Songkran Death Toll Hits 282 In During The 6 Day Period

webfact

Songkran Death Toll Hits 282 in During the 6 Day Period

BANGKOK: -- The six day period of the Songkran holidays reported 282 deaths and 3,059 injuries caused by road accidents.

Nakhon Si Thammarat and Surat Thani provinces had the highest road accidents with ten casualties each. Drunk driving remains the leading cause of death.

A total of 282 people were killed and 3,059 others injured in 2,872 road accidents during the six day period of the 'seven dangerous days' of the Songkran holiday, the Road Safety Directing Center reported. There were 447 accidents on April 15 alone, claiming 43 lives, and causing 463 injuries.

Drunk driving remains the leading cause of road accidents, accounting for 42.28 percent of the total. About 21.7 percent of road accidents was caused by speeding. Most accidents, approximately 83 percent, involved motorcycles. Accidents involving pick-up trucks account for about 12 percent.

The most deaths over the six-day period were reported in Nakhon Si Thammrat and Surat Thani provinces, at ten deaths each.

Chiang Rai had the most accidents, at 106. Nong Bua Lamphu was the only province without road accidents during the period, while there were twelve provinces without road fatalities.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-17

footer_n.gif

Songkran road toll rises to 282

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A total of 27 people were killed and 291 road accidents happened on the sixth of the seven dangerous Songkran holidays, a deputy director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said Tuesday.

Chatpong Chatputi, deputy director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said 308 people were injured in the road accidents happened on Monday, the sixth day of the Songkran holidays. The authorities said Monday saw millions of people returning to Bnagkok.

Chatpong said 2,872 road accidents happened during six-day period and the accumulated death toll rose to 282 while 3,059 people were injured.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-17

I think these numbers are much much lower than reported here , i saw 2 mototorbike with car collisions outside my home , none were serious and i know one was taken care of with a 10,000b payment and with no police involvement ,though a visit to hospital for a few stitches was need for one casualty , these incidents must be happening by the thousand all over thailand.

Edited by osiboy

From 253 reported road deaths yesterday (5 days of the 7) to 282 on the busiest day (day six - one day before work) of the Seven Dangerous Days with about one million Thais heading to Bangkok. Pure BS.

The figure of 282 having lost their lives is terrible, so on average 47 deaths a day, but I wonder what the average is on a "normal" day on Thailands roads.

So much for the zero target.

In Thailand 124,855 people were killed in road traffic accidents between 2000 and 2010 meaning that on average there are over 12,000 deaths a year from road traffic accidents.

(http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/thailand)

approx 33 a day - but Songkran figures are incorporated into those figures also, so there's no real way of knowing the daily average from these.

-mel.

According to (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Thailand_by_year) there was about 12000 people who died from road accident in 2007 which is about 33 per day.

I have no idea what is the current figure but it appears that that number was decreasing 5% per years from 2005. Assuming this trend was sustained, there should be less than 10,000 death a year as of 2012 or about 27 per day.

Aiming for 0 during the most critical period of the year is obviously not realistic.

Songkran seems to increase the death tool by about 40%.

Concentrating the prevention efforts towards the other 360 days of the year might actually be a much more efficient policy although it is a much less visible/populist action and it would certainly cost much more.

There is always a trade off in politics between doing-good and looking-good.

Songkran Death Toll Hits 282 in During the 6 Day Period

----

Did anybody else clock the headline, or is it just me again?

What the heck is 'in during' a time period?

Sorry to be observant, but it's a darned HEADLINE for foreigners to read! bah.gif

-mel. whistling.gif

And again we must remember that Thailand only counts the people who die at the crash/accident site in their totals. Who knows how many death from the accidents occur in hospital. This is one way to keep the death count lower.

Or how many deaths occur by being " treated " and transported by those highly medical trained road assistances.

I was nearly a statistic. This is what happened to me today. Anybody had similar experiences? This is the new way they are robbing people - motorbike/scooter following motorbike/scooter. they follow you from five to ten centimetres behind for over 15km - forcing you to go up to speeds of 140km/hr - if you are lucky enough to reach the city they will vanish. if you veer left they veer left if you veer right they veer right. they are doing this I am told in the hope of you having anaccident or somehow stop - I don't know how stopping can be achieved unless you get rear ended. once you crash or stop they will rob you and leave you for dead. you can not stop as they are always 5cm to 10cm behind you. You can only increase your speed as they are always so close behind you - you are in fleeing mode. if you see this plate gaw gai saw reu see kaw kuat KRABI *** yamaha 135cc spark - good up to 140km/hr- I can verify this - you may want to make a will if you see this licence plate. there is a new evil here. It is the new tactic of choice to rob people. you may be better of riding a bus than hiring a bike. happy new year farang brothers and sisters. this is a good cautionary warning for your safety. this has been reported to the police today. there are some very evil hearted people out there targeting foreigners who will cause you to crash, leave you for dead and rob you. travel in pairs of scooters/motorbikes to be safe. And I have read that if you die after 24 hours of the accident it is classified as death by natural causes. However every country is entitled to their measuring yard stick. I have known many many Thais dying one week after the accident. Time to sell the scooter.

