Need Brunch Buffet - Emergency

lukeskywalker

OK, bad planning on my part. Tomorrow is my gf's b-day and I want to take her to a nice brunch after sleeping in. I know there's a lot of Sunday buffets around so can anyone give suggestions? She is a small girl and doesn't each much and isn't really impressed with decorum so a high-baht place is not mandatory.

Thanks!!! Save me!!!

OK, let me clue you in. Women may say they don't want you to make a fuss over their birthday, but secretly they do, especially early in a dating relationship. She's trying to show you that she's frugal and isn't high maintenance, but a few low-cost thoughtful actions would really go a long way.

First off -- suggest she go to a hair salon to for a shampoo and style on her special day after you wake from sleeping in. Thai ladies love to have someone else "do" their hair.

Be sure to tell her how nice she looks afterwards, even if you can't tell much difference from the way she looks every day.

Then call one of those aircon metered taxis if you don't have a car. A fairly cheap luxury that will keep her new hair-do looking good and insure that she arrives at lunch looking fresh and cool.

Then go to one of those Sunday buffets at a hotel -- maybe the old, reliable Holiday Inn. Do not under any condition go to someplace that is doing a "traditional English Sunday roast" That concept is totally foreign to Thai women plus those places don't have aircon and the clients are mostly western.

Then bring along a nice gift. Doesn't have to be expensive, just thoughtful. Maybe a pretty new scarf/shaw to wrap around her lovely shoulders because she'll be cold with all that aircon.

Why are you people so complicated? Why don't you just say what you want and be happy when you get it?

• Like 1

OK, let me clue you in. Women may say they don't want you to make a fuss over their birthday, but secretly they do, especially early in a dating relationship. She's trying to show you that she's frugal and isn't high maintenance, but a few low-cost thoughtful actions would really go a long way.

First off -- suggest she go to a hair salon to for a shampoo and style on her special day after you wake from sleeping in. Thai ladies love to have someone else "do" their hair.

Be sure to tell her how nice she looks afterwards, even if you can't tell much difference from the way she looks every day.

Then call one of those aircon metered taxis if you don't have a car. A fairly cheap luxury that will keep her new hair-do looking good and insure that she arrives at lunch looking fresh and cool.

Then go to one of those Sunday buffets at a hotel -- maybe the old, reliable Holiday Inn. Do not under any condition go to someplace that is doing a "traditional English Sunday roast" That concept is totally foreign to Thai women plus those places don't have aircon and the clients are mostly western.

Then bring along a nice gift. Doesn't have to be expensive, just thoughtful. Maybe a pretty new scarf/shaw to wrap around her lovely shoulders because she'll be cold with all that aircon.

Why are you people so complicated? Why don't you just say what you want and be happy when you get it?

As I said at the beginning of the posting, if it's early in a dating relationship, she won't say what she wants because

1. she wants to appear frugal

2. she doesn't want to appear high maintenance

----and-----

3. everyone like to be delighted with an unexpected pleasure, especially on their birthday

The things I suggested aren't expensive, they just require a modicum of advanced thought -- something more than rolling over after a great night in bed and saying "oh yeah! Almost forgot. Today is your birthday. So, what do you want to do?"

• Like 2

Since it's the primal instinct of the human female to check the ability of the male to provide for herself and the possible children, there is no way to avoid the mundane courting process, but luckily the problem is easily solved. Go get a couple of bbq-sticks from a hawker and hide them in the fridge, nuke in the microwave next morning. Voila, superman. And back between sheets it goes, gotta burn them calories.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

As I said at the beginning of the posting, if it's early in a dating relationship, she won't say what she wants because

1. she wants to appear frugal

2. she doesn't want to appear high maintenance

----and-----

3. everyone like to be delighted with an unexpected pleasure, especially on their birthday

The things I suggested aren't expensive, they just require a modicum of advanced thought -- something more than rolling over after a great night in bed and saying "oh yeah! Almost forgot. Today is your birthday. So, what do you want to do?"

She want to "appear frugal and easy to please" ? Well is she? Or is she deceitful? wacko.png

Why don't you all appear just as you in fact are?

Don't you think that would be easier and save a whole lot of dicking around?

Given that tomorrow is the final Songkran day, I'd say a meter taxi is more than a simple luxury, after doing her hair. wink.png

Love your post otherwise, excellent points and further proof that Thai women really aren't that different from all other flavors of the world. :thumbsup:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thank you. I copied your post and put it in my calendar a couple days before my girlfriends birthday.

