Yingluck To Miss Charter Debate For China, Japan

webfact

Yingluck to miss charter debate for China, Japan

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will miss the parliamentary meeting on Constitution amendment shortly after the long Songkran holiday in favour of a trip to China and Japan from April 17-22.

Thailand and China will sign a five-year agreement on strategic cooperation during Yingluck's visit to Beijing from April 17-20, a government statement said yesterday.

At the invitation of Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao, Yingluck's visit is aimed at strengthening the strategic partnership plan between the two countries.

Projects on the agenda will include Thailand's planned high-speed train link as well as water management and flood prevention.

Besides the strategic cooperation plan, the two countries are also set to sign pacts for cooperation on trade and education, according to the Thai government.

Accompanying Yingluck will be private-sector representatives from firms including CP Group, Mitr Phol, Saha Farm, Sor Khon Khaen, PTT, Banpu and Italian-Thai.

Yingluck will then visit Japan from April 20-22 for the Japan-Mekong summit. This leg of her trip will also include a visit to the One Tambon One Product (Otop) outlet in southern Japan's Kumamoto prefecture.

At the Japan-Mekong summit, leaders from Japan, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam will discuss and adopt a three-year plan of cooperation for 2013 to 2015.

In Yingluck's absence, Parliament is set to debate the charter amendment on April 18-19. It will be the second time Yingluck has skipped such an important parliamentary session. Early this month she missed a parliamentary debate on the reconciliation plan in favour of attending the Asean summit in Cambodia.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-13

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"In Yingluck's absence, Parliament is set to debate the charter amendment on April 18-19. It will be the second time Yingluck has skipped such an important parliamentary session. Early this month she missed a parliamentary debate on the reconciliation plan in favour of attending the Asean summit in Cambodia"

Brilliant politics......... It really 'pisses off' this Opposition, that they can't lay a glove on her.......... The above statement suggesting wrongdoing, is obviously Opposition agenda, but there is no need for her to be there, given the clear track both these issues are on. There will not be serious departures from the expedited groove they are on. Just an opportunity for MP's to vent, with one side self-servingly and predictably screaming "hurry-up and haste", with the other side denying same and moving things along as they should be. Ms. Y. also doesn't need to be there to counter over-and-over, the Oppositions attempt to convince the unheeding public with its tiresome anti-Thaksin paranoid agenda with respect to charter amendments......Ho-hum.

Yingluck 'the absent PM' . Her absence acknowledges her inherent weakness in her skills to successfully tackle to Democrats head on. This reminds me of those truck / van drivers that have an accident and then run away so they don't have to face the music.

That's how she keeps so trim & slender-looking, despite her lavish banqueting. Its the constant running-away from everything that keeps her in shape. She should enter the London Olympics & she might as well since she isn't doing anything meaningful back home.

I remember pre-"election" when she was avoiding almost all international TV-interviews regarding her campaign and policies, & most spectacularly when the BBC camera team confronted her & asked for a brief interview she not only ducked out of the way but appeared to do an impressive "commando roll" to the safety of her entourage,

On the one hand, Ms. Y. opponents highlight her non-Prime Ministership quoting her Thaksin links, on the other hand the decry the absence of the Prime Minister from venues where the Opposition can 'have a go' at her. Me thinks they protest too much. It is an enduring testament to her political skills that throughout her electoral campaign and prime Ministership, that Mr. Abhisit has been 'grasping at air'............. Poor baby.

Edited by CalgaryII

The responsibility for the safe passage of this important piece of policy lies directly at the feet of Yingluck. She must be in Parliament. If she is unable to be there, then passage should be delayed by a few days to allow her to go to this summit and return to preside over the debate. Or she should send Chalerm or a deputy to the summit to represent Thailand and she stays.

Yingluck 'the absent PM' . Her absence acknowledges her inherent weakness in her skills to successfully tackle to Democrats head on. This reminds me of those truck / van drivers that have an accident and then run away so they don't have to face the music.

