Did The USA Invade Iraq For Oil?

the gentleman

Yes or NO  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It seems there are a few "people" on this board that, try to pressure us into believing that the good Ole USA (united states attacks) has only the interest of the Iraqi people in mind and that they are "helping to bring stability" to the region.

Please vote on this poll and it will be interesting to know what country you are from as well - let the poll begin! :o

Neither - it was Saddam has WMDs and is a threat to the US! - Oh, from HK

I'm not saying there were WMDs, I'm saying that was the reason given!

sure that was the reason given in the start, but we all know it wasnt about that - so now they are saying we want to "help" Iraqis. A threat to the US was obviously a throw away line - they had no military and no real weapons to speak of - I think New Zealand could of took Iraq!

But if IT wants to add the WMD part ok with me.

I do not think the USA attacked and invaded Iraq, it was the Bush-warrior who just a year ago heated up the propaganda machine in his 'State of the Union' speech 2003. May be not only for the oil, but also for his personal glory, at least I have this thought in the back of my mind.

His timing was perfect, after he had assurance from Hans Blix, that there were no WMD to be found, nor any considerable other weapons, he started the war.

I do not blame the USA for this, but him and a few of his helpers like Dumbfield (?)

However, I would appreciate the general public in the USA, not to believe everything their leader(s) say and form an own opinion. 2004 is the year to do so and to get GWB out of office.

I just have ONE question...

How is it that America is supposted to get that OIL? I mean that the oil money and OIL itself are being protected for the Iraqi people. America isn't allowed to touch it.

Think about it, the American people have already SPENT more on the war than the Iraqi's could pay back in ten years!

Greg

Sure we have an interest in oil. Was that the only reason for America's foray into Iraq? No, I don't think so. And I put a link up in another thread about a technology that, if it proves out, will end or at least seriously curtail America's requirement for imported oil over the next few decades.

Now the big oil companies may want us back in Iraq for the near future. I don't know. But I think the arguement about oil being the driving force for American foreign policy is going to come to an end, and shortly I hope.

Saddam was opportunist that saw himself as capable of conquering a large portion of the Middle East. What was actually called the Near East when I grew up. I'm not sure when the earth shifted, but apparently it did.

It may just be that Saddam, having got himself a bad reputation, was viewed as one of many potential supporters of Terrorism against the USA. And so he got the hard focus, even though he may or may not have been participating in that endeavour.

This, as many of the other threads in the Bull Pit, seems to start with a potentially reasonable question and then quickly devolve into accustations and counter-accusations about America, the legitimacy of it President, right to defend itself outside it's borders, legacies of the Cold War, until ultimately the thread simply becomes name calling with attacks on each others character and/or IQ.

Fun for some, I suppose. Not much to do with Thailand. Except in the larger sense that we all have effects on each other. So what happens concerning American actions will have some ripple effect on Thailand. Which is where I hope to hang my hat in the future and for many years to come.

Jeepz