Will I Be Denied A Tourist Visa?

I have 4 single-entry 60-day tourist visas -- two of which are consecutive and all the visas have been extended by 30 days (as well as dozens of land and air visa-exempt stamps). I'm leaving Thailand and retiring to the USA. I can get an Ed. visa while I'm in the US, I'm sure, and I do want to study Thai, but I will have to leave Thailand a few times over the course of the year. My travel schedule will also cause me to miss some classes. I would like to get a triple entry tourist visa while i'm back in the US, but will I be denied? I have funds to show, under 50 years old and have never had an overstay.

Thank you for your help understanding.

I think you will have no problem. I have similar history as you. 3 tourist visas and several visa exempt entries. I even had a Non-immigrant B visa for 2 years . In fact my passport was full and I had to get pages added. I just applied for and received a triple entry tourist visa from the Royal Thai Consulate in Los Angeles. I included proof of paid inbound flight, outbound flight 3 months later to neighboring country, and proof of funds and a letter explaining I would be renting a bungalow and thus have no proof of lodging yet. Mailed it in with return envelope and had it back a few days later. They are really quick, and this was over Songkran.

It seems to me that Thai consulates based in most western countries have no problem in granting visas, since applying for a Thai visa from within your own country would bonafide you as a true tourist, no problem.

Once you get here however, getting ongoing visas is a different story. Neighbouring countries are'nt as generous and easy going as they used to be and are denying those with many previous entries.

If i were you i would get your double or triple entry from home and stay for that duration, then arrange the neccesary paperwork for an education visa (which cannot be denied IF done right) within Thailand, which will allow you to stay longer without any dramas..

If thats what you wish of course.

It seems that easy back to back tourist visas from neighbouring countries are very much a thing of the past.