead in a week. They really do have no regard for human life when they get behind the wheel of a car.

You should try driving between Chumphon and Ranong, tight winding road that almost matches Kangaroo Valley near Nowra in New South Wales, problem here is you come around a tight blind corner and find yourself nose to nose with a car coming the opposite direction on the wrong side of the road, often a commuter bus full of passengers. I often wonder how many Thai drivers would have a licence if they had the same learning and testing routine here as in Australia, that is being required to learn in traffic with a registered driving school and being tested on the road in traffic.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 2

You should try driving between Chumphon and Ranong, tight winding road that almost matches Kangaroo Valley near Nowra in New South Wales, problem here is you come around a tight blind corner and find yourself nose to nose with a car coming the opposite direction on the wrong side of the road, often a commuter bus full of passengers. I often wonder how many Thai drivers would have a licence if they had the same learning and testing routine here as in Australia, that is being required to learn in traffic with a registered driving school and being tested on the road in traffic.

id guess about 10-15% :D

A truck pulling a reefer container not being able to brake on time for a traffic light and plunging through the mid section.

I was in a ten car accident 3 weeks ago when a truck with a 40' container and no brakes took out a line of us waiting for a red light. Not even safe to stop at a light.

Shit, sorry to see that. Hope you were not badly hurt. Already had our run-in with a 10-wheel truck in Pichai.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

Wow - a really original thread about Thai driving standards. Never seen that before.

Fact is, there are variants of the 'types' mentioned by the OP in most western countries in which I've driven, and whatever their faults, the Thais don't display the self-righteous aggression which characterises most drivers in the UK, who all seem to think to think that they are wonderful and lapse into paroxysms of rage at the slightest perceived fault of others around them.

Bangkok excepted, I find driving in Thailand less stressful than driving in the UK

Like the OP, I have been driving that section of Hiway 36 at least once a week since they widened in 2001. His description of driver types is very good, except he was just making a political statement about 4 of them There is no difference in the driving style between his “F1 Wannabe”, “Entitled”, “delivery truck”, and the “farang”.

Actually all there are 4 types.

1. The ones that drive too fast, often changing lanes unsafely. I would not presume to understand their motivation for doing so. It can vary too much for me to make a judgment based on the type of car or pickup truck. They are all the same to me. Best to stay out their way and give them room. They are the type you mostly see upside down after a tangle with the trucks from #2. Very rarely have they involved other cars.

2. Heavy trucks passing on hills when they think they can go 2 Km/hr faster than the truck in front of them.

3. People driving in the right lane and not giving way to faster traffic.

4. Normal drivers that go a safe speed and give way when a faster car approaches.

The vast majority of the cars are driven by #4 types, but as they don’t irritate you or make you take evasive action, you don’t notice them as you do type #1-3.

Note that I drove the Southern Calif. Freeways for some 30 years, All these types exist there as well and I’m not sure the percentages are much different.

TH

Wow - a really original thread about Thai driving standards. Never seen that before.

Fact is, there are variants of the 'types' mentioned by the OP in most western countries in which I've driven, and whatever their faults, the Thais don't display the self-righteous aggression which characterises most drivers in the UK, who all seem to think to think that they are wonderful and lapse into paroxysms of rage at the slightest perceived fault of others around them.

Bangkok excepted, I find driving in Thailand less stressful than driving in the UK

In the UK if someone tail gates me, i slam on the breaks. They soon keep back. I wouldn't do that in Thailand........high chance of being shot or stabbed.

• Like 1

Do not forget to take your pills. Thais dont display the self-righteous aggression????? hahahaha

Great, thank you, i am having a laughter attack

Here or there drivers. They straddle the line because they are not sure where they want to be Blocking both due to thier slow speed and not letting anyone to pass

Sabi sabi drivers that I wonder what the point is. They are just out showing off thier ride or have nowehre to go or nothing better to do and no clue what's going on around them.

I hate the BMW or MB drivers 10 cm off your tail the most. That's about the time I do a quick brake check to see if they are still working on my car or truck. Hand brake works wonders too !

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed, again.
  • Like 1

When i first started driving here it used to drive me round the bend, now I just expect the worse and it usually happens, good fun trying to second guess some of them, especially the un-decided what lane guys laugh.png

i do this, i drive quite quickly, but leave abundant space and keep a running internal monologue about who will do something stupid next. it really is quite easy to predict where the trouble will come from, i suppose looking far ahead is an instinct i have left over from my years on a motorcycle.

