Which Is Your Favourite Thai Beer?

Paangjang

Which is your favourite Thai beer? Poll  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Chang Draught is drinkable when you can find it...I usually buy a pitcher when upstairs at the changwat Suphan tescos foodhall...but I usually don't pay much attention to the taste as I am too busy staring at the smooth brown thighs of the local school girls...in mirrored shades and panama hat pulled low...sorta like Hannibal Lecter in the last scene of Silence of the Lambs...

back home at the bus station I'll get a boddle of Leo but the usual scenario happens again with teenaged girls in little shorts and the beer largely neglected...

I mostly drink Gibley's vodka, to tell the truth and the chinese guy vendor has a shop assistant who stands closely as she packages up my order and I can look down the front of her t-shirt and she doesn't mind...

threads on thaivisa of this nature should not be encouraged as alcohol is a wicked indulgence...and as we all know those that partake shall be punished...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 2

What are your reasons for choosing this beer?

Taste? Price? Less hangover? Avaliability?

drunk.gifdrunk.gifdrunk.gif

Chang Export every day, tastes good and I can drink 5 or 6 640ml bottles and not have a hint of a hangover in the morning (I found out the other day that 7 will render me horribly hungover and unable to get out of bed until 6pm!!).

I used to drink Chang Classic but I just started losing days because it is too strong, however it is good for making a lager tops or shandy with for a hot afternoon and still be about 5% abv!

Most other beers here can give me a hangover after just 1 or 2, including Leo. The one time I drank Archas at a party it gave me a 2 day hangover and I swore to never drink it ever again. I've tried one mouthful of Beer Laos and didnt like it.

Funny thing is I used to drink Tiger beer back in the UK all the time, after the first few months in Thailand I went off it and havent drank it again. I had a phase of drinking only Heineken last year but got bored with the taste of it.

I think when I finally get bored of Chang Export (and I'm almost at that stage) I still have Singha left to go through...

• Like 1

Oh yeah, regarding price and availability of Chang Export here. At the moment I live in a pretty remote village an hour away from Ubon Rachathani and most of the mom and pop shops sell the small cans and big bottles. My local shop sells a box of 12x 640ml bottles for 500 baht, and she will deliver to my house for free if I order 2 boxes!

I used to be able to stand Chang if i had a few Leo first,

but now i rather spend twice and just carry on with Leo

Im just starting to realise that i can drink 6 bottles of singha and be fine. But if i drink just 2 or 3 Chang's, the hangover is unbelievable. Chang isn't twice or 3 times as strong as Singha so this ratio doesn't work out. I don't know what it is in Chang, but i just can't handdle it at all.

This is one of the reasons i started this poll.

Im surprised by the amount of votes for Chang export. Does anybody else get bad hangovers just from a couple of regular Chang, but can handle plenty of the other brands?

Its not the alcohol that really causes a hangover or a banging head after 2 bottles of beer, is it? Its probably whatever they use as a preservative.

In China I used to drink TsingTao beer and it gave me hangovers I thought I was going to die from, a few of them made me wish I did! All the muscles in my face would ache and I had the worst headache imaginable, all from 2 or 3 pints. Apparently they used famaldahide in the beer to preserve it!! It didnt stop any of us from drinking though as there was bery little choice in China at the time!

For some reason Chang does not give me a hangover as bad as Leo. 2 Leos will give me a headache and a mild hangover whereas 5 Chang Exports will not, even Chang Classic was not too bad.

Im just starting to realise that i can drink 6 bottles of singha and be fine. But if i drink just 2 or 3 Chang's, the hangover is unbelievable. Chang isn't twice or 3 times as strong as Singha so this ratio doesn't work out. I don't know what it is in Chang, but i just can't handdle it at all.

Im surprised by the amount of votes for Chang export. Does anybody else get bad hangovers just from a couple of regular Chang, but can handle plenty of the other brands?

Totally agree with you here, my local shop only had Chang Classic last week, 4 bottles of it and a stinker of a hangover the next day, but can down 6 big Singhas no problem.

Don't care much for the rest, the Classic tastes ok, as for Heineken wouldn't give it to me mother-in-law, if I had one.drunk.gif

Chang is cheap, strong, and tastes good, in my opinion. The availability of it is also a selling point.

I would have to agree for all the above reasons. i also like the taste. Chang classic at 6.4% .

was buying cartons of this for 450 baht at Big C jungceylon Kathu a couple of weeks back. About Aud $15 so cheap.

I also like the local heineken, go figure.

I stick to Leo because I like the picture on the cardboardbox . When I get fed up with Leo I go for the cheap rum Sang Som , well shacken with lime and a spot of honey over ice and soda .

Edit ,here is a dead thread I sterted up in desperation .

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/490118-old-hooch/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by onionluke

I stick to the Chang, especially to the "classic". But like the draught, the export as well and have no problem with Singha.

Back in the UK I introduced the Chang to my friends and they all agreed it tasted better then the regular cans from the off-licence.

People feel they're getting easy credit when they pay for it the morning after...

Well everyone has his own taste but i dont like lao beer at all,

Ancher beer OTOH is absolutely the best beer i ever tried, it's a cambodian beer, a sweet pilsner type of beer,

and a reason all by itself to move to Cambodia

Its not the alcohol that really causes a hangover or a banging head after 2 bottles of beer, is it? Its probably whatever they use as a preservative.

In China I used to drink TsingTao beer and it gave me hangovers I thought I was going to die from, a few of them made me wish I did! All the muscles in my face would ache and I had the worst headache imaginable, all from 2 or 3 pints. Apparently they used famaldahide in the beer to preserve it!! It didnt stop any of us from drinking though as there was bery little choice in China at the time!

For some reason Chang does not give me a hangover as bad as Leo. 2 Leos will give me a headache and a mild hangover whereas 5 Chang Exports will not, even Chang Classic was not too bad.

when I was in China in 1992 I never did see any TsingTao...just the locally brewed stuff in Jilin and Heilongiang provinces which were quite nice...then one day when waiting to get a train from Chanchung to Harbin the folks that I was with wanted the westerner to judge which was the best local beer as both were available and we went back to the design institute guest house to investigate...one was sweet and one was dry but both were excellent and I then expounded on judgement criteria that dissatisfied everyone as the local beer competition was fierce and a riot erupted; chinese engineers in disarray...I managed to escape to catch my train and we brought some extra boddles for the 50mph, 8 hour ride to Harbin...very entertaining, that was, but the toilets were terrible...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Whatever is fine as it's just piss in different forms. The stronger the better, because you're getting drunk more efficiently, so I guess the vote goes for Chang. It's always available, and does have a stronger, more distinct flavor to it, too.

Can't believe no one has voted for Singha Light I find it very refreshing and easy to drink.

After that I drink Tiger Light or Leo.but have been partial to the odd Chang or three.

We are off to the UK shortly so it's back to English Bitter for me.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by englishinsiam

i have moved from Chang to Leo but i like Ashanti best (spelt incorrectly no doubt) but i believe that is also brewed in Thailand too or so i have been told.

I can't drink to much of any beer nowdays as i seem to have a yeast intolerance so one beer for flavour and refreshment ( and a sleeping tonic ) does me nicely.

Singha all day long for me. Great beer.

I sometimes partake in a bit of Leo and Chang cause it's all over the place! I do prefer Leo to Chang though but if there's a decent deal on Draught Chang then I'll happily drink it but Singha wins hands down for me drunk.gif