Why does she have to be in the House for the debate? What would she say that cannot be said by other ministers?

Do you not think that she would be open to an accusation of a conflict of interest should the debate turn to references to Mr. Thaksin?

It is customary for board members, judges and others to recuse themselves from discussions when allegations of conflict of interest could arise.

The responsibility for the safe passage of this important piece of policy lies directly at the feet of Yingluck. She must be in Parliament. If she is unable to be there, then passage should be delayed by a few days to allow her to go to this summit and return to preside over the debate. Or she should send Chalerm or a deputy to the summit to represent Thailand and she stays.

What would she say that cannot be said by other ministers?

Well you hit the nail on the head there. She's never in Parliament because she has absolutely nothing to say worth hearing or that contains content.

That is the reality of how deeply inept she is!

However, even if she can't do her job with any proficiency she should still attend. If anybody else doesn't attend work the upshot is that they get fired!

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

Why does she have to be in the House for the debate? What would she say that cannot be said by other ministers?

Do you not think that she would be open to an accusation of a conflict of interest should the debate turn to references to Mr. Thaksin?

It is customary for board members, judges and others to recuse themselves from discussions when allegations of conflict of interest could arise.

Unfortunately she was elected prime minister on the entire basis of conflict of interest. Namely this abstract interpretation of 'reconciliation' which she seems to constantly make reference to. As she was elected on that platform don't we deserve to see her debate and tackle her critics head on, on this central issue??

She needs to be a leader prove to the public she is not swayed by any conflict of interest and that she wants to and does act in the national interest by listening to and incorporating some of the views of her opponents (who represent a large slice of the population and are feeling increasingly isolated and frustrated), so national reconciliation can be achieved. This was one of the central themes of her election platform, debate it, defend it and try to win over her doubters. Her absence only weakens PTP and strengthens the dems.

Sometimes GK it not what is said, but who says it and how it is said. That is why the Prime Minister needs to say it and not someone beneath her. This debate focuses on one of her central electoral promises.

• Like 1

The conflict of interest is exactly the reason she should not miss any important reconciliation debate! She kind of acknowledges the fact that she is a proxy!

Prioritity?

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will miss the parliamentary meeting on Constitution amendment" - I believe she has deputies?

Priority?

"Thailand and China will sign a five-year agreement on strategic cooperation during Yingluck's visit to Beijing from April 17-20, a government statement said yesterday."

I think she has got these right?

But of course TV advisers to the gov and country as a whole may beg to differ.

As expected.

Dear G'kid, this seems utter, but really utter BS. The Charter Debat is important to facilitate a (un)likely move to possibly continue the start of an approach towards reconciliation (without further dialogue of course). The PM needs to be there if this is important enough to continue parliamentary session for a few weeks instead of closing down for summer.

The debate is about the constitution amendment process. Why would that have anything to do with k. Thaksin. Apart from the fact that the opposition was expressly forbidden to mention k. Thaksin during the review of the (then new) government policies. Surely the same applies now?

The PM's job is 24/7/366 (this year that is) someone wrote. If she really needs to travel someone can text her progress, questions, results at any time, I'm sure.

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Prioritity?

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will miss the parliamentary meeting on Constitution amendment" - I believe she has deputies?

Priority?

"Thailand and China will sign a five-year agreement on strategic cooperation during Yingluck's visit to Beijing from April 17-20, a government statement said yesterday."

I think she has got these right?

But of course TV advisers to the gov and country as a whole may beg to differ.

Amendment of a country's Constitution is and should be of top priority to any PM! Maybe you beg to differ.

I notice that my PM is visiting India, even though his party is under increasing pressure at home. I think he is right, the economy and trade deals are far more important than constitutions. What is the use of a constitution if you are broke? Perhaps a Greek would give you a two word answer.

I notice that my PM is visiting India, even though his party is under increasing pressure at home. I think he is right, the economy and trade deals are far more important than constitutions. What is the use of a constitution if you are broke? Perhaps a Greek would give you a two word answer.

