Did Thaksin Meet Insurgents? Yes He Did, Many Sources Say

webfact

SECRET MEETING

Did Thaksin meet insurgents?

Don Pathan

The Nation

30179611-01_big.jpg

Yes he did, many sources say

BANGKOK: -- Alleged sightings of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra meeting quietly with Muslim insurgent chieftains just before the bloody bombings in Songkhla and Yala have kicked up a major political storm. The ruling Pheu Thai Party and the man himself have vehemently denied any such rendezvous. Several sources, including some from the insurgency side, have contradicted that, however.

The Nation has learned some details of the "meeting", in which Thaksin supposedly stopped short of apologising but expressed regret for some of the violent incidents carried out by authorities during his administration.

The sources said he told the group of 15 exiled leaders from long-standing Malay Muslim separatist groups that his harsh tactics in the deep South were partly the result of his being "misinformed" by authorities.

Thaksin urged all sides to let bygones be bygones and work together to bring peace back to the restless region. He gave each exiled leader a hug before leaving, according to the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Thaksin was not accompanied by any Thai government official to the meeting in the middle of last month, about two weeks before the bomb attacks in Yala and Hat Yai, that was facilitated by a Malaysian government agency.

"I thought he [Thaksin] was sincere with his gesture," said one exiled separatist who was at the meeting. "But this conflict is beyond the control of one man."

Refusing to take part in the secret meeting were the elders of the Barisan Revolusi Nasional-Coordinate (BRN-C), whose cadre told The Nation that they "could never forgive Thaksin for what he has done to the Malays of Patani" when he was premier. They pointed to the Tak Bai massacre and other incidents in which he refused to punish abusive authorities.

This source said it didn't matter whether Thaksin's overtures were sincere or not because the so-called exiled leaders whom Thaksin met had no real influence on the militants in the field.

The BRN-Coordinate's refusal to deal with the Thaksin camp does not mean that the group has ruled out the idea of talking or negotiating with the Thai state. There are other entities in the Kingdom that they are willing to talk to but only if the "situation" is right, the source said.

The BRN-C member said his outfit has the best working relationship with the Juwae, or armed militants currently operating on the ground, but the relationship is too fluid to establish a shared command.

Juwae are organised into semi-independent cells that span the three southernmost provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat and the four Malay-speaking districts in Songkhla. Juwae and the BRN-Coordinate are working towards establishing a shared command.

Unless the BRN-C and the Juwae can consolidate into one entity, with the BRN leaders forming the political wing and juwae the military wing of the movement, it would be difficult to move forward with any negotiations or peace talks with the Thai side, the source said.

According to exiled leaders, there isn't much unity among the so-called Patani Malay separatist groups, many of whom surfaced in the late 1960s to take up arms against the Thai state.

The Patani United Liberation Organisation (Pulo), for example, has three persons claiming to be the president of the group. Similarly, the identities of the members of the BRN-Coordinate remain heavily guarded. Like Pulo, the BRN-Coordinate has many self-professed leaders.

In the view of one BRN-Coordinate cadre from the faction that boycotted the Thaksin meeting, the recent attack in Yala that killed at least 11 people and wounded more than 100 was the juwae's way of turning down Thaksin's offer of an olive branch.

Hat Yai was hit on the same day as Yala but Hat Yai was not on the separatist movement's agenda, the source said.

The car bombing of the Lee Gardens Plaza Hotel in Hat Yai was probably part of a turf war between influential figures with an axe to grind with authorities, the source said.

Juwae selling their skills to crime syndicates is not uncommon, he said. The Lee Gardens Plaza hotel and shopping complex was also targeted in September 2006 when one of the six motorcycle bombs that rocked the city exploded right in front of it.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-09

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In the view of one BRN-Coordinate cadre from the faction that boycotted the Thaksin meeting, the recent attack in Yala that killed at least 11 people and wounded more than 100 was the juwae's way of turning down Thaksin's offer of an olive branch."

If this is true, did Taksin enter Malaysia on a Thai passport to do his "deal" with the Juwae? The Thai foreign ministry must have known about this. Perhaps someone from the ministry was at the meeting? Since the deal was rejected, it makes Thailand look incredibly stupid, and caused the unnecessary loss of many lives.

• Like 1

I have seldom seen the identity of Southern insurgents specific to organizational affiliation in the media. It is not that this hasn't happened, it is just that I have never seen it. But here it is done liberally, suspiciously so, as it certainly serves to advance the agenda of anti-Thaksism by alleged association. I question that it is a sincere concern about such alleged fraternity, as opposed to a "get Thaksin' agenda.

Edited by CalgaryII

The Nation has learned some details of the "meeting", in which Thaksin supposedly stopped short of apologising but expressed regret for some of the violent incidents carried out by authorities during his administration.

"Sorry, seems to be the hardest word".

I find it absolutely ridiculous how even in this context the idea of whether face is lost or gained is placed so high in the article. How does one express regret without saying "sorry"?

