Bars Tonight Open Or Closed?

Peterocket

Can anyone clarify if bars in Phuket Town/Patong will be open tonight. I understand restaurants can serve alcohol but what about places like timber hut? Will they be open?

Hard to get any real information on this...even bar owners I have spoken to don't seem to know whether they are allowed to sell or not from 6pm tonight...

This is the information I have read...but is it being done?

There will be local elections in many provinces in Thailand on the 7th April 2012 – including tourist areas such as Phuket and Chiang Mai. This means that there will be an alcohol ban over the weekend. In some places this will start from 6pm on Friday the 6th. Bars are also likely to be closed from the 8th until the 10th of April because of the Royal cremation on the 9th. This means that there will be no alcohol sold for a full 4 days in most places.

"even bar owners I have spoken to don't seem to know whether they are allowed to sell or not from 6pm tonight..."

Officially they're not allowed to open tonight and tomorrow till 24.00 hours. But are they being allowed? Like you, no idea. Also restaurants are officially not allowed to sell alcohol after 18.00 hours today BTW.

Also for the next 3 days (princess funeral) we'll have to wait and see.

Ok Bars no alcohol 6th

Can sell 7th 8 th

No Alcohol 9th

Ok Bars no alcohol 6th

Can sell 7th 8 th

No Alcohol 9th

This local paper says that there is no alcohol on the 7th as well but doesn't mention the 9th.

It's all quite vague...

PHUKET: The sale and purchase of alcohol will be banned across Phuket from 6pm tonight to midnight Saturday due to the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization (OrBorJor) presidential election on Saturday.

From the Phuket News

Due to elections for the new president of the Phuket Provincial Organisation (OrBorJor) tomorrow (April 7), alcohol sales in Phuket will be banned from 6pm tonight (April 6) until midnight at the end of tomorrow.

Luckily I read this at 4pm.

From the Phuket News

Due to elections for the new president of the Phuket Provincial Organisation (OrBorJor) tomorrow (April 7), alcohol sales in Phuket will be banned from 6pm tonight (April 6) until midnight at the end of tomorrow.

Luckily I read this at 4pm.

Yes, that is the official situation, followed by 3 days of closed entertainment venues because of a princess' funeral.

But what is going to happen?

Most of the bars in Rawai didn't even bother opening at all on Friday(mainly because even the people who are supposed to know could not give you a straight answer) and they are all closed tonight.Can not get a straight answer about 8 and 9 either.What a pathetic place this is.

Just wondering is Thailand a democracy or dictatorship /

Most of the bars in Rawai didn't even bother opening at all on Friday(mainly because even the people who are supposed to know could not give you a straight answer) and they are all closed tonight.Can not get a straight answer about 8 and 9 either.What a pathetic place this is.

What does your last comment have to do with anything?

What do you mean ?what has it got to with anything.

I /we are being dictated to as what we can do..

I have a business which is related to the restaurant and bar trade and it's hard enough to make money without these pointless closures every year.

They call this a world class holiday island.In their dreams.I had to talk to many p-ssed off people last night who had they know about these closing days they would not have even entertained coming here.

I have a business which is related to the restaurant and bar trade and it's hard enough to make money without these pointless closures every year.

They call this a world class holiday island.In their dreams.I had to talk to many p-ssed off people last night who had they know about these closing days they would not have even entertained coming here.

Well, in every country there are rules and regulations, called laws. And those laws tell, dictate you, what you can do and what you can't do. So in your reasoning every country is a dictatorship.

the official stance seems to be no alcohol to be sold between 18.00 last evening and midnight tonight.

However, a walk along Beach Road and into Bangla at 11.00 today showed once large hotel with clients drinking beer at their pavment-side bar and both of the large Irish pubs with signs saying no beer until 18.00 tonight.

As confusing as usual.

As long as bars don't get a notice to close they usually can be open, also at Rock Hard on Bangla it would open but only sell sodas and bar fines ! That's only the case of non-religious closing like elections. The law prevents only sale of booze , restaurants included but not usually prosecuted for it !!!

Edited by LivinginKata
font corrected

Well, in every country there are rules and regulations, called laws. And those laws tell, dictate you, what you can do and what you can't do. So in your reasoning every country is a dictatorship.

I could go into internet censorship, freedom of press,and live thai news channels being taken off air when too many questions asked about the hat yai and southern bombs but if you want to be treated like a child up too you.

And why doesn't TAT tell tourist about these closures in their road shows before they spend thousand on their holiday to then be told sorry you cannot go out and enjoy yourself tonight because of some Dickensian law.

With the election polls now closed, what is the reasoning for keeping the bars closed until midnight?

(I know reasoning is a bit of a strong word.)

I would presume the reasoning is to prevent unruly behaviour because of the elections?

With the election polls now closed, what is the reasoning for keeping the bars closed until midnight?

I would presume the reasoning is to prevent unruly behaviour because of the elections?

I think you missed the bit where he said "With election polls now CLOSED"

I think you missed the bit where he said "With election polls now CLOSED"

I think he means the results of said elections

Wait a minute, did I just accidentally bring up the moaning thread?

Last night i observed that the bars(alchohol only places),were closed,virtually all restaraunts i passed were open and selling beer,there were also people just drinking and not eating in several places.

The latest i have heard with regards to today is that bars can open and sell beer,but no music.

PST.

I was told by a Thai person a while ago that it's to prevent vote-buying in the form of post-election free flow alcohol parties hosted by the candidates' representatives.

But why do they have to stick to these rules in tourist places?

Also for tonight I heard the same as PST, though there may be a full closure tomorrow, the day of the funeral.

And why doesn't TAT tell tourist about these closures in their road shows before they spend thousand on their holiday to then be told sorry you cannot go out and enjoy yourself tonight because of some Dickensian law.

You might think that they're just being deceptive to get more money into the country, but the real answer is because most decent Thais would consider anyone who needs to consume alcohol in order to have a happy holiday unworthy of consideration.

most decent Thais would consider anyone who needs to consume alcohol in order to have a happy holiday unworthy of consideration.

Thank you for speaking on behalf of an entire nation.

You must either have one huge Facebook account where you gauge such things or be a brilliant psychic....