Songkran In Cm Why Are Farangs So Stupid?

msg362

Songkran around the moat in CM and you will get wet!. But carrying an expensive video camera ( it was wearing a raincoat), almost all the Thais, when they saw the camera did not spray directly at it. Admittedly some did put ice cold water down my back, but that's OK. They looked and saw and smiled.

Now the farangs, a different story. One deliberately tried to squirt water into the camera while I was trying to put it away, another, from about 50 cm squirted water directly in to my face. They do this with an inane look on their face. Others did similar things. Not all farangs, but many of them. What goes on in the head of a 20 year something farang grinning inanely and trying to ruin a £2000 video camera?. Why squirt from 50 cm?

Others, wearing just shorts, walked wet into the cafe I was stopping at, dripping everywhere, with no regard for the owners. ( he was upset)

You could see the look of disdain on the face of Thais.

A real pity

The parade was great!

• Like 1

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came back from a quiet night out. No issues, very dry. I also noticed the traffic was remarkably civilized, I was expecting a lot of crazy driving but most drivers almost seemed more careful than normal. (As was I).

In the Thapae / Loi Kroh area there were a couple Farangs who didn't really know when things end, but they were mostly playing between themselves. Of course it only takes one idiot with a bucket, but overall I didn't encounter anything untoward. And that's Thapae/Loi Kroh; if you go to a non-Farang area (i.e. just about everywhere) then you're virtually guaranteed a civilized experience.

Probably because the world's biggest idiots all head to Thailand for what is actively promoted as the world's biggest water fight. <deleted> do you expect?

So people lose all sense of logic and consideration??

I can get that many farangs dont know about some polite rules of conduct regarding Songkran (ie: stopping after dark) really think TAT (etc) should create a leaflet with information regarding this. BUT, that has nothing to do with people having a destructive and mean mentality... i have to disagree.. just because i think that you dont need to act like a total barbarian just because you are given a water pistol and bucket for the day.. Erm..just my opinion.

It seems they come to have fun, but in reality they come to vent their frustration at being stuck on the merry-go-round of mundane existence of their home countries...Maybe.

Edited by DaamNaam
  • Like 1

I had a great time, 4 hours of walking and playing round the moat, until I got to the farang section round tae pae gate/loi kroh... what a bunch of pis**d up ar**holes! Really, what a contrast....

Do you ever get the feeling that your wearing brown shoes and everyone else is wearing a tuxedo? I could put it more simply, but I would be banned.....

IMHO, bringing an expensive camera to the world's largest water gun fight is definitely not a good idea. Even if everyone was considerate, random water is flying everywhere. Why put your camera in jeopardy! Plus, I'm sure you've been here long enough to know that there are some inconsiderate a**holes who will aim for it on purpose!

• Like 2

why have an expensive camera when you are in Thailand walking around in Songkran , maybe its you who did not think.

Hmm sorry Thongkorn, i disagree. Surely people can have a bit of consideration. I actually dont understand the need for inconsiderate behaviour such as trying to wreck someones equipment, trying to squirt water in someones ear or eyes, or back streets where people are wearing regular clothes, obviously not participating in songkran (or in the evening when ppl are dressed for dinner). (The ice water does my head in as well to be honest, but thats just a personal grouch). Just dont get why people can enjoy an event, as crazy as it may be, without the need for pretty extreme behaviour. Like rabid dogs let of a leash or something...just dont get it.

This is not some hypothetical thing here. This is reality yes they can have a bit of consideration.

Now that we are done with the head games we will get back to reality. Farongs come here to party as well as throw water. The result is if some one does not properly protect there expensive camera it will probably get wet. Heck I even put my hearing aids in a plastic bag of course they cost a lot more than a camera but the point is I want them and I want them to be dry so I protect them. I don't put them in my ears and wander around in the middle of a water fight.

While we are talking about a little bit of consideration surely people could have some before they jump in their car and drive home all drunked up. Will they?

why have an expensive camera when you are in Thailand walking around in Songkran , maybe its you who did not think.

Exactly. The subject could just as easily read, ' what kind of moron brings a $2000 video camera out on songkran '.

There are definitely a number of "celebrants" that are just looking to annoy someone, but as someone who knows absolutely nothing at all about cameras, I would assume that no one would be crazy enough to bring one into a water fight unless it was waterproof. Maybe things are not as negative as they appear.

• Like 1

Exactly. The subject could just as easily read, ' what kind of moron brings a $2000 video camera out on songkran '.

There are definitely a number of "celebrants" that are just looking to annoy someone, but as someone who knows absolutely nothing at all about cameras, I would assume that no one would be crazy enough to bring one into a water fight unless it was waterproof. Maybe things are not as negative as they appear.

