Sunrise Tacos 2Nd Rd. Now Open!

SunriseTacos

The plus plus is an annoyance granted but if the food is good it wont stop me from eating there.

My priniciples are not that high and mighty.

Good food and good menu will still get the customers in regardless of plus plus.

Sunrise has some good dishes but it needs to improve to be classified as good.

Further it does have an identity crisis in that it certainly looks like a fast food franchise yet the pricing and marketing are more restaurant oriented. It would be better if it was more one or the other.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by my previous reviews of this place. To me, it's a real emperor's-new-clothes type issue. The food is not good, and no one is willing to listen to people who say that--unwilling to listen all the way up to the top at Sunrise.

I remember eating one taco with large chunks of fresh fruit, too much mediocre meat inside a gritty, unpleasant corn tortilla and thinking "who in their right mind would find this tasty?"

• Like 1

I stand by my previous reviews of this place. To me, it's a real emperor's-new-clothes type issue. The food is not good, and no one is willing to listen to people who say that--unwilling to listen all the way up to the top at Sunrise.

I remember eating one taco with large chunks of fresh fruit, too much mediocre meat inside a gritty, unpleasant corn tortilla and thinking "who in their right mind would find this tasty?"

Yeah, that's an awful experience and I've had dishes exactly like that there! In some ways, there has been some noticeable degradation of the food experience there over the months. The meats have slipped ... usually. The fruit salsas have gotten even MORE sweet ... totally inauthentic. In Mexico fresh pineapple is served with al pastor meat but it is just the fruit that was cooked on top of the meat roller. You can ask them to not serve the fruit. That's the kind of thing I was talking about with ordering intelligently. As far as the meats, there is a lot of inconsistently. Some visits seem better than others. Kind of pot luck. I think we do deserve better for their price levels.

About the fruit. Some taco dishes come default with sugary fruit mixed on top. The fruit is so sweet now that just taking it off isn't good enough. The flavor of the meat will already have been altered. So you've been warned. You CAN ask for no fruit, or on the side. I think the management would be smarter to fix these things. First, cut the sugar dramatically in the fruit, and secondly, serve the fruit on the side as a default. The sugar level now isn't at Mexican tastes or expat Mexican food lover tastes, it's THAI taste.

On the same theme, I did try the tamarindo there once, a drink I love that IS supposed to be very sweet. Well, their version was BEYOND very sweet.

Edited by Jingthing

We had a place near our home in Oz we nick named "chew and spew". Feel the same about sunrise tacky

Look at the bright side. There still a big space for a better Mexican restaurant to open in Pattaya! The demand is there. Bring us the supply.

As far as prices, Sunrise charges 220 plus plus for one of their standard burritos. Frankly, if they served a burrito that was actually much closer to the experience of a classic San Francisco Mission District style burrito (fresher meats spiced correctly, authentic salsas, refritos that aren't garlic festivals) I personally would be happy to pay MORE than that. It's not so much the prices as what you GET for the money.

Edited by Jingthing

I only ate there once, recently, and "who in their right mind would find this tasty?" summarizes exactly my opinion. I could add "never again".

The rest - ++, not being either a fast food joint nor a proper restaurant - doesn't help, but the poor quality of the food is enough to avoid the place.

I missed hitting the taco Tuesday deal today , it is a fair deal with the slice of pie thrown in at the end.

Not quite sure what people are expecting here but for Tex-Mex this is the best thing going in Pattaya.

I'm with you there. Overall, probably the best in Pattaya. But we want better. No harm in that, is there? Bangkok has better. Why can't we have it better here? You can't say it isn't possible in Thailand, because it is. Edited by Jingthing

I missed hitting the taco Tuesday deal today , it is a fair deal with the slice of pie thrown in at the end.

Not quite sure what people are expecting here but for Tex-Mex this is the best thing going in Pattaya.

I'm with you there. Overall, probably the best in Pattaya. But we want better. No harm in that, is there? Bangkok has better. Why can't we have it better here? You can't say it isn't possible in Thailand, because it is.

I fully agree that we need better .

The best in Pattaya? Hardly. Mike's is way better, as is Sam's. Even the Blue Parrot has better food. Sunrise is

mediocre. ++ only adds to the misery. The only good thing about Sunrise is the salsa bar. The green, tomatillo

salsa is pretty good with chips.

• Like 1

Sorry to say that for the prices they are charging plus tax and service, we have the right to expect better food.

The best in Pattaya? Hardly. Mike's is way better, as is Sam's. Even the Blue Parrot has better food. Sunrise is

mediocre. ++ only adds to the misery. The only good thing about Sunrise is the salsa bar. The green, tomatillo

salsa is pretty good with chips.

Blue Parrot is better? bah.gif Okie dokie. Tastes do vary!

Frankly, if they served a burrito that was actually much closer to the experience of a classic San Francisco Mission District style burrito (fresher meats spiced correctly, authentic salsas, refritos that aren't garlic festivals) I personally would be happy to pay MORE than that. It's not so much the prices as what you GET for the money.

Miguel's in Chiang Mai is the only place I have found burritos like this in Thailand. No, they are not nearly as good as Mission Street, but they would not be too out of place in other parts of the city.

Sam's is on my list of places to try soon. It's right around the corner from Sunrise. I only wish I had known sooner.

Don't get overly excited ...ermm.gif

Sam's is on my list of places to try soon. It's right around the corner from Sunrise. I only wish I had known sooner.

Don't get overly excited ...ermm.gif

NO plus plus

Sunrise is a franchise. Don't they all have the same menu, same plus plus policy, same listed prices? So isn't the beef here with the bigger company rather than this one location?

