When Farangs Not Must Pay Farangprice At National Parks?,After Maried Or Us A Local Resident?

Sandman77

It has nothing to do with being "farang" or whatever race or ethnic background you are.

Simple: Thai Nationals pay one price (that means you have a Thai passport) and Foreigners (meaning those who have a passport that is not Thai) pay another price.

Simple, sorted; happy?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only once in 20 years did a ticket taker at a national park ever not give me Thai price upon presentation of a local drivers license.

Good try, but that doesn't mean much since you're a Thai citizen.

I've only been a Thai citizen for the past couple of years. I spent 20+ years as a foreigner in Thailand before that.

It has nothing to do with being "farang" or whatever race or ethnic background you are.

Simple: Thai Nationals pay one price (that means you have a Thai passport) and Foreigners (meaning those who have a passport that is not Thai) pay another price.

Simple, sorted; happy?

actually thats wrong ,other asians usually walk in unmolested

i met a canadian of korean decendancy and he could walk into most places and people would assume he was a thai speaker etc when the guy had been in north america until he was 21 (born from 2 koreans in canada

a white farang from england or uk or usa is subject to racist dual pricing ,the canadian for example was equaly as foreign as i was but we were treated differntly

a white man should pay 10 times more etc

Good lord, not again. The fact that Asians can cheat the system more easily than farangs does not make the system or anyone racist.

!

i beg to differ

judging caucasian people on appearance and charging them a higher price because of that appearance is the very definition of racism itself

imagine a black person wanted to visit an attraction in paris and he was singled out and made to pay 10 times more while his white friends

were allowed to walk through and pay the french price BECAUSE they were white ! smile.png

it would be an international scandal then ,but fine when it happens to the white man !

Edited by wana
  • Like 1

Simple, sorted; happy?

TOTALLY wrong.

Many places will charge the Thai price on production of a Thai driving license - Nong Nooch gardens and Phanum Rung historical park are two such examples.

Good lord, not again. The fact that Asians can cheat the system more easily than farangs does not make the system or anyone racist.

!

i beg to differ

judging caucasian people on appearance and charging them a higher price because of that appearance is the very definition of racism itself

imagine a black person wanted to visit an attraction in paris and he was singled out and made to pay 10 times more while his white friends

were allowed to walk through and pay the french price BECAUSE they were white ! smile.png

it would be an international scandal then ,but fine when it happens to the white man !

oh the humanity, oh the injustice. Yawwwn.

Just get a Thai drivers license and lead a happy life.

Simple, sorted; happy?

TOTALLY wrong.

Many places will charge the Thai price on production of a Thai driving license - Nong Nooch gardens and Phanum Rung historical park are two such examples.

Where l live l went to the towns local museum with the mrs, l was wearing my Tourist Police Volunteer shirt, after a lot of chat from the mrs l STILL had to pay farang price. crying.gif

Simple, sorted; happy?

TOTALLY wrong.

Where l live l went to the towns local museum with the mrs, l was wearing my Tourist Police Volunteer shirt, after a lot of chat from the mrs l STILL had to pay farang price. crying.gif

Did you show a Thai drivers license?

Why would you expect a 200 baht shirt to help?

Simple, sorted; happy?

TOTALLY wrong.

Did you show a Thai drivers license?

Why would you expect a 200 baht shirt to help?

Yes l did show my TDL, and it was a ''free'' shirt that has Tourist Police written on it and the main thing is the official Police shield emblem that tells any local it's an official garment, now pay attention, please. laugh.png .

!

i beg to differ

i have a thai licence ,had it for years and i dont even visit tourist attractions etc so for me its not an issue

its just bullshit that everyone can play the race card when it suits them except white people .........who are just told to stop whinging etc .....when they

are subjected to what would be a racist injustice in any other place to any other race .......thumbsup.gif

Yes l did show my TDL, and it was a ''free'' shirt that has Tourist Police written on it and the main thing is the official Police shield emblem that tells any local it's an official garment, now pay attention, please. laugh.png .

So you didn't even pay 200 Baht for the shirt and yet you STILL complain about paying a Farang entrance fee. :)

• Like 1

So you didn't even pay 200 Baht for the shirt and yet you STILL complain about paying a Farang entrance fee. smile.png

I have never paid any farang price: I just show my thai driving licence, speak a few words of Thai and it gets me in.

Anyway, farang do not pay an inflated price. They pay the going price. Thai's get it cheaper because . well . . it's their park. This is no different than, for example, universities in the west charging Asians and other foreigners more for their services to ensure subsidised rates for the locals.

Stop whining people.

Edited by bendix

So you didn't even pay 200 Baht for the shirt and yet you STILL complain about paying a Farang entrance fee. smile.png

My point is, l give up my time and at my own expense to help the local police and community, yet, l must pay more cos l am a different colour. I could walk around with my yellow book in my pocket but still would make no difference cos the locals do not know what it is. smile.png

!

i beg to differ

i have a thai licence ,had it for years and i dont even visit tourist attractions etc so for me its not an issue

its just bullshit that everyone can play the race card when it suits them except white people .........who are just told to stop whinging etc .....when they

are subjected to what would be a racist injustice in any other place to any other race .......thumbsup.gif

So what happens when your Korean-Canadian buddy goes to the ticket counter and says in English, "one adult, please"? The system is no longer racist then and everything is just in the world again...right?

