Mse - Potentially Unprotected

UbonOz

Microsoft Security Essentials changes colour(green to orange), and says "Potentially Unprotected" .

I have it set to scan once per week and it was only scanned a couple of days ago. It has just changed again from protected to unprotected, has happened a couple of times recently.

Is there a problem somewhere and it needs to scan before the due time?

My little experience is that it takes a while to download the latest/daily update file - during this time it can change to orange and report "potentially unprotected".

Leaving it will give it chance to download the daily update then turn back green?

MSE is much better now than, say, two years ago.

When you turn on comp, then go online, good idea to update MSE manually first thing.

Maybe you schedule it to update weekly? - I suggest update manually, at least every day

While the comp is starting up, if you click on the MSE icon,the program will come up as orange initially,

then go green

It should not change from green after updating.

It will prompt you when to scan comp, unless you schedule this every week etc. (I guess you are doing this).

If you can not update, then you have a problem -

get back here for further advice. AA

MSE is much better now than, say, two years ago.

When you turn on comp, then go online, good idea to update MSE manually first thing.

Maybe you schedule it to update weekly? - I suggest update manually, at least every day

While the comp is starting up, if you click on the MSE icon,the program will come up as orange initially,

then go green

It should not change from green after updating.

It will prompt you when to scan comp, unless you schedule this every week etc. (I guess you are doing this).

If you can not update, then you have a problem -

get back here for further advice. AA

Have just finished MSE scan, ran for four hours.

It found some viruses which it has removed. There is one left which says "Allowed" in the "Action Taken" column of the history.

It is Virus:Win32/Sality.AM

I get terribly confused over all this information, don't if good or bad for the laptop.

Unless you are absolutely sure this is something you need you should NOT allow that. You can always start by quarantining it, then if after a couple of days it isn't missed, remove it.

I cannot do anything with it, it is just listed in the "History".

From http://www.microsoft...Win32/Sality.AM:

Summary

Virus:Win32/Sality.AM is a variant of a family of polymorphic file infectors that target Windows executable files with extensions .SCR or .EXE. They may execute a damaging payload that deletes files with certain extensions and terminates security-related processes and services.

How To Remove Virus.Win32.Sality.aa Win32/Sality.AM W32/Sality.ah

Have just used Auslogic registry cleaner, it repaired over 1,000 issues.

I have run MSE two times already today which have taken over four hours each time. The second run when completed said a scan had NOT been run for some time and did not change to green, stayed orange and says your computer is potentially unprotected.

I am now a third scan to see if Auslogic has made any difference, and to see if MSE goes green and protects the system.

I have no idea what is going on.

Helllllpppp.

From http://www.microsoft...Win32/Sality.AM:

Summary

Virus:Win32/Sality.AM is a variant of a family of polymorphic file infectors that target Windows executable files with extensions .SCR or .EXE. They may execute a damaging payload that deletes files with certain extensions and terminates security-related processes and services.

How To Remove Virus.Win32.Sality.aa Win32/Sality.AM W32/Sality.ah

No way can I tackle that, will have to get someone with computer expertise.

Actually if you read up on impartial reviews on the Internet MSE now comes up pretty clear as the best option, paid or not. One of the few products out of Redmond to have that honor.

I don't know why MSE didn't get rid of it in the first place, maybe it prompted you what you wanted to do with it and by accident you allowed it?

SuperAntiSpyware on line free is good. Have to update manually but finds stuff that my installed stuff ignores.

SUPERAntiSpyware received a "POOR" rating from PC Magazine who complained that it had no real-time protection and the lowest detection rate and lowest score in overall malware removal test. SUPERAntiSpyware received a 75/100 rating from 2-Spyware. The program detected and removed all the samples in the test case. 2-Spyware called the program powerful and highly effective, but not convenient or very easy to use. Both the freeware and commercial version received a 4 out of 5 star average user rating on CNET's Download.com website.

Source http://en.wikipedia....UPERAntiSpyware

Thanks for everybody's help.

I now have a new install of Windows 7. Went to Ubon today and had it all done. MSE has gone and Norton ESET NOD32 is in command now.

Hope it all works out OK.