Tsunami Warning Issued For Thai Coastal Provinces Following 8.9-Scale Quake In Indonesia

webfact

Here is a site with collection of amateur videos from 2004 tsunami and the recent Japanese tsunami.

http://www.asiantsunamivideos.com/

I wouldn't feel so safe staying in my hotel room on a 2nd floor 1/2 km away from the beach, keeping in mind that some places in 2004 tsunami were hit with up to 30m (~100 ft) high waves. ou never know what you gonna get and it may be too late when you realized you F###ed up.

Edited by metisdead
Incorrect photo removed.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

By all means, I think the folks on the Andaman side should be aware of the risks of tsunami. That said, 1/2 km away from the beach at sea level was safe in 2004. Maybe you got your feet wet but not more than that. You were fairly safe on the 2nd floor of a beach hotel. Climbing to the top of the mountain miles away from the ocean is not necessary and only causes panic and hardship. People should know what is reasonable precautions during a tsunami, IMHO. Also, the water pulled back over a few minutes, not hours.
That was in 2004. Apply your thinking to the Japanese Tsunami last year. The truth is you have no idea how big or small it will be. If your criteria were applied to the Japanese Tsunami you would be dead, those on the mountain several miles away would be safe. The water going back today over hours was tidal, if you see it rush back in a minute or so then you are too late to get out of the area. The great thing today with the warning systems now in place is that there were a couple of hours to get to a safe distance, the poor buggers in 2004 had no such warning. Your PhD in hindsight is of no use in this or any future Tsunami scenario. If you value the lives of yourself and your family, then you leg it.
Me and a few Thais stayed at our beach resort in krabi throghout the whole episode had the Internet on monitoring surrounding areas and the car was ready to go if needed , we could have been away from the beach to high ground within 2 minutes so this is my question if the water suddenly started to receed how long before the first wave would hit land. P.s big thanks to tv for keeping us up to date

To be honest what you did was the total height of folly. Your risk management assessment is out the window. For a bit of bravado and to save inconvenience you risked everything. You would get a 1 to 2 min warning depending how big the wave was going to be. So, as you rushed to the car, a dropped key, a failure to start, a panicked driver in front of you and it could have been game over. All well and good for you and a few Thai blokes, but please don't do it if you ever have family or people depending on you for their safety. The warning system has never been so good, 2 hours notice was given yesterday of the landfall of a wave on Phuket and Krabi. As it was it was very small, but it did arrive and you had no idea if it would be 10 cm or 10 meters. We all make our own choices, but two hours notice still means you can still have a load of beers and get to high ground before the arrival time of the wave. Each to their own.

By all means, I think the folks on the Andaman side should be aware of the risks of tsunami. That said, 1/2 km away from the beach at sea level was safe in 2004. Maybe you got your feet wet but not more than that. You were fairly safe on the 2nd floor of a beach hotel. Climbing to the top of the mountain miles away from the ocean is not necessary and only causes panic and hardship. People should know what is reasonable precautions during a tsunami, IMHO. Also, the water pulled back over a few minutes, not hours.

That was in 2004. Apply your thinking to the Japanese Tsunami last year. The truth is you have no idea how big or small it will be. If your criteria were applied to the Japanese Tsunami you would be dead, those on the mountain several miles away would be safe. The water going back today over hours was tidal, if you see it rush back in a minute or so then you are too late to get out of the area. The great thing today with the warning systems now in place is that there were a couple of hours to get to a safe distance, the poor buggers in 2004 had no such warning. Your PhD in hindsight is of no use in this or any future Tsunami scenario. If you value the lives of yourself and your family, then you leg it.

Granted, you never know how big or small it can be. However, I was comparing yesterday to the 2004 Thailand tsunami about which we already know that it originated roughly in the same spot off Sumatra and was the biggest in recorded Thai history. Those events can be used for future risk assessment and to plan appropriate safety precautions