Deaths Of U.S. Coast Guard Members At Alaska Base Likely Homicides

News_Editor

Deaths of U.S. Coast Guard members at Alaska base likely homicides 2012-04-14 03:40:06 GMT+7 (ICT) KODIAK ISLAND, ALASKA (BNO NEWS) -- The shooting deaths of two U.S. Coast Guard members at a communications station on Kodiak Island off Alaska are likely the result of a double homicide and not a murder-suicide, officials said on Friday. No arrests have been made yet.Two U.S. Coast Guard members were found shot dead on Thursday at the Coast Guard Communications Station in Kodiak, the main city on Kodiak Island, which is separated from the Alaska mainland by the Shelikof Strait. The discovery prompted a precautionary lockdown at the base and nearby schools."The Coast Guard has been informed by the FBI that they are treating this investigation as a double homicide," the Seventeenth District of the U.S. Coast Guard said in a brief statement on Friday, giving few other details. "There is no evidence to suggest these deaths are the result of a murder-suicide."The victims have been identified as Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class James Hopkins, an electronics technician, and Richard Belisle, a civilian employee and retired Coast Guard chief petty officer. "As an organization with roots in saving lives and a focus on protecting people, this tragic event has shocked us all," said Rear Adm. Thomas Ostebo, commander of the district. No arrests have been made as of Friday and authorities have advised all residents in Kodiak to use 'reasonable safety precautions' and to report any suspicious activity to local law enforcement. An FBI spokesman previously said there is no evidence to suggest the shootings are related to terrorism. tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-14

This is tragic. I can't imagine why anyone would do this, unless they had some personal issue with the victims. They were supposedly in a secure area with limited access so you'd think the list of suspects would be pretty small.

Yes this is horrible. I live on Kodiak and Richard Belisle was a friend. We are an island where every road is a dead end and such a small town ....we only have ONE stop light .... it is very rare for something like this to happen. Its been 10 yrs since we've had a murderso this kind of thing touches everyone in our community. This happened on Federal land so its a Federal Crime so FBI is on the case. We all think the FBI will eventually find out who did it and why but the only person left alive that knows what really happened is the shooter and he may never tell the truth.

When someone is murdered it sure feels different than if they die in an accident. Condolences to his wife and daughter.....

RIP Rich....we will miss you

This is tragic. I can't imagine why anyone would do this, unless they had some personal issue with the victims. They were supposedly in a secure area with limited access so you'd think the list of suspects would be pretty small.

Tragic indeed. I agree that there should be a very short list of suspects. Condolences to families and friends.

Sorry to hear that, Kodan. I've been to Kodiak Island before on a small Navy ship many years ago. It's a beautiful place. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for your thoughts. Its hard to believe he is gone.

And thank you for your service USNret.