Songkran At A Wat

householder

Hi all,

Been pretty quiet around here for a while! I've now finished up my affairs back in the UK.

I'm still intending to go forth, but it's going to be at the end of this year/early next. At the moment the plan is an Ajahn Chah monastery in England, but that may change as I travel around Thailand and Myanmar this year. So aside from some business in Myanmar for several months from June, I'm a dhamma bum for a while!

I'm currently in Ko Tao after a very busy couple of weeks in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. I've visited Wat Ko Tao (small place and with only 3 monks) and offered dana and had a couple of questions about Songkran and Buddha Day.

After I've offered dana tomorrow, should I basically spend most of the day around the Wat observing proceedings? That would suit me fine as being dumped on with untreated water in Mae Haad doesn't appeal in the slightest.

Will there be a lot going on, or would that more likely be on Buddha Day on Saturday?

Anything in particular I should bring to offer or respectfully participate in the events of those two days?

How do the days generally unfold in Wats? I appreciate each Wat and abbot will do things a little differently.

Thanks in advance!

Metta,

householder

There will probably be s unique set of rituals on each day of the three-day Songkran festival, worth hanging out for if that sort of thing interests you.

BTW technically that spot is not a wat, which requires a quorum of five or more resident monks. The sign there reads Samnak Song Ko Tao, more or less "Ko Tao Monastic Centre."

Householder, I can't find a way to quote your message, but I'll respond as best as I can.

You can stay wherever you want, though that's great you want to stay in the Wat. However, after dana is made you're good already ... and remember that it doesn't take a temple to necessarily make dana.

I can't speak for other temples, but today was Friday; at my current temple there were the normal activities: laypeople come and offer food, monks pour water over the Buddha images, laypeople follow; laypeople pour water on the monks hands from most senior to junior, then all aviici breaks lose. I doubt there'll be anything tomorrow, but konlawat คนละวัด

Though I didn't attend this year, I did hear a few friendly screams from the water outside the wat complex.

The Patimokkha should be recited tomorrow. I've never seen any laypeople present at its recitation, though I have seen nuns there.

Happy Songkran!