Regclean Pro - Computer Errors

UbonOz

While I am sorting out all my computer problems I would like to ask one more question.

I have downloaded RegClean Pro - Free. http://www.regcleanpro.org/

It has supposedly checked/scanned my computer for errors and has come up with:

14 Errors - System Related

82 Errors - Com and ActiveX

19 Errors - User Related

72 Errors - StartUp and Uninstall

It says it will fix 16 errors for free and the remainder will be fixed after you purchase the product for US$9.95.

Are all these errors real or just a sales gimmick to get you to make a purchase? Is my computer going to crash sometime soon?

Any comments?

Thanks again.

CCleaner, yes free from places such as sourceforge.net.

Before you run it for the first time, look down the options (a list of boxes in a menu that pops up on the left of the screen. It maybe two pages). One box is labelled 'wipe all surfaces' or somesuch. Click this box just for your first run of ccleaner: the program it takes a long time (~ 1hr) but does a great job. AA

You don't really need a register cleaner. CCleaner is great in general, though, esp for the price. I use it regularly. If you're gonna use it, get the slim version:

http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html

Auslogics BoostSpeed is the best "fixer" I've found, but it's payware. The internet optimizer is cool.

If you have actual problems, you might try Tweaking.com - Windows Repair: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Tweaking-com-Windows-Repair.shtml

Just a word of warning, cleaning out your registry can do more harm than good if you don't know what you are deleting.

As always make sure, before trying something, that you have a current Backup of your PC.

Edited by MJCM

Yes, I use to use CCleaner...worked great. I now just use the registry cleaner that part of Norton 360. I run it every month or so...it always finds a few things...mostly orphaned links/files due to programs being uninstalled.

Some of those errors identified in the OP's post won't really be errors just some things a person might want to do to possibly speed up the computer. Yeap, they are trying to lure you into buying.

I have been using Eusing Registry Cleaner ,for a few years now,its Free,

works well,no problems, add CCleaner and keep your computers free of

crap that can slow it down.

regards Worgeordie

Yes, the freeware "Cleaner" programs for registry and harddrive do an adequate job. These programs coupled with some Google searching can obviate the need for paid versions.

Just as information though, reading indicates the registry "Cleaners" may not improve computer performance to any noticeable extent. Because, the cleaned data entries are of small size to begin with. This has been my experience, also.

However, the newer freeware registry defragmenting programs do seem to improve performance. Upon running these programs on different computers, I've seen registries that were 10-25 per cent fragmented. And, upon defragmenting, the computers seemed a bit faster.

Cheers

Yes, the freeware "Cleaner" programs for registry and harddrive do an adequate job. These programs coupled with some Google searching can obviate the need for paid versions.

Just as information though, reading indicates the registry "Cleaners" may not improve computer performance to any noticeable extent. Because, the cleaned data entries are of small size to begin with. This has been my experience, also.

However, the newer freeware registry defragmenting programs do seem to improve performance. Upon running these programs on different computers, I've seen registries that were 10-25 per cent fragmented. And, upon defragmenting, the computers seemed a bit faster.

Cheers

That's been my experience also. I consider it more of preventive maintenance.