Songkran In Cm Why Are Farangs So Stupid?

msg362

yes farangs can be stupid but it's just as stupid taking a cam out at Songkran! unless you have proper and adequate protection just don't do it - asking for trouble

Clearly you can't read. I'll spell it out ( sorry about capitals) THE CAMERA HAD A PURPOSE DESIGNED WATER RESISTANT CASE ON IT. THE IDIOT FARANG TRIED THREE TIMES TO SQUIRT WATER INTO THE CAMERA AS I WAS PUTTING IT AWAY. No damage, I'm merely asking what goes on in their heads that makes this so funny.

CLEARLY you are an twit - this is Thailand and Songkran - don't like it? go home

PS hahaha same complaint last year? same camera? same twit? still here? get used to it - some never learn - any bets for same post next Songkran??? oh my poor camera...

Edited by udonguy
  • Like 1

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP:

First of all you're making a thinly veiled brag about the value of some camera equipment. Nobody cares and it is unbecoming of a mature adult to still boast like that.

Second the biggest stupidity that I've read is actually taking such delicate, fragile equipment into a full on water fight. That is far stupider than the people throwing water at you. Why? Because there is just water flying everywhere and it is likely to become damaged even if people aren't doing it intentionally. And if your camera was indeed protected from the water - and thus you weren't being an idiot - then you're making a problem out of nothing.

Third, I've seen both Thais and Farangs (and everyone else) act sadistic. Since you are not seeing that it means you see Thai people through rose colored glasses, have some irrational dislike of farangs/tourists or some mix of the two. This borders on racism and it would be like me coming on here and making a post about, "Those idiot Thai people for such and such reason". I doubt the mods would stand for that and you'd be getting berated a lot more than you are now.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk
  • Like 1

I've had a blast here for the last 2 days and plan on doing it again today...

Sure, there are some jerks out here... but to just refer to 'idiot farangs' is not really fair... There were all sorts of idiots out there....I had a Thai person whip a handful of wet talcum powder in my eyes laughing like a lunatic ...... also saw white people doing the same... even saw some Japanese and Chinese acting like retards too... It's Songkran... People do stupid things without thinking... you just have to expect it I guess smile.png

Anyways... I'm off to have another great day out there!

Ciao,

Jeff

With everybody covered with talcum powder how do you know who's "white"?

PS: I THOUGHT THIS SOUNDED FAMILIAR... THE OP COMPLAINED ABOUT THE EXACT SAME THING LAST YEAR!

He did indeed. BUSTED! clap2.gif

Yes, it happens every year and it seems always to be farangs, the Thais are OK Is there a pattern emerging?

Edited by msg362

I had a great time, 4 hours of walking and playing round the moat, until I got to the farang section round tae pae gate/loi kroh... what a bunch of pis**d up ar**holes! Really, what a contrast....

Dont feel bad I rode arond the moat yesterday as well got wet got sprayed had ice cold water poured down my back not a problem Im fair game . I didnt mind until I got in front of Amora Hotel . I got hit almost point blank in the eyes with a high presure squirt tube . I looked over and there were two farrangs about 65 standing there in front of a trash bucket filled with water laughing holding there weapons proud . I was on a motor bike thank fully not moving , just plain ignorant . Then got the same thing again in front of the bars up the road one farrang being stupid . Again Im fair game if Im out I rather enjoy it...... but I do value my eyes . I stayed home today

yes farangs can be stupid but it's just as stupid taking a cam out at Songkran! unless you have proper and adequate protection just don't do it - asking for trouble

Clearly you can't read. I'll spell it out ( sorry about capitals) THE CAMERA HAD A PURPOSE DESIGNED WATER RESISTANT CASE ON IT. THE IDIOT FARANG TRIED THREE TIMES TO SQUIRT WATER INTO THE CAMERA AS I WAS PUTTING IT AWAY. No damage, I'm merely asking what goes on in their heads that makes this so funny.

CLEARLY you are an twit - this is Thailand and Songkran - don't like it? go home

PS hahaha same complaint last year? same camera? same twit? still here? get used to it - some never learn - any bets for same post next Songkran??? oh my poor camera...

