Mother And 5 Year Old Daughter Electrocuted At Their Family Home In Sattahip

Rimmer

Mother and her 5 year old daughter electrocuted at their family home in Sattahip

SATTAHIP:--A 29 year old mother and her 5 year old daughter were electrocuted in a tragic accident at their family home in Sattahip District.

Police and Rescue Services were called to the house, located off the main Sukhumvit Road late on Wednesday Night and inspected the bodies of Khun Chanitar aged 29 and her daughter aged 5. Both had burn marks on their hands and distraught family members were able to reveal the chain-of-events which led to the death of the pair.

Khun Chanitar was placed wet clothes on a washing line made from a length of wire which was attached on one side to their TV Aerial. Khun Chanitar was the first to be electrocuted when she came into contact with the wire. Her daughter saw what was happening and ran over to her and attempted to pull her away and was herself electrocuted as a result. Police confirmed there was no evidence of foul play

Full story:http://www.pattayaon...-home-sattahip/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-04-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Safety is not regarded at all in Thailand. I rent a house now and this morning i touched my laptop and got a shock. The I checked around the house and discovered that it`s only the electric shower that`s earthed. When I put on my slippers and touched my laptop again I didn`t feel anything. Is this normal i Thailand, is it dangerous?passifier.gif

is it dangerous?passifier.gif

Err I'm not an expert but I think it is dangerous. Most appliances in developed countries will have 3 wires: live, neutral and a grounding cable that should be connected to an earth grid. Friends have struggled to get the neccessary 3 core cables in Thailand when trying to build a house to international standards.

You can get minor shocks from electrical discharges if you build up a lot of static charge from rubbing against certain materials, air is dry etc..

How exactly does one get electrocuted via wire which was connected to a TV aerial ? generally TV aerials are not powered. Is this a case of more p*ss poor sloppy journalism by Pattaya One or is there more to this story ?

Safety is not regarded at all in Thailand. I rent a house now and this morning i touched my laptop and got a shock. The I checked around the house and discovered that it`s only the electric shower that`s earthed. When I put on my slippers and touched my laptop again I didn`t feel anything. Is this normal i Thailand, is it dangerous?passifier.gif

From my HP documentation... "Under certain circumstances, the use of a third-party 2-prong or otherwise ungrounded AC adapter

with a 2008 HP Business Notebook PC product listed above can cause a user to feel a slight tingling sensation when touching the aluminum alloy surfaces. This is not typically a safety concern, and in most cases, it is not harmful to the user or to the product."

I wondered the same thing when I noticed my laptop had a 'tingling sensation' if I touched the metal parts. I read online from the manufacturer website that it is expected (in countries that do not have a ground) and not dangerous. I still don't like the feeling though.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc01524741%2Fc01524741.pdf&ei=aLN9T_eyHZKA9QSe0MmiDQ&usg=AFQjCNE-UVbfTlIANhJKzBTZVmoTwbTWZA

Very sad for this young family sad.png. RIP

Edited by mowgus

How exactly does one get electrocuted via wire which was connected to a TV aerial ? generally TV aerials are not powered. Is this a case of more p*ss poor sloppy journalism by Pattaya One or is there more to this story ?

i was just thinking the EXACT same thing.....well almost. who attaches a clothes line to a tv aerial?

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

i was just thinking the EXACT same thing.....well almost. who attaches a clothes line to a tv aerial?

Earthing or grounding connections, as I understand them, are not designed to route electric currents to a safe place during normal operation. However they are designed to be fail-safe if a fault occurs with an electrical applicance such as a TV, fridge, laptop etc.. Therefore the equipment (and anything connected to it - as in this case) will not become live and dangerous.

As to the post by kawaiimomo, I don't think anyone is attempting to lessen the tragedy of this horrible event and the impact on loved ones, Just trying to answer a question about why applicances in some countries are earthed (supplied with 3 cables) and those in Thailand are typically not. I for one hate smart alec replies from posters to events such as this.

Peace,

Simon

Really, really sad.

Single phase circuits with no earth / earth leakage protection (residual current circuit breaker). It is the way in Thailand, unfortunately.

One has to assume that the tv ariel has somehow come into contact with a 220v supply, then the poor lady made the connection to earth when she touched the now live clothes line (cable) attached to it, whilst placing wet clothes onto it.

The husband must be devastated.....so sorry, really sad.

• Like 1

Not sure how the aerial was live, but it has happened to me.

That would probably have been a static shock Semper, you became the point of discharge of energy build up in the ariel.

It was the mains supply, or a generator, that killed the Mum and Child..........so unavoidable and so tragic.

