New Greek Restaurant

MYMA

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melbourne has the best Greek restos I've ever come across outside of Greece.

Roger that.

Athens might be a world away but Melbourne is home to the largest Greek population outside Europe.

Melbourne’s Greek Precinct adds a splash of the Mediterranean to parts of Lonsdale and Russell streets and is filled with culinary delights. Brunch on sweet baklava, lunch on savoury mezes, grab a late-night souvlaki – the choice is yours, at all hours of the day or night.

Coffee addicts will find a traditional brew but brace yourself: Greek coffee is short and bitter, strong stuff that will help you stay wide-eyed into the small hours at one of the nightclubs playing the latest in Greek dance music for the young - the young at heart.

Locals and tourists alike have discovered the wonders of the Greek Precinct’s magnificent surrounds and al fresco dining under the stars. If you bypass the footpath tables and plunge deep into the shops you’ll find everything from magazines, music and jewellery to clocks and divine religious icons – all imported from the land of the gods.

If celebrations are your style, you won’t want to miss the annual Antipodes Festival, which takes place in April and May each year and includes a street party to celebrate all things Greek.

Mama Falafel is about as close as we're going to get in Chiangers.. :o

Certainly plenty of Greeks in Australia, Melbourne has the second largest Greek population in any city outside of Athens.

Personally apart from the lamb, which has to be fresh, I can take or leave Greek food. The Italians do tomato sauce far better. The goatcheese and olives salad isn't bad though and I had some fried white bait once that were great.

Certainly never seen the "wrapped lamb" called anything else but Yiros in Australia. They try to take credit for the little skinless sausages as well, chevapchichis, (spell check doesn't like that at all) but they're really from the former Yugoslavia.

Perhaps after 328 beers and a few bangs to the head with a durian I might be persuaded to try Greek , but as a sober individual I wouldnt consider it in a million years.

:o

You're obviously not from Melbourne are you..Mate, you don't know what your missing. Sensational if done right. :D

Hmmmmmmmm , I was not referring to the food Austhaied by the way . But glad to hear that the the folks in Melbourne seem to " do it right " and that its " sensational " . :D

Certainly plenty of Greeks in Australia, Melbourne has the second largest Greek population in any city outside of Athens.

Personally apart from the lamb, which has to be fresh, I can take or leave Greek food. The Italians do tomato sauce far better. The goatcheese and olives salad isn't bad though and I had some fried white bait once that were great.

Certainly never seen the "wrapped lamb" called anything else but Yiros in Australia. They try to take credit for the little skinless sausages as well, chevapchichis, (spell check doesn't like that at all) but they're really from the former Yugoslavia.

I grew up in Brunswick (little Athens) and they are called Souvlaki in those parts. Gyros is what the rich yuppies from the other side of town used to call them ..

I looked at doing Greek food before. The big problem here is getting a good supply of affordable lamb.

Last year I came back to the 'Rai through Chai Praken. Plenty of skinny looking "lambs" up that way. If you knock their horns off no one would know the difference. :o

There are a bunch of very reasonably priced middle-eastern restaurants -how do they manage to do it?

They serve very little quality lamb. Most I have eaten has been locally-reared, stringy goat meat.

Compare the price of decent lamb with pork or chicken. There is a vast price differential that the majority of tight-fisted farang in CM are simply not willing to pay for.

There are a bunch of very reasonably priced middle-eastern restaurants -how do they manage to do it?

They serve very little quality lamb. Most I have eaten has been locally-reared, stringy goat meat.

Compare the price of decent lamb with pork or chicken. There is a vast price differential that the majority of tight-fisted farang in CM are simply not willing to pay for.

We should all chip in and start our own ThaiVisa.com sheep farm. I'll supply the border collies.. :o

Edited by Austhaied

Nothen like a good souva from sydney rd.

Anyone come accross a really good greek salad in these parts - with decent feta cheese and bitter olives?

I occasionally make my own for certain gatherings... but starting from scatch, all the right ingredients cost upwards of two thousand baht.

Anyone come accross a really good greek salad in these parts - with decent feta cheese and bitter olives?

I occasionally make my own for certain gatherings... but starting from scatch, all the right ingredients cost upwards of two thousand baht.

The Dukes Greek salad is the same as we would get in Sydney Rd.. Although the Kalamata olives are just OK.

The Dukes Greek salad is the same as we would get in Sydney Rd.. Although the Kalamata olives are just OK.

The Greek salad I was served at the Duke's contained no kalamata olives, just tinned black olives (Spanish I'd wager). With romaine lettuce -- first I've seen in a Greek salad, don't think you'd see that in Sydney (certainly not in Melbourne, the world's 2nd largest Greek city!).

The Greek salad I was served at the Duke's contained no kalamata olives, just tinned black olives (Spanish I'd wager). With romaine lettuce -- first I've seen in a Greek salad, don't think you'd see that in Sydney (certainly not in Melbourne, the world's 2nd largest Greek city!).

I've seen Greeks do it with iceberg lettuce as well (though just in a take away). The Dukes changed out the tinned olives for real (rimping) Kalamatas after you mentioned it a few months back. Rather that saying <deleted> off ,he (Dave) listens to customer feedback and does his best to keep the punters happy..

Anyone else know of a decent Greek salad in Chiangers ? What about Mi Casa just of Suthep Rd ?

Edited by Austhaied

thats good to hear, its the bitter stuff in a greek salad that makes it... even the TG's enjoy my super limed up dressing ... give em a bit of blue cheese on the side (smells like pa-la) and they're halfway to eating farang tucka (but keep the descent red plonk away from them).

I've seen Greeks do it with iceberg lettuce as well (though just in a take away). The Dukes changed out