(I could write a book on Fortuner drivers.)

+1

I believe in Thailand before taking delivery of a black Fortuner it is a legal requirement to sign a declaration that you are a #### and will drive like one too,

Edited by mca

In the UK if someone tail gates me, i slam on the breaks. They soon keep back. I wouldn't do that in Thailand........high chance of being shot or stabbed.

that old trick doesnt work so well when your on a motorcycle and theyre in a 2 tonne pick up :D

• Like 1

The ones that annoy me most are those that just need to be in front despite the fact that we are both tootling along at +120 kph. I mean it is Thailand <deleted>! What on earth could be so good that you have to get there 3 minutes before everyone else? Then, once they pass you, they pull back to the left.... and slow down! It's like, "Oh, shit! Now I am at the front, I have to make the decisions on overtaking slow trucks, dodging wrong-way motorcycles and watching for right-lane hogging buses."

+1

I believe in Thailand before taking delivery of a black Fortuner it is a legal requirement to sign a declaration that you are a #### and will drive like one too,

When I am really, REALLY pissed off, I rent a Fortuner and go for a drive.

213, Somdet to Sakon. Like many other winding roads. How on earth the Thais have the balls to overtake on a blind bend.

Oh my apologies to the farang behind me yesterday here in Rawai on a narrow road. I approached a T junction and signalled right then changed my mind after approx 2 seconds then signalled left. Honking his horn and giving the bird once he passed. My reply was to give a nice wave and a big smile. Tool.

+1

I agree fortuner drivers are the most dangerous. Few exceptions here and there but most of them are really crazy.

Also Thais have no respect for motorbikes. I hate it when i am on a dual carriageway and someone comes on my lane forcing me in the dirt so he can overtake. I must say it happens too when i drive the care but less frequent.

+1

I agree fortuner drivers are the most dangerous. Few exceptions here and there but most of them are really crazy.

Also Thais have no respect for motorbikes. I hate it when i am on a dual carriageway and someone comes on my lane forcing me in the dirt so he can overtake. I must say it happens too when i drive the care but less frequent.

Fortuna must be the Thai Volvo -_-

bad drivers are everywhere especially Thailand but I do agree with your statement about driving in the U.K especially greater London where there are those of asian and african origin are prevelant, I had the misfortune to drive through Ilford just outside the east end on a Sunday the other week and it kind of reminded me of driving in Thailand, lots of people muscling for their spot but refusing to acknowlege there were others on the road who had the right of way!

All those infringements and i appear to be the only one who has come up against the pick up or motorbike coming towards me in the m/c lane because its only 1 klm to the next right turn and not worth going across the road for 1 klm and then turning back across ! This seems to happen a lot on main country roads. I encounter it every time i drive between Surat Thani and Donsak for the Koh Samui ferry.

Well, I'll be the first to say I own a Fortuner......hit-the-fan.gif waiting for the rocks to be thrown my way....but I sure do see a lot of Fortuners breaking every rule of the road and common sense.

I guess i'm as safe a driver as most of the posters here, dare I hope. I have the same viewpoints here regarding driver types. You never know who/where or when somebody driving here will pull a bonehead move. I've also learned to really keep my head on a swivle, especially when coming to an intersection. Traffic light, Hah, we don't need any traffic lights, seem to be the norm just about anywhere here. When the light turns green, its time to look twice before moving. The one style driver that gets to me is the guy driving 40-50 kph, in a 100 kph strech of road with no possibilty of passing becase it is a two-lane road and traffic stacked 25 deep behind him. Nothing you can do but take a deep breath and find some music to listen to. Sometimes I'll make an unscheduled stop for 10-15 minutes just to let the madness get up the road a ways. After rare long trips, a cold case of beer does wonders to melt the tension after the long drive is finished.

All those infringements and i appear to be the only one who has come up against the pick up or motorbike coming towards me in the m/c lane because its only 1 klm to the next right turn and not worth going across the road for 1 klm and then turning back across ! This seems to happen a lot on main country roads. I encounter it every time i drive between Surat Thani and Donsak for the Koh Samui ferry.

I see plenty of motorbikes here on the wrong side of the road. To b e fair the U turns are crazy here sometimes you have to go 8 km to get somewhere 4km away. Even on the bike i just drive the 8km (ok 1 or 2 times i did not) because its dangerous.