What Water Do You Drink?

KRS1

Ive noticed that Crystal brand water has a plastic taste to it if it is not refrigerated. Whats even more frightening is that when i switched to a different brand i noticed less hair on my white tile floor, while i sit at my coffee table i often place my forearms on my knee and type since its a low coffee table and it rubs off. But after switching water brands there is less arm and leg hair on the floor now, and theres more baby hair growing out of my dome.

After changing brands for 2 weeks, i had to buy an unrefrigerated bottle of crystal and when i woke up this morning even after sticking it in the fridge the water tasted weird and it feels like theres a thin film inside my mouth.

What brand of water are you drinking now?

I just buy the 7-11 brand now in the green bottle or Aura. Singha & Chang have to much chlorine in them and makes me feel like im retaining heat.

You're growing hair? A cure for baldness? Lock up the rights fast, westerners will pay a ton for that biggrin.png

I wouldnt say its growing hair, just not weakening the folicles by consuming toxins. I smoke and dont have the healthiest lifestyle. So toxins cant be good.

What brand of water are you drinking now?

I just buy the 7-11 brand now in the green bottle or Aura. Singha & Chang have to much chlorine in them and makes me feel like im retaining heat.

being curious i checked the water we use for CL content. neither Chang, nor Nestle nor Singha showed any chlorine content when tested even when doubling the quantity of the testing liquid.

p.s. i'm a Tcherman. vee Tchermans use water for showers, brushing teeth, doing the laundry, swim in it, make coffee, tea or ice cubes and extinguish fires. but vee don't drink it! ph34r.png

• Like 1

There is something in Singha and Chang, i can taste it and have avoided it for 15 years in Thailand. There has got to be some type of chemical preservative in there. Nestle taste funny to me to btw, really chemically.

chlorine in drinking water

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/environ/chlor-eng.php

google searches

https://www.google.c...iw=1517&bih=741

http://www.water-dri...com/index.shtml

What are you doing with a Chlorine test kit anyway Mr. Naam ?

Edited by KRS1

There is something in Singha and Chang, i can taste it and have avoided it for 15 years in Thailand. There has got to be some type of chemical preservative in there. Nestle taste funny to me to btw, really chemically.

http://www.hc-sc.gc....n/chlor-eng.php

google searches

I think the internet is your problem it will tell you any thing you want to hear.

i haff a pool in vhich i shvim (aktchually i ownlee pretend to shvim) effry day. to kill der bakteria in ze pool i zometimes yews kloreene and zometimes H²O².

• Like 1

http://www.hc-sc.gc....n/chlor-eng.php

google searches

I think the internet is your problem it will tell you any thing you want to hear.

So your disputing the fact that there is chlorine put into water supplies around the world?

i haff a pool in vhich i shvim (aktchually i ownlee pretend to shvim) effry day. to kill der bakteria in ze pool i zometimes yews kloreene and zometimes H²O².

I switched on the SyFy station earlier and jumped when i saw you on Star Trek

It's called Bisphenol-A (BPA) and it causes cancer and lowers sperm count in males. Google it, it's horrible stuff. Thailand is a large producer of the stuff and I'm sure there are no regulations here as to what it's in. I believe it was Canada who recently banned it in foods saying it was toxic.

Unfortunately, it's in almost everything these days.

Your water is not supposed to taste like plastic or anything else. It's water. Whatever you are tasting is not good for you.

It's called Bisphenol-A (BPA) and it causes cancer and lowers sperm count in males. Google it, it's horrible stuff. Thailand is a large producer of the stuff and I'm sure there are no regulations here as to what it's in. I believe it was Canada who recently banned it in foods saying it was toxic.

Your water is not supposed to taste like plastic or anything else. It's water. Whatever you are tasting is not good for you.

What ohhh please lets not get facts in way of a good story.

Bisphenol-A is a nasty but its not found in normal small drinking bottles. BPA is one of the co-monomers used in making Polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is the condensation polymer used in large drinking containers such as the 20L office type dispensers but it is not used in smaller water bottles for two reasons

i) PC is far more expensive than commonly used PE or PET

ii) PC cannot be stretch blow moulded rather it is extrusion blow moulded which is a slower and more expensive process

Water bottles fall into two categories

i) the standard clear ones with a dimple on the bottom are PET which doesn't have any nasties in it and has full FDA approval

ii) the white opaque ones with a smile or pinch line on the bottom which are polyethylene.

