Conversion From Visa Waiver/Tourist Visa To Non Immigration 0 Possible In Udon Thani?

I like to convert my Visa Waiver status to a Non Immigration 0 for retirement purposes.

Has any body done this - or know of somebody who has - done this successfully in Udon Thani Immigration Office?

Or converted from Tourist Visa to Non Immigration 0 in Udon Thani?

Many thanks for your help!

Hello....I have help one of my Swedish friends to convert a visawaiver to a non-o with retirement extension, it was done at Sriracha immigration with no problem, we have all paper and documents in order and he applied for a multiple reentry at the same time and the fee in total was about 7.500 THB

I think it wouldnt be any problem even at Udon immigration.

I wish you good luck.

Bengt!!

One of the lessons we all seem to learn is that the normal bureaucratic goal of standardisation does not seem to apply to the Thai visa application procedure and I suppose if it did there would be no need for these kinds of postings. In my own case I was told last week to get a non-immigrant O visa (I was told this could be obtained in Vientiane) and then apply for the O-A visa at Udon Immigration. This week I was told at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane by one officer that the rules had changed and I could find a "very clear" explanation of the papers required on their website: thaiembassy.org/vientiane. Meanwhile the same officer indicated I should get a tourist visa and apply for the O-A visa at Udon Thani. The fact I am posting this presumably underlines the over-statedness of the "very clear" claim but there is a direct pointer on their site to four documents that are required all be it if you are applying in Vientiane.

Naturally I will visit Udon Immigration next week to find out what they say I need but it would be very helpful if there is anybody who has the hands on experience recently and could share their experiences.

Edited by peter37

They were pointing out the normal requirement for long stay (retirement) O-A visa which can only be obtained in your country of residence with financials and medical and police check. They do not list O (other) for checking on retirement so a simple tourist visa would work and then you convert to non immigrant O entry inside Thailand (but may have to do in Bangkok) and later extend for retirement (this is not O-A but an extension of the non immigrant O visa entry for retirement).

• Like 1

Thanks for the post Lopburi3 and the clarification.

I would not mind travelling anywhere in Thailand to move my visa situation forward.

You seem to underline the three key issues (which certainly would seem logical) to be financials, medical and police check. I believe I can satisfy the first two while staying in Thailand but what do you think about the police check? In my case I am a UK national and wonder how on earth I could satisfy that one, notwithstanding that I do have a clean bill of health with the police of the world (so far!)

Thanks again for your input but no longer 100% clear (never was, of course). Apart from you suggesting that Bangkok may be the place to go, what proof of what do I need to present then in order to convert from tourist to non-immigrant O. The only obvious thing to me now is my passport with the 2 month tourist visa stamp inside. From your last input, Lopburi3, I see it as only leaving financial evidence which I am presuming needs to be the proof of 3-months of 800,000 baht eventually when that non-immigrant O is extended for retirement but in the initial conversion a lesser sum would do. While we are at it where does one make that extension? The same place as the conversion from tourist to non-immigrant O? Any further input would be gratefully appreciated.

All well and good then and thank you. So if there is any error in my thinking summed up below, trying to integrate what you say with my circumstances, please let me know.

1. Extend my recently acquired tourist visa in June for one month at Udon immigration.

2. Then in July (by which time my 800,000 baht will have been sitting in a Thai bank for 3 months) go to an immigration office (Bangkok works for sure maybe others and if I am really lucky Udon or Nong Khai) show my passport and proof of finance with relevant copies and recent photos. (Nothing else right?) Ask them to convert my tourist visa to Non-Immigrant O by filling in relevant form.

3. After 3 further months request extension of this for retirement at my local office.

4. Keep smiling.

Edited by peter37

You do not have to wait any time - if you have the 800k in bank today you can do today - why waste 1,900 baht for a tourist visa extension you do not need. Then after 60 days of your new 90 day non immigrant visa entry you can extend (first time only needs 60 days in account for extension).

• Like 1

A very good final tip, thank you.

As there is a reason for everything I am very intrigued to know what the reason might be as to why the Thai authorities, in the case of visa regulations, seemingly either not having or not disseminating consistent rules which is usually the precise role of bureaucrats. I would welcome an opinion if there is not a commonly known factual reason.

• 1 month later...

I had my Udon Thani immigration visit to see if they had a T86 form and could process me from tourist to Non-Immigrant “O”. I never found out if they had a T86 form but was assured by a certain official that they could do it although it would require some work. The price he stated for this was considerably more than the visa figure I have repeatedly seen quoted on the internet. Therefore, I have decided to try my luck for a sum closer to or actually on the official figure in Nong Khai immigration. However, the certain official did allude to the fact that my 800,000 baht equivalent would have to be in one single baht account and not spread across two Bangkok Bank FCD (Foreign Currency Deposit accounts) Does anybody have any experience or comments on this particular matter? “Logic” would say that if I had a letter from this Thai bank stating that I had the equivalent of 800,000 (plus) baht it should be okay although I realize I had my first taste today of logic not being part of the equation.

Edited by lopburi3
fix font

I have one more little concern that at this late stage has been brought to my attention from other posts. That being a requirement for the application for visa change to be made 21 days before the current visa expires. If they are being sticklers for this I am too late but believe if I extended my current tourist visa by 30 days then I would meet this criterion.