My home is here. I'll try to spell it out for you are you seem to have difficulty understanding compilcated sentences.

I like songkran

I live here

The camera was protected.

Two years now it has been Farangs around Taphae Gate who act aggressively.

This is an observation ( I am a scientist by training and wonder if it is possible to draw conclusions)

You seem to think insulting people advances your argument.

I am bored responding to you.

Two Thais on a motorcycle fell off in front of my car today, about mid-day.

Nobody else involved, drunk as skunks, they laughed, got back on and rode off.

Wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, no helmets.

No white man can beat that for stupid!

@BB1955

Wear a full face helmet.

@msg362

Don't be silly, if you take your camera out in a water-fight, you must accept the risk.

If you tried filming such an event in the west, you would probably be accused of being a pedophile.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

OP:

First of all you're making a thinly veiled brag about the value of some camera equipment. Nobody cares and it is unbecoming of a mature adult to still boast like that.

Second the biggest stupidity that I've read is actually taking such delicate, fragile equipment into a full on water fight. That is far stupider than the people throwing water at you. Why? Because there is just water flying everywhere and it is likely to become damaged even if people aren't doing it intentionally. And if your camera was indeed protected from the water - and thus you weren't being an idiot - then you're making a problem out of nothing.

Third, I've seen both Thais and Farangs (and everyone else) act sadistic. Since you are not seeing that it means you see Thai people through rose colored glasses, have some irrational dislike of farangs/tourists or some mix of the two. This borders on racism and it would be like me coming on here and making a post about, "Those idiot Thai people for such and such reason". I doubt the mods would stand for that and you'd be getting berated a lot more than you are now.

Not at all you jump to conclusions, I agree some Thais can behave in the same manner,but I'm making an observation based on my experience. Not racist ( I had no idea what 'race' the idiot was from nor the 'race' of the guy who squirted me in the eyes from 50 cm), but around Taphae gate/ Loi Kroh, the action was a lot more aggressive than elsewhere and they were predominantly farang.

The point about the value of the camera is that it was obviously not a camcorder and that was visible to the idiot. It was much larger and very obvious yet still he thought it was a great laugh to repeatedly try to ruin it as I was trying to put it away. My question has always been 'what goes on in the heads of these people?"

Edited by msg362

I've had a blast here for the last 2 days and plan on doing it again today...

Sure, there are some jerks out here... but to just refer to 'idiot farangs' is not really fair... There were all sorts of idiots out there....I had a Thai person whip a handful of wet talcum powder in my eyes laughing like a lunatic ...... also saw white people doing the same... even saw some Japanese and Chinese acting like retards too... It's Songkran... People do stupid things without thinking... you just have to expect it I guess smile.png

Anyways... I'm off to have another great day out there!

Ciao,

Jeff

With everybody covered with talcum powder how do you know who's "white"?

They are taller, wear fewer clothes and have more tatoos

My home is here. I'll try to spell it out for you are you seem to have difficulty understanding compilcated sentences.

I like songkran

I live here

The camera was protected.

Two years now it has been Farangs around Taphae Gate who act aggressively.

This is an observation ( I am a scientist by training and wonder if it is possible to draw conclusions)

You seem to think insulting people advances your argument.

I am bored responding to you.

ah! a Scientist - and one who cannot figure if something happens ONCE it may happen AGAIN

Hmm let's figure this out:

year 1 Songkran = camera got wet - let's complain

year 2 Songkran = camera got wet - let's complain

Think in scientific brain - is there a pattern??? hmmm difficult one that

PS it was YOU who started being rude (and shouting) with this little diatribe:

'Clearly you can't read. I'll spell it out ( sorry about capitals) THE CAMERA HAD A PURPOSE DESIGNED WATER RESISTANT CASE ON IT. THE IDIOT FARANG TRIED THREE TIMES TO SQUIRT WATER INTO THE CAMERA AS I WAS PUTTING IT AWAY

Edited by udonguy
  • Like 1

why have an expensive camera when you are in Thailand walking around in Songkran , maybe its you who did not think.

