Warning Chiang Mai

Rosco911

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did paradise go?

not sure Loi Khro was ever 'Paradise' but I hope this is not the start of a further downward trend

PS maybe time to buy a small can of pepper spray? (sold in the night market)

Edited by udonguy

• 2 weeks later...

From a 45 year old lady visiting Chiang Mai, copied from another forum

Last night around 11.30 pm two young men on a motorbike beat me in a soi and took one of my bags. Some thai people took me to the policestation, and there was a young couple that also had their bag stolen in a soi. So be a bit careful about walking alone in the sois late evenings.

Tough times for some leads to dirty deeds, be careful.

Robberies like this happen in every city in the world, even Chiang Mai. Luckily for those of you that never walk around the city late at night you probably don't have to worry much, though I'm not sure why you feel the need to brag about how early you go to bed. For the rest of us that are out late, thank you for the post. It's good to have a reminder from time to time not to get too lax when walking home from the pub.

We all hear horror stories but really Chiang Mai is perfectly safe if you've been here a while and are not bloody stupid.jap.gif

I don't think you can call anywhere 'perfectly safe',......these things can happen in the place you're least expecting it and it doesn't need to be the early hours of the morning. But as you infer it's wise to take precautions and be aware of your surrounding

I've witnessed two gang attacks on unsuspecting locals on the Iron Bridge. The first time involved two young Thai friends walking down the street who were jumped by 6 guys with bats and machetes. The second time a gang pulled a guy off his motorbike and beat him. In the span of a minute 4 others had pulled up on motorbikes and joined in the senseless beating. Local friends say to never go near the Iron bridge after 10pm. Maybe the gang has spreadout?

I've witnessed two gang attacks on unsuspecting locals on the Iron Bridge. The first time involved two young Thai friends walking down the street who were jumped by 6 guys with bats and machetes. The second time a gang pulled a guy off his motorbike and beat him. In the span of a minute 4 others had pulled up on motorbikes and joined in the senseless beating. Local friends say to never go near the Iron bridge after 10pm. Maybe the gang has spreadout?

horrific as it is surely this is not 'senseless beating' but payback? some local dispute?

Local friends say to never go near the Iron bridge after 10pm. Maybe the gang has spreadout?

So, were these beatings that you witnessed, earlier than the 10 pm your friends advised you not to go near the iron bridge....or don't you heed your local friend's warnings?

Edited by uptheos

• 1 month later...

News just today 18 June 12 that Chiang Mai police arrested several Thai-Burmese juveniles gang in connection with several

savage attack after at least a few people were reportedly stabbed in random, unprovoked attack.

post-131333-0-73057000-1340021403_thumb.

If you stay away from Loi Kroh you wont have a problem. I think its funny those who attack Thai people and Thai life spend a lot of time on Loi Kroh road, did you ever think it is the people you know?

If you stay away from Loi Kroh you wont have a problem. I think its funny those who attack Thai people and Thai life spend a lot of time on Loi Kroh road, did you ever think it is the people you know?

Most stupid post of the day, but it is still early morning so, I predict this will be surpassed.
  • Like 2

@ 1:58 in the video it looks like the stabbing victim tried to give the perp a whack.

Too bad the cops didn't look the other way for at least a little bit

Edited by flying

Most stupid post of the day, but it is still early morning so, I predict this will be surpassed.

Do you go to places like that in your country?

Don't really understand the question but I guess you mean areas with a mix of bistros, cafes, hotels, bars and shops? yes.

Witnessed an attempted bag snatch near the Iron Bridge last week, mid afternoon. After the tradgedy in Phuket yesterday it's a reminder to be aware of your surroundings. Unfortunately scum can be anywhere.

quite suprised there is not more incidents,in that area,in the day time considering that money exchange shop is there and is always very busy,im always a bit wary walking out of that shop.

Don't really understand the question but I guess you mean areas with a mix of bistros, cafes, hotels, bars and shops? yes.

How many families do you see there or friendly people out for a stroll. It is the red light district plain and simple and most Thai people (like myself and my wife) will not go to an area like that. We want it shut down with the prostitutes, drugs and crime but tourists and expats keep it running.

• Like 1

How many families do you see there or friendly people out for a stroll. It is the red light district plain and simple and most Thai people (like myself and my wife) will not go to an area like that. We want it shut down with the prostitutes, drugs and crime but tourists and expats keep it running.

Red light district/prostitution ... that's illegal, innit?

River Market, The Dukes, Night Bazaar and major Hotel district .... therefore many small eateries, bars and TOURISTS. Get rid of the tourists, problem solved!

Q: what's the nondescript run-down accommodation building adjacent Ton Payom (Suthep) Market? My wife translated Thai signage advertising room rates by the hour ......?

For what it is worth, it is common knowledge among some locals that there is a notorious gang that has been involved in numerous violent incidents over the past few years.

Their turf seems to be Charoen Prathet Rd, from around the back of Anusarn Market up to Sapan Lek (Iron Bridge).

A friend of mine had the back window of his pickup truck shot out, while he was driving up this street, in an unprovoked attack.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Loi Kroh Rd., except for the fact that Loi Kroh ends just by the Iron Bridge.

I'm not saying that crime doesn't happen on Loi Kroh as well, but the incidents mentioned above about the group pulling people off of bikes and beating them, is almost surely a gang-related affair.

For what it is worth, it is common knowledge among some locals that there is a notorious gang that has been involved in numerous violent incidents over the past few years.

Their turf seems to be Charoen Prathet Rd, from around the back of Anusarn Market up to Sapan Lek (Iron Bridge).

A friend of mine had the back window of his pickup truck shot out, while he was driving up this street, in an unprovoked attack.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Loi Kroh Rd., except for the fact that Loi Kroh ends just by the Iron Bridge.

I'm not saying that crime doesn't happen on Loi Kroh as well, but the incidents mentioned above about the group pulling people off of bikes and beating them, is almost surely a gang-related affair.

Was this gang not the Thai/Burmese lot who were caught last week?