• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unwrap the foil as you go and get a nice,

little puddle of grease at the end.

And a matching one in your arteries? ermm.gif

No one ever said we were into Mexican for health reasons.smile.png

Darrell wants to die healthy and rich. smile.png

• Like 1

I went there yesterday for the all-you-can-eat taco special. It's an ok value. Overall, I rate Sunrise as a work in progress.

My main problem with the place is it seems to me there is no real chef there--i.e. no one who has a vision for the food. Whoever decided that large chunks of fruit belong in a taco made a bold decision--and a wrong one in my opinion. There is also too much meat per taco--the meat/tortilla balance is off. Add to that the fact that the soft corn tortillas lack sufficient texture to hold together when eating, and the whole experience is just lacking.

I want this place to be good, but it's just not now. I believe they need to rethink their food. Jingthing says (I believe) that you can get something good if you order correctly, but to me the normal stuff they send out of the kitchen should be a lot better than it is currently.

100% agree with Jimmy. Have been at the Jiomthien place twice, both times was disappointed. Idea is

great, but the dishes we tried leave a lot to wish for in terms of taste and texture. It felt like it was all pre-

packaged warmed up stuff without a chef who will make sure it actually does taste right.

In my opinion better alternatives are available .... but I do wish SunRise good luck and hope they will

improve. The idea does seem right, and I wouldn't mind to pay more if the quality is better ...

rudi

Tacos, Burritos, Nachos and Quesadillas, margaritas are all available. Exactly the same food as the main Jomtien restaurant.
Oops, my mistake. Just a portion of the menu is available.

What?

Some more recent comments about Sunrise.

Another poster complained that the refritos were too garlicky.

At first I poo pooed that but after a second try of them, I have to agree. Unpleasantly too garlicky, is it garlic POWDER, and I'm one who loves garlic! This could be fixed.

Also tried the carne asada for the first time. Carne asada can so very wonderful when the beef is FRESHLY grilled.

This meat I have no doubt was steam table city. Probably a big ask to expect them to grill the beef by order as it should be done in a respectable Mexican restaurant, but I think worth commenting about.

Edited by Jingthing

l like Sunrise at Jomtien.

I think some of their dishes thou need to be better especially the fahijtas. I have had much better elsewhere. I cant comment on all the dishes but i especially liked the fish taco one. It is a big menu maybe they would be better off having a more limited menu to concentrate on quality.

l like Sunrise at Jomtien.

I think some of their dishes thou need to be better especially the fahijtas. I have had much better elsewhere. I cant comment on all the dishes but i especially liked the fish taco one. It is a big menu maybe they would be better off having a more limited menu to concentrate on quality.

I agree the fish tacos is a good dish. They are part of a chain and I think they need to do the complete chain menu.

We tried sunrise taco and were very disappointed! It's sort of Mexican food :-). It's a fast food joint, so what's up with adding tax and service?

Plus plus?

beatdeadhorse.gif

It is a little expensive by Pattayas standards and the plus plus is an annoyance but I still think it represents a nice change of meal when you are in the mood for something different.

Tacos, Burritos, Nachos and Quesadillas, margaritas are all available. Exactly the same food as the main Jomtien restaurant.

What?

Do they have plus plus?

What?

Do they have plus plus?

The truck ain't there no more, y'all. whistling.gif

What?

Do they have plus plus?

Your bill will come with 17% on top on the menu prices.

And this is the main reason I have still not been.

The whole principle of ++ completely pisses me off.

It really is the cheapest of cheap scams, and puts the offending establishment in a very bad light as far as I'm concerned.

All prices should be advertised net and there is no possible excuse for not doing so, as the extra charges are obligatory and not optional.

• Like 2

And this is the main reason I have still not been.

The whole principle of ++ completely pisses me off.

It really is the cheapest of cheap scams, and puts the offending establishment in a very bad light as far as I'm concerned.

All prices should be advertised net and there is no possible excuse for not doing so, as the extra charges are obligatory and not optional.

Couldn't agree more. I have brought this up to the owner here in this thread but it has gone without a reply.

I also asked the service staff about this and they told me they only get 1/2 of the compulsory service charge and the "boss" keeps the other 1/2. I am no longer a patron of this establishment.