I'm taking video, it is allowed you know and it was in a specially designed rain cover, that's why the idiot didn't harm it. I did think. The point is Thais respect you, idiot farangs do not

msg362.....My wife and I had the same experience walking to dinner after dark on Huay Gaew Road last night. All the Thai's would hold back when we gave them a polite wave, but the foreign tourists would just douse away. I broke the water gun of one guy that shoved it right into my stomach. The tourists just have no idea that there might be a loose set of etiquette here. I don't really blame them, but at the same time I don't like being victim to their ignorance.

I've been really interested in the responses to my original post. There are those who read it and understood I was asking about behaviours, not complaining, those who skimmed it and told me I should not take an unprotected camera into town at Songkran and those who were just downright aggressive and nasty.

Sorry about this being a long response, but I think ( if those who are aggressive can actually read to the end) We can summarise this.

I like to make videos about Thai life. Last year I filmed around the moat at Songkran ,got lots of good stuff with Thais being happy and responsible in general and yes I posted about some idiot farang at Taphae gate. I also filmed in villages -local ceremonies at Wats and Thais making merit in their way. Families where the younger people raying respect by pouring a small amount of water over their parents hands. I filmed kids having fun throwing water at passing cars and so on. What I didn't have was footage of the parade of Bhudda images to Wat Pra Singh, and important element and that's what I was filming on Friday.

So this year, like last, farangs around Taphae gate behaved oddly/badly compared with most ( not all ) Thais. I'm not upset by that, no damage, no problem, but trying to point out why some farang behaviour is so different from most Thais. So I asked the question 'what goes on in their heads, why are they so happy to destroy?"

Now I know that was difficult for some TV members to grasp because it is not a complaint, nor a whine but simply a question.

Thank you folks for those of you that have tried to answer the question or who have come up with accounts of your own to add flesh to the story.

I'm now in a position to make a fairly reasonable first crack a short video trying to describe Songkran in CM. I don't pretend to understand all the complexities of the Thai culture and a short video can't do that, but maybe it can contrast the tradition with current CM reality. I'll try.

So again, thanks for thoseof you that read and commented sensibly. For those of you that told me I'm, boasting/arrogant/ should go home/ am stupid/ whatever, again thanks I understand you better and realise some of you can't grasp ideas but are happy to insult from behind your avatars.

Edited by msg362

If you tried filming such an event in the west, you would probably be accused of being a pedophile.

Yeah. Was watching two young kids imitate last year's coyote pick up dance. It was kind of cute, but out of context it might not seem appropriate.

post-64232-0-02148100-1334492289_thumb.j post-64232-0-34588800-1334492300_thumb.j post-64232-0-67819200-1334492303_thumb.j

A couple of years ago in the UK I was told ( by my family) not to video 5 soccer pitches from about 100 metres away where ( I guess) 12 year old boys were playing soccer ( I was trying out a new camcorder). Because I was in danger of being regarded as a paedophile.

Not racist ( I had no idea what 'race' the idiot was from nor the 'race' of the guy who squirted me in the eyes from 50 cm)

Farang is a word used to describe white people. You're suggesting that white people are somehow worse or less respectful than Thai people. It would clearly be racist for me to make a post like, "Why are black people so bad?" and that is basically what you've done here.

The point about the value of the camera is that it was obviously not a camcorder and that was visible to the idiot. It was much larger and very obvious yet still he thought it was a great laugh to repeatedly try to ruin it as I was trying to put it away.

Would it be okay for someone to attempt destroying the camera if it was worth less money? This is not logical at all and you obviously don't believe that. You stating the value of your camera holds no useful purpose for the discussion you created... you really were just bragging and you're certainly not fooling me.

My question has always been 'what goes on in the heads of these people?"

If you reread the title of this thread you will see that that was not your question at all.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk
  • Like 2

Not racist ( I had no idea what 'race' the idiot was from nor the 'race' of the guy who squirted me in the eyes from 50 cm)

Farang is a word used to describe white people. You're suggesting that white people are somehow worse or less respectful than Thai people. It would clearly be racist for me to make a post like, "Why are black people so bad?" and that is basically what you've done here.

