Songkran In Cm Why Are Farangs So Stupid?

msg362

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, just read this thread and I see your point.

You can use my GoPro Hero 2 with the waterproof housing to make videos on two conditions.

1. You bring back my camera coming monday (23).

2. You publish some shots here on this thread.

Just PM me.

Hope this will cool down everyone a bit.

Thanks, I've just posted!

Songkran has it's roots in Hinduism. The Buddha being the 9th Avatar of Krishna and all. It's all relative.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun DaamNaam,

The "minority" concept in Hinduism that Krishna is the source of all avatars, rather than Vishnu, is definitely related to the less common schools of Vaishnavism, eclipsed by far in the belief that all avatars are emanations, or incarnations, of Vishnu. Similarly, there are some Indian systems that believe that Ganesh (Thai: phii Ganet) also has avatars.

What do your eyes tell you: have you ever seen, in any Thai Wat, in a temple mural, a representation of Krishna ? A statue of Krishna outside, in the grounds of the Wat ?

In the less widely prevalent forms of Hinduism, there are believed to be ten avatars (Dashavatara): Krishna is the 8th. incarnation of Vishnu, and Buddha the 9th. In the Bhagavata Purana, the dominant belief, there are twenty-two, with Krishna at 20th., and Buddha at 21st.

The strongest connection with rain would be in the rarer interpretation, as mentioned, that the 8th. is Balarama, brother of Krishna, who is associated with imagery of clouds and rain, and that Lord Kesava (Krishna in that interpretation) is the source of all avatars.

The Thais who migrated to the fertile river valleys of northern Thailand in waves over centuries so long ago (as early as 5th. century CE, possibly, but probably a great majority driven south centuries later by Mongol pressure from the north to emigrate), were already agriculturists, already rice-growers, with, probably, no written culture, no mastery of ceramics or metal, an oral tradition whose richness we can know nothing about, matrilineal, matriarchal social organization, and animist beliefs. Very possible they brought the roots of the solar fertility festival with them which persisted as they absorbed Indic culture, and technology, through several vectors, including Mon, Khmer, Srivijayan, Chinese, etc.

In the most widespread belief, within Hinduism, in avatars of Vishnu, as expressed in the Bhagavata Purana, there are twenty-two: and I, personally, favor twenty-two because: at number thirteen, you have Mohini, the Enchantress, and the last of the twenty-two to come (we've been through twenty-one, already), Kalki, who is going to wipe the slate clean and expunge the planet of its scum of destructive human vermin.

best, ~o:37;

very interesting, thanks very much for posting that.

• Like 1

OK,

Here is a

of the video I took yesterday, using my £2000 ( pound) video camera in a dedicated water resistant 'raincoat'. You'll see that around Ratchadamnoen road, lt was fine. At Taephae Gate i decided to put the camera away, that's when the idiots came out.

Hope those of you that did not get there enjoy it

Cheers

OK,

Here is a

of the video I took yesterday, using my £2000 ( pound) video camera in a dedicated water resistant 'raincoat'. You'll see that around Ratchadamnoen road, lt was fine. At Taephae Gate i decided to put the camera away, that's when the idiots came out.

Hope those of you that did not get there enjoy it

Cheers

Nice camera work! Make me wish I am there!

Seems this videographer has no problem or complaining and seems to be asking for it. Seems about 50-50 Thai/Foreigner tossing at the camera.

I was COMMENTING not COMPLAINING! OBSERVATION is not COMPLAINT and it is possible to EDIT you know, i tried to make my rough cut representative, it depends what you want to achieve

Maybe this guy had a GoPro waterproof video camera. But I think his taste in music is not really in the Thai style!

Edited by msg362

why have an expensive camera when you are in Thailand walking around in Songkran , maybe its you who did not think.

+1

Watch the video , read the thread before you type

BTW last year, with the same gear and protection, I did not come across these idiot farangs, just luck I suppose.

