Warning - Pattaya Now Has Alcohol Breath Testing In Daily Use

misterhe

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I suggest everyone to avoid to drive drunked in Pattaya for at least 1 month, wait & see !

bah.gif What about never ever Drink and Drive and not just 1 single month ????

Totally agree. I watched a young boy I knew get killed by a drunk driver when he hit him while he was cycling home from football practice.It was a day I will never forget having to run to get his mother and tell her he had been in an accident. He died in her arms 5 mins later. Now how many drink drivers would like someone knocking on your door to tell you this news if it was one of your family. You would be wanting to throttle them ,

How many of you would drink and drive in your own country ? Not many I bet. How many would even think they could bribe a policeman? Well why do it here.Why risk your life and probably someone elses life for the price of a taxi.

I'm sorry if you get caught but you only have yourselves to blame but until the bib really enforces this I am sure it is going to continue for a long time. Life is cheap in Thailand.

Excellent point. I'm sure there are a lot of young children on the road at the times and areas where they have roadblocks. The Siam Countryclub - Nongprue Road crossing where they have a checkpoint, which is just next to Planet Football, a local sports facility, they don't start checking anyone until around midnight, and they go home again a few hours later. I'm sure that makes a big difference.

Approximately how many beers does the limit equate to?

If I venture out I have a maximum of three draft beers over a period of about 90 minutes and usually ride my motorcycle home.

I'm a big guy and never feel anywhere remotely drunk after three drafts.

I have been stopped many times not at Pattaya Tai but at the Soi Kaow Noi/Railway road junction but have never been breathalysed they just ask me for my license.

Nothing to do with feeling drunk....you can still be over the limit...3 beers over 90 minutes could put you over the limit.

rule of thumb to be 100% sure you are not over the limit for every beer consumed allow 1 hour before driving a vehicle

coming soon - speed cameras! they just need to work out the speed limits on every road first...

They are already on the Motorway 7 and the elevated No 34, or at least the signs are.

Just imagine the revenue if they installed "Traffic Light Cameras", like they have in the UK. One yard over the white line and you are nailed.

Just small update from a guest in the hotel who was also arrested for DUI.

Was kept locked up for 2 days, this morning at 10 am was taken to the court and were held there all day.

Police also confiscated wallets, passports and phones, strangely enough according to him, they did not search the pockets.

From his words, him and another foreigner who are suppose to fly out tomorrow started to make some noise to some court official,

apparently the same court official, took their money 2700 baht, called police station and both were allowed to return to police station to

collect their passports.

He was not issued with any papers, no receipts or anything and no stamp or any notes in the passport.

One thing he mentioned to be odd, they expected people to pay the fines on the spot, but had confiscated their walletswhistling.gif

(so i guess good idea to keep some cash in the pockets.)

Another little problem, bike was also impounded(bike he rented from us also) but no document or any paper trail showing where the bike is, or anything at all.

Hope this bit of information helps

Edited by phl

^ Phl thanks for reporting back

This is just another example of how much damage drinking and driving can do. Not just for the person themselves but also the persons who are involved (either directly or indirect).

Phl, I sincerely wish you will get your Rental Bike back without too much hassle.

:jap:

This is just another example of how much damage drinking and driving can do. Not just for the person themselves but also the persons who are involved (either directly or indirect).

Phl, I sincerely wish you will get your Rental Bike back without too much hassle.

jap.gif

:), i am sure the moment we pay the impound fees and some other fees for the fees, will get the bike, but unsure in what condition.

I am being rather helpful with the guest and offered for him to wait till tomorrow or Friday to go to police station together and sort it out, but i think many bike rental places would simply demand the full payment for the bike yet still try to get it back after the customer leaves.

Cor Blimey! That's enough to put you off drinking for good. Here in Dubai it's zero tolerance. A whiff of alcohol is enough to get you banged up for the night, minimum. Problem is now a small beer makes me feel unwell, so any suggestions on how I can get off this darned wagon and start enjoying beer and red wine again? The deadline target is 24 May when I visit BKK for R&R. Sorry if this is slightly off topic but by the sounds of it there are some voices of experience out there!

jap.gif

If the police kept/sold the bikes, might keep the lessees from renting to drunks!

jap.gif

If the police kept/sold the bikes, might keep the lessees from renting to drunks!

Are you in possession of some NEW device which determines if potential customer is a drunk? what a silly post to makeblink.png

• Like 1

The problem is not getting back. The problem is getting INTO town from the darkside.

I just call K.Peenah (spelling) He was Lee's taxi guy. picks me up at my front door and drops me where ever on the brightside for 200b. also has brought me home if he is awake when I call.

jap.gif

The lessees are responsible for the renters action ?? <deleted> ?

