Tsunami Warning Issued For Thai Coastal Provinces Following 8.9-Scale Quake In Indonesia

webfact

Nothing wrong with asking but Forgetting about elevation, I would guess Chang Mai is about 200 Kilometers inland from the closest sea. So, it would need to be a Tsunami larger in size than one that would be able to enter around Phucket on the east and continue through Thailand coming out on the west coast around Nahkon Si Thamarat.

The only way water could hit Chiang Mai from an ocean-going tsunami would be from an undersea landslide somewhere in front of the Nicobar Islands region. Guessing you'd need in the range of a 1-2km wave to even get close.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is great news and it is very good to see that the warning systems plus global communication/networking has worked. One thing that has struck me though, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but there has been a lot of seismic and tectonic activity over the past 2 years, I would go as far to say that it is increasing?

One thing that has struck me though, I don't know if anyone else has noticed this but there has been a lot of seismic and tectonic activity over the past 2 years, I would go as far to say that it is increasing?

what has "increased" is the monitoring of seismic activity, and the ease in which the information is accessible/reported to the general public worldwide. this could result in a perception that activity is increasing, though (and this is me saying without a reference at hand) activity is statistically the same as it has been in recent times.

In all honesty everyone should give themselves a pat on the back, and those in Phuket/Patong etc should raise their glasses tonight. A brilliant evacuation drill in every sense of the word, from Government and Emergency response teams to Individuals taking care of themselves, their families and complete strangers. The information flow on here and many other sites I am sure was outstanding, and clearly everyone was trying to look out for their anonymous buddies on TV. There were also some excellent examples of resourcefulness (Simon ;) ), and the great thing is that nothing of any danger occurred.

I guess the only thing is that we must hope that if this happens again in the near future people don't suffer from complacency. Brilliant to see what happened today.

• Like 2

Good news for all.

Lets hope the general lack of a big event doesn't breed complacency when this happens again.

Because there WILL be another earthquake there. If it was horizontal this time, it could well be vertical next time.

Nothing wrong with asking but Forgetting about elevation, I would guess Chang Mai is about 200 Kilometers inland from the closest sea. So, it would need to be a Tsunami larger in size than one that would be able to enter around Phucket on the east and continue through Thailand coming out on the west coast around Nahkon Si Thamarat.

The only way water could hit Chiang Mai from an ocean-going tsunami would be from an undersea landslide somewhere in front of the Nicobar Islands region. Guessing you'd need in the range of a 1-2km wave to even get close.

No way any terrestrial based event could cause a wave to reach that far inland. Only a meteor strike could cause what scientists call a megatsunami, and it doesn't have to be a very big meteor. Something the size of a small car which would be traveling at about 5 miles per second could easily cause cause a tsunami the size of which we have never seen before. It wouldnt matter much though as the resulting plum of steam and gas would snuff out most life on earth. The Yucatan meteor strike which is believed to have killed off the dinosaurs 65 million years ago is estimated to have caused a 3km high tsunami. The 1 mile wide crater in Arizona was caused by a meteor estimated to be the size of a school bus. That was "only" 50,000 years ago. A blink of an eye in celestial terms.

Glad everything seems to have worked out for the best. People were informed but no tsunami occurred. Best case scenario.

I haven't seen any posts from people that heard the warning towers in and around Phuket sound. Did they?

I'm just back from Phuket Airport.

The airport re-opened at about 9.00pm, but many (most?) flights are cancelled for tonight. I did not see any arriving flights tonight, but early morning arriving flights tomorrow seemed to be generally on time. Air Asia was advising passengers that there are no departing flights tonight and those that depart tomorrow are already full!

The airport is reasonably quiet now, but from checking with my/other hotels in this area there are no available rooms - passengers will have to find accommodation further away from the airport.

Simon

• Like 1

Thank you TV for the excellent service today!

Does anyone know what is the definition of high ground (how high above sea level is minimum) and how far inland these things can go?

This earthquake is about 50% of 2004 and of a different type. The limits of 2004 should see you safe in all eventualities.

while 50% is overstating i suspect it was a lesser quake in Richter terms where magnitudes increase logarithmically, meaning the energy increases 10 times for each magnitude number.

the difference between 1-2 is negligible, but from 8 to 9 is vast. This is an 8.5 compared to what i believe was a 9.1 Also as has been said the mechanics differ in our favour this time.

i only quoted a scientist from Southampton university on BBC world news. I personally have no idea of the mechanics of the Richter scale.

from wiki

9.2 950 megatons 4.0 EJ 0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Anchorage earthquake (Alaska, USA), 1964

0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Sumatra-Andaman earthquake and tsunami (Indonesia), 2004 8.5 85 megatons 360 PJ 0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Sumatra earthquake (Indonesia), 2007 8.6 - - 0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Sumatra earthquake (Indonesia), 2012 8.7 170 megatons 710 PJ 0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Sumatra earthquake (Indonesia), 2005

All i know htere is a huge difference 8.7 = 170 mega tons and 9.2 (2004) = 950 megatons and a vertical shift rather than horizontal shift.