I brought my camcorder to Songrkan a couple of years back. It is not waterproof but it was protected as well as possible and it did survive the day unscathed. But my experience was very similar to the op. I was well aware that I was taking a risk bringing the cam because accidents do happen, but I was surprised by the willful attempts to by some to try and get water under the protective coat. I guess that these people like some of the posters here think that destruction of other people property is ok because it happens during a festival.

But that people are stupid and inconsiderate doesn't stop at video equipment.

I brought my daughter for the first time this year and we had a great time. I was a bit worried as she normally doesn't like getting her face wet when I was her hair, so I was ready to take her home straight away if she got scared. But she took it like a pro and have the feeling that washing her hair will post no further problems.

I did see one incident that made me upset though. As we were walking home hand in hand, down Loi Kroh, there was another father walking in front of us with his child on his arm. He was waving his hand at people trying to stop them from spraying water at his child. And from the looks of it having success as well. Until he passed a place full of foreigners. At least one of them, after he had passed and had his back turned, sprayed water straight into the face of the child. When I walked past the guy had walking into the bar and it looked like someone was going to get punched. Can't say I blame him.

And for those that will say: well, you shouldn't bring your small child to Songrkan. You are really arguing that Songran should only be for people with the stamina of a werwolf on steroids, the agility of an east German gymnast and the mindset of a British hooligan.

I'm taking video, it is allowed you know and it was in a specially designed rain cover, that's why the idiot didn't harm it. I did think. The point is Thais respect you, idiot farangs do not

• Like 1

No it couldn.t, rad the earlier reply, it was in a specially designed rain proof cover , that is why there was no damage. Only the lens was exposed. And read my post, it was £ not $

Just came back from a quiet night out. No issues, very dry. I also noticed the traffic was remarkably civilized, I was expecting a lot of crazy driving but most drivers almost seemed more careful than normal. (As was I).

In the Thapae / Loi Kroh area there were a couple Farangs who didn't really know when things end, but they were mostly playing between themselves. Of course it only takes one idiot with a bucket, but overall I didn't encounter anything untoward. And that's Thapae/Loi Kroh; if you go to a non-Farang area (i.e. just about everywhere) then you're virtually guaranteed a civilized experience.

Agree, it was as we were walking back to get the car around Taphae. Loi Kro that this happened. Nearer Wat Pra Singh was fine.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

It was protected, see my later post

Read my replies. It was protected in a specially designed cover. I was trying to put the camera into a bag when the idiot aimed at the lens. ( 3 times) He missed, the camera was fine and I now have some super video of the parade. You miss the point. Thais respect, lots of farangs show no consideration at all and are looked down upon by Thais ( and by me). As I said earlier, this occurred around Taphae Gate/ Loi Kroh as we were getting back to the car. ( Read again £ not $)

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by msg362

Bloody stupid mak mak! If the camera was protected then why complain? Stupid! If the camera wasn't protected why were you walking around a bloody water fight with it? Stupid!

Farrangs will be farrangs. It's the farrangs with no common sense that I despair of. As an expat with over 700 posts on Thaivisa, you should know better!jap.gif

• Like 1

In 8 years I have never been wet unwillingly. Will ogten go out in the middle of the day to the store, no porblem.

Are you using Pampers, or complete full-body custom-fitted vinyl suit, with rubber hip boot silicon-sealed to your legs at their upper rims ?

best, o:37;

Edited by orang37

I guess that these people like some of the posters here think that destruction of other people property is ok because it happens during a festival.

Nah not really......they're up for mayhem and destruction any time any place! jerk.gif Just look at their record back in the home country.

Let's face it, there are tons of idiots not just Farangs. Far too often, days and days before Songkran is even supposed to start, I see loads of "Thai" teenagers throwing buckets of ice water in the faces of unsuspected motorcycle drivers going 60-80 k/p/h. To me this is much worse than a guy bringing an expensive camera into an area full of drunks and not expecting his camera to get wet. I mean we are talking about possibly taking a life, versus maybe damaging property.

Anyway, I actually walked down to Loi Kroh before heading to Mad Dog for lunch, and sure there was a few idiots, but for the most part I thought it was mostly good clean fun. All it takes is one idiot (to shoot a little girl, camera, etc.) for some to quickly label ALL as idiots.

Anyway, I actually walked down to Loi Kroh before heading to Mad Dog for lunch, and sure there was a few idiots, but for the most part I thought it was mostly good clean fun. All it takes is one idiot (to shoot a little girl, camera, etc.) for some to quickly label ALL as idiots.

Yes, I really agree with that. Also you tend to notice the idiots (Farang or Thai) a lot more then the people who do behave, which is actually a very large majority.