Shopping / Supermarket Prices In Pattaya

sunseaker

I recently purchased toiletries in Wattsons Tukom, a few days later I saw the same items in Tesco lotus 35-40% cheaper, the problem is that I hate shopping at Tesco due to long checkout lines (they never put enough cashiers on duty) and the shop is too big to get what you need quickly

Foodland is friendly and professional but slightly pricey?, Tops and Friendship unfriendly staff, Service at Villa has gone down hill, they used to be really friendly but you wont find the land of smiles at villa any more, the cashier wont even look at you let alone speak and will not stop talking to her buddy on the next counter. I remember when they openned they were so friendly and prof.

So what is the best super market for prices and service? has anyone ever done price comparisons between Foodland and Friendship?

Service from a cashier ?? They work for peanuts there, can't expect too much, just hope to get through as quick as possible. My family shops at ex-carrefour, now bigC extra, because it holds most of the stuff we need, sometimes lotus on north road (nua) as well. Specialties from foodland, alcohol from best, some more exotic stuff such some spices from avenue. Day to day small stuff from local market or 7-11.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

How very true. Villa in particular really has gone down.

I noticed that too. I was rather offended by a cashier there that gossiped her way through the checkout job, never met my eye, didn't greet me even though I did to her, etc. I don't really need a wai, but that really leaves a bad taste. That said, I'll shop there if I need stuff and it's convenient. Not there to flirt with the cashiers ...

Honestly, that kind of bad treatment kind of makes me want to be rude back. How can you be rude to a cashier that doesn't care?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Service from a cashier ?? They work for peanuts there, can't expect too much, just hope to get through as quick as possible. My family shops at ex-carrefour, now bigC extra, because it holds most of the stuff we need, sometimes lotus on north road (nua) as well. Specialties from foodland, alcohol from best, some more exotic stuff such some spices from avenue. Day to day small stuff from local market or 7-11.

nobody forces that cashier to work there...

I noticed that too. I was rather offended by a cashier there that gossiped her way through the checkout job, never met my eye, didn't greet me even though I did to her, etc. I don't really need a wai, but that really leaves a bad taste. That said, I'll shop there if I need stuff and it's convenient. Not there to flirt with the cashiers ...

Honestly, that kind of bad treatment kind of makes me want to be rude back. How can you be rude to a cashier that doesn't care?

If I'm shopping alone, I just stand there looking at their face until they are forced to look at me, then I give a big smile and exaggerated "thankyou" - to emphasise my good manners.

If I'm with my wife, I just stand back and put my fingers in my ears...

• Like 2

You are not the first to recommend Best for alcohol prices, I will have to check it out and do a comparison with Friendship.

The whiskey showroom called "supermit" on left side 50 meters before foodland is cheap for spirits. probably the cheapest, they have some really hard to find spirits in there such as 220.000 baht cognac (hennessy richard cognac) worth a visit !

If I'm shopping alone, I just stand there looking at their face until they are forced to look at me, then I give a big smile and exaggerated "thankyou" - to emphasise my good manners.

If I'm with my wife, I just stand back and put my fingers in my ears...

1.pick a number

2.square it

3.divide it by the original number

4. substract the original number

The result is amount of fuc_ks the cashier gives about your good manners.

• Like 1

FOODMART in Jomtien is a TOTAL RIPOFF

Box of cereal 285 baht same one in Friendhship 225 and in Villa 217 !

Another item in Foodmart 50 baht same one in Friendhship 40 and in Villa 37 !

it badly needs 7/11 in the same square. Like instead of that useless beach front real estate agency.

Edited by Gik

If presentation, grinning cashiers and such stuff, that I myself consider secondary, are more of importance I might recommend the food shop at the basement floor of Central.

Pricey, but it's got stuff like imported strawberries and the AC is turned all the way to resemble a freezer in an iglu, of importance to those who never go outside without at least the full business suit on. Of course the whole shop 'till you drop - experience from hell is available on the floors above, in case someone should be struck by shopping insanity on the spot.

Service from a cashier ?? They work for peanuts there, can't expect too much, just hope to get through as quick as possible.

They took the job knowing their duties regardless of compensation.

Yes they did. The duties being to scan the merchandice barcodes, put them in a bag, ask for a bonus card and handle the actual payment, to take the bigC as an example.

