Democrats read between lines of Thaksin's 'return' comment

Lite Beer

Democrats read between lines of Thaksin's 'return' comment

The Nation on Sunday

30179976-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra receives a blessing from his former ally, veteran politician Snoh Thienthong, at a ceremony to mark Songkran at a hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia, yesterday. Snoh broke ties with Thaksin after the 2006 coup but reconciled with him

Ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra's remark to red shirts in Laos that he would return to Thailand in three or four months has political significance, Democrat Party spokesman said yesterday.

Nakhon Si Thammarat MP Thep-thai Senpong said Parliament would start a new ordinary session on August 1 and Pheu Thai MPs may table a Royal amnesty bill to help Thaksin escape being jailed for his offences. He said Thaksin's three or four month timeframe matched those floated by Deputy PM Chalerm Yoobamrung and Samut Prakan MP Pracha Prasopdi.

Thepthai said he noticed that Thaksin had also shown a softer political stance by offering Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda well wishes, even though Thaksin was behind the move of "the downtrodden [phrai] to topple the elite [ammart]", leading to the unrest in 2010. Thaksin had also once remarked about a man above the Constitution, an "invisible hand", by which he meant to involve Prem, the MP said.

"Today, Thaksin has turned 360 degrees to make amends with General Prem. So there is a suspicion that he has a hidden political agenda. Since Thaksin has said that he does not see himself as Prem's opponent, we want to know to who Thaksin was referring when he talked about the ammart,'' he said.

Thepthai said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's Songkran wish calling on Thais to forgive and move forward could be interpreted as a political signal intended to help her brother return through an amnesty.

Pheu Thai Party Bangkok MP Jirayu Huangsab said Thaksin's statement that he would return within the next three or four months did not reflect the party's intentions, but was a personal view Thaksin had expressed since Samak Sundaravej was premier.

Meanwhile, Deputy Democrat Party spokesman Mallika Boonmetra-kool said she would file a complaint of malfeasance and dereliction of duty against three officials who met Thaksin in Laos and Cambodia, accusing them of failing to arrest Thaksin. The fugitive former PM faces arrest warrants in five cases: the special lottery, the Export-Import Bank's controversial loans to Burma, the Ratchadaphisek land scandal, the telecom excise-tax conversion and terrorism.

The three officials are Deputy Commerce Minister Poom Sarapol; adviser to the prime minister Suchon Chalicrua; and Witthawat Sriwihok, the Thai ambassador to Laos.

Mallika said she would also ask the party's legal team to take action against MPs who lined up to pour water on Thaksin during Songkran including Nong Bua Lamphu MP Chaiya Prom-ma, Maha Sarakham MP Yuthapong Charatsathien, Nong Khai MPs Pongpan Sunthornchai, Somkid Ban-thaisong and Chompoo Chanthatong, and Bung Kan MP Cherdpong Rat-pongkhan.

She accused the politicians of demonstrating a lack of conscience by honouring a fugitive. She said their actions had caused public confusion.

She also called on Thaksin to give Thais a Songkran gift by returning to face trial. "He should return tomorrow and not ask any fortune tellers when he can return home, as he said he wants to return to Thailand in style,'' she said.

Thepthai supported the idea, saying if Thaksin believed in the justice system, he should come back to Thailand to face trial. If he wants an amnesty, Thepthai said, Thaksin must comply with the law and declare that he does not seek the return of Bt46 billion in assets confiscated by the state.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-15

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the great unanswered question is if the oft quoted opinion of "Thaksin should return and serve his sentence" were to come true then what then? You've got a "clean slate" Thaksin on your hands with a sister as PM. Hardly an ideal situation for his Democrat etc "fan club". I can hardly see him simply buying a motorcycle combo and riding around contentedly selling luk chin in his dotage.

Let's face it. The whole thing is a great fugazi no matter what the outcome. Thai culture ( for extreme want of a better word) or whatever allowed Thaksin to become what he was. Now unfortunately it's having to suffer the consequences.

