Suvarnabhumi Airport Urges Travelers To Check In 3-4 Hours Before Departure

webfact

Air passengers told to check in 3-4 hours before departure

BANGKOK, 6 April 2012 (NNT) – Suvarnabhumi International Airport has urged travelers to check in 3-4 hours before departure time to give some time in case of long queue.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdipol expects around 154,000 passengers each day at the airport during Songkran Holiday or April 9-18.

According to him, the number of both international and domestic travelers is expected to increase by 10% from that of the Songkran period last year. Therefore, he advises all passengers to allow some extra time for check-in and going through the immigration process.

Mr Somchai added that the airport has also deployed more officials at the immigration check points both for departure and arrival passengers. The automatic passport checking system will also be available for Thai passport holders from April 11 onwards.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-04-06 footer_n.gif

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, the travellers must suffer for their mismanagement and incompetence.

Not sure I can agree with you in this case. I have previously started threads about queues and long waiting times, and have contributed to many more, so I know the scenario. However, the man is giving fair warning about the holiday period expected delays, so what can you blame him for?

At last we have a Hub that is justifiable'

Went through yesterday for a 12.30 (luchtime) departure, they now have got people directing you from the line to the next available desk I was through there in less the 2 minutes, I actually got through quicker than my wife using her Thai passport, I was so impressed I had to comment to a senior officer sitting behind the desks, she thanked me for telling her.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I flew out of Swampy but the last time the check in opened two hours before departure. Has that been revised?

Yes to your question.

AFAIK check in opens at least 3 Hrs before departure.

Yermaneejap.gif

It's been a while since I flew out of Swampy but the last time the check in opened two hours before departure. Has that been revised?

Yes to your question.

AFAIK check in opens at least 3 Hrs before departure.

Yermaneejap.gif

Many thanks jap.gif

The irony here is that his warning that travellers should expect long delays will probably put off the extra ten per cent from travelling anyway.

No it won't. Immigration lines may make for unhappy visitors, but it has a negligible impact upon the decision to visit. There are studies as to what has an impact. A case in point are US airport entry points. The visitors will accept long lines at LAX, but will not expect the rude and brusque treatment of US officials. Thailand's immigration officials may have lemon sucking faces, but are no different than those in the west. There are some exceptions such as the USA.

In my case, I was willing to tolerate the LAX lines, but as soon as the customs/immigration folks started getting nasty I said screw that and have avoided LAX as a gateway for years, and also try to avoid the US altogether unless compelled by business to go there.

Where you would have a valid point is in respect to people who are not coming to Thailand , but are using Bangkok as a transit point. These PAX would look for alternatives if the immigration delays had an impact on them. However, they don't. The transit immigration lines are relatively fast. As well, many transit PAX use BKK for cost reasons. If the price is right, they will still use BKK.

this is thailand....if you don't like imcompetence, mismanagement, arrogance, racism, xenophobia, aggression, dishonesty, dangerous traffic, violence to foreigners, scams, cheating and lies....DON"T COME!

Well said...drunk.gif

this is thailand....if you don't like imcompetence, mismanagement, arrogance, racism, xenophobia, aggression, dishonesty, dangerous traffic, violence to foreigners, scams, cheating and lies....DON"T COME!

Well said...drunk.gif

America, UK and most other countries: INCOMPETENCE, MISMANAGEMENT, ARROGANCE, RACISM, XENOPHOBIA, AGGRESSION, DISHONESTY, DANGEROUS TRAFFIC, VIOLENCE TO FOREIGNERS, SCAMS, CHEATING and LIES..... Go! Enjoy! and Don't Come Back! giggle.gif

-mel. WPFflags.gif

• Like 1

Let's suppose for one minute that enough of us refuse to check-in more than 2 hours prior to departure, do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs? Granted some are "nervous travelers" so they'd probably check-in like sheep even 5 hours prior to the flight if "instructed" to do so. But if you are not one of these, then I suggest 2 hours is more than enough...if not, then the onus is on the airlines/airport authorities to find out where the bottlenecks are and resolve them. Most of the people i know and myself usually check-in around the 2 hour mark...never heard of anyone missing the flight as a result of this. I send my guests off to airport so they are there 2 hours before departure and NOT ONE has missed their flight yet! And neither have I. So I respectfully reply to Mr Somchai at the airport to start rostering on more staff, manage the passenger flow better and perhaps ensure more counters are open...instead of inconveniencing the PAYING CUSTOMERS !!!!jap.gif

• Like 2

Normally the check-in counters open 3 hours before departure

Yes, normally they do but not 4 hours before departure, so it would make no sense whatsoever to arrive 4 hours before departure

Exactly!!! They are inconveniencing paying passengers (probably because we are all so obedient) so that they can carry on keeping immigration counters closed, have fewer staff on duty and generally not bother to better plan for peaks...other than to ask us to turn up early even when the check-in counters are NOT YET OPENED! Well, I refuse to turn up VERY early just for the airport's convenience!.

