Royal Marine Was Scammed By Pattaya Businessmen While Serving In Iraq

Boater

A British Royal Marine was scammed out of £30,000 by foreign businessmen in Pattaya while serving his country in Iraq and Lebanon.

Toby Brockhurst, 28, from Bristol, was with 45 Commando, Royal Marines, based in Arbroath, Scotland, when he was talked into buying into a housing development in Pattaya

Then for five years he sent a cut of his salary to Richard Haughton, boss of Harlequin, Thailand and a company called Thai Property Media Exhibition Co. Ltd.

He was persuaded to put cash down on a home in a development called Chang Gardens by Haughton, the smooth talking ex-President of the Pattaya-Jomtien Rotary Club, who has often been seen handing out gifts to local charities.

Toby-Brockhurst01.jpg

Toby (right) in Northern Ireland

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to ask; was he sending the money without meeting these people and without seeing the place etc.?

It is easy enough to get scammed even when you LIVE here let alone sending money to people without a lawyer etc.

I would NEVER do anything without a good lawyer here and ONLY through him/her.

And I'm not flaming but will also ad that if this is the case then he wasn't being very smart about this "transaction."

Unless he is here and has signed paper work, documents, lawyers involvment etc. I would say he is SOL.

Even a visit from him to the "scammer" might end up in the innocent being guilty if he is charged with assult etc. Sad situations but one really needs to be carefull here and actually more careful then most countries and should spend a great deal of time here before buying anything even fully legite.

You say it was in a "housing development" and we all know a farang cannot buy a house here in his name unless it is through a company and if he wasn't using a lawyer then chances are he doesn't have a company here. Was it in his gf's name or something.

Very little details you give here in order for people to respond in a helpfull way and also you could be charged with deformation if you are not carefull. Thai Criminal Code: 306/304 because you have made this "public" so with "third parties" involved now you better be careful if you yourself lives here in Thailand.

I am not by ANY means defending scammers if this is all true however just pointing out some realities here in LOS.

• Like 1

I have to ask; was he sending the money without meeting these people and without seeing the place etc.?

It is easy enough to get scammed even when you LIVE here let alone sending money to people without a lawyer etc.

I would NEVER do anything without a good lawyer here and ONLY through him/her.

And I'm not flaming but will also ad that if this is the case then he wasn't being very smart about this "transaction."

Unless he is here and has signed paper work, documents, lawyers involvment etc. I would say he is SOL.

Even a visit from him to the "scammer" might end up in the innocent being guilty if he is charged with assult etc. Sad situations but one really needs to be carefull here and actually more careful then most countries and should spend a great deal of time here before buying anything even fully legite.

You say it was in a "housing development" and we all know a farang cannot buy a house here in his name unless it is through a company and if he wasn't using a lawyer then chances are he doesn't have a company here. Was it in his gf's name or something.

Very little details you give here in order for people to respond in a helpfull way and also you could be charged with deformation if you are not carefull. Thai Criminal Code: 306/304 because you have made this "public" so with "third parties" involved now you better be careful if you yourself lives here in Thailand.

I am not by ANY means defending scammers if this is all true however just pointing out some realities here in LOS.

yes but he will have a receipt from sending money from wherever he is to thailand.

And on any transaction don't you have to fill out the reason why you are sending funds abroad to someones account.

That with some emails should be enough proof shouldn't it ? or am i wrong and he has big problem ?

Edited by Markland
  • Like 1

I'm sorry but trust me you are wrong. Men send money to there gf's and even Woman send money to their Thai bf's all the time here and the reason for sending has no baring what so ever really. Thailand has some strange laws and believe me I have studies Thai Law for years and have even corrected lawyers and Prosecutors.

If he has no solid documents or contract (In Thai and translated in English) then he is not going anywhere with this. If you pm me I will give you the name of a good free lawyer you/him can call here in Pattaya but trust me he is SOL.

I lost 300,000 baht on a house here because it was being built and I was buying it as "new" but when it was finished they moved their office into it and was cooking, swimming, sleeping atc. also. I even had video and pictures to prove this AND every document, contract you can imagine but I didn't have a leg to stand on unless I wanted to pay the Thai corts 200,000 baht first (with no guarrantee. This is just normal) and then take it to trial. I would have lost as in the contract it did not state that they COULD move in and use it as an office until the full amount was paid. Yes TIT.

Also making this post is VERY dangerous as I stated earlier. The OP could be in a GREAT deal of trouble for deformation as I said.

I'm sorry but trust me you are wrong. Men send money to there gf's and even Woman send money to their Thai bf's all the time here and the reason for sending has no baring what so ever really. Thailand has some strange laws and believe me I have studies Thai Law for years and have even corrected lawyers and Prosecutors.

If he has no solid documents or contract (In Thai and translated in English) then he is not going anywhere with this. If you pm me I will give you the name of a good free lawyer you/him can call here in Pattaya but trust me he is SOL.

I lost 300,000 baht on a house here because it was being built and I was buying it as "new" but when it was finished they moved their office into it and was cooking, swimming, sleeping atc. also. I even had video and pictures to prove this AND every document, contract you can imagine but I didn't have a leg to stand on unless I wanted to pay the Thai corts 200,000 baht first (with no guarrantee. This is just normal) and then take it to trial. I would have lost as in the contract it did not state that they COULD move in and use it as an office until the full amount was paid. Yes TIT.