Edited by msg362

Songkran is about having fun. Everyone is an idiot at Songkran. You take no prisoners and you ask for no mercy.

Leave you keys, wallet, phone, non-waterproof camera and Zimmer frame at home.

Take wrap around sunglasses, some sun cream and a decent water gun and be a kid again.

If I saw anyone with a camera, I would assume they are smart enough to have it in waterproof housing...and I would shoot you...

I had a great day. Here are a few shots.

post-21832-0-21726900-1334402775_thumb.j

post-21832-0-63598500-1334402847_thumb.j

post-21832-0-79991900-1334402885_thumb.j

post-21832-0-12867700-1334402950_thumb.j

Edited by sbk
inappropriate reference removed
  • Like 2

Seems this videographer has no problem or complaining and seems to be asking for it. Seems about 50-50 Thai/Foreigner tossing at the camera.

Maybe this guy had a GoPro waterproof video camera. But I think his taste in music is not really in the Thai style!

Here's one with Thai style music. wink.png

Lot of stuff from Thapae gate too. No waterproof cover, just experience. And zoom.

(Did like your vid a lot by the way, great to get some of the cultural stuff in.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Here's one with Thai style music. wink.png

Lot of stuff from Thapae gate too. No waterproof cover, just experience. And zoom.

(Did like your vid a lot by the way, great to get some of the cultural stuff in.)

Liked your video, got this stuff last year, the problem was going towards Loi Khroh where I had problems, I got some shots by the TV man on a table

I was eating a plate of 'Phat Graphao Kung' earlier this afternoon at a small backstreet eatery when a Songtheaw full of backpacker types drove past. A hulking snarling young western woman thought it would be fun to discharge her 'Rambo' water gun towards my plate of food.. I was rather annoyed to say the least.. if the truck had to stop in traffic I would have ran after it, got on and given her a very hard 'slap'. Idiots..

• Like 1

Songkran has it's roots in Hinduism. The Buddha being the 9th Avatar of Krishna and all. It's all relative.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun DaamNaam,

The "minority" concept in Hinduism that Krishna is the source of all avatars, rather than Vishnu, is definitely related to the less common schools of Vaishnavism, eclipsed by far in the belief that all avatars are emanations, or incarnations, of Vishnu. Similarly, there are some Indian systems that believe that Ganesh (Thai: phii Ganet) also has avatars.

What do your eyes tell you: have you ever seen, in any Thai Wat, in a temple mural, a representation of Krishna ? A statue of Krishna outside, in the grounds of the Wat ?

In the less widely prevalent forms of Hinduism, there are believed to be ten avatars (Dashavatara): Krishna is the 8th. incarnation of Vishnu, and Buddha the 9th. In the Bhagavata Purana, the dominant belief, there are twenty-two, with Krishna at 20th., and Buddha at 21st.

The strongest connection with rain would be in the rarer interpretation, as mentioned, that the 8th. is Balarama, brother of Krishna, who is associated with imagery of clouds and rain, and that Lord Kesava (Krishna in that interpretation) is the source of all avatars.

The Thais who migrated to the fertile river valleys of northern Thailand in waves over centuries so long ago (as early as 5th. century CE, possibly, but probably a great majority driven south centuries later by Mongol pressure from the north to emigrate), were already agriculturists, already rice-growers, with, probably, no written culture, no mastery of ceramics or metal, an oral tradition whose richness we can know nothing about, matrilineal, matriarchal social organization, and animist beliefs. Very possible they brought the roots of the solar fertility festival with them which persisted as they absorbed Indic culture, and technology, through several vectors, including Mon, Khmer, Srivijayan, Chinese, etc.