• Like 1

Not sure I can agree with you in this case. I have previously started threads about queues and long waiting times, and have contributed to many more, so I know the scenario. However, the man is giving fair warning about the holiday period expected delays, so what can you blame him for?

Of course long lines at airports during holidays is only a Thai problem.

However, it seems that some foreigners in Thailand need to be warned to understand this and not only don't appreciate the warning but act as if this is unique to Thailand.

Let's suppose for one minute that enough of us refuse to check-in more than 2 hours prior to departure, do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs?

Your getting to the airport late is not reason for a refund nor are lines at the airport or traffic getting to the airport reasons for a refund. So, why would an airlines wait, at their expense and the expense of others, for you when they won't lose a dime for your purposeful lateness? Obviously you haven't flown in the US during holidays like Thanksgiving ... and I am not even talking international flights.

• Like 2

Let's suppose for one minute that enough of us refuse to check-in more than 2 hours prior to departure, do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs?

Your getting to the airport late is not reason for a refund nor are lines at the airport or traffic getting to the airport reasons for a refund. So, why would an airlines wait, at their expense and the expense of others, for you when they won't lose a dime for your purposeful lateness? Obviously you haven't flown in the US during holidays like Thanksgiving ... and I am not even talking international flights.

Er, I am not talking about getting late to airport due to traffic....that is my fault.

I am talking about this: I am in line and checked in 2 hours before flight. Then I am delayed in getting to departure gate due to madness at immigration. See the difference?

As for "purposeful lateness", I view it as "reasonable check-in time". As I said, if you are not willing to lose a flight then by all means go to airport 4 or 5 hours before flight departs. But I never have and am always boarded on the flight. Maybe one day I will be booted off whilst I am queuing at immigration, but the day has not come yet.

Er, I am not talking about getting late to airport due to traffic....that is my fault.

I am talking about this: I am in line and checked in 2 hours before flight. Then I am delayed in getting to departure gate due to madness at immigration. See the difference?

As for "purposeful lateness", I view it as "reasonable check-in time". As I said, if you are not willing to lose a flight then by all means go to airport 4 or 5 hours before flight departs. But I never have and am always boarded on the flight. Maybe one day I will be booted off whilst I am queuing at immigration, but the day has not come yet.

It is not a reasonable time when it is a holiday and you have been warned, as well as common sense, tells us to expect delays during this time. If you get to the airport 2-hours early, as is recommended for international travel just about anywhere, then you should have no problem making your flight ... just like anywhere else.

Lines are a part of life and they get worse under certain times be it a line at a popular eatery or transportation during rush hour or a taxis in the rain. BKK is one of the busiest airports for international travelers and Thailand is a top destination for international tourists. They have significantly improved passport control times but there will always be lines and at times there will be long wait times ... this is just a fact of life here and just about any busy airport. For all the complaining, I've never come close to missing a flight in years and get to the airport an hour to an hour and 15-minutes early and almost always grab a bite to eat and have a smoke before. The line always look long and worrisome but it always moves fast.

Agree, just stay in your own country or someplace where things work your way! Complaining about this will do no good.

• Like 1

do you honestly believe the plane will take off without so many still stuck at immigration/customs?

Yes, I do. And they'll probably smile at you while they sell you a full fare ticket to replace the one in your hand that's no longer valid. (More likely, they'll get you onto the next flight, with or without a $$$ penalty, but that next flight may be the next day...) They don't care if the seats are full, just that they're paid for. About the only time I've seen them hold an airplane for late passengers is when they're late from a connecting flight and the airline is on the hook financially.

If you don't like it, go onto another airline until they pull some similar stunt- or worse. Fly economy often enough and you'll run out of airlines that haven't disappointed you.

Or you can do what they suggest and have few, if any problems. Really, show up 2 hours early and 98% of the time, you'll be fine. Seems like this guys warning all that the next few days may be the other 2%.

Edited by impulse

blaming him for not changing the system at all,they don't care the passengers at all,the staff is untrained,they check a passport 20 times only because they are afraid to make a mistake or they not really sure what to do,in the age of biometric passports,a check should not take a longer than 15 seconds,stamp the passport and of we go,not so in thailand,3-5 minutes for every passenger,incompetence and mismanagement + mix of stupidity and that famous losing face culture[afraid to make a mistake]these are the right terms,maybe would be also great to over think their crazy visa rules,non o non b non ed,tourist reenter tourist 30+30,re entry permit,thats all crazy,or what about the s..t with arrival and departure cards,absolute nonsense,whoever check if u really stay in this or that hotel and bla bla,why hv to fill out where u got ur visa from and how long its valid,they can see that in the passport,they don't want to change anything,and they give a shit u stand there 2 or 3 hours,and do not tell me if i don't like it 'dont come here'thats not a solution,just another way to run away from the problem. just a simple way to ease the problem for songkran,,passengers from ASEAN member states could use the Thai counter,but of course they don't want that,because they want to show u how small u r,and how important and superior Thai citizen are