The point about the value of the camera is that it was obviously not a camcorder and that was visible to the idiot. It was much larger and very obvious yet still he thought it was a great laugh to repeatedly try to ruin it as I was trying to put it away.

Would it be okay for someone to attempt destroying the camera if it was worth less money? This is not logical at all and you obviously don't believe that. You stating the value of your camera holds no useful purpose for the discussion you created... you really were just bragging and you're certainly not fooling me.

My question has always been 'what goes on in the heads of these people?"

If you reread the title of this thread you will see that that was not your question at all.

What goes on in the head of a 20 year something farang grinning inanely and trying to ruin a £2000 video camera?. Why squirt from 50 cm?

From the original post

Farang describes people from the west mainly and my observation was that ,on that day, around Taphae gate, they were behaving worse than most Thais. just as you can say supporters of a football team are behaving badly. Not racist , just shorthand and observation, what would you have me say?. I have never said, nor would I say 'why are black people so bad,?' don't try to put words in my mouth

And I agree ,any attempt to ruin someone's camera is reprehensible and it was a farang trying to do it.

I'm getting bored, but one last attempt. My camera is bigger than normal 'camcorders', it looks very similar to the professional cameras used by TV companies, but it not, it is far cheaper than those. but to an untrained eye, it may look like one. It's clearly not an amateur camera, most people look at it and think it's a TV video camera. This is not boasting, it's trying to help you. The guy deliberately tried to damage it with an inane grin on his face. Now whether you think I'm racist to comment or not,I really don't care and I've spent more than enough time trying to help you understand. You have no idea who I am nor my background and I really find you presumption that I am racist' offensive. I can equally say things about who I think you are, your ability to comprehend simple English and inability to refrain from attacking others rather than addressing the points raised, but I will not.

My camera is bigger than normal 'camcorders', it looks very similar to the professional cameras used by TV companies, but it not, it is far cheaper than those.

One might assume bigger equipment = bigger target.

Yes, his aim was very poor, maybe he thought he might hit this one!

why have an expensive camera when you are in Thailand walking around in Songkran , maybe its you who did not think.

I agree why have an expensive camera/video player out during Songkran!

ER TV cameras were out, reporters were out, are you saying they should not be? ( I don't need an answer)

The op has a point. Farangs tend to get a bit carried away during Songkran (many of us have been there), and you typically don't see Thai people being so vindictive as to try to screw someone's camera. For karma's sake, suggest this: calmly put away camera > square up to whitey > headbutt. whistling.gif

• Like 1

it is what it is - what's the problem? yes there are idiot farang yes there are idiot thais - and what? you complained last year about the same thing! so maybe next year you will have figured what's going to happen? you can't stop it, you can't control it, you can only control yourself - don't take the camera

• Like 1

I've been really interested in the responses to my original post. There are those who read it and understood I was asking about behaviours, not complaining, those who skimmed it and told me I should not take an unprotected camera into town at Songkran and those who were just downright aggressive and nasty.

Sorry about this being a long response, but I think ( if those who are aggressive can actually read to the end) We can summarise this.

I like to make videos about Thai life. Last year I filmed around the moat at Songkran ,got lots of good stuff with Thais being happy and responsible in general and yes I posted about some idiot farang at Taphae gate. I also filmed in villages -local ceremonies at Wats and Thais making merit in their way. Families where the younger people raying respect by pouring a small amount of water over their parents hands. I filmed kids having fun throwing water at passing cars and so on. What I didn't have was footage of the parade of Bhudda images to Wat Pra Singh, and important element and that's what I was filming on Friday.

So this year, like last, farangs around Taphae gate behaved oddly/badly compared with most ( not all ) Thais. I'm not upset by that, no damage, no problem, but trying to point out why some farang behaviour is so different from most Thais. So I asked the question 'what goes on in their heads, why are they so happy to destroy?"

Now I know that was difficult for some TV members to grasp because it is not a complaint, nor a whine but simply a question.