So what happens when your Korean-Canadian buddy goes to the ticket counter and says in English, "one adult, please"? The system is no longer racist then and everything is just in the world again...right?

if he keeps his mouth shut ,he pays thai price generally

i dont know if they ask asians : Are you a thai asian or from another asian country ? in which case we have to charge you 2000thb instead of 200thb to watch the thai boxing ,can you clarify your ethnicity please ?

I have never paid any farang price: I just show my thai driving licence, speak a few words of Thai and it gets me in.

Anyway, farang do not pay an inflated price. They pay the going price. Thai's get it cheaper because . well . . it's their park. This is no different than, for example, universities in the west charging Asians and other foreigners more for their services to ensure subsidised rates for the locals.

Stop whining people.

I agree with that, but when people get things given to them much less than the fair price, the result is they treat the place with no respect. And Thai's do a lot of damage to "their" national parks. On the other hand, I am confident to say you will never see Farangs littering in Thai national parks. Perhaps Thai's need to pay a much higher price also to reduce their numbers. I have no problem paying whatever amount as long as the places are clean and not overrun by thousands of village idiots who can scrape 20 bath together.

Edited by Time Traveller

!

i beg to differ

Do realize that what you're asking is a policy change where all Thais would need to be asked for their ID card to prove their nationality, at parks and historical sites nationwide. And the benefit of this would be to catch the tiny minority of other Asians who manage not to stand out like a tourist, and to make you happy.

Don't hold your breath.

Stop whining people.

I agree with that, but when people get things given to them much less than the fair price, the result is they treat the place with no respect. And Thai's do a lot of damage to "their" national parks. On the other hand, I am confident to say you will never see Farangs littering in Thai national parks.

I see Russians littering, smoking, etc. every time I visit a national park. Unless you don't consider them farangs? Also lots of other non-farang foreigners. Chinese, anyone?

if he keeps his mouth shut ,he pays thai price generally

i dont know if they ask asians : Are you a thai asian or from another asian country ? in which case we have to charge you 2000thb instead of 200thb to watch the thai boxing ,can you clarify your ethnicity please ?

If your Korean buddy buys a ticket speaking English, he pays foreigner price. The only time he has a "racist" advantage is when he steals entrance for a price to which he is not entitled, like a little coward thief.

Stop whining people.

Poor analogy. A better one would have been Madame Tussauds or London Zoo. Everyone pays the SAME going price.

Now that sounds fair, doesn't it ?

• Like 1

Can you really imagine walking around when you go out to visit a park carrying a "Tax Receipt" - Do Thai even know what one is?

I don't just imagine it, everyone I know in this situation does it, why do you find it surprising?

Every person working legally in Thailand receives their tax receipt (no need for quotes) from their employer every year. That includes the Thais of course, so yes they know what it is.

Or do you think it's just not worth worrying about a piddling few hundred baht?

PS This sometimes even works at private places with dual pricing, like Ocean World. But less so, since the justification about tax dollars doesn't really apply.

PPS Love your user name, do you give or just receive?

Well for a nationalpark I gladly pay more or donate something if I have at least a small hope that I do something good with that money.

Private places like Ocean World which want to make more profit: I just boycot them.

Yes it would be nice to think that your 200Bt or so is going somehow in to bettering the management of the park. Not sure that it is though, judging by the state of some of these parks. Coming from Australia, I find most of these so caller parks pretty sad and don't waste my time with them, apart from a few exceptions, where I got the Thai price anyway.

I know you can't get in the big national parks in Ayutthaya with your Work Permit or Drivers Licence. They just wave you away. I lived in the city a year. Never went in once.Paid taxes in the country and get treated as you always will in Thailand you are a "falang" . Dont give them the satisfaction of being cheated. The temples in Ayutthaya which were badly damaged in last years flooding are crumbling and any money to restore is coming from UNESCO who maintains them , not any part of Thai government, so the 100 Bht they want from you when you go and look around is going in someones pocket, and actually you can see most of the sites from the roadside. Many tourists never pay to go in

Edited by KKvampire

I think it's very endearing that transam is a wannabe pretend policeman. If he was sitting next to me right now, I'd give him a pat on the head and a toffee for being a good boy.

Edited by bendix

Moderations job to tell me about staying on topic, a guy here called me a wanke_r for helping folk, plain and simple, and l cannot get an answer from him that helping a dead farangs wife makes me a wanke_r.

I think the problem here was when you posted about how you expected some sort of special treatment because you were in a TPV shirt. In all honesty though, the woman at the museum in your wife's hometown probably wouldn't know a TPV from a Yorkshire Pudding.

Your subsequent indignation and repeating over and over as to how you have helped one person in your time as a TPV has only served to re-inforce most people's opinions of them as jumped up self important fools.

The fact is that dual-pricing won't go away any time soon. Why? Because while most of us who work and live here can get away with not paying, the tour coaches full of full fee paying punters will carry on rolling in.

Jeez...you guys are making me work too hard! A WHOLE bunch of off topic and back and forth bickering posts have been removed from view. Please stay on topic and please be civil to each other. It is the forum rules, right?