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

To me the great unanswered question is if the oft quoted opinion of "Thaksin should return and serve his sentence" were to come true then what then? You've got a "clean slate" Thaksin on your hands with a sister as PM. Hardly an ideal situation for his Democrat etc "fan club". I can hardly see him simply buying a motorcycle combo and riding around selling luk chin in his dotage.

He is a Messias, a Messias can´t go to prison.

To me the great unanswered question is if the oft quoted opinion of "Thaksin should return and serve his sentence" were to come true then what then? You've got a "clean slate" Thaksin on your hands with a sister as PM. Hardly an ideal situation for his Democrat etc "fan club". I can hardly see him simply buying a motorcycle combo and riding around contentedly selling luk chin in his dotage.

Let's face it. The whole thing is a great fugazi no matter what the outcome. Thai culture ( for extreme want of a better word) or whatever allowed Thaksin to become what he was. Now unfortunately it's having to suffer the consequences.

"fugitive former PM faces arrest warrants in five cases: the special lottery, the Export-Import Bank's controversial loans to Burma, the Ratchadaphisek land scandal, the telecom excise-tax conversion and terrorism."

By the time he finishes his sentences for that lot, he'll be dead. Or do you expect the AG/police/DSI to come up with some convoluted and fantastic (literally) reasons why they won't be pressed, as with Yingluk's perjury?

To me the great unanswered question is if the oft quoted opinion of "Thaksin should return and serve his sentence" were to come true then what then? You've got a "clean slate" Thaksin on your hands with a sister as PM. Hardly an ideal situation for his Democrat etc "fan club". I can hardly see him simply buying a motorcycle combo and riding around selling luk chin in his dotage.

He is a Messias, a Messias can´t go to prison.

the last one we nailed on the cross, why we can't do it with this one as well?

• Like 1

PM Chalerm Yoobamrung has been very quiet. He must be up to something.

Uh huh. Maybe a vacation for Songkran?

It is rumoured Chalerm likes to take his family to a remote location with very few police for their holidays. It lowers the possibility that they will murder anybody newsworthy.

• Like 2

PM Chalerm Yoobamrung has been very quiet. He must be up to something.

Perhaps he is hoping that, following the Hat Yai bomb, nobody remembers his unfortunate/silly "minor symbolic act" comment about the Iranians in Bangkok ?

Thai politicians follow the money and and the power manipulations. Pigs to trough, comes to mind. In the trough are no-bid contracts, promotions for kids who shoot cops, accolades and back slaps for switching fields when the manure smells sweeter in the field next door - all sorts of offal and pearls mixed with swine poop. Pardon me while I puke in my spitoon.

Meanwhile: what are Thai politicians doing about environmental issues, alternative power options, hill tribers with no nationality, jet ski extortionists (?) ....the list goes on like the trail of slime which follows Chalerm and Shinawatre family members.

You must really love it here.

• Like 1

"fugitive former PM faces arrest warrants in five cases: the special lottery, the Export-Import Bank's controversial loans to Burma, the Ratchadaphisek land scandal, the telecom excise-tax conversion and terrorism."

By the time he finishes his sentences for that lot, he'll be dead. Or do you expect the AG/police/DSI to come up with some convoluted and fantastic (literally) reasons why they won't be pressed, as with Yingluk's perjury?

They will say all the cases are politically motivated to get Thaksin,

and all political cases after 2006 are amnestied.

We of course know they had to wrest the field from his domineering control to even get these legitimate cases heard, so the political argument is just crap, but that appears the game plan afoot.

They will say all the cases are politically motivated to get Thaksin,

and all political cases after 2006 are amnestied.

We of course know they had to wrest the field from his domineering control to even get these legitimate cases heard, so the political argument is just crap, but that appears the game plan afoot.

Are any of his cases related to wrong doings after 2006?

Sounds like some Democrats are making it up as they go along. Complaints about officials not arresting someone - since when did Thai officials have such legal jurisdictions in foreign countries. Threatening to take legal action against several MPs for demonstrating a lack of conscience - slippery slope there if this is now a crime. As for the comment "Thaksin has turned 360 degrees to make amends with General Prem" surely this would mean he is facing the same way he was to start with???

