Download Pop-Ups Half Thai Half English

UbonOz

I have just been to have a new Windows 7 installed today as I have been having problems.

Some of you may have read my earlier topics on the subject.

Anyway, all appears OK after the new install, but, the annoying thing now is that when I am trying to download programmes I had before the pop-up windows which ask where you want to install etc appear in Thai and another in English.

Is there anyway to adjust settings for everything to appear in English?

I tried to communicate with the Thai guy regarding having everything in English, he made some changes but obviously not enough.

If I can get this problem sorted out, hopefully, you will not hear from me for a while.

None of the above work.

I bought a new Canon printer yesterday and the shop installed the software, it all Thai as well.

Today I uninstalled the software to reload in English. it loads in Thai again, quite frustrating.

I am going to send an email to Canon and see if I can get an English version for the drivers

Thanks for the help.

If the driver software installs in Thai, that usually means the Language for non-Unicode programs is set to Thai.

Check this setting by going to Region and Language settings from the Control Panel then click the Administrative tab.

Then in the 'Language for non-Unicode programs' section it should be one of the English language options. Not Thai.

post-52310-0-54615700-1333976748_thumb.j

Change it if it's not and reboot the computer for the change to take affect.

Then uninstall the driver and software. Disconnect the printer and reboot the computer to complete the uninstall.

Reinstall using the instructions and CD supplied with the printer. Many times the printer should be left unplugged until the installer prompts you to connect the printer. The installation instructions will usually tell you.

The printer driver and software should now be in English.

Then check to see if the prompts for location to save a downloaded file are in English. If not, uninstall Google Chrome and reinstall. Google Chrome should install in the default language.

Edited by BB1950

If the driver software installs in Thai, that usually means the Language for non-Unicode programs is set to Thai.

Check this setting by going to Region and Language settings from the Control Panel then click the Administrative tab.

Then in the 'Language for non-Unicode programs' section it should be one of the English language options. Not Thai.

Then uninstall the driver and software. Disconnect the printer and reboot the computer to complete the uninstall.

Reinstall using the instructions and CD supplied with the printer. Many times the printer should be left unplugged until the installer prompts you to connect the printer. The installation instructions will usually tell you.

Then check to see if the prompts for location to save a downloaded file are in English. If not, uninstall Google Chrome and reinstall. Google Chrome should install in the default language.

Thank you, it has half worked.

I have reinstalled the printer software etc, and it appears OK. What you suggested did change the disc to English.

I have shutdown and restarted each time I have made changes.

Strangely, I still get Thai for the icons on my desktop, they are buttons you can push to print, scan and copy instead of pushing the buttons on the printer. Don't know why they have not changed to English.

I just tried to download iTunes and the pop-up box was a jumble of letters.

When I go to the "Region & Language>Administrative" and hit Copy Settings it shows:

Current User is all English, location is Thailand

Welcome screen - Display/Input Language is English. Format & Location is Thailand.

New user accounts - Display & Input Language is English

Format & Location is Thailand.

Could this be the problem?

The "Format" Thailand is suspicious.

How can I change the format.

I have gone to the "Format" tab and it is English UK, have changed to English US to get the Apply button highlighted.

Have shutdown and will restart to see if changes have been made.

Still stays the same, with Thailand as Format & Location.

Another thing when I uninstalled the printer there was a folder in Windows 7©>Program Files(x86)>Canon which I could not delete, it said being used in another programme.

Thank you, it has half worked.

I have reinstalled the printer software etc, and it appears OK. What you suggested did change the disc to English.

I have shutdown and restarted each time I have made changes.

Strangely, I still get Thai for the icons on my desktop, they are buttons you can push to print, scan and copy instead of pushing the buttons on the printer. Don't know why they have not changed to English.

I just tried to download iTunes and the pop-up box was a jumble of letters.

When I go to the "Region & Language>Administrative" and hit Copy Settings it shows:

Current User is all English, location is Thailand

Welcome screen - Display/Input Language is English. Format & Location is Thailand.

New user accounts - Display & Input Language is English

Format & Location is Thailand.

Could this be the problem?

The "Format" Thailand is suspicious.