I am pleased to announce that we will be opening a new location in the Big C extra, on Pattaya klang rd (near the FoodLand). We are in an excellent location, just next to the coupon counter. We will have a more limited menu, but we will still have tacos, burritos, nachos, quesadillas, chicken wraps, etc. We are also offering 4-5 packaged sets, which include a soft drink, chips, etc. There is no VAT, and no service charge here. We have signed the lease, and appointed the contractors already for the remodeling. We take over the space on the 30th at 9pm, and from there, we have 14 days to open. We have most of the equipment already, including a chip warmer, fryer, cold well, hot well, etc., I will upload our 3D rendition here shortly. It is a cool looking space.

I can always be reached with comments, suggestions, complaints, compliments, pity donations, etc., on our face book page. Whenever we run promotions (e.g., our current 2 for 1 margarita promotion), we announce it on Thai Visa and FB first.

Best,

Gil

Edited by SunriseTacos

Sunrise is a franchise. Don't they all have the same menu, same plus plus policy, same listed prices? So isn't the beef here with the bigger company rather than this one location?

I am pleased to announce that we will be opening a new location in the Big C extra, on Pattaya klang rd (near the FoodLand). We are in an excellent location, just next to the coupon counter. We will have a more limited menu, but we will still have tacos, burritos, nachos, quesadillas, chicken wraps, etc. We are also offering 4-5 packaged sets, which include a soft drink, chips, etc. There is no VAT, and no service charge here. We have signed the lease, and appointed the contractors already for the remodeling. We take over the space on the 30th at 9pm, and from there, we have 14 days to open. We have most of the equipment already, including a chip warmer, fryer, cold well, hot well, etc., I will upload our 3D rendition here shortly. It is a cool looking space.

I can always be reached with comments, suggestions, complaints, compliments, pity donations, etc., on our face book page. Whenever we run promotions (e.g., our current 2 for 1 margarita promotion), we announce it on Thai Visa and FB first.

Best,

Gil

I believe some complaints and concerns have been brought up here and you have yet to respond to them.

Personally, I don't have FB and have no intention to sign up. Perhaps you should offer a communication channel that doesn't rely on some 3rd party site like TVF and FB.

• Like 1

Best,

Gil

Well I like that coz my place is only a few streets away and the food in Big C Extra, Thai food stalls are terrible so Sunrise might just do okay there.

I am pleased to announce that we will be opening a new location in the Big C extra ........ There is no VAT, and no service charge here.

Is there are particular reason for that? No eat-in perhaps?

Best,

Gil

So I'm wondering if the prices will be adjusted higher to include the ++ charges or are you actually selling the food for the menu price as posted in Jomtien but doing away with the ++? Why not adapt this policy to your Jomtien location?

Best,

Gil

So I'm wondering if the prices will be adjusted higher to include the ++ charges or are you actually selling the food for the menu price as posted in Jomtien but doing away with the ++? Why not adapt this policy to your Jomtien location?

This policy is for a couple of reasons, mainly being we will not have wait staff. Customers will order food, and then pick up at the serving window, just like the rest of the food court. Also, because our overall operating expenses are lower (e.g. no dishwashing, plates and utensils costs, air con, security, etc) we have made the decision to absorp VAT expense. Big C will deduct from our revenue and make payment on our behalf.

We will be offering several sizes of dishes, the regular size (e.g., Sr) and a smaller, junior size (Jr.) for reduced pricing. Why are we doing this? Because, many customers tell us that our burrito is big. Quesadillas too. If you've ever had it, you might agree. We are trying to appeal to a crowd that does not want to feel stuffed after a huge heavy meal. Smaller portions means we can offer more attractive pricing too, not a bad thing in the Big C world. No pricing has been adjusted upwards to recoup VAT or SC. Sunrise now has 9 restaurants and many more are on the way, with plans afoot for international locations also. Corporate policies are sure to be fluid and changed according to popular demand and or for commercial reasons. One thing is certain though, we are committed to high quality food at reasonable cost backed with a fun and modern Mexican feel. Individual tastes vary widely (ask my wife this one please), and we try to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. Not everyone will agree with our concept, but our growth indicates that we do some things quite well.

Please see our intended design. I think it looks cool. But I'm no architect!

Gil

post-143211-0-06851700-1340788050_thumb.

• Like 1

It is true that people have different tastes. But some things CAN be said that are objective. As someone who has eaten at popular taquerias in the US and Mexico for decades, I can say objectively that the flavor profile of the SALSAS at Sunrise are inauthentic. Not even one of them passes the authentic flavor bar. Someone coming from Russia or France, how would they know that either way? Some of the salsas are pleasant enough for what they are, and the salsa bar is definitely a distinctive selling feature of the Jomtien location, but one can only assume they either don't want to (perhaps cost prohibitive?) or for some reason can't provide authentic flavor. Perhaps people who don't know any better wouldn't care anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

It is true that people have different tastes. But some things CAN be said that are objective. As someone who has eaten at popular taquerias in the US and Mexico for decades, I can say objectively that the flavor profile of the SALSAS at Sunrise are inauthentic. Not even one of them passes the authentic flavor bar. Someone coming from Russia or France, how would they know that either way? Some of the salsas are pleasant enough for what they are, and the salsa bar is definitely a distinctive selling feature of the Jomtien location, but one can only assume they either don't want to (perhaps cost prohibitive?) or for some reason can't provide authentic flavor. Perhaps people who don't know any better wouldn't care anyway.

Quite possibly because their target market is Thai and they are adjusting the flavour to Thai tastes and not to specifically cater to the few people in Thailand that have eaten Mexican food in Mexico or San Francisco?

I mean on a company wide basis as it probably could be viable in a location like Jomtien or Pattaya to provide more authentic tastes for tourists.