"Thaksin has turned 360 degrees to make amends with General Prem" surely this would mean he is facing the same way he was to start with???"

I was thinking the same thing, orac. Great observation, love it! LOL

...And yet a PM can be deposed for going on a cooking show. <deleted>?!

Samak didn't "go on a cooking show", it was his show, he was the host and he kept running it and getting paid well after he took the PMship, and then he shamelessly produced fake payslips in court.

Just think about it - the guy brings forged evidence to the court, gets busted, and yet has the balls to complain. And the guy is the sitting Prime Minister.

The cooking show itself is the least abhorrent part of all this.

...And yet a PM can be deposed for going on a cooking show. <deleted>?!

Samak didn't "go on a cooking show", it was his show, he was the host and he kept running it and getting paid well after he took the PMship, and then he shamelessly produced fake payslips in court.

Just think about it - the guy brings forged evidence to the court, gets busted, and yet has the balls to complain. And the guy is the sitting Prime Minister.

The cooking show itself is the least abhorrent part of all this.

Don't you know we are supposed to forget the pertinent facts and only remember the trivialities?

Regarding Samak's cookery show, I seem to remember a British PM who was a choir master who gave public performances, a royal family that own racehorses which compete publicly and commercially, a Royal consort who competes in carriage dressage events, several princesses and husbands that compete in public horse shows, Middle Eastern rulers that own football clubs, even in one country a king who competes in yacht races and used to broadcast his jazz band.

I see nothing wrong with any of these activities, just as I see nothing wrong with Samak's show, by all account a popular public service.

Regarding Samak's cookery show, I seem to remember a British PM who was a choir master who gave public performances, a royal family that own racehorses which compete publicly and commercially, a Royal consort who competes in carriage dressage events, several princesses and husbands that compete in public horse shows, Middle Eastern rulers that own football clubs, even in one country a king who competes in yacht races and used to broadcast his jazz band.

I see nothing wrong with any of these activities, just as I see nothing wrong with Samak's show, by all account a popular public service.

You may look at the law which bans elected officials from accepting gratuities and payments for the obvious reasons. You might investigate who produced the cooking show.

But it is icing on the cake when the lying sack of <deleted> stands up in court and perjures himself. I'd ask if you know any elected officials who have done the same and stayed in office, but the answer is glaring, recent and local.

When he is serving his sentence there will be other charges brought up against him.

That is the reason he fled the country. He could have stayed and appealed the conviction but that would have given the Government time to bring the other charges. That is why he and his subjects want a blanket amnesty.

When he is serving his sentence there will be other charges brought up against him.

That is the reason he fled the country. He could have stayed and appealed the conviction but that would have given the Government time to bring the other charges. That is why he and his subjects want a blanket amnesty.

and there are a lot charges.....I don't know, do they expire? Can he wait outside till the other charges are expired?

But I think it will be easier to change the constitution.....

2012 Constitution

1) Thaksin is not guilty

2) who has evidence or proof against Thaksin shall be punished for defamation and sit in jail forever.

• Like 1

Sounds like some Democrats are making it up as they go along. Complaints about officials not arresting someone - since when did Thai officials have such legal jurisdictions in foreign countries. Threatening to take legal action against several MPs for demonstrating a lack of conscience - slippery slope there if this is now a crime. As for the comment "Thaksin has turned 360 degrees to make amends with General Prem" surely this would mean he is facing the same way he was to start with???

Exactly

Makes no difference if he was Hitler Thai's have no authority on foreign soil. Thaksin never turns any degrees unless they are 360 and wind up back where they started. The man is a legend in his own mind and a few million morons.

• Like 1

Exactly

Makes no difference if he was Hitler Thai's have no authority on foreign soil. Thaksin never turns any degrees unless they are 360 and wind up back where they started. The man is a legend in his own mind and a few million morons.

:lol:

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com