Maybe this is the answer you are looking for:

1. The Grandview Hotel has a daily buffet, 159 Baht, mix of Thai and Western. Food is very good. Thais love it there. Overall very good value and dependable (although we had what could only be described as a bizarre experience there last week). I'm sure it was a one off as I've been there perhaps 25 times over the years and always had a good experience. 11:30-14:30. Best to get there around 12:30 or so.

2. The Siripanna Hotel has an International buffet advertised for 189 Baht. I haven't tried it but have tried other promotions there and the food was excellent. Mix of Thai and Western and very beautiful atmosphere.

2. Shangri La has always had an excellent buffet and on Sundays they used to include a barbeque and swimming in their beautiful pool along with the price. Food is first-class, mix of Thai, Western and Japanese, large dessert selection, and beautiful grounds. Don't recall the price, maybe 399-599???

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

Given that tomorrow is the final Songkran day, I'd say a meter taxi is more than a simple luxury, after doing her hair. wink.png

Love your post otherwise, excellent points and further proof that Thai women really aren't that different from all other flavors of the world. thumbsup.gif

Would you let her in your gentelmens club?

Go Grandview. elektrified has it down on this one, placing it top of the list.

Forget the other options, too farang.

Grandview has western food, sushi, Lanna local cuisine.

Very popular with Thais, farang and mixed couples.

Go west on Huay Kaew to NimbleHymen (Super Highway).

Make a right headed north.

You'll pass Grandview- it's on the east side of the divided superhighway.

Go up to the next turn around, make a U turn....voila.

Buy her some flowers on the way; sorry Nancy the hair option too long and convoluted and no appt on Songkran weekend- no can do.

And tell us how it turned out. smile.png

Go Grandview. elektrified has it down on this one, placing it top of the list.

Forget the other options, too farang.

Grandview has western food, sushi, Lanna local cuisine.

Very popular with Thais, farang and mixed couples.

Go west on Huay Kaew to NimbleHymen (Super Highway).

Make a right headed north.

You'll pass Grandview- it's on the east side of the divided superhighway.

Go up to the next turn around, make a U turn....voila.

Buy her some flowers on the way; sorry Nancy the hair option too long and convoluted and no appt on Songkran weekend- no can do.

And tell us how it turned out. smile.png

Nimble Hymen. I know where you stole that from McG. lolwai.gif

Looking out of my condo window, I see three hair neighborhood hair salons that have remainded open during Songkran. Maybe it's just so the staff can play water outfront, but I talked with the lady who does my hair and she said she does good business during Songkran, latter in the day, with women who want a shampoo and style. Incidentally, you don't need an appointment to get this service at most salons and it doesn't take long -- maybe 30 - 45 minutes. I know some ladies with long hair who go to the salon everyday for a shampoo and style. The cost is amazingly low at a neighborhood salon, something like 60 - 80 baht. I'd go frequently if I had long hair to maintain.

Might be a bit tricky with Songkran luke, you could maybe postpone? If not, then if you dont have a car, then as others have said, a taxi meter would be the way to go. Not sure how bad the traffic will be though. Good luck and well done for realising that it DOES mean a lot to women to have important dates remembered.

<snipped a bit to keep the post short>

Brilliantly put Nancy!

I honestly dont get why some men havent worked this out! Women are made up totally different from guys. The differences in thinking and body language etc, are well studied and documented. The problem is it seems women are the ones reading about it, whilst most men i guess consider it wummins rubbish! So then, they shoot themselves in the foot by not realising that a little bit of research and understanding will be like being given a key to a womans heart and adoration. His relationship would be gold!

There is a funny saying that whatever you give a woman, she multiplies:

If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby.

If you give her a house, she'll give you a home.

If you give her groceries,she'll give you a meal.

If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.

She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her.

So - if you give her any crap, you will receive a ton of ****. tongue.png

We DO care about birthday,Valentines, anniversaries, etc, etc, and IF we say we arent bothered (which often is the case) know that it ISNT true. Dont think about the sense or logic in this, in mans thinking, there is none, we have our reasons, and all you need to really record is that yes, important dates DO matter to us. For better or worse we deal in subtleties, We may even point out things for weeks leading up to an important event, but you didnt clock it. Ie: at one point i kept stopping often at flowers i saw and would point out how beautiful they are, and mention how i love to get flowers, and what my favorite flowers are, and, as frivolous as it is, and would be so nice to receive some time on a special occasion. Did my bf pick up on that, lol no..! After the "special day" went past and totally unplanned for, i said to him that any significant date is a day i would like us do to something that marks the occasion. Doesnt mean spending lots of money, means just doing something! The actual gesture means more to women than men realise.

