Visa Refusal

My girlfriend will soon be applying for a visitor visa to the UK. If the application gets refused will they stamp her passport or is it just held on file that she has applied

Thanks in advance

In Kingston Jamaica at the British Embassy they put a small stamp in the passport, I wou

would imagine they do the same everywhere, Scouse?.

My girlfriend will soon be applying for a visitor visa to the UK. If the application gets refused will they stamp her passport or is it just held on file that she has applied

Thanks in advance

They will stamp - happened to my wife and now everytime we visit UK they ask about it - not too much of a problem though

A word of warning.

A friend had a French student visa to study in France for a year. Before leaving for France, she applied for a UK visitor visa at the British Embassy in Bangkok. However, they did not issue her the visa because she was going to be in France for a year. They advised that she should apply at the British Embassy in France during her stay there.

So, while she was in France, she had to travel a long way to the British Embassy in Paris. There, after seeing the date stamp placed by the British Embassy in Bangkok, they refused to process her visa application. They said that they would have to send all her documents back to Bangkok and it would take a few months. She tried to point out to them that the British Embassy in Bangkok had told her to reapply in France. They just would not listen.

She decided to forget it and the UK lost a tourist.

I think all embassies - or at least EU embassies do this.

My husband had a Spanish tourist visa turned down and although it was just a date stamp and letter, when he applied for British settlement he got his passport back with this stamp circled. So they have noticed it and noted it.

Yet to be seen what they will ask about it as not had his interview yet, but it was a genuine visit for both of us to visit a friend living on the Costa del Sol, so hopefully it won't have any effect on UK visa outcome!

• 3 years later...

Well at the French embassy they do stamp the passport after a visa refusal, indicating the date, application reference number and type of visa applied for (student visa in the case I follow).

The reason I bump this thread is to ask if anyone has experience in re-applying immediately after the first refusal: The embassy told the applicant (Thai nationality) to re-apply after 6 months, so what are his chances of success if he re-applies before that? ('cause the term starts next month, so sitting and waiting for half year is not really an option).

Thanks,

Yes, the passport is stamped on the last page. It will say "UK", the date, and be underlined. Whilst the word "refused" is not mentioned within the stamp, it indicates to other embassies/immigration officers that a visa for the UK has been declined.

Scouse.

Just checked the Mrs' Passport and indeed on the last page it is as above with Bangkok and the reference number written in. Did not even know it was there! The Mrs got a SV refusal that was overturned the next day - due to an Embassy admin error. My beef is that she has a black mark on her passport that should not be there. Thinking about now, she was asked to got back to the Embassy a few days later for her Visa to be inserted, you'd have thought they would(could?) of cancelled the stamp on the back page? Is this possible? Just thinking that this might rear its head at a later date etc.

A word of warning.

A friend had a French student visa to study in France for a year. Before leaving for France, she applied for a UK visitor visa at the British Embassy in Bangkok. However, they did not issue her the visa because she was going to be in France for a year. They advised that she should apply at the British Embassy in France during her stay there.

So, while she was in France, she had to travel a long way to the British Embassy in Paris. There, after seeing the date stamp placed by the British Embassy in Bangkok, they refused to process her visa application. They said that they would have to send all her documents back to Bangkok and it would take a few months. She tried to point out to them that the British Embassy in Bangkok had told her to reapply in France. They just would not listen.

She decided to forget it and the UK lost a tourist.

Was that the beginning of the credit crunch ??

Yes, the passport is stamped on the last page. It will say "UK", the date, and be underlined. Whilst the word "refused" is not mentioned within the stamp, it indicates to other embassies/immigration officers that a visa for the UK has been declined.

Scouse.

Just checked the Mrs' Passport and indeed on the last page it is as above with Bangkok and the reference number written in. Did not even know it was there! The Mrs got a SV refusal that was overturned the next day - due to an Embassy admin error. My beef is that she has a black mark on her passport that should not be there. Thinking about now, she was asked to got back to the Embassy a few days later for her Visa to be inserted, you'd have thought they would(could?) of cancelled the stamp on the back page? Is this possible? Just thinking that this might rear its head at a later date etc.

It's not really significant, as any proficient IO will be able to see that the visa issue postdates the refusal and understand what has happened. Any inference of a 'black mark' is expunged by the visa issue, don't worry about it. In the old days the little mark in the back of the passport was almost the only indication to the IO or ECO that something might be amiss. Nowadays the info available via IT renders it almost superfluous.