In the most widespread belief, within Hinduism, in avatars of Vishnu, as expressed in the Bhagavata Purana, there are twenty-two: and I, personally, favor twenty-two because: at number thirteen, you have Mohini, the Enchantress, and the last of the twenty-two to come (we've been through twenty-one, already), Kalki, who is going to wipe the slate clean and expunge the planet of its scum of destructive human vermin.

best, ~o:37;

Krishna , Vishnu, Siva etc are to be found In Wat Chian Man (Oldest temple in the moat area), also in Wat Haripunchai (Lamphun) very well represented there. Wat Umong (Chiang Mai), ubosot near the old bull. Temple of the big Buddha in Ko Samui , Krishna rules the roost there.

Buddha # 9, Kalki # 10, coming soon to a theatre near you.

BTW, great "copy and paste".

Edited by DaamNaam

Only on TV would you get crusty old turds complaining about Songkran. I watched the videos and all looked quite tame. Try songkran in Pattaya and then you might be justified in complaining. Come on people....its Songkran. If you go out, expect to get wet...and its not up to you as to how or when. If your gonna whine, STAY HOME!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Not complaining about Songkran, think it's great,that's why i went out to film it. The video is ' tame' because it's not possible to film around the farang idiots and I edited it to show what the parade was about.. Thanks for the advice about staying home, but I don't think I'll take it. I did expect to get wet (and did), I expected my camera to be splashed, I did not expect a full frontal attack designed to ruin my camera, maybe where you come from it's par for the course, I don't know You miss the point, it's neither complaining nor whining but asking a question about the behaviour of some idiots. Have you finished being rude?

Edited by msg362

Why not rewrite the rules within this theatre of war and have all combatants wear colourful Songhan shirts which then identifies the wearing as giving consent to everything they receive. Not wearing a Songhan shirt indicates that you are either too busy conducting business or a fellow grumpy old expat who has apparently outgrown this silly water throwing stuff. Failure to abide will result in a head dunking in sewer water.

Edited by xen

yes farangs can be stupid but it's just as stupid taking a cam out at Songkran! unless you have proper and adequate protection just don't do it - asking for trouble

Clearly you can't read. I'll spell it out ( sorry about capitals) THE CAMERA HAD A PURPOSE DESIGNED WATER RESISTANT CASE ON IT. THE IDIOT FARANG TRIED THREE TIMES TO SQUIRT WATER INTO THE CAMERA AS I WAS PUTTING IT AWAY. No damage, I'm merely asking what goes on in their heads that makes this so funny.

Yesterday, I trailed (in my car) two waterwar tanks.

These are trucks. Their ammunition is located in 55gallon drums, great plastic garbage tubs, or ice chests. Their armor is absent usually, but their weapons vary from various light arms (squirt guns) to bazookas, mortars, and so forth. To my eye, one of the most effective was a kitchen pan with a particularly long handle. Manning the tanks were often up to 10 people, including mostly youngsters and sometimes a laughing dad or grandpa.

At another place I observed a tank exchanging lively heavy fire with a ground emplacement, which had a cannon (garden hose) as well as buckets. What was remarkable was that everyone was laughing (some of the ground personnel were young women). It struck me then.

A Westerner from the U.S., I could not conceive being splashed as something other than aggression. For the Thais, enough tradition and cultural memory harkened back to the blessing aspects of water throwing. For them, others are tossing good upon them - at least in good part; this is a game as well. What's different between me and them is our understanding of what's going on.

From then on, I watched only the Thai people. They were having great fun and expressed joy. I, on the other hand, would have felt satisfaction in getting more ammo on the others than they got on me, as in that case I would have won. Sad, sad.

I pretty well stayed out of it. But my Thai wife was all excited about it. She had her 3 year old niece armed with a water gun attached to her backpack and her 15 year old nephew armed with the biggest water riffle I could find.

I tried to stay in but circumstances had me out twice and I was unarmed so I got wet and no revenge. Such is life,

It was a good feeling to see them happy about the festival. My wife has already informed me she will be going to the temple Monday morning. I guess it is the wrap up for the festival.

Plus many families get together for a family reunion. This year hers was here in Chiang Mai. To look at it through the Thai eyes it is a very good time of the year a celebration with deep meanings.