On the same level, Chang or Singha or Heineken or San Miguel are responsible for people DUI ?

Edit : //

Don't forget Leo ...

Edited by MJCM

jap.gif

So Chang or Singha or Heineken or San Miguel is responsible for people DUI ?

MJCM, do you lease your beers from the makers ?.

Interesting concept, should I get my lawyer onto them pay for the nurofen I need the next morning, when the lease is up how do I return the product ?

Maybe take it further and hit up the water company they use to make the beer !!!!

Edited by Spoonman

jap.gif

So Chang or Singha or Heineken or San Miguel is responsible for people DUI ?

MJCM, do you lease your beers from the makers ?.

Interesting concept, should I get my lawyer onto them pay for the nurofen I need the next morning, when the lease is up how do I return the product ?

Maybe take it further and hit up the water company they use to make the beer !!!!

cheesy.gif

You got me before I somehow realized my mistake. But never the less Yes I do lease my Beer, as my wife sells the empty bottles back to the Beer Company wink.png

Don't get me wrong,

I ain't no Saint, I do drink, but I will never ever will Drink and Drive. I have seen too many accidents where Alcohol was involved. That was enough for me.

Edit: //

Maybe everyone needs a wake up call, and I hope they get it sooner or later. Please people don't drink and drive, you hurt more people then you please with it.

Edited by MJCM

For the people moaning about transport in Pattaya being harsh. I just look at it like this if you have money to drink you have money to pay for transport back too. If you don't stay home, saving a buck is not an excuse for drunk driving. I live a bit further out in BKK if i take a taxi home and back from lets say Nana i pay 400-450 too (going and back in total). I don't drink anymore but i did in the past but i wasn't stupid enough to drive my bike or car.

• Like 2

Ok another update:

Guest decided to go to police station by himself to get the bike back.

From his words: No one seemed to have any clue what he was talking about, nor they had any desire to assist.

By pure luck, taxi driver outside started a conversation with him, and took him to impound lot, where the bikes are kept.

He paid 300 baht and bike was released, again no paper work or anything, to make matters worse, they did not ask for his ID, Green Book or any proof that the bike did belong to him,

I repeat it again, police had no knowledge of where the bike was and who was responsible.

It would appear that the process is by far much worse than the actual punishment

Nice bit of writing. My SEO copywriter would be proud.

The problem is they only enforce this once or twice per year when the big guns comes down from Bangkok. The rest of the year, even if you can hardly stand, they cops will help you into your car and sent you on your way with a smile and "please drive careful". Consistency is needed.

It is also first time I've heard they don't take bribes. The previous occasions it seems you were guided to a table where you were told "pay 10,000 baht now or go to court". Expensive, but a way out. But that's again the selective enforcement that seems to be common here.

I think the treatment is outrageous and I'm sure not providing you a translation of the proceedings and what you sign is probably against a dozen international human rights conventions.

Do you have any idea what a taxi charge you to take you from downtown to the dark side? Not all of us live in downtown Pattaya.

I live in siam royal view.I get a baht bus service that takes care of the hotel down the road near the railway crossing.2 hundred baht in tuk tuk.Would cost less if i took motorbike taxi but what is a hundred baht. From walking street back to home at 4-6 in the morning a tuk tuk costs me 3 hundred baht.

So 5 hundred baht.Which is nothing if you compare it to having a accident or causing someones death while in your car or on motorbike.

It certainly is better spending 5 hundred baht then getting locked up for the night or even worse dying.If you got a moto taxi probably hundred baht to walking street and 1-2 hundred baht going home.

People complain about that but will have no problem spending 2-10 thousand baht on a good night out.

dont drink and drive not worth it

Except that it's highway robbery to charge those rates in Thailand. Yes, it is supply and demand, but at the same time it's BS. Much like the TukTuk rates in Phuket.

Nice bit of writing. My SEO copywriter would be proud.

The problem is they only enforce this once or twice per year when the big guns comes down from Bangkok. The rest of the year, even if you can hardly stand, they cops will help you into your car and sent you on your way with a smile and "please drive careful". Consistency is needed.

It is also first time I've heard they don't take bribes. The previous occasions it seems you were guided to a table where you were told "pay 10,000 baht now or go to court". Expensive, but a way out. But that's again the selective enforcement that seems to be common here.

I think the treatment is outrageous and I'm sure not providing you a translation of the proceedings and what you sign is probably against a dozen international human rights conventions.

Do you have any idea what a taxi charge you to take you from downtown to the dark side? Not all of us live in downtown Pattaya.