Well, well, well. In contrast to the “gentleman” I dealt with at Udon Immigration, the official in Nong Khai was actually a gentleman. He was doing his job and was helpful beyond his call, even though he was not able to grant me a change of visa status to non-immigrant O. Due to my current situation of living in Udon Thani he clearly stated that was an area outside his jurisdiction and I should apply at Udon immigration for that. He was too professional to enter into details about the rather extraordinary “unofficial” sum of money I was asked for beyond the official 2000 baht in the Udon office for such an application but was quite confident I could get what I wanted by applying at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. I had suggested I perhaps go to Bangkok. He kindly looked through my papers and indicated that in his opinion they would pass muster although he raised doubts about one aspect. Even though I have seen no specific requirement stated especially on this forum (certainly not by Lopburi3), wise counsel in these parts suggested I should have some kind of reference to my accommodation such as proof thereof. I had a letter from my hotel (actually in English) and a photocopy of the last three months of receipts. Ironically the only point this official in Nong Khai picked up on was that maybe if I had a letter from a Thai friend as a form of certification it would be “better”.

So in simple terms if I go next week to Vientaine I wonder where I will stand since I suspect the rules will have changed. I am now applying outside the kingdom and perhaps I am now no longer even requesting a change of visa status but applying for a non-immigrant O single entry.

Any comments would be very welcome as always especially as I can’t find anything on the forum on this.

You always have to use the office for the location you reside so some proof of abode can be asked (especially true upcountry). But just about anything is normally accepted. The hotel letter would be accepted most places - but some may actually insist on a lease agreement for full time stay as they feel that is what you are asking for with a retirement extension of stay request. But for conversion at Bangkok do not believe anything would be required. But if you are at border it would likely be much easier to just visit Vientiane for a single entry non immigrant O visa from them. Cost will be the same for visa itself - but you will require a visa for Laos and an overnight stay.

• Like 1

Thank you for that information. As always very useful.

Of course I would have loved to have obtained my non-immigrant O close to where I reside: Udon Thani.

Due to the fact there seems to be doubt about which immigration offices actually offer the tourist to non-immigrant O status change I merely inquired at the Udon Thani office of the possibility. I now realize that with hindsight I would have perhaps been better off downloading the TM86 form, filling everything in and presenting all the papers there as a kind of fait accompli. Unfortunately my hesitation opened the door to the head honcho inviting me into his office for a "private chat" where he explained that with some work on his part and especially a phone call to his boss together with a 20,000 baht payment the deed could be done. There was no further interchange with the man because immediately after him making this claim he said he was going to make a phone call and left me to think about it. I wordlessly, perhaps more out of shock than anything else, merely left the building.

I have no idea how the organisation works but if I were to fear the worst it is almost as if this official could thwart me at any point whether it be a real attempt at submitting the correct papers with my downloaded TM86, or a request for an extension of the visa after the first 90 days if I were to obtain the O visa in Vientiane or even thereafter at the obligatory three-monthly reporting for as long as I remain in Udon Thani. This possibly puts me in unfortunate and unwelcome territory. So I suppose the question that now sits with me (possibly ridiculous because I do not know the culture) is there any official way forward such as an appeal to another individual or other office if they should refuse me at any point along the way? I fully realize they are in the driving seat and presumably can easily think up all kinds of official sounding reasons to deny my application even if the actual reason were to be nothing other than failure to pay a sum of money determined uniquely in the Udon Thani office.

Good advice again Mr Lopburi3, thank you for all your support.

Absolutely no problem in getting the non-immigrant O in Vientiane. For further reference I took the papers you outlined would be necessary. The two points of note were that a letter and photocopy of ID of owner/manager of the hotel together with photocopies of my last 3 months receipts and a letter from Bangkok Bank (suggested after a telephone conversation between the Udon branch and head office) outlining the equivalent baht value of my foreign currency deposits (together naturally with photocopies of recently updated passbooks) were what I offered and were unquestioningly accepted.

Interestingly enough this thread was kicked off asking if transfer from tourist to non-immigrant O is possible in Udon. If you read this thread through entirely then the story so far is revealed but in a kind of sum up it would seem that the regulations indicate it should be possible and the “professional” officer in the Nong Khai office stated clearly that is where I should have done it thereby confirming that if anyone needs such who lives in Nong Khai then it can surely be done there.

However, I would read that Udon is somewhat behind the game because there is no relevant form (TM86) made obviously available thereby paving the way for the currently unscrupulous head man to step in and offer “his” services for “his” exorbitant fee. As I posted in the thread earlier it might be possible to just try taking all the documents along including a downloaded form and presenting them. If a “special” transaction fee is mentioned then one clearly has the option to go to Vientiane (or Bangkok or any other Embassy I presume) instead.

Do I assume right that when I go for the extension in 60-80 days I take along the exact same (obviously updated versions) papers?

• 2 months later...

To tie up this particular story I can bring you the final account of my trip to Udon Immigration.

Taking Lopburi’s advice again I went along after about the 60-day mark. I took with me new copies of all the documents that have been previously outlined in this thread. There was only one thing lacking: a map of the location of my accommodation. The young lady at reception was quite emphatic about that thereby indicating it is an absolute requirement, at least at the Udon office, but she unhesitatingly offered to sketch me a map in order to help me complete the papers. The immigration officer I dealt with processed all the papers without hesitation. The only fact that I was uncertain about until the visa was granted was from which precise date the visa extension would run. From the date I entered Thailand with my non-immigrant “O”, from the date of my application or from the date when my non-“O” visa would expire at the 90-day mark? Well, gratifyingly it was the third of these.

Thank you again Lopburi for all your help and I guess, as is the intention of these threads, it will be much clearer for the next person coming along to Udon immigration who wants to convert his tourist visa to a non-“O” with retirement extension. Until the rules change of course!