I am thankful i have never been in a quake and will be thankful if i am never in one or its aftermath.

Thank you TV for the excellent service today!

Does anyone know what is the definition of high ground (how high above sea level is minimum) and how far inland these things can go?

This earthquake is about 50% of 2004 and of a different type. The limits of 2004 should see you safe in all eventualities.

while 50% is overstating i suspect it was a lesser quake in Richter terms where magnitudes increase logarithmically, meaning the energy increases 10 times for each magnitude number.

the difference between 1-2 is negligible, but from 8 to 9 is vast. This is an 8.5 compared to what i believe was a 9.1 Also as has been said the mechanics differ in our favour this time.

i only quoted a scientist from Southampton university on BBC world news. I personally have no idea of the mechanics of the Richter scale.

from wiki

9.2 950 megatons 4.0 EJ 0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Anchorage earthquake (Alaska, USA), 1964

0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Sumatra-Andaman earthquake and tsunami (Indonesia), 2004 8.5 85 megatons 360 PJ 0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Sumatra earthquake (Indonesia), 2007 8.6 - - 0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Sumatra earthquake (Indonesia), 2012 8.7 170 megatons 710 PJ 0b19a9bb41011323a0e9d562ef227e36.png Sumatra earthquake (Indonesia), 2005

All i know htere is a huge difference 8.7 = 170 mega tons and 9.2 (2004) = 950 megatons and a vertical shift rather than horizontal shift.

I am thankful i have never been in a quake and will be thankful if i am never in one or its aftermath.

Yes the Richter scale is not understood by most. It's a base-10 logarithmic scale. IE an 8.0 is 10 times more powerful than a 7.0, a 9.0 is 10 times more powerful than an 8.0 etc.

By all means, I think the folks on the Andaman side should be aware of the risks of tsunami. That said, 1/2 km away from the beach at sea level was safe in 2004. Maybe you got your feet wet but not more than that. You were fairly safe on the 2nd floor of a beach hotel. Climbing to the top of the mountain miles away from the ocean is not necessary and only causes panic and hardship. People should know what is reasonable precautions during a tsunami, IMHO. Also, the water pulled back over a few minutes, not hours.

I have a question for people living in the Nai Yang area. Did you hear the tsunami warning siren? I was on the hill behind the airport, and about 2km away from the beach - and I heard nothing

Simon

I was in my restaurant in the main road to Airport near 7/11 and heard tsunami warning siren very clear. But it sounded only for a short time, as it should, when authorities not shure about tsunami. My wife in Baan Rungrawee hasn't heard it.

But when it sound continiously, same when they have tsunami drills, it is defenately can be heard in my village, already checked this in the last year drill.

Hint for those who don't know: if tsunami warning sounded continiously for some time - it is a drill, or it is defenately a tsunami. You'll have only 15 minutes to go into the safe place. This is what some airport staff has told me this evening, when they come to relax in my place after today's stress.

from wiki

Yes the Richter scale is not understood by most. It's a base-10 logarithmic scale. IE an 8.0 is 10 times more powerful than a 7.0, a 9.0 is 10 times more powerful than an 8.0 etc.

It also not accurate to believe that a 7.0 gives 10x a shake or jolt as a 6.0 because it is almost always a combination of it being a stronger jolting and lasting longer. The over all energy released maybe 10x stronger from a 6 to a 7 but it is not like receiving a 10x stronger punch from Mike Tyson but usually something more along the lines of maybe receiving 3 punches that are 3.3x as strong. Not sure there is any definition for length of a particular size quake but having lived in earthquake country much of my life, we often had a good idea of how big they were by how long they lasted, even if we were not near the epicenter ... which is also very deceiving in terms of where the force will be greatest on the service because it is not like a bomb where you will see less and less damage as you go away from the impact point. Miles away from the epicenter can have much great shaking than areas much closer.

No scientist here and the above numbers are all Greek to me but just speaking from experience.