"Juwae selling their skills to crime syndicates is not uncommon,"

"Turf wars"? So this is what happens when someone tries to muscle in on another Influential figures turf? unbelievable.So these insergents are puppets mercenaries soldiers for the influential figures?

And the Bombings are how they comunicate with each other? Its like something out of a Thomas Pynchon Novel.

Edited by beammeup

Dear oh dear! So Thaksin IS meddling in goverment issues in a neighbouring country, and added to that fuelled an outright attack on Thai soil.

What will the naughty man do next? God knows!

-mel

• Like 1

I have seldom seen the identity of Southern insurgents specific to organizational affiliation in the media. It is not that this hasn't happened, it is just that I have never seen it. But here it is done liberally, suspiciously so, as it certainly serves to advance the agenda of anti-Thaksism by alleged association. I question that it is a sincere concern about such alleged fraternity, as opposed to a "get Thaksin' agenda.

So you don't think Thaksin could possibly have met with any of these people, to apologise for some of the bad things which happened on his watch, and attempt to bring peace back to the region ? As a non-explosive "minor symbolic act", to use his loyal friend D-PM Chalerm's memorable phrase ?

I'd agree that it sounds unlikely.

And any suggestion that he might have done so must be part of a 'get Thaksin' agenda ?

One can only hope that no proof ever emerges, to prove us wrong.

Once one can raise their sights beyond this media din of anti-Thaksism, there is possibly another angle worth considering. It cannot be argued that Mr. T. represents the electoral majority in Thailand.....right?....Electoral results of the past, including as recently as last year with which he was closely associated, provide irrefutable evidence of it...... Mr. Abhisit does not have comparable credentials........................ Given those facts, and should these anti-Thaksin innuendoes regarding attempts to affect the Southern insurgency be correct.....What would be wrong with that? Just compare the validity of a Thaksin in such discussions compared to any other Thai politician, with perhaps the exception of Ms. Y, and one can understand the cogency of it all................ So when one looks beyond all the media noise and smoke, this is worth considering.........As for those who would suggest that the recent Bangkok bombings have a relationship to all of this, those would be the same people who would be expected to blame Thaksin for an earthquake in Timbuktu.

Edited by CalgaryII

Once one can raise their sights beyond this media din of anti-Thaksism, there is possibly another angle worth considering. It cannot be argued that Mr. T. represents the electoral majority in Thailand.....right?....Electoral results of the past, including as recently as last year with which he was closely associated, provide irrefutable evidence of it...... Mr. Abhisit does not have comparable credentials........................ Given those facts, and should these anti-Thaksin innuendoes regarding attempts to affect the Southern insurgency be correct.....What would be wrong with that? Just compare the validity of a Thaksin in such discussions compared to any other Thai politician, with perhaps the exception of Ms. Y, and one can understand the cogency of it all................ So when one looks beyond all the media noise and smoke, this is worth considering.........As for those who would suggest that the recent Bangkok bombings have a relationship to all of this, those would be the same people who would be expected to blame Thaksin for an earthquake in Timbuktu.

"It cannot be argued that Mr. T. represents the electoral majority in Thailand.....right?.." Thailand, one of the only countries in the world where the electoral majority is represented by a fugitive criminal? I don't think so. It's more like a self-appointed representative. Keep in mind the government is run by the Pheu Thai "it's not about Thaksin" party dry.png

"Thaksin urged all sides to let bygones be bygones and work together to bring peace back to the restless region."

------

The underlying message in that is let bygones be bygones and bring me back to a restless country, so I can fix it.

The country wouldn't be so restless if you Mr T, as exiled, would stop interferring in matters that a 'simple unemployed man' is not permitted to do.

You've done it this time fella. You should be calling controllers now, on behalf of your honourable family, "NASA, we have a problem!" giggle.gif

-mel.

Its not like Thaksin has never lied before. You cant believe anything that comes out of that mouth.

Any Muslim groups that have beef with him, have an excellent opportunity to take him out while abroad in Dubai. But no one has, and it makes you wonder why.

Putting partisanship aside, I think there would be great merit to the PT selecting Thaksin as their ambassador to the South. Anything that reduces the violence there, no matter how unorthodox would be a good thing. But it has to be done in the open with the full participation of the government. Otherwise, how does anyone know the deal offered will be acceptable to the rest of the country? All the stakeholders need to have some say in this. If Thaksin's actions were coordinated officially, I would fully support his involvement. After all, who better to negotiate with terrorists than another known terrorist?

• Like 1

Leaving the bombing issue aside for the moment, I can certainly understand Thaksin wanting to meet with some of the southern insurgents...

After all, he was just filling in as a kind of shadow Prime Minister and Foreign Minister for the eminently absent people nominally filling those positions at present.

BTW, The Nation article is not just hearsay. It includes a quote from at least one unnamed party who claims to have been at the meeting with Thaksin in person, along with the various other supporting claims.

"I thought he [Thaksin] was sincere with his gesture," said one exiled separatist who was at the meeting. "But this conflict is beyond the control of one man."