Also making this post is VERY dangerous as I stated earlier. The OP could be in a GREAT deal of trouble for deformation as I said.

Thanks but it is to late for me i already lost 10 millin baht years ago because i am stupid

The word is "defamation",..not "deformation".

Number one rule in Thailand...don't do business with any farang businessmen as they are all a bunch of scammers, cons on the run from the law, and assorted other tossers. Don't trust any of them...much safer dealing with legitimate Thai businessmen and companies...and at least some semblence of legal recourse if things don't go as planned.

Trust me in Thailand it is "Deform- ation" as you will walk out deformed.

Sorry for helping and for my typo but I wasn't aware the "Spelling Bees" would be after me after giving some good advice.

• Like 1

gone couldnt you off went to police and press criminal charge because fraud ?

No. Like I say I did all I could obviously. I could have tried to sue them but again like I said, that starts at 200k to the cours. Sometimes it's just better to cut your losses and keep them as experience. I moved here to get away from stress not to wallow in it. (Gone looks around for the spelling bees).

One thing people have to realize is that you will NEVER own anything in Thailand. Even if it's a condo or a house in your company name if they want you to leave all they have to do is get three Thai people to make a compalint about you and you could be deported (among many other ways). You need to be here in person to sell anything (signature) so you are SOL. You can't take your condo with you and if you think they give you time to feed your cats, water your plants and take care of all your business before they deport you, you are wrong.

Even if your house in in your gf's name and she is 110% good what if she dies first? What do you think will happen then? Unless your Thai family really loves you for real and let's you stay in the house they would NEVER allow you to get a new gf/wife and move her in.

Edited by Gone

Having seen so many developers with exhibits at Central world-plaza I kept wondering if all these new condo

developments in Pattaya will really be successfully completed?

So I went to speak to a couple of them and asked how many are now depositing money they receive from

buyers into Escrow (following the introduction of the Escrow Act in Thailand (http://thailand-real...w-act-b-e-2551/ )

Apparently not one of them is doing this!

So evidently nobody has learnt a thing from the past. All these buyers are handing over money to developers who are simply using these funds to build the project but if something goes wrong or they fall short of their targets and the projects are cancelled they can lose every satang.

I predict there will be some spectacular losses

Edited by Asiantravel

One thing these property scammers will not do is sell to Thai people. If they ever do, they make sure everything is above board. Thai people will not wait 5 to 10 years for a court date. They have their own methods

Chang Gardens by Haughton, the smooth talking ex-President of the Pattaya-Jomtien Rotary Club

I'm pleased to read that Haughton has been removed as president of the honorable Rotary Club, and been replaced by a more thrustworthy individual.whistling.gif

Sorry for helping and for my typo but I wasn't aware the "Spelling Bees" would be after me after giving some good advice.

How can you call it good advice when you don't even know how to spell the name of the alleged crime?

Next time try...Slander.

Believe me, if I was part of a "spelling Bee", there would have been more than one typo pointed out.

isnt a receipt from his bank abroad to a thai bank with the reason why the money was sent a soid document ?

sorry my english not good i from brazil

In the real Wild West World of Pattaya justice, he could well be right!

In the real Wild West World of Pattaya justice, he could well be right!

Only on Soi 6.

How can you call it good advice when you don't even know how to spell the name of the alleged crime?

Next time try...Slander.

Believe me, if I was part of a "spelling Bee", there would have been more than one typo pointed out.

Sorry I'm not an English teacher and I can't spell so I guess all my knowledge of the Thai Law is not worth a pinch.

Look it up in the Thai Criminal Code: section 304/306 It's defamation NOT slander. There is no Thai word for slander however there is for defamation. Please stop trolling and trying to flame.

Number one rule in Thailand...don't do business with any farang businessmen as they are all a bunch of scammers, cons on the run from the law, and assorted other tossers. Don't trust any of them...much safer dealing with legitimate Thai businessmen and companies...and at least some semblence of legal recourse if things don't go as planned.

Thank you for calling me a scammer !

I did not know that we met before and you have already a opinion about me.

I do business with foreigners for about 10 years ( renting out houses ) without any single incident or problem.

Wonder if Dick will be getting a visit from Toby and a couple of his mates?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Don't think he will need any mates to sort stuff out. jap.gif

you obviously don't know who mr scam artist is connected to

On a quiet road late at night connections don't count for much.

Commando's do this for a living....

• Like 2

i still do not understand and fail to see why a receipt from a bank trasnaction from abroad to thai bank with reason for payment written on transaction not solid proof ?

it must be.A receipt is solid proof yes ?

Saying the money is for x and proving it is for x are two different things. For the latter you need a contract.

If you send me money you can't force an obligation on to me just by adding a notation to the transfer.

• Like 1

Chang Gardens by Haughton, the smooth talking ex-President of the Pattaya-Jomtien Rotary Club

I'm pleased to read that Haughton has been removed as president of the honorable Rotary Club, and been replaced by a more thrustworthy individual.whistling.gif

now can ask for mr kon lol