Thank you folks for those of you that have tried to answer the question or who have come up with accounts of your own to add flesh to the story.

I'm now in a position to make a fairly reasonable first crack a short video trying to describe Songkran in CM. I don't pretend to understand all the complexities of the Thai culture and a short video can't do that, but maybe it can contrast the tradition with current CM reality. I'll try.

So again, thanks for thoseof you that read and commented sensibly. For those of you that told me I'm, boasting/arrogant/ should go home/ am stupid/ whatever, again thanks I understand you better and realise some of you can't grasp ideas but are happy to insult from behind your avatars.

every word comes across as utterly superior and arrogant

edit: the OP claims it was just a 'question' but he asked the same question last year - and it is not just a 'question' it's written in an aggressive anti-farang style - it's a leading question not an honest 'why'? so no point commenting further with this aggressive guy and his precious 'ideas' about what's right and what's wrong with Songkran if he phrased it differently he would get more sympathy but it has been highlighted by other posters that he's a serial moaner and complainer - and there are 100s of old farangs like him unfortunately. Mai pen rai.

Edited by udonguy

I agree why have an expensive camera/video player out during Songkran!

ER TV cameras were out, reporters were out, are you saying they should not be? ( I don't need an answer)

And how many of the real reporters do you see complaining about songkran, and bragging about their equipment on Thaivisa? Mai mee! Just you, two years running! Very bloody farrang mak mak! jap.gif

Edited by expatmakmak
  • Like 2

This is Songkran - the ancient and traditional (up until 1940) multi-day holiday (no work) of Thailand.

The tradition includes washing away errors of the past year. Water is employed to accomplish this. (True traditionalists throw underhand.)

It is a blessing and a fun time.

Consider then the (almost always - look how they dress) Western tourist who has never consulted a guide book. Must be therefore ignorant (no sin that). What we have is a cultural misunderstanding, which is why more farang (probably) greet a "blessing" occasion as a war.

Naturally, the Thai population will include youngsters who default to the game part only, or drunks who release hostility. Farangs doubtless supply more than their share.

But so far as I can figure out, only Winnie and Nikster have realized the true meaning of this holiday at the outset of this string; the rest of us (I include me) have been behaving as if we too misunderstand. And this must include - on this happy occasion - those of us who insult and grumble. Tourists are one thing. We expats are another, and angry submissions here demonstrate as well as anything why we farangs often miss the point. How can I be happy in climbing all over a chap who complains (twice) that people, usually farangs, aim at his camera, even if it is waterproofed? Nope, it's not happy-making.

As a fellow said about the captain of an Italian cruse ship, you don't have to go down with the ship...but "Get wet!" 1 1/2 or 3 1/2 days to go!

(Please understand that I include myself in the beginners' efforts to comprehend Thai Land.)

Edited by CMX
  • Like 1

This was just reported on Thai visa. maybe I'll have to change my mind!

Three vicious murders marred Songkran celebrations in separate incidents around the country yesterday.

In one, a 58-year-old man in Chumphon was clubbed to death by a drunken reveller for objecting to being drenched with water.

In another case in Bangkok, an underage member of an illegal motorcycle gang was shot dead and four others wounded when a rival gang opened fire after a Silom Road water fight turned deadly.

And in Satun, a man knifed a drunken reveller to death for allegedly molesting his sister during a water fight.

every word comes across as utterly superior and arrogant

edit: the OP claims it was just a 'question' but he asked the same question last year - and it is not just a 'question' it's written in an aggressive anti-farang style - it's a leading question not an honest 'why'? so no point commenting further with this aggressive guy and his precious 'ideas' about what's right and what's wrong with Songkran if he phrased it differently he would get more sympathy but it has been highlighted by other posters that he's a serial moaner and complainer - and there are 100s of old farangs like him unfortunately. Mai pen rai.

My goodness ,you are an angry little man aren't you. ( aggression? me ?, try looking at your own posts! ) I'd try meditation if I were you, it might make you happier. Try reading properly, you will see I did not express any ideas of what's right and wrong, merely wondered. Happy songkran. (How do you know how old I am? ( I'm 14))