You can't possibly be serious.

What I find many times more frustrating than Thai politics are TV members, allegedly worldly wise and educated who insist on making pathetic obsequious apologies for a clearly inept holder of a prime Government position. I am sure Yingluck herself would laugh at some of the excuses made by some on here on her behalf. It is nauseating.

Brilliant post!!clap2.gif

To compare the British prime minister's actions to the Thai proxy is a tall order.

I cannot imagine a situation in Britain where a total novice is elected to parliament for the first time and becomes PM.Perhaps in the past when factions ruled, Pitt the younger, but never now.

Edited by buhi

"In Yingluck's absence, Parliament is set to debate the charter amendment on April 18-19. It will be the second time Yingluck has skipped such an important parliamentary session. Early this month she missed a parliamentary debate on the reconciliation plan in favour of attending the Asean summit in Cambodia"

Brilliant politics......... It really 'pisses off' this Opposition, that they can't lay a glove on her.......... The above statement suggesting wrongdoing, is obviously Opposition agenda, but there is no need for her to be there, given the clear track both these issues are on. There will not be serious departures from the expedited groove they are on. Just an opportunity for MP's to vent, with one side self-servingly and predictably screaming "hurry-up and haste", with the other side denying same and moving things along as they should be. Ms. Y. also doesn't need to be there to counter over-and-over, the Oppositions attempt to convince the unheeding public with its tiresome anti-Thaksin paranoid agenda with respect to charter amendments......Ho-hum.

She is just a scared little parrot, running away because she isen´t intellegen´t enough take a debate in Parlament.

Just curious, but did our dear PM ever activily take part in a debate in parliament ? I know it's not even a year yet that the government was installed, may be I'm just a wee bit impatient to she her perform there ?

I don´t think she have. She knows she woulden´t survive five minuts in there.

To her the Parlament must be the scariest place ever, allmost like hell.

Pitt, at the age of 24, became Great Britain's youngest Prime Minister ever and was ridiculed for his youth. A popular ditty commented that it was "a sight to make all nations stand and stare: a kingdom trusted to a schoolboy's care". Many saw it simply as a stop-gap appointment until some more senior statesman took on the role. However, although it was widely predicted that the new "mince-pie administration" would not last out the Christmas season, it survived for seventeen years.[24]

Hope for Yingluck from the past!giggle.gif

post-58-0-26913500-1334303761_thumb.jpg

Just curious, but did our dear PM ever activily take part in a debate in parliament ? I know it's not even a year yet that the government was installed, may be I'm just a wee bit impatient to she her perform there ?

I am trying to imagine an actual debate in Parliament (like they have in England) where the PM has to stand there, articulate her position, and take on the opposition single-handedly with her own wit, intellect, and oratorical skills (sure... in Thai) ... and not relying on a bunch of goons and spokespeople pushing cameras away and deflecting unwanted questions with cutesy smiles.

• Like 2

I am trying to imagine an actual debate in Parliament (like they have in England) where the PM has to stand there, articulate her position, and take on the opposition single-handedly with her own wit, intellect, and oratorical skills (sure... in Thai) ... and not relying on a bunch of goons and spokespeople pushing cameras away and deflecting unwanted questions with cutesy smiles.

Won´t happen.

So we could -- for once -- get an on-the-record understanding of her position on... well... anything. It's always left to spokespeople and other ministers and DPMs. And then the contradictions start and no one can figure out who said what on whose behalf. Maybe if she could tell everyone to <deleted> and speak clearly what her position is, she might instill some confidence and transparency.

On the one hand, Ms. Y. opponents highlight her non-Prime Ministership quoting her Thaksin links, on the other hand the decry the absence of the Prime Minister from venues where the Opposition can 'have a go' at her. Me thinks they protest too much. It is an enduring testament to her political skills that throughout her electoral campaign and prime Ministership, that Mr. Abhisit has been 'grasping at air'............. Poor baby.

Umm... Calgaryll... I think you have a bunch of oxymoron all over your face.