Always worked ok for me, not too bad for people making around 250usd/month. Besides, I've found the cheesy "land of smiles"-grin a bit too much from day one. The effective but not overly "hey a farang, bare your teeth" short smile you get after paying for your chopped ribs at the local talad is what I prefer, but still do not expect. What I do expect is for those ribs to be top quality. Which they are, when I shop at the corner of thanon rodfai and nernplubwan on the dark side.

Forgot to mention, I do appreciate when the bag dudes in Foodland carry the bags into the back of my car, I usually tip them with a twenty for it. The trip from the door to the lower parking can sometimes be as hard as travelling through Sahara, it gets very hot there. I also tend to shop big once in Foodland, so it's more like a dozen bags than a couple. Haven't stumbled on such a carry service elsewhere.

It's impossible to do a price comparison of supermarkets based on a few odd items. I've found the best deals in town at Foodmart - they sometimes have great specials. I've also found the best prices in town on some items in Villa. I found milk cheaper in Villa than anywhere else.

You need to shop around.

I don't understand why the OP is so concerned about whether the staff act friendly or not. Even the friendly ones are only doing it for show anyway.

• Like 1

. Of course the whole shop 'till you drop - experience from hell is available on the floors above, in case someone should be struck by shopping insanity on the spot.

What exactly do you mean? Why is it an experience from hell? I enjoy shopping on the "floors above".

You've been living in Pattaya for years and you still get offended by that? That sort of behaviour by cashiers is common all over town.

I suppose being American you're more accustomed to the fake friendliness in stores.

• Like 2

You've been living in Pattaya for years and you still get offended by that? That sort of behaviour by cashiers is common all over town.

I suppose being American you're more accustomed to the fake friendliness in stores.

smile.png

Edited by Markland

Congratulations. You've managed to twist a thread about Pattaya grocery stores into an America bash.

. Of course the whole shop 'till you drop - experience from hell is available on the floors above, in case someone should be struck by shopping insanity on the spot.

What exactly do you mean? Why is it an experience from hell? I enjoy shopping on the "floors above".

Personal preference, I hate shopping tours unless it's for power tools or cars. Pattaya was better before Central IMHO, as it draws more traffic to already congested area and of course the missus loves to shop for the clothes there. I occationally still get trapped by some mean plot of her's for dragging me there. Royal Garden is better in that respect, they at least have a couple of nice bars upstairs, where I can escape for the hour-long shopping marathon.

Tip for those stuck in a loop at Central: exit the mall from the northern side door, cross the small soi and you'll find a route under the building next to a hotel that leads straight to soi 8. An oasis for the distressed. Just say you're going to take a leak, coming back a few hours later she'll still show you some piece of garment and ask "would I look fat in this". The right answer is yes, then just find some sort of a chair and enjoy the beer buzz until she finally has had enough. Sorted.

That said, if one's looking for a plasticky brands-only mall airconditioned to frigid BKK standards, Central's the place.

Here's a method one man has devised to be rude back to the rude clerk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dmx5NagKBU

I can't explain though why he isn't American and expects good service.coffee1.gif

Here's a method one man has devised to be rude back to the rude clerk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dmx5NagKBU

I can't explain though why he isn't American and expects good service.coffee1.gif

Perfect Jing! or is it mate. Ha ha

It's impossible to do a price comparison of supermarkets based on a few odd items. I've found the best deals in town at Foodmart - they sometimes have great specials. I've also found the best prices in town on some items in Villa. I found milk cheaper in Villa than anywhere else.

You need to shop around.

I don't understand why the OP is so concerned about whether the staff act friendly or not. Even the friendly ones are only doing it for show anyway.

" It's impossible to do a price comparison of supermarkets based on a few odd items "

please explain why? this is not just a trivial price differential between supermarkets, this is a substantial

price gap on two items which I just happen to pick. There is no justification for their prices on these items?

Plus I found the staff there to be the worst bunch of miserable sourpusses of any supermarket in Pattaya

I shop all over the place. At Villa, some prices are ridiculous, and some are normal. Don't recall any bargains. But I've seen the same kind of thing at other markets. Really, to get a fair deal, you simply can't shop at one store! The stores all take advantage of that because people of course are mostly willing to pay for the convenience of shopping around less. Even Foodmart which is probably the most needless markup place in town, has normal prices on SOME items. The only way to know is again to shop around a lot. On a few items, Foodmart has the lowest prices in town. A very few.

Edited by Jingthing

but Foodmart offers some products which you can't find neither in Friendship nor in Foodland.