How can I change the format.

This is what is happening now in the picture. Sorry it is sideways. See photo in http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/546938-win7-ultimate-language-problem/page__fromsearch__1

Started a new thread to see if I can get more information on the problem

The current User settings of Format & Language - all English and Location - Thailand are correct.

However, you might want to modify it to change the Measurement System to Metric. To do this go to the Region and Language settings, select the Format tab and click the 'Additional Settings...' button.

post-52310-0-53024500-1333990742_thumb.j

From the Customize Format window:

post-52310-0-35918800-1333991424_thumb.j

Change the Measurement System to Metric, The click Apply and OK.

You Current User settings will now be correct.

Now select the 'Administrative' tab and click the 'Copy Settings...' button.

From the 'Welcome screeen and new users accounts settings' window. tick both check boxes at the bottom of the window ('Welcome screen and system accounts' and 'New user accounts').

post-52310-0-24059500-1333992597_thumb.j

Click OK.

All the settings will now be the same as the 'Current User' settings. You can verify it by clicking the 'Copy Settings....' button again.

Your system will now have the correct Region, Format, and Language settings. However that is not the problem with your desktop printer buttons in Thai and your iTunes application showing strange characters. The problem with the desktop icons is probably due to an incomplete uninstall of your printer software and the problem with iTunes is because you no longer have Thai fonts installed.

Lets start with the printer. These steps must be followed in this order!

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and don't connect it until prompted by the installation of the Cannon drivers and software!
  2. Uninstall any application that is label 'Cannon' in the description of the installed software list. Most likely there will be an entry for the installed driver and one or more entries for the desktop software.
  3. Reboot the computer after installing all the Cannon software.
  4. After the computer is rebooted, check these folders to see there are any Cannon folders remaining.
    C:\Program Files
    C:\Program Files (x386)
    %appdata%/Roaming (Note: you cannot browse to this folder. To get to this folder, click the Windows Start and then type "%appdata%" in the search bar without the quotes. Then click 'Roaming' in the list.)
  5. Delete any folders that are 'Cannon' should you have any problems deleting a folder because it is locked install a free application called 'Unlocker' which is available from here. (This is the official site. Be careful because other sources may have malware!)
  6. Delete any Desktop Icons and/or entries in the Start Menu (if remaining).
  7. Reboot the computer.
  8. Now install the Cannon printer software and connect the printer when instructed.
  9. The Cannon printer software should now be installed correctly.

Your iTunes app was installed when the computer had Thai fonts installed and was installed in Thai. When you changed the system to be in English, the Thai fonts were removed. You now need to uninstall iTunes and reinstall, However my last experience with uninstalling iTunes, it did not do a clean uninstall. So you need to do a similar method to uninstall it.

1. Uninstall iTunes.
  2. Reboot the computer.
  3. Check these folders for any 'iTunes' or 'Apple' folders.
    %appdata%/Roaming
  4. Delete any folders folders related to 'iTunes' or 'Apple'. Again if you have any problems with locked folders use Unlocker to delete them.
  5. Reboot the computer
  6. Install iTunes

Your iTunes should have installed in English.

I am leaving for Laos today. I will not be back until after the 17th, so I will be unable to assist you further.

Good Luck!

Edited by BB1950

The current User settings of Format & Language - all English and Location - Thailand are correct.

However, you might want to modify it to change the Measurement System to Metric. To do this go to the Region and Language settings, select the Format tab and click the 'Additional Settings...' button.

post-52310-0-53024500-1333990742_thumb.j

From the Customize Format window:

post-52310-0-35918800-1333991424_thumb.j

Change the Measurement System to Metric, The click Apply and OK.

You Current User settings will now be correct.

Now select the 'Administrative' tab and click the 'Copy Settings...' button.

From the 'Welcome screeen and new users accounts settings' window. tick both check boxes at the bottom of the window ('Welcome screen and system accounts' and 'New user accounts').

post-52310-0-24059500-1333992597_thumb.j

Click OK.

All the settings will now be the same as the 'Current User' settings. You can verify it by clicking the 'Copy Settings....' button again.