I'm hoping someone there happened to be using their mobile phone camera that day...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Who can you believe I could and you could say you met him. Who can prove it.

You can say you have a tour for farangs to meet him collect the money and say he is sick.

I still say I met an old Gent who was about 70 years old and said he was living with his mother. I known you will believe him because he spoke Thai well

Well, at least someone is trying to talk to them.

Like or loathe the man, if what he was trying to achieve was the start of some sort of dialogue which could at least start a discussion to get to a peaceful resolution, it is something.

Whether he is the right guy is a completely other issue.

Well, at least someone is trying to talk to them.

Like or loathe the man, if what he was trying to achieve was the start of some sort of dialogue which could at least start a discussion to get to a peaceful resolution, it is something.

Whether he is the right guy is a completely other issue.

The fugitive and his puppets all deny any talks with the terrorists, even his parrott denies it. Unless all of them are lying of course ...hit-the-fan.gif

Leaving the bombing issue aside for the moment, I can certainly understand Thaksin wanting to meet with some of the southern insurgents...

After all, he was just filling in as a kind of shadow Prime Minister and Foreign Minister for the eminently absent people nominally filling those positions at present.

BTW, The Nation article is not just hearsay. It includes a quote from at least one unnamed party who claims to have been at the meeting with Thaksin in person, along with the various other supporting claims.

I'm hoping someone there happened to be using their mobile phone camera that day...

Well that is the proof that everyone has been looking for- got him banged to rights now.

Surely in this day and age, someone, somewhere must have got a photo of him wherever he was??? surely???

"Thaksin urged all sides to let bygones be bygones and work together to bring peace back to the restless region."

------

The underlying message in that is let bygones be bygones and bring me back to a restless country, so I can fix it.

The country wouldn't be so restless if you Mr T, as exiled, would stop interferring in matters that a 'simple unemployed man' is not permitted to do.

"Not permitted" by who? He is the defacto head of government, holds nearly all the effective power in the current situtation, and will do as he likes. Far more actual damage to the country, particularly its all-important international reputation has been done by the opposition over the past few years.

What will it take for the usual suspects to agree that Big T is a self-serving megomaniac, does he have to personally shoot someone in public. Nah they would believe his denial

Of course he is, but only in the same way the average western large-corp CEO is. IMO far more harm is being done to the future of Thailand by continuing the conflict and preventing his pardon and return. He bought the government fair and square, and it just isn't efficient for him to have to run everything by remote control from Dubai.

It's well worth considering that Mr Abhisit doesn't have cronies buy his votes all the way from Korat to Nong Khai also.

The number of votes for Thaksin may well have out-weighed those of Abhisit, but when one considers the true validity of 'unbought' villagers' votes, then in a fair duel Mr Abhisit would win hands down, in any true and unbent voting environment.

Hogwash. Buying votes is how democracy operates here, just as with unrestricted spending by dark forces in the US.

Abhisit himself aside, the opposition certainly did its share of vote-buying in contested districts. However no amount of money would have helped in the many many areas where Thaksin's support is strongest, and in those areas neither party bothered.

• Like 1

He is bluffing. I don't think the hard core Wahhabi hardliners would talk to him. They have their own goals, namely the establishment of a worldwide Emirate that will bring back the "Rule of the Rightly-guided" and are not interested in talks that will only promote a particular politician's agenda.

Well that is the proof that everyone has been looking for- got him banged to rights now.

Surely in this day and age, someone, somewhere must have got a photo of him wherever he was??? surely???

According to the democrats there is a picture of him with the insurgents on the PULO Website. Except, there isn't. Apparently someone we can't mention because he's not part of this discussion has proof that Thaksin has met with insurgents but it won't be published, only for private viewing, apparently.

• Like 1

------

"Not permitted" by who? He is the defacto head of government, holds nearly all the effective power in the current situtation, and will do as he likes. Far more actual damage to the country, particularly its all-important international reputation has been done by the opposition over the past few years.

What will it take for the usual suspects to agree that Big T is a self-serving megomaniac, does he have to personally shoot someone in public. Nah they would believe his denial

Of course he is, but only in the same way the average western large-corp CEO is. IMO far more harm is being done to the future of Thailand by continuing the conflict and preventing his pardon and return. He bought the government fair and square, and it just isn't efficient for him to have to run everything by remote control from Dubai.

It's well worth considering that Mr Abhisit doesn't have cronies buy his votes all the way from Korat to Nong Khai also.

The number of votes for Thaksin may well have out-weighed those of Abhisit, but when one considers the true validity of 'unbought' villagers' votes, then in a fair duel Mr Abhisit would win hands down, in any true and unbent voting environment.

Hogwash. Buying votes is how democracy operates here, just as with unrestricted spending by dark forces in the US.

Abhisit himself aside, the opposition certainly did its share of vote-buying in contested districts. However no amount of money would have helped in the many many areas where Thaksin's support is strongest, and in those areas neither party bothered.

Buying votes is not a democracy. Look it up if you think I'm wrong.

I guess you'll be RED when the civil was breaks out!

• Like 1