I was nearly a statistic. This is what happened to me today. Anybody had similar experiences? This is the new way they are robbing people - motorbike/scooter following motorbike/scooter. they follow you from five to ten centimetres behind for over 15km - forcing you to go up to speeds of 140km/hr - if you are lucky enough to reach the city they will vanish. if you veer left they veer left if you veer right they veer right. they are doing this I am told in the hope of you having anaccident or somehow stop - I don't know how stopping can be achieved unless you get rear ended. once you crash or stop they will rob you and leave you for dead. you can not stop as they are always 5cm to 10cm behind you. You can only increase your speed as they are always so close behind you - you are in fleeing mode. if you see this plate gaw gai saw reu see kaw kuat KRABI *** yamaha 135cc spark - good up to 140km/hr- I can verify this - you may want to make a will if you see this licence plate. there is a new evil here. It is the new tactic of choice to rob people. you may be better of riding a bus than hiring a bike. happy new year farang brothers and sisters. this is a good cautionary warning for your safety. this has been reported to the police today. there are some very evil hearted people out there targeting foreigners who will cause you to crash, leave you for dead and rob you. travel in pairs of scooters/motorbikes to be safe. And I have read that if you die after 24 hours of the accident it is classified as death by natural causes. However every country is entitled to their measuring yard stick. I have known many many Thais dying one week after the accident. Time to sell the scooter.

Someone driving 5-10 cm behind me would be in for a surprise.Think about which one goes down when I brake and a frontwheel touches a rearwheel.
  • Like 1

Someone driving 5-10 cm behind me would be in for a surprise.Think about which one goes down when I brake and a frontwheel touches a rearwheel.

You have a point (if it applies to small motorbikes) and when I reported it to the Police the motor taxi riders said exactly what you said. By sheer coincidence after he went straight and I went left we ended up in the same parking lot - he never guessed I was going to the same place as him, I was able to get a photo of his number plate and the apartment sticker (which he tried to cross out but was still legible) where he lives. He followed me for about 15km by my estimate, ever shift to the left or right was immediately followed. I guess it was road rage or robbery - barren road with no one on the road - have been warned by thais that the road is known for many robberies - but thought it would be ok at 1pm in the afternoon. His visor was darkened. Did not approach him in parking lot - we know how that often ends up here - throat cut. Just hope the police keep an eye on the bastard. In the UK or USA he would be doing serious jail time for that kind of behaviour but I guess they see it as a bit of fun here. Edited by heiwa

The figure of 282 having lost their lives is terrible, so on average 47 deaths a day, but I wonder what the average is on a "normal" day on Thailands roads.

In Thailand 124,855 people were killed in road traffic accidents between 2000 and 2010 meaning that on average there are over 12,000 deaths a year from road traffic accidents.

(http://www.fco.gov.u...ceania/thailand)

approx 33 a day - but Songkran figures are incorporated into those figures also, so there's no real way of knowing the daily average from these.

-mel.

Compare those figures with the American soldiers who died in the Vietnam war in 13 years: 55,000 Americans lost their lives there.

Amazing Thailand dwarfs the casualties of an all out war... and that is during peace time and having fun.

Edited by pisico

-mel.

Compare those figures with the American soldiers who died in the Vietnam war in 13 years: 55,000 Americans lost their lives there.

Amazing Thailand dwarfs the casualties of an all out war... and that is during peace time and having fun.

Yes but how many die per year in road accidents each year try 50,000, as usual going on about Thailand. I have to ask didn't any of you guys have a good time the last week or were you all camped out at home worring about accidents. There are things in life you have no control over and that is other people killing themselves in accidents. Posting facts and figures here will change nothing nor will wringing your hands over other peoples stupidty Be safe yourself enjoy your own life.

Good luck keeping up with me,if i decided to run.

You have a point (if it applies to small motorbikes) and when I reported it to the Police the motor taxi riders said exactly what you said. By sheer coincidence after he went straight and I went left we ended up in the same parking lot - he never guessed I was going to the same place as him, I was able to get a photo of his number plate and the apartment sticker (which he tried to cross out but was still legible) where he lives. He followed me for about 15km by my estimate, ever shift to the left or right was immediately followed. I guess it was road rage or robbery - barren road with no one on the road - have been warned by thais that the road is known for many robberies - but thought it would be ok at 1pm in the afternoon. His visor was darkened. Did not approach him in parking lot - we know how that often ends up here - throat cut. Just hope the police keep an eye on the bastard. In the UK or USA he would be doing serious jail time for that kind of behaviour but I guess they see it as a bit of fun here.

Is this in Phuket AGAIN!!!!!!!!!dry.png

-mel.

Yes but how many die per year in road accidents each year try 50,000, as usual going on about Thailand. I have to ask didn't any of you guys have a good time the last week or were you all camped out at home worring about accidents. There are things in life you have no control over and that is other people killing themselves in accidents. Posting facts and figures here will change nothing nor will wringing your hands over other peoples stupidty Be safe yourself enjoy your own life.

I Surprised you can say you had a good time when hundreds if not a thousand of people in your adopted country die on the roads due to a traditional songkran turned songkram.