So guys, think about it this way, even if any special date seems silly to you, if you forget or do nothing, you will get a stale wife/gf, like the air has been let out of her bounce. If you make her feel special, youve actually given YOURSELF the biggest gift of all. Youve given yourself a loving, adoring, passionate woman because she feels loved. You will get back tenfold what you give (well unless shes a spoiled selfish woman that is!)

Good luck luke, hope you both have a lovely day!

• Like 2

Haven't lived in BKK, just wondering if the western high maintenance plague has already infiltrated the minds of the youth there ? You know, first it's a cake, then a Porsche, five million sinsod and a couple of weeks later 50% of net wealth ?

Guess I've been lucky since the females I've spent time with have been happy enough just for the time being spent together.

Umm.. I still think a few guys might be left to ponder the "what ifs" after reading the special instructions from NancyL or Thailand.. just to prove you have a strong relationship or not

Edited by ARISTIDE

Putting a reminder on the mobile, phones calender with an alarm, no, but fussing about for weeks or spending excessive amounts of money on a reoccurring instance such as a birthday (unless it's the 100th or some such more special event) surely is.

The buffet OP was looking for sounds normal, an all day catering would be an overkill IMHO. Wouldn't spend a second with someone who secretly awaits princess treatment in her brain and then blows up when it's not instinctively delivered by the prince on a white horse - candidate. Like I mentioned, haven't seen that behavior in Thailand, but wouldn't be surprised if the westernization had brought it to some circles already.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the answer you are looking for:

1. The Grandview Hotel has a daily buffet, 159 Baht, mix of Thai and Western. Food is very good. Thais love it there. Overall very good value and dependable (although we had what could only be described as a bizarre experience there last week). I'm sure it was a one off as I've been there perhaps 25 times over the years and always had a good experience. 11:30-14:30. Best to get there around 12:30 or so.

No offense to the poster of the above but I would probably avoid the Grandview Hotel buffet. My girlfriend and I tried it because of the recomendations we read on ThaiVisa and were disappointed. My girlfriend is a Thai person who most certainly did not love it and, infact, swore she would not return. The best food I had there was mediocre, the majority a notch below. It's not that the food is awful, it's just that it is best described as "hotel food." It looks appealing and is designed to be inoffensive and inexpensive rather than good. Certainly not the place to take someone for a birthday meal. Haveing said that, I wouldn't think a buffet is a proper place for a birthday meal anyway unless you have big plans for the evening or it was specifically requested.

My tastes do tend to differ from those of many members here so they may not be entirely in line with you and your girlfriends tastes. I also don't like Hinlay Curry House and, while I enjoy the Dukes on occassion, hardly consider it to be great food. In short, I'm something of a blasphemer when it comes to food here on TV so keep that in mind.

Firstly--I hope that you, and your good lady, ended up having a great time and that she was duly impressed with your effort.

Also, despite the negativity shown to both Nancy L's and Eek's post by a few--I thought that they were useful, interesting opinions--any insight into your unfathomable minds is greatly appreciated. Many thanks--I will try to remember your good advice, should I need it. I do like the magnification principle, Eek--God save those of us who give you ****.

Umm.. I still think a few guys might be left to ponder the "what ifs" after reading the special instructions from NancyL or Thailand.. just to prove you have a strong relationship or not

I would suggest not asking her to go dutch as well that may just stretch it a bit. tongue.png

• Like 1

Love your post otherwise, excellent points and further proof that Thai women really aren't that different from all other flavors of the world. thumbsup.gif

NancyL is not a young slim Thai woman (think large elderly American), and I suspect knows nothing about small Thai women.

Seeing as it is Songkran, one should first find out if she is devout or not, devout Thai lady would like a trip to a temple.

Or hire a pickup truck and get yourselves driven around with a tank of water in the back and two buckets (depending on her age)

Or trip To Huay Tung Tao, all the Thai food she can eat, and watch the crazys circle the lake chucking water over each other.

However, if I were dating NancyL, Sunday buffet lunch at G&M sausages would probably be a good choice.

Edited by TommoPhysicist