Sam'S Mexican & American Grill

Gone

Ok so I went there yesterday while waiting for visa etc. and as I'm a slim guy I just ordered the Beef Burrito and 1 small Leo. The bill was 180 baht.

The Burrito I would say compared taste wise to anything back home like Taco Bell etc. however MUCH bigger. It was stuffed with Beef and just a small amount of the lettuce etc. where as other places might put a lot of lettus and little beef. I must say I was very happy. The dipping sauce they said was hot (because I'm farang) but in real it was like the Taco Bell hot sauce. Pretty mild. He did offer me a choice of 3 other sauces but I was ok.

I'm a smoker so I sat outside and around 3:00pm there was no sun as the little strip mall it is in kind of sits between a condo and its self so it was nice. Fan overhead of course.

It is situated (for those who don't know) let's say; just across from Sunrise Tequila restaurant (or whatever it's called) a little to the left there is a small ally way. If you walk down there you will come to a strip mall on your left at the end (100 meters) and you will see it on the corner.

I was quite happy taste and size wise and so I would expect the rest of the menu would be ok too.

Here are a few pics of the menu and my Burrito.

post-147691-0-68098400-1333694225_thumb.

post-147691-0-06129100-1333694240_thumb.

post-147691-0-93069300-1333694253_thumb.

post-147691-0-60366200-1333694270_thumb.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

take care Gone , if you intend to make comparisons with JT's beloved Mexican hangout then you better put a tin hat on or soon you will be GONE!

By all means, make comparisons. This is discussion forum. That's what we do!

Here are some to start:

At Sunrise, a wide variety of meat options including carnitas and beef barbacoa

At Sunrise, the only salsa bar in town, and it's rather huge

At Sunrise, a robust build your own burrito menu where you can truly design your burrito just as you like, as in a San Francisco burrito joint but without the standing and pointing

At Sunrise FREE with your burrito, you can choose a small side salad with yucky white dressing (YUCK!!!) or a serving of probably the best tortilla chips in Thailand (hard choice, ha ha)

At Sunrise, you will spend more and at the restaurant they do have a plus plus, but sometimes it really is a case of you get what you pay for ...

BTW, I think many people who diss Sunrise after one or two visits haven't figured out how to intelligently order there because it really is a place where you CAN get what you want, if you bother to spend the energy to ask for it.

Edited by Rimmer

Just the facts, ma'am. coffee1.gif

your version of them.......

Right, and if you have opinions about Mexican restaurants, why not post them, instead of going troll?

as you well know JT, i gave Gil my opinion directly mano et mano

i did not see fit to post it for all and sundry on this forum to pontificate over

further, i have more going on in my life than to exercise a need to ramble on incessantly about the pro's and cons of a Mexican restaurant on a public forum.....

Right, and if you have opinions about Mexican restaurants, why not post them, instead of going troll?

i did not see fit to post it for all and sundry on this forum to pontificate over

further, i have more going on in my life than to exercise a need to ramble on incessantly about the pro's and cons of a Mexican restaurant on a public forum.....

Hilarious! But you have plenty of time for inflammatory personal attacks. This is a forum. You come on here and diss people who post opinions on forums and who wish to communicate on forums? It seems like an odd format to do that. What's next, a television ad campaign to watch less television? Nobody is dissing talking to owners directly either. Sometimes I do that, sometimes I don't. There is value in communication -- PERIOD.

BTW, I don't think there is anything wrong per se with the style of Sam's burrito as pictured above (and yes I have eaten there myself). Burritos come in different styles. We are lucky now that there are now more CHOICES in styles of burritos in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Tut tut timekeeper. You CLEARLY belong with us from the LOWER orders who haven't figured out how to INTELLIGENTLY order food in a restaurant!rolleyes.gif

But it's true. There aren't too many restaurants in the world where you can just close your eyes and point at some random menu items, not comment on your preferences (especially on menus where there are massive options for customization, both explicit and implied), and expect to get a very satisfying meal. Sorry if some people don't get that. People who appreciate restaurants I am sure mostly DO get that.

Edited by Jingthing

Hilarious! But you have plenty of time for inflammatory personal attacks. This is a forum. You come on here and diss people who post opinions on forums and who wish to communicate on forums? It seems like an odd format to do that. What's next, a television ad campaign to watch less television? Nobody is dissing talking to owners directly either. Sometimes I do that, sometimes I don't. There is value in communication -- PERIOD.

BTW, I don't think there is anything wrong per se with the style of Sam's burrito as pictured above (and yes I have eaten there myself). Burritos come in different styles. We are lucky now that there are now more CHOICES in styles of burritos in Pattaya.

i need to add a comment to my own post:

i don't have the time or inclination to respond to the latest series of PM,s i have just received from JT either

once he has made his point he will very likely delete them and close the thread before i get a chance to respond anyway

just as has has done before in previous PM exchanges

you are wasting your time this time, i can't be arsed with you.........

I do edit my posts all the time with no apologies for a thousand different reasons, and no malicious intent. Accusing people of malicious intent in editing without grounds is despicable. I never met a prolific writer and yes posting a lot is a form of WRITING who does not edit profusely as well.