Through the eyes of a foreigner it is a great party time or a stupid thing to do and They will just criticize it. There is how ever some who like WTK except it and participate in it without having to get drunk or put others in danger.

Yesterday, I trailed (in my car) two waterwar tanks.

These are trucks. Their ammunition is located in 55gallon drums, great plastic garbage tubs, or ice chests. Their armor is absent usually, but their weapons vary from various light arms (squirt guns) to bazookas, mortars, and so forth. To my eye, one of the most effective was a kitchen pan with a particularly long handle. Manning the tanks were often up to 10 people, including mostly youngsters and sometimes a laughing dad or grandpa.

At another place I observed a tank exchanging lively heavy fire with a ground emplacement, which had a cannon (garden hose) as well as buckets. What was remarkable was that everyone was laughing (some of the ground personnel were young women). It struck me then.

A Westerner from the U.S., I could not conceive being splashed as something other than aggression. For the Thais, enough tradition and cultural memory harkened back to the blessing aspects of water throwing. For them, others are tossing good upon them - at least in good part; this is a game as well. What's different between me and them is our understanding of what's going on.

From then on, I watched only the Thai people. They were having great fun and expressed joy. I, on the other hand, would have felt satisfaction in getting more ammo on the others than they got on me, as in that case I would have won. Sad, sad.

I pretty well stayed out of it. But my Thai wife was all excited about it. She had her 3 year old niece armed with a water gun attached to her backpack and her 15 year old nephew armed with the biggest water riffle I could find.

I tried to stay in but circumstances had me out twice and I was unarmed so I got wet and no revenge. Such is life,

It was a good feeling to see them happy about the festival. My wife has already informed me she will be going to the temple Monday morning. I guess it is the wrap up for the festival.

Plus many families get together for a family reunion. This year hers was here in Chiang Mai. To look at it through the Thai eyes it is a very good time of the year a celebration with deep meanings.

Through the eyes of a foreigner it is a great party time or a stupid thing to do and They will just criticize it. There is how ever some who like WTK except it and participate in it without having to get drunk or put others in danger.

I agree, my wife has paid respect to her parents, and today went to a Wat and participated in a ceremony. I really liked watching ( and filming) the kids and adults alike having fun in town on Friday. It's a great time. I've now got footage of 'traditional', Moat and other stuff, think I'll put together a short video later this month. Pity I couldn't get the farang idiot who tried to wreck my camera, that would have been good.

I've had a blast here for the last 2 days and plan on doing it again today...

Sure, there are some jerks out here... but to just refer to 'idiot farangs' is not really fair... There were all sorts of idiots out there....I had a Thai person whip a handful of wet talcum powder in my eyes laughing like a lunatic ...... also saw white people doing the same... even saw some Japanese and Chinese acting like retards too... It's Songkran... People do stupid things without thinking... you just have to expect it I guess smile.png

Anyways... I'm off to have another great day out there!

Ciao,

Jeff

Edited by jefftd77
  • Like 1

Going out dressed like that tsk tsk asking for it!

Going out on a motorbike at Song Kran tsk tsk asking for it!

Going out expecting to record the festivities tsk tsk asking for it!

Quite a sorry state of affairs where the victim has to accommodate the aggressor's lack of common sense/decency tsk tsk :P

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I've had a blast here for the last 2 days and plan on doing it again today...

Sure, there are some jerks out here... but to just refer to 'idiot farangs' is not really fair... There were all sorts of idiots out there....I had a Thai person whip a handful of wet talcum powder in my eyes laughing like a lunatic ...... also saw white people doing the same... even saw some Japanese and Chinese acting like retards too... It's Songkran... People do stupid things without thinking... you just have to expect it I guess smile.png

Anyways... I'm off to have another great day out there!

Ciao,

Jeff

Hope your still around by next year. People always say nothing will happen to them.

To answer the original question that started this thread....Because their born that way!

Edited by Lifer