• Like 2

To me a fast food joint, which Sunrise Taco is, should not be charging tax and service. Aside for the plus plus, the food is not very good. Sorry to say. We live in the area so we were hoping for better.

Not everything on the menu is very good. There are some things on the menu which can be good. You have to experiment with the menu and order intelligently (I mean you may want to ask them to "customize" some dishes after you experience them the first time for better results). I think most people can find some Mexican type foods they can enjoy there. I realize it may be an expensive proposition to find them as they won't be the same dishes for everyone.

Also it can't be denied that the comped chips will probably be enjoyed by most people and the salsas are at least acceptable, if not authentic, which they are not.

As far as the plus plus, nobody likes it but it is what it is. I won't boycott the place because of it but I definitely eat there less than I would otherwise. I think for expats and for their expat market share, the plus plus is a minus minus (pardon my math).

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

At least they get half.w00t.gif

Of course they would tell you that. I would.

Ask the boss.

Ok.. whatever mate.. the boss is free to come here and answer for himself.. It has been posed to him numerous times but he chooses not to answer.

Either way, I don't leave a tip on top of a compulsory service charge. That doesn't matter if the boss keeps 100% or shares it with his service staff. In my opinion, it's the staff that will suffer from working in a place that charges a compulsory service charge and doesn't give it all to the staff. The staff suffering will affect the customers and that will effect the total income revenue.

• Like 2

At least they get half.w00t.gif

Of course they would tell you that. I would.

Ask the boss.

To respond to this:

- I didn't ask the staff OR the boss there about this detail

- I can understand the potential motivations of BOTH the staff AND the boss to fudge the truth on such issues; I wouldn't naturally be biased to assume the boss is any more ethical than the staff

- Jayman who did ask, asked BEFORE the Thai supreme court ruled on this issue, I think. The Thai supreme court ruled the management can only keep a maximum of 22 percent of tip money and must distribute the majority to the staff. Does that mean all business are actually complying with the supreme court ruling? It's fair to say: no way!

-- Who defines staff? Whether cooks get a tip share, etc., in addition to waiters it seems to me would be an internal policy decision. What I'm driving at here is that even if a place is complying with the keeping max 22 percent, doesn't mean wait staff gets ALL of the remainder.

- The only way one would really know the truth about actual sharing is if an independent auditor reviewed the books of a restaurant

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Sunrise is a franchise. Don't they all have the same menu, same plus plus policy, same listed prices? So isn't the beef here with the bigger company rather than this one location?

I'm not going to place blame on any one entity. I will express my dis-concern by no longer frequenting this establishment. I feel that this issue has been made clear here on TVF and since we know that the owner is monitoring then he should have received the message.

• Like 1

Sunrise is a franchise. Don't they all have the same menu, same plus plus policy, same listed prices? So isn't the beef here with the bigger company rather than this one location?

I'm not going to place blame on any one entity. I will express my dis-concern by no longer frequenting this establishment. I feel that this issue has been made clear here on TVF and since we know that the owner is monitoring then he should have received the message.

Agreed.

When I dine out, I like to give the service staff a gratuity.

Makes them happy and the service just might be better next time.

The service charge confuses things a bit.

I worked as a waiter for 20 years and it was unthinkable that management shared in the tips. If that would've happened, there would have been a riot. The fact that the gov't. allows this to happen shows how far they still have to go to achieve a stable working environment. If these people choose to work under these conditions, that's their decision. The tips must be outstanding to make an American swallow that kind of behavior. I guess to most Thais, this is pretty good money or they wouldn't be there. I never expected a further tip if one was already included in the bill. It was a welcome bonus if it did occur, but with 10% being added on in Thailand, I feel that is more than enough for the level of service being given.

As a side note, I've noticed that BKK people are a lot more liberal with their money than their Pattaya counterparts, who usually tend to the

tight side. Sunrise is a BKK corporation. Take it or leave it.

Quite possibly. But the representative of the company in Pattaya is, presumably, the guy running the Jomtien branch and so he should be in a position to forward comments and criticisms to those concerned at head office. Or deal with them himself if indeed it is left up to him to decide what happens in his branch.

• Like 1