It is also true that on some occasions, I post something as a first draft that I read and then realize it is too strong in tone, and that I must tone it down. So I do. That is not malicious, that is good sense and again no apologies! Now if someone catches that before the edit and includes it with a reply, that's unfortunate, but it can happen. Remember, the edit function times out, but you have every right to edit all you want up until the time you can't, again, with NO APOLOGIES or excuses needed.

The PMs I sent to timekeeper were to suggest he keep his clear personal garbage/baggage about me to PMs. Instead of responding to that, he chose to diss me further about PMs on the public board. Sorry, that is massively trollish behavior. Seriously, why should the greater board be exposed to that?

I'm not a mod. I can't close a thread. Why all the sniping here? If people have a problem with me that is personal and not on topic, please just PM me, OK?

Again, this topic is MEXICAN FOOD related. Clearly, it is quite obvious that it shouldn't be about personal stuff about posters, yes? So again, personal problem with me, PM me please!

Edited by Jingthing

I ate at Sams right after Gone left. It was my first time there and I only went there because a friend of mine said it was good. We ate outside too. I had some combination special: enchilada, taco, rice, and round taco shell with beans and lettuce on it. I had a beef enchilada. It was surprisingly good with tender beef (not ground beef) inside. The beef taco, on the other hand, had ground beef in it, which is OK, but the shell was hard and seemed a bit dated :) The "bean thing" was just OK. The rice was nothing to write about. I prefer Mikes. I also want to comment on Sunrise Tacos given Jingtings comments......I think the menu is complicated for customers and staff. Each time I have ordered Mexican food at ST, what comes to the table is not what I ordered. The menu needs to be simplified (and translated in to both English and Russian).

I for one am happy for the complexity of Sunrise's menu, especially the customizing options, as it lets you tailor your order to your tastes. I have had little trouble doing that and getting exactly what I want. A few times there were surprises which I was able to ask for and get corrections on the spot, with no pushback at all. That's the sign of a good restaurant with good service. That said, I can imagine how things could wrong with it. I would suggest, if something went wrong, assuming you otherwise like the food, think about what went wrong and how you can order differently in future to fix it. Also keep in mind if you want to order generic items as detailed on the menu, you can do that too. So you can choose your level of complexity. What more could you ask for except free food, ha ha? Also Sunrise is a chain, a proven concept, with multiple locations, with basically the SAME menu. It is clearly a successful chain so there must be something not so bad about their menu design (although of course not perfect).

Edited by Jingthing

Leave Jingthing alone. He writes very worthwhile restaurant reviews and is one of the few members who does.

As you have stated many times before on these forums, you are a good side kick! Whoever got JT back on the Sunrise bandwagon should be banned or shot!giggle.gif

Edited by gerry53
  • Like 2

i am lost, is this a review on Sam's or Sunrise?

Sams. But the issue of comparing it to Sunrise, which does happen to be very nearby to Sams so its somewhat inevitable, was introduced.

but should we be comparing them both? , its like starting a topic on Mac Donalds and comparing it with Burger King...

i have tried sunrise in Bangkok , and was not all impressed, and expensive !, from what i see on the Sam's review, it seems a nice cheap place to get a simple burrito, which sometime that is all people want

• Like 1

As soon as I saw this review I knew it would be taken over by JT. I did not even have to very long, 9 post already by him. I am not trying to make a personal attack but please give us a break. From the past Mexican food treads we all clearly know what he thinks about sams and sunrise. I am wondering if mexican food topics should be allowed as we know what always happens. Maybe it should be a "no go" topic.

• Like 2

So the Sam's burrito in the pic. Did that order include rice and beans in the burrito, or not? Burritos without rice or beans and just meat are more Northern Mexican roots burrito than standard California style burritos (which is the dominant U.S. burrito style). Keep in mind burritos are huge in the USA and a very minor food type in Mexico. Just asking, not judging ...

Edited by Jingthing

Sams. But the issue of comparing it to Sunrise, which does happen to be very nearby to Sams so its somewhat inevitable, was introduced.

but should we be comparing them both? , its like starting a topic on Mac Donalds and comparing it with Burger King...

i have tried sunrise in Bangkok , and was not all impressed, and expensive !, from what i see on the Sam's review, it seems a nice cheap place to get a simple burrito, which sometime that is all people want

Excuse me but people compare McD's and Burger King ALL THE TIME.

http://mcdonaldsvsburgerking.net/

Google McDonalds vs. Burger King ... 36 million hits.

Ooops.

Edited by Jingthing

Excuse me but people compare McD's and Burger King ALL THE TIME.

http://mcdonaldsvsburgerking.net/

Google McDonalds vs. Burger King ... 36 million hits.

Ooops.

will we have www.SamsVsSunrise.com soon ;)

• Like 1

Actually, not. One is a one man owner small shop with a limited menu and the other is a major operation and part of a growing chain with a rather ambitious menu. They both serve Mexican food in the same neighborhood ... that's all.

Actually, not. One is a one man owner small shop with a limited menu and the other is a major operation and part of a growing chain with a rather ambitious menu. They both serve Mexican food in the same neighborhood ... that's all.

which one is which?

which one is which?

Let me check ...

Taco Bell?coffee1.gif