Edited by Nisa

By all means, I think the folks on the Andaman side should be aware of the risks of tsunami. That said, 1/2 km away from the beach at sea level was safe in 2004. Maybe you got your feet wet but not more than that. You were fairly safe on the 2nd floor of a beach hotel. Climbing to the top of the mountain miles away from the ocean is not necessary and only causes panic and hardship. People should know what is reasonable precautions during a tsunami, IMHO. Also, the water pulled back over a few minutes, not hours.

That was in 2004. Apply your thinking to the Japanese Tsunami last year. The truth is you have no idea how big or small it will be. If your criteria were applied to the Japanese Tsunami you would be dead, those on the mountain several miles away would be safe. The water going back today over hours was tidal, if you see it rush back in a minute or so then you are too late to get out of the area. The great thing today with the warning systems now in place is that there were a couple of hours to get to a safe distance, the poor buggers in 2004 had no such warning. Your PhD in hindsight is of no use in this or any future Tsunami scenario. If you value the lives of yourself and your family, then you leg it.

• Like 2

Last night, after the tsunami warning was lifted, an American lady telephoned me to try to find hotel accommodation near to the airport. I was able to offer her one room.

'What floor is it on?' she asked

'Ground floor - it's a single storey hotel' I replied

'No way - I want a room on at least the 10th floor!'

'It's on a hill - and it's 2km from the sea' I retorted

... She still took a taxi back to Patong to book a room in a skyscraper hotel :)

Simon

That was in 2004. Apply your thinking to the Japanese Tsunami last year. The truth is you have no idea how big or small it will be. If your criteria were applied to the Japanese Tsunami you would be dead, those on the mountain several miles away would be safe. The water going back today over hours was tidal, if you see it rush back in a minute or so then you are too late to get out of the area. The great thing today with the warning systems now in place is that there were a couple of hours to get to a safe distance, the poor buggers in 2004 had no such warning. Your PhD in hindsight is of no use in this or any future Tsunami scenario. If you value the lives of yourself and your family, then you leg it.

Me and a few Thais stayed at our beach resort in krabi throghout the whole episode had the Internet on monitoring surrounding areas and the car was ready to go if needed , we could have been away from the beach to high ground within 2 minutes so this is my question if the water suddenly started to receed how long before the first wave would hit land.

P.s big thanks to tv for keeping us up to date

I'm somewhat surprised there was no looting or at least nothing was reported yet.

And I never heard of any during the 2004 Tsunami either, in fact, it was only after the recent floods in Bangkok had existed for some weeks that the very occaisional case of looting made it into the media!

I'm somewhat surprised there was no looting or at least nothing was reported yet.

And I never heard of any during the 2004 Tsunami either, in fact, it was only after the recent floods in Bangkok had existed for some weeks that the very occaisional case of looting made it into the media!

Well, 2004 was a different scenario. Back then it happened (tsunami) so not much of people's posessions were left after it. This time everyone left lightly leaving everything behind as the warning was issued. I thought there would be some certain individuals who in spite of risking getting caught in Tsunami, might have stayed behind to get what they wanted.

You're right about the floods though, there were some cases of looting but not a lot.

No way any terrestrial based event could cause a wave to reach that far inland. Only a meteor strike could cause what scientists call a megatsunami, and it doesn't have to be a very big meteor. Something the size of a small car which would be traveling at about 5 miles per second could easily cause cause a tsunami the size of which we have never seen before. It wouldnt matter much though as the resulting plum of steam and gas would snuff out most life on earth. The Yucatan meteor strike which is believed to have killed off the dinosaurs 65 million years ago is estimated to have caused a 3km high tsunami. The 1 mile wide crater in Arizona was caused by a meteor estimated to be the size of a school bus. That was "only" 50,000 years ago. A blink of an eye in celestial terms.

Glad everything seems to have worked out for the best. People were informed but no tsunami occurred. Best case scenario.

I haven't seen any posts from people that heard the warning towers in and around Phuket sound. Did they?

Yep, meteor or astroid only thing that could possibly do that and those could easily get water that far inland.

Me and a few Thais stayed at our beach resort in krabi throghout the whole episode had the Internet on monitoring surrounding areas and the car was ready to go if needed , we could have been away from the beach to high ground within 2 minutes so this is my question if the water suddenly started to receed how long before the first wave would hit land.

P.s big thanks to tv for keeping us up to date

While waiting for a plane in Puket in 2004, a German tourist said, once he realised what was happening, he only had 90 seconds before landfall of the first wave. So, no, you have very little time to get out of there. Both he and his wife were hit by waves, where she sustained damage to her legs. Luckily I was in my room at the time, but 15 mins later I would have been in a car along driving along Patong beach.