Do You Need An Existing 1 Year Visa To Apply For A 'Marriage Visa'?

For example if you are on a 30 day tourist visa and you get hitched can you apply for a one year marriage visa straight off the bat? This is assuming you also have the 400k in the bank etc.

I ask as I know that a 'marriage visa' is actually a 1 year extension to your current non 'o' or non 'b' but don't know where you stand if you do not have this.

Thanks.

Sometimes possible, if you meet the qualification (without the need of seasoning the money, having the money in the bank wil be enough) However, you might need to do it in Bangkok.

What will happen is that you first convert to a non-immigrant visa for 2,000 baht and then after 60 days or so you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage for 1,900 baht at your local immirgation office. Both require the normal paperwork for an extension of stay.

Sometimes possible, if you meet the qualification (without the need of seasoning the money, having the money in the bank wil be enough) However, you might need to do it in Bangkok.

What will happen is that you first convert to a non-immigrant visa for 2,000 baht and then after 60 days or so you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage for 1,900 baht at your local immirgation office. Both require the normal paperwork for an extension of stay.

Ok thanks for that. Bkk won't be a problem. I assume you mean at Chaeng Wattana.

Yes but you normally need about 15 days remaining on current permitted to stay - so if not enough time you can either enter again or go to a Consulate to obtain the non immigrant O visa using marriage certificate/spouse ID card and home register copies.

Yes but you normally need about 15 days remaining on current permitted to stay - so if not enough time you can either enter again or go to a Consulate to obtain the non immigrant O visa using marriage certificate/spouse ID card and home register copies.

Will I definitely need to show the 400k in the bank?

Or 40k of income a Month (Statement issued by your Embassy)

Edit: //

It has to be 400,000 Baht in the bank OR 40,000 Baht a month.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

(Thanks Lite Beer)

Edited by MJCM

Or 40k of income a Month (Statement issued by your Embassy)

Edit: //

It has to be 400,000 Baht in the bank OR 40,000 Baht a month.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

(Thanks Lite Beer)

Well I'm definitely an alien, so I qualify for that at least.

Things you will need:

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Registry entry.

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

Things you will need:

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

Marriage Certificate

Marriage Registry entry.

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

All pretty straightforward then.

It is, but extensions are only issued after approval by a committee, requiring you to come back after 30 days. Also every time the wife has to be interviewed. It is straight forward, but requires a lot of work.

Erh, I was being sarcastic. British humour you see.

Requires a lot of work?? Why should it? If i'm married and have required funds in my account is shouldn't be a problem. I've never heard of wifes being interviewd before? I appreciate your help but I think you are making it sound more diffulcult than it actually is.

Do you think it will be easier for me to try to get another 1 year visa, then get a marriage extension on that further down the line? Problem is it's diffulcult to get 1 year visas now, even back in the UK.

Wives are always part of the extension of stay for Thai wife process and they are actively questioned on first application and often every time to some extent. They must appear each time with normal ID and home register documents. There is also often a home interview or at the least of neighbors. Requirement for photos. A second visit is always required to actually obtain the extension of stay. Hard? Not too; but harder than retirement if you qualify for that.

^^ Mario2008 is correct.

It's a lot of work to get an extension based on Marriage, the first time it even requires to bring a witness along, that can verify that the both of you are genuinely married.

And the paper work, is in total about 2-3" thick.

Edited by MJCM

Requires a lot of work?? Why should it? If i'm married and have required funds in my account is shouldn't be a problem. I've never heard of wifes being interviewd before? I appreciate your help but I think you are making it sound more diffulcult than it actually is.

Do you think it will be easier for me to try to get another 1 year visa, then get a marriage extension on that further down the line? Problem is it's diffulcult to get 1 year visas now, even back in the UK.

If your paper work is correct then you will get the one year Extension of Permission to Stay on the grounds of a having a Thai Spouse, but you and your wife have to be interviewed (basic questions about family, home, etc) when you apply.

Since one of the conditions for this type of extension that will be checked is that your marriage is 'De Jure and De Facto' (i.e. not only is the marriage legal and current, but that you actually live together in a relationship).

This all seems like a major headache to be honest.

We have 2 children together, so I assume this will help our 'case'

It sure will, I am just happily married and no kids and I got it also.

Good Luck

Ps: Pattaya has the requirement for first time applicants to also have a witness present that gets interviewed by the immigration Official. For subsequent visits this isn't necessary. (I have no idea if this is also a requirement in other Immigration Offices)

This all seems like a major headache to be honest.

We have 2 children together, so I assume this will help our 'case'

It wont do it any harm but the same requirements are still needed.

It really is not difficult. Plenty do it every year.

It is, but extensions are only issued after approval by a committee, requiring you to come back after 30 days. Also every time the wife has to be interviewed. It is straight forward, but requires a lot of work.

In case you do go for another 1 year it is no problem at all, I got a 1 year non-O based on marriage last month from Hull. Only need copies of marriage certificate and wife's ID/passport.

In case you do go for another 1 year it is no problem at all, I got a 1 year non-O based on marriage last month from Hull. Only need copies of marriage certificate and wife's ID/passport.

Yes, I am already aware of that.

It really is not as difficult as it sounds, but yes Mario was correct.

Back in the days when I first applied it took eight months of monthly visits to Immigration for a decision.

It is a lot simpler than it once was.

Wow, I guess the young bucks have much to be thankful for paving the way. I understand that the 2nd and subequent extensions are much more straight-forward, requiring much simplier paperwork and no witnesses/wife presence?

There was a small part of me that wants to explore the possibility of doing extensions vs Visa. But I suppose that they intentionally do it this way to prevent abuse of the extension system? Ultimately it causes a burden on people who want to do it legitly and the illegitimate process is still done by those who want it simple and can pay more.

What types of questions do they ask during the interview?

We went in person

No one visited our house,we did provide map and photos

No one came as witness

They did ask details religion of my grandfather who died in 1921 !

Was this the first time?

• Like 1