Your system will now have the correct Region, Format, and Language settings. However that is not the problem with your desktop printer buttons in Thai and your iTunes application showing strange characters. The problem with the desktop icons is probably due to an incomplete uninstall of your printer software and the problem with iTunes is because you no longer have Thai fonts installed.

Lets start with the printer. These steps must be followed in this order!

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and don't connect it until prompted by the installation of the Cannon drivers and software!
  2. Uninstall any application that is label 'Cannon' in the description of the installed software list. Most likely there will be an entry for the installed driver and one or more entries for the desktop software.
  3. Reboot the computer after installing all the Cannon software.
  4. After the computer is rebooted, check these folders to see there are any Cannon folders remaining.
    %appdata%/Roaming (Note: you cannot browse to this folder. To get to this folder, click the Windows Start and then type "%appdata%" in the search bar without the quotes. Then click 'Roaming' in the list.)
  5. Delete any folders that are 'Cannon' should you have any problems deleting a folder because it is locked install a free application called 'Unlocker' which is available from here. (This is the official site. Be careful because other sources may have malware!)
  6. Delete any Desktop Icons and/or entries in the Start Menu (if remaining).
  7. Reboot the computer.
  8. Now install the Cannon printer software and connect the printer when instructed.
  9. The Cannon printer software should now be installed correctly.

Your iTunes app was installed when the computer had Thai fonts installed and was installed in Thai. When you changed the system to be in English, the Thai fonts were removed. You now need to uninstall iTunes and reinstall, However my last experience with uninstalling iTunes, it did not do a clean uninstall. So you need to do a similar method to uninstall it.

1. Uninstall iTunes.
  2. Reboot the computer.
  3. Check these folders for any 'iTunes' or 'Apple' folders.
    %appdata%/Roaming
  4. Delete any folders folders related to 'iTunes' or 'Apple'. Again if you have any problems with locked folders use Unlocker to delete them.
  5. Reboot the computer
  6. Install iTunes

Your iTunes should have installed in English.

I am leaving for Laos today. I will not be back until after the 17th, so I will be unable to assist you further.

Good Luck!

Thanks very much for all your help. I will get into it in the morning with a fresh brain, hopefully.

Will let you know my success/fail. Something for you to look forward to on your return from Laos, lol

Have a great trip.

Unfortunately, no success.

The Canon icons on the desktop are still in Thai.

The attempt to download iTunes remains the same with the pop-up windows having the strange characters.

Hi,

if I were in your position - sounds like you've been plagued by viruses, and maybe dodgy windows copies - I'd have a go at starting from scratch,with the free download for Windows 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download?SignedIn=1

installation is somewhat self-explanatory, just need to check whether you are 32- or 64-bit.

The installation will format (ie wipe out) whatever you have on your comp, but Microsoft claim it is more energy efficient (faster) system. Maybe worth waiting for a few other opinions (and I always run a linux partition). Cheers, AA

I guess this is one the problems of having a not properly licenced version of Windows. Otherwise the easiest thing to do would be to run a clean install, entering the correct settings in the first place.

Having a Thai install it for you is going to be dicey from the start. How did he activate the OS? If you don't know, you might have problems when it comes to running a repair install or if you have to fix your boot record after a rootkit infection.

Make and model of your computer?

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

I guess this is one the problems of having a not properly licenced version of Windows. Otherwise the easiest thing to do would be to run a clean install, entering the correct settings in the first place.

Having a Thai install it for you is going to be dicey from the start. How did he activate the OS? If you don't know, you might have problems when it comes to running a repair install or if you have to fix your boot record after a rootkit infection.

Make and model of your computer?

Compaq Presario CQ40.

I have another laptop which has a legitimate Windows XP.

When I bought this one a couple of years ago an English guy loaded Windows 7.

The computer is running well, it is just this language thing that is annoying.

• 4 months later...

UbonOz, googling something else I stumbled over your question. Hopefully you have fixed it by now.

Same problem as yours: iTunes install messages all in Thai.

Fixed it by Control Panel - Clock, Language and Region - Region and Language - Administrative - System Locale

That was Thailand, I changed it to Australia and all fine ( I am not in Australia).

Edited by think_too_mut