Battery Troubles After 5 Or More Days Sitting

Another travail of the ancient Ke-70:

This has happened to me several times after short trips of 5-10 days: I return to try to start my car at around 2-3 AM and the battery is weak. I get about one good crank out of it, and and after that it will still turn the motor slightly, but not fast enough to start it. I've then cranked away for a good 30 more seconds, and then given up.

The weird thing is the next day, two out of the three times this has happened, the car has started just fine at about three in the afternoon. (the third time I started it at night by having the security guards push it and clutch-starting it). I'm amazed that the car will start a day after the battery appeared to weak. Could it be the temperature difference? Doesn't seem like that much of a difference.

I'm considering getting a new battery as this one is about 5 years old, but hesitate to do so because of the expense, and after all the car still starts. Perhaps it could be a slow drain or something else. Its not as if the battery is dead, and when I stop by the repair shops to have it checked it has a good power (amps or whatever they're called) and is approved as 'fine' by the shop.

I had a problem that the radio would come on automatically, then one day parked at a superstore, came back nothing, had to get put on the back of a truck and next day new battery.

Had a problem like yours with a ford in the UK, was the brushes on the alternator, they were not doing their job properly, sometimes it would not start and the battery needed charging, sometimes it would start without problems.

No, the alternator is good, as the battery has a good charge in it when tested at the shop. Its just that this charge seems to diminish after just 5-10 days. I'd like to be able to leave it for a couple of weeks at least and still be confident of it starting (I don't really like to drive cars much, preferring motorbikes, and use it only a few times a month).

5 years for a car battery in Thailand is quite long. Most people seem to only get 2 to 3 years out of them. Batteries deteriorate much quicker in these hot climates, and when they die they usually go suddenly and without warning -- no problem on Monday and then dead as a doornail on Tuesday. Count yourself very fortunate to get 5 years of service and also that it's being nice to give you the hint that it's time for a replacement.

5 years for a car battery in Thailand is quite long. Most people seem to only get 2 to 3 years out of them. Batteries deteriorate much quicker in these hot climates, and when they die they usually go suddenly and without warning -- no problem on Monday and then dead as a doornail on Tuesday. Count yourself very fortunate to get 5 years of service and also that it's being nice to give you the hint that it's time for a replacement.

not just Thailand. i work on priciple that with the high compression engines in cars now a battery is only good for 2 years after that it is the hands of the gods if you get 5 years i say great the next one may not last that long

5 years on the battery? Buy a new one, and see if that improves things.

A good battery here cost quite a lot, just to see if that is the problem cool.png

2 years ago had the same sort of problem, checked the battery almost 10 years old, so bought a new one, with discount + old battery 3,960 baht... 4 days later tried to start and no power in it to start...... jump started and took to the local Thai mechanic, was something to go with the climate control shorting, he fixed it and re gassed the system total cost 400 baht, leave it a week and still starts 1st time, + gets colder quicker....

There again when I had a Thai built car and battery, every battery lasted 14 to 15 months, [had 3 in 4 years] but cost only 980 baht fitted by Honda. [3,000 baht cheaper than a German battery!]

(the third time I started it at night by having the security guards push it and clutch-starting it)

CQ,

Your wife has hidden a magic charm in your car to stop you going to the bars at night.

5 years on the battery? Buy a new one, and see if that improves things.

A good battery here cost quite a lot, just to see if that is the problem cool.png

2 years ago had the same sort of problem, checked the battery almost 10 years old, so bought a new one, with discount + old battery 3,960 baht... 4 days later tried to start and no power in it to start...... jump started and took to the local Thai mechanic, was something to go with the climate control shorting, he fixed it and re gassed the system total cost 400 baht, leave it a week and still starts 1st time, + gets colder quicker....

There again when I had a Thai built car and battery, every battery lasted 14 to 15 months, [had 3 in 4 years] but cost only 980 baht fitted by Honda. [3,000 baht cheaper than a German battery!]

With a 5 year old battery? The battery has to be replaced anyway, so might as well do it and probably solve the problem as well, in stead of searching for other causes to the problem.

If you can't afford a new battery, park on a hill. Put car in 2nd. or 3rd. depress clutch and release brake. Once the car is moving fast enough turn on ignition and take foot off clutch!

remember he cant afford brakes...........replace that with pull out brick in front of wheel.

• Like 2

Haha guys very funny.

I did dig deep for a new battery today after taking it to a 'dynamo' shop, where the nice man checked it for free and said that though the battery had good power, it was near to going kaput (he opened the little screw top things on the battery and showed me that inside it was all black/brown like some kind of chemical reaction taking place.

I believed him too, as he did not sell batteries! Down the road from there I got one for 2,500 baht. Ouch! Will have to wait for my next holiday (Song Kran) to test its ability to withstand a week sitting.

Haha guys very funny.

I did dig deep for a new battery today after taking it to a 'dynamo' shop, where the nice man checked it for free and said that though the battery had good power, it was near to going kaput (he opened the little screw top things on the battery and showed me that inside it was all black/brown like some kind of chemical reaction taking place.

I believed him too, as he did not sell batteries! Down the road from there I got one for 2,500 baht. Ouch! Will have to wait for my next holiday (Song Kran) to test its ability to withstand a week sitting.

Should be right for a while now. I know there are things with higher priorities than buying a battery for limited funds but sometimes we have to bite the bullet.

So to the OP , Whats your update , what did you find out and what was the problem , interested in your conclusion to your original problem .

Yes as I said above I bought a new battery.. so far its fine, but only a long spell of dis-use will tell.