Very sad case. Many years ago I was advised - when getting a shock from any appliance here - to simply reverse the two pin plug. One pin is normally earthed but it is never clear which one. That worked for me and I pass it on for what it is worth.

Very sad case. Many years ago I was advised - when getting a shock from any appliance here - to simply reverse the two pin plug. One pin is normally earthed but it is never clear which one. That worked for me and I pass it on for what it is worth.

A two pin plug does not have an earth option.

One is current supply the other is neutral, the neutral is the return back to the source (sub station, where it becomes neutral-earth).

However, reversing the polarity on single phase circuits, Peter, is not a good idea.

Very VERY sad indeed.

Strangely enough many of the later model houses are wired internally correctly (also many are not) where the outlets are wired in series and DO have the ground (earth) connected however from the "Breaker" there is NO earth. Many times as I have also done when renting a house you only need to drive a copper pin into the earth and then tie that into the breaker. If your house is wired correctly with "three-prong-outlets) and you use the same 3-prong plugs you should be ok.

Of course this is NOT true with many places however it is good warning to check when you move into a place. If it is wired correctly with the 3-prong-outlets then the cost to "ground it" including copper is around 300 baht.

RIP to the victoms and Condolences to their loved ones.

• Like 1

Yet again, grounding is a non-trivial issue.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN GIVING POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ADVICE.

Grounded 3-pin socket outlets have been required in Thailand since the 90s.

Most appliances with exposed conductive parts must be bonded to ground. If, not, under fault conditions, the metallic parts could be at a potentially lethal voltage. Kitchen/laundry appliances nearly always fall into this catagory. Brown goods including MOST a/v equipment tend to be double insulated and require no ground.

Care must be taken with single phase equipment as these often have single pole switches. Plugging a table lamp in the wrong way round can leave the outer part of the bulb still at 220V even when the lamp is off (because the switch just disconnected the neutral.

Finally, relying upon a nail or other Heath Robinson earthing system is lethal. Don't even think about it, consult an appropriately qualified person.

I will answer specific queries if contacted directly.

Finally, we do not know the exact nature of the fault in this case. However, under fault conditions, it is entirely possible for the TV antenna signal conductor or the screen to be at 220V.

• Like 1

I've bought stuff that has an earth but the 3 pin plug has no earth pin. I have asked in shops for the third pin to fit this type of plug and just get a smile. Been cutting the things off and fitting my own 3 pin plug. cowboy.gif

I've bought stuff that has an earth but the 3 pin plug has no earth pin. I have asked in shops for the third pin to fit this type of plug and just get a smile. Been cutting the things off and fitting my own 3 pin plug. cowboy.gif

Correct!

Fitting "Schuko" plugs to appliances is a particularly evil example of Thai cynicism. Thai Industrial Standard requires appliance with exposed conductive parts to be supplied via a 3-core cable with 3-pin plug. However, it does not say that the plug shall make contact with the ground connection in the socket....

Very VERY sad indeed.

Strangely enough many of the later model houses are wired internally correctly (also many are not) where the outlets are wired in series and DO have the ground (earth) connected however from the "Breaker" there is NO earth. Many times as I have also done when renting a house you only need to drive a copper pin into the earth and then tie that into the breaker. If your house is wired correctly with "three-prong-outlets) and you use the same 3-prong plugs you should be ok.

Of course this is NOT true with many places however it is good warning to check when you move into a place. If it is wired correctly with the 3-prong-outlets then the cost to "ground it" including copper is around 300 baht.

RIP to the victoms and Condolences to their loved ones.

Things are slowly changing, but too late for the little girl and her mum.

The earth rod needs to be tested to establish that it has "a good" earthing.

My experience of TV's is they were built on aluminum chassis, often the Ariel input socket was mounted to the chassis so the outer part/connection was connected to the screen braiding if the aerial feeder cable. given the amount of dust and high voltage in the back of the TV it is very easy for the voltage (currant) to leak/track to the chassis.

I would have thought they would have some form of isolation/buffering in the circuit but the they probably were made in China where short cuts in manufacturing of common place.

One is current supply the other is neutral, the neutral is the return back to the source (sub station, where it becomes neutral-earth).

However, reversing the polarity on single phase circuits, Peter, is not a good idea.

Look at the plugs, very few are polarized so you can only put them in only one way.

Go back to the newspaper story link and read the update on the story...it looks like there may be more to this story...like someone connecting the laundry line and aerial to a live power source. It may have been a case of foul play.

They were following that line in Thairath too, that the neighbour may have been involved.

http://www.thairath....t/region/251630