6 Mo. Sabbatical In Los: Bkk Or Chiang Mai?

sabai jai

I'm a 40 year old architect from the US, planning to take time off to explore my passions of learning Thai language, experiencing local culture, food, studying Theravada meditation, and taking many side trips throughout the region (Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, ...). What are the advantages and disadvantages of picking Bangkok vs. Chiang Mai as a "home base" and renting a long-term apartment? It seems BKK would be a better hub, but may be less relaxing than Chiang Mai? Are there enough opportunities for classes, cultural exchange, volunteer opportunities, etc in CMX to keep me busy vs. BKK? Also will I learn standard central Thai language in CMX, or Kam Muang?

Thanks for your thoughts! This is a great resource!

Neither. I would do the outskirts of Pattaya. Some very good rental prices. Easy access to Bangkok. Air Con buses run all the time. I prefer to be able to walk around a lot. Bangkok is, well a big noisy, hot, congested city. Definitely should spend some time there.

• Like 1

Neither. I would do the outskirts of Pattaya. Some very good rental prices. Easy access to Bangkok. Air Con buses run all the time. I prefer to be able to walk around a lot. Bangkok is, well a big noisy, hot, congested city. Definitely should spend some time there.

He said local culture.wink.png

seconded

Bangkok or Chang Mai you will suffocate with smog in one and smoke in the other, as other posters have suggested - the outskirts of Pattaya has it all, but i guess those that know nothing of Pattaya other than soi 6 or walking street will have no clue about this!

Edited by LennyW

Look away from Pattaya, toward Cha Am/Hua Hin. Less crowded, still withing driving/riding distance to BKK and the airports. Not sure about formal Thai instruction, though, but seems likely you can get some lessons. The whole coastline from there south is nice, easy to travel. Plenty of temples, enough Western amenities to see you through.

I hate Bangkok.

However, Bangkok is the center of education in Thailand. As a professional, you will most likely wish to seek out proper educational facilities such as a University. The quality of universities in BKK servicing foreigners exceeds those in other regions. As well, the options are better too. Some will most likely object, but its like comparing a draftsman and an architect. The draftsman might be better at drawing plans, but who is the one that understands loads, and design requirements best?

Chiang Mai is certainly worth a long stay of a few weeks and I am not putting the place down. I ould never, ever locate anywhere near Pattaya, even if on the outskirts. Pattaya has limited educational facilities and has a very poor reputation amongst non Pattaya residents. As soon as you mention the Pattaya word, the crimson mark attaches to you and respectable Thais will steer clear. And yes I know some will be offended. Unfortunately, this is the position of the Thais I associate with.

PS - I was going to mention Ch Am, Huan Hin as per above, except I was taking commuting into consideration. You cannot go wrong with Cha Am/Hua Hin. Also the foreigners and Thais in that area tend to be a cut above everyone else. (This being said by someone presently sitting in Patong, which probably makes Pattaya look nice.)

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I live in Chiang Mai and it has everything you're looking for. The only thing you may find a problem with is travel to those destinations listed. It may be easier to be in BKK where you can get direct flights. Then again, there are sometimes direct flights from CNX or, if you're flying Air Asia, you'd have to fly thought KL anyway (which would actually be easier from CNX as the airport is far less busy).

There are plenty of long term accommodations and plenty of language schools. What type of Thai it is, I couldn't say because I haven't done one of the schools. However, I would imagine it is no different than the schools in BKK. There are plenty of options (check the forums).

One of the things I love about CNX is that I can hop on my bike and be in a small mountain village in an hour. I don't find there is much culture in BKK. Chiang Mai has very touristy areas but I live in a very Thai neighbourhood. The smoke is pretty much gone (as the rains have started) so CM has my vote.

There are some great places all over Thailand. But as far as major centers, I think, CM and Udon Thani would be your best options to provide what you're looking for.