I live in siam royal view.I get a baht bus service that takes care of the hotel down the road near the railway crossing.2 hundred baht in tuk tuk.Would cost less if i took motorbike taxi but what is a hundred baht. From walking street back to home at 4-6 in the morning a tuk tuk costs me 3 hundred baht.

So 5 hundred baht.Which is nothing if you compare it to having a accident or causing someones death while in your car or on motorbike.

It certainly is better spending 5 hundred baht then getting locked up for the night or even worse dying.If you got a moto taxi probably hundred baht to walking street and 1-2 hundred baht going home.

People complain about that but will have no problem spending 2-10 thousand baht on a good night out.

dont drink and drive not worth it

Except that it's highway robbery to charge those rates in Thailand. Yes, it is supply and demand, but at the same time it's BS. Much like the TukTuk rates in Phuket.

Sure but does that excuse drunk driving.. i would say not.

Go car pool / motorcycle pool with other farang if you dont like the prices.

Edited by robblok

So now let's get real. The cops are out there to get us. We need transport. We want to party.

First off, where can I buy a breathalyzer for self testing?

Next: would this business idea go past the taxi Mafia... you call, we send two guys on a motorcycle to drive your car home, one for the car, the other one follows to bring back the driver.

sent from my Android phone

So now let's get real. The cops are out there to get us. We need transport. We want to party.

Next: would this business idea go past the taxi Mafia... you call, we send two guys on a motorcycle to drive your car home, one for the car, the other one follows to bring back the driver.

you should of got real years ago.It is not difficult or expensive to get a number of a motorbike taxi driver who will bring you into town whenever you require

Im pretty sure it would work, but it would be in the same price range as the motorcycle taxi's 200bt or so. So where is the advantage then. People just dont want to pay those prices because they decide to spend all their money on drinking.

Good Idea BUT................ Would you trust the guys with your own car?

Im pretty sure it would work, but it would be in the same price range as the motorcycle taxi's 200bt or so. So where is the advantage then. People just dont want to pay those prices because they decide to spend all their money on drinking.

It's not just about spending all the money on drinking. I rarely go out for a drink, when I do I seldom have more than 2 or maybe 3 drinks. I would like to be 100% sure that I am not going to end up behind bars and deported if I then ride my motorbike home, and certainly have no wish to have to pay more for my trip home than on my couple of drinks.

It's not just about spending all the money on drinking. I rarely go out for a drink, when I do I seldom have more than 2 or maybe 3 drinks. I would like to be 100% sure that I am not going to end up behind bars and deported if I then ride my motorbike home, and certainly have no wish to have to pay more for my trip home than on my couple of drinks.

Sigh. Ok, pick one:

* Move to live in town instead of some backwater. Yes, you thought the backwater was cheaper. You did not calculate in transportation. Do so now.

* Get a 300 baht room for the night, or find someone who has, preferably female.

* Ask motorcycle taxi drivers if there is a police checkpoint in operation and where.

* Acquaint yourself with the back sois. Avoid checkpoints.

* Don't ever drink more than 2 drinks.

* Call your wife to pick you up.

* Do a deal with one or more motorcycle taxi drivers (get his cell number) who will give you a fair rate in return for repeat business. (You don't even know how lucky you are to HAVE plenty available motorcycle taxi drivers)

* STOP WHINING. Either on the forum, or after getting caught and getting some free Soi 9 accommodation.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Just small update from a guest in the hotel who was also arrested for DUI.

Was kept locked up for 2 days, this morning at 10 am was taken to the court and were held there all day.

Police also confiscated wallets, passports and phones, strangely enough according to him, they did not search the pockets.

From his words, him and another foreigner who are suppose to fly out tomorrow started to make some noise to some court official,

apparently the same court official, took their money 2700 baht, called police station and both were allowed to return to police station to

collect their passports.

He was not issued with any papers, no receipts or anything and no stamp or any notes in the passport.

One thing he mentioned to be odd, they expected people to pay the fines on the spot, but had confiscated their walletswhistling.gif

(so i guess good idea to keep some cash in the pockets.)

Another little problem, bike was also impounded(bike he rented from us also) but no document or any paper trail showing where the bike is, or anything at all.

Hope this bit of information helps

Thanks for the post, an eye - opener!

Makes me finally feel like a winner, having moved to Sihanukville a few years ago. burp.gif

jap.gif

Are you in possession of some NEW device which determines if potential customer is a drunk? what a silly post to makeblink.png

In most cases, it's pretty obvious! Just use your judgment...it's usually correct.

jap.gif

In most cases, it's pretty obvious! Just use your judgment...it's usually correct.

yet another silly post, trying to go for the record?thumbsup.gif