I dont dispute that here in Thailand there is probably less prudent control of manufacturing but both PET and PE resins are not made by backyard boys rather they are made by global chemical giants, read Dow/ Eastman/DuPont/Bayer/Sunkyong Industries etc etc.

BPA is neither a monomer nor a by product of PET or PE manufacturing or processing. FYI BPA has been on global NO NO lists for years.

To address OP's point, not sure about how quantifiable the hair on the table test is but certainly don't dispute that here in LOS there maybe certain less than accepted global standard practices in what they add to water. If one is concerned then buy big global name brands such as Nestle... these guys being such a huge global conglomerate put very strict standards on what is permissible.. they simply cant afford globally a scare or report that their Thai operation has been adding a dangerous or less than accaptable additive.

If really concerned it is possible via an analytical testing laboratory such as SGS to have the water tested for halogen content.. I would also have nitrogen content checked as well as that would indicate of someone is using QUAT;s even in the smallest amount in the water.

One word of caution.. one would tend to assume that distilled ater thus is best as its free and pure... NOT SO. The process of osmosis is alive and well in your bodies and your cells will leach mineral ions in large quantities to equalise the ionic strength of the DI water.

Chemistry lesson over .. now relax .......two three four

I have used Glacier water in glass bottles for years,never had

any problems,I believe its the best.

People who use water filters with UV lamps,have to make sure

they change filters and UV lamp,on a regular basis,say every

6 months,maybe sooner ,depending on how much water you

filter, failing to do so, makes the unit useless in killing,viruses,

bacteria,and its so easy to forget to maintain them,thats why

I just buy Glacier in glass bottles ,that has been ozone treated,

and pre filtered, at bht 52 for 24 500cc bottles ,delivered,its a

bargain. I have no connection to Glacier,its just a good product

Regards Worgeordie

Bisphenol-A is a nasty but its not found in normal small drinking bottles. BPA is one of the co-monomers used in making Polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is the condensation polymer used in large drinking containers such as the 20L office type dispensers but it is not used in smaller water bottles for two reasons

ii) PC cannot be stretch blow moulded rather it is extrusion blow moulded which is a slower and more expensive process

i) the standard clear ones with a dimple on the bottom are PET which doesn't have any nasties in it and has full FDA approval

ii) the white opaque ones with a smile or pinch line on the bottom which are polyethylene.

I dont dispute that here in Thailand there is probably less prudent control of manufacturing but both PET and PE resins are not made by backyard boys rather they are made by global chemical giants, read Dow/ Eastman/DuPont/Bayer/Sunkyong Industries etc etc.

BPA is neither a monomer nor a by product of PET or PE manufacturing or processing. FYI BPA has been on global NO NO lists for years.

To address OP's point, not sure about how quantifiable the hair on the table test is but certainly don't dispute that here in LOS there maybe certain less than accepted global standard practices in what they add to water. If one is concerned then buy big global name brands such as Nestle... these guys being such a huge global conglomerate put very strict standards on what is permissible.. they simply cant afford globally a scare or report that their Thai operation has been adding a dangerous or less than accaptable additive.

If really concerned it is possible via an analytical testing laboratory such as SGS to have the water tested for halogen content.. I would also have nitrogen content checked as well as that would indicate of someone is using QUAT;s even in the smallest amount in the water.

One word of caution.. one would tend to assume that distilled ater thus is best as its free and pure... NOT SO. The process of osmosis is alive and well in your bodies and your cells will leach mineral ions in large quantities to equalise the ionic strength of the DI water.

Nestle uses genetically modified ingredients in some of their food products. I try to stay away from them when possible. Big conglomerates dont strike me as a trusting factor.

The water in those white bottles is nasty, you should try drinking some of these brands when they are not cold, some are pretty nasty.

Edited by KRS1

I was put onto Glacier water in glass bottles, and use this for all my drinking. Coffee is the exception - I boil a mug of tap water in the M/wave and no problems.

Some years ago, A school I was teaching at in Indonesia decided to save money by installing their own filtration system.

It worked fine for many months - and then 3 teachers all came down with the nasties. Classes cancelled, general chaos.

Local Staff decided it was time to change the filters!!

Been drinking rain water, off the roof, for 11 years in Thailand and some 15 years prior to that on my hobby farm outside Perth Australia. Stored correctly I have a years worth of fresh, clean, soft water at any one time.

Cutters and tanks are cleaned every year just prior to the wet season, first heavy rains are just let go to clean the roof. The only filters I use is fly screen over fine nylon at the down pipe discharge to the tank.

I know that option is not practical an urban (condo) type environment but well worth considering if possible.

Wonderful!

Been drinking rain water, off the roof, for 11 years in Thailand and some 15 years prior to that on my hobby farm outside Perth Australia. Stored correctly I have a years worth of fresh, clean, soft water at any one time.

Cutters and tanks are cleaned every year just prior to the wet season, first heavy rains are just let go to clean the roof. The only filters I use is fly screen over fine nylon at the down pipe discharge to the tank.

I know that option is not practical an urban (condo) type environment but well worth considering if possible.

Wonderful!

You are a brave brave brave man for drinking Thai rainwater. But i suppose it would be ok in the country, hows it taste ? My family use to do this as a kid in Long Island New York many years ago

Please dont tell me you live in BKK.

Wonderful!

Just as a f'r'instance--what is "stored correctly" for a year at a time? I only ask because, if I go away from Thailand for periods of 2-3 months I tend to sling the water, bought from Glacier, but in large 20 litre plastic bottels--and buy a bunch of fresh ones--yes, I know, the 'fresh ones' are probably just as old as the ones I have just binned--but it gives me a bit of peace of mind.

So, how do you store your nice, fresh rainwater, [which obviously is completely free from preservatives, etc...] for a year at a time??

BTW--I am not being facetious, and I do like the idea of drinking good, clean rainwater--although, with the crap that is in the skies at the moment, is it really that clean??

@KRS1 - I live 80 Km North East of Udon Thani in the middle of Isaan surrounded by rice, rubber and other farm produce. The rain water is pure as the driven snow in Alaska, after the initial monsoon storms

@haybilly - Rain water is stored in 2 cubic meter earthenware or concrete 'jugs' (we have 3, available from anywhere in Isaan) with a sealed lid throughout the dry season. No light, no dust, no bugs etc. and kept reasonably cool. Basically the same as we do in the western world accept there modern construction techniques are used. Don't forget the ancient Romans and others have been storing drinking water for centuries under similar conditions using similar methods.

Like I stated 25 years on rain water and not a single problem. Water is as good in the middle of May as it was at the end of September, or there abouts.

If your body is getting enough minerals from food and or vitamins, then why would your body "leach" minerals into water that is already in your body and being put to use? Not sure I understand this concept. Not sure if I believe it either, as every water source will have different levels of different minerals, so by your rational, what ever mineral is more in the cell than in the water will be leached into the water? Does not seem likely to me. I would think our bodies are more advanced that to just hand over minerals that are needed by the cells to function just because the water has a lower concentration of those minerals.

VIBE if you drink a whole lot of DI water ( de-ionised or distilled.. their is a difference but for here we can use either one) it has no or very little ionic content. Cell membranes are porous and allow passage of water and ions and various other substances through the membarne. To compensate for water with no Ionic strength your cells will pass ions ( sodium, potassium,zinc , magnesium, calcium etc) to try and equilibrate and this will over time leach you of mineral ions. Take the reverse situation.. why when you consume lots of salt do you feel thirsty .. the reason is your body through osmosis again tries to equilibrate the ionic strength and passes water across the membrane to equilibrate te Ionic strength hence you get a thirsty trigger as you become less hydrated.

So it doesn't matter if your diet is excellent in fact has nothing to do with it, if you introduce a zero ionic strength water to your system your body will react to it

This is extract from WHO report on dangers of drinking DI water

It has been adequately demonstrated that consuming water of low mineral content has a negative effect on homeostasis mechanisms, compromising the mineral and water metabolism in the body. An increase in urine output (i.e., increased diuresis) is associated with an increase in excretion of major intra- and extracellular ions from the body fluids, their negative balance, and changes in body water levels and functional activity of some body water management- dependent hormones.