If you have any specific questions about life here, feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

I'd also choose Chiang Mai for the same reasons which mowgus suggests. You'll learn central Thai in Chiang Mai as it's widely spoken everywhere, but knowing some Kam Muang always brings a smile to the residents of Chiang Mai. Thai language classes are plentiful here, as are classes in anything else you can think of. Cultural exchange can be done by simply living in a Thai area and staying away from the tourist areas. Plenty of opportunities for volunteering for just about anything as well. Free labor is always welcome anywhere in the world... This link may be of help to you: http://www.chiangmai...rent/news.shtml

Chiang Mai is the cultural centre for northern Thailand, and the people of Lanna Thai are quite proud of their northern culture! Bangkok is a sprawling metropolis whereas Chiang Mai is a small town in comparison. If you're interested in cultural and linguistic assimilation, small towns are often better for this purpose than a large city.

Btw, you misspelled weather in Thai (the first word in your sig. file). It's spelled: อากาศ. You also misspelled cold in Thai (the second word in your sig. file). It's spelled: หนาว. Finally you misspelled "khrap" (the last word in you're sig. file). It's spelled: ครับ. Online translators aren't 100% accurate, but I understand what you're trying to say. So you're coming from a cold city?

Learning Thai in Chiang Mai is easy, but one has to be motivated to do so and hang out with Thais who don't speak English or who are not interested in learning English. Learn how to read and write Thai, I learned alot of Thai just by reading signs in shop windows, billboards, etc. If I did it, so can you.

Best wishes wherever you decide to land. jap.gif

Edited by Microwave
  • Like 1

These are all good suggestions above. I took Thai lessons in Chiang Mai many years ago, at the AUA, and it was very good. They only teach beginning levels though, so if you progress very quickly, you'll probably have to hire a private tutor from the recent information I have after being back in touch with them last year. Those who live in Chiang Mai would have a better idea, it was many years ago I was there. I have had friends who have done the immersive course at AUA in Bangkok and they have become the best foreign Thai speakers I have known.

As an architect, I think it's best if you use your contacts to query the universities and firms in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai to see what you can do and where the best learning will be in that field. While Koen Kaen would be a better place to immerse yourself in Thai life (Udon Thani as well) than Bangkok or Chiang Mai--and they have a good AUA school there--I can't imagine the architectural possibilities would be very good. I could be wrong of course, it would be nice to hear from someone on the forum who knows architecture.

Bangkok has the advantages of any great city in that the public transportation options are fantastic and you wouldn't need a car. If you lived down Pattaya way or even Chiang Mai, I don't know how you would get along without one. Bangkok has the most intellectual possibilities, and if you're a city man, you'll get along fine there.

I live in Phuket and love it, though our fair island takes quite a lot of abuse on this forum for some reason. However, for what you're trying to do, I don't think Phuket would be the best place for you. Language schools here are very limited and generally overpriced. Rent is also high here, though the weather is probably the best in Thailand and I can't live away from the ocean, that's just who I am.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here very much.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the detailed replies! It's great to hear first-hand experiences. After reading your responses and watching a lot of YouTube videos, I'm leaning towards CNX, but now I want to research Kon Kaen & Udon Thani as well. I'm sure BKK would meet my city-oriented criteria, but just not sure it will be relaxing. I currently live in San Francisco, so am used to City Life, although a smaller city...

Khorp khun maak thuk kon krub! Thanks everyone!

If you are from San Francisco, one thing to consider as between CNX and Bkk is the weather. I am also from your area and find the heat and humidity in Bkk a killer. CMX, depending on the time of year and the time of day, can be much more walkable, so you can wander around and explore some of the off the beaten track, local Thai areas. I like Bkk, but it is probably the least walkable city I have spent time in.

I also looked at Hua Hin, and I liked it, but a bit small for me - I would compare it to Santa Cruz in your area in terms of size, layout, etc.

I have a Thai friend who is from Kon Kaen, now lives in Bkk, and is trying desperately to get back to live in Kon Kaen. I am sure she would be happy to tell you about her city so PM me if you are interested.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If ou perfer the cut above come to Chiang Mai, the Thai people here are not at all stuck up. When I returned in Nov. everyone in the neighborhood waved and spoke to me welcomeing me back to town, that says a lot about the people here.

• Like 2

Not difficult to get away from the smoke problem in Chiang Mai. The OP said he intends to travel in SE Asia, so plan trips to coincide with the smokey season.

It may be cheaper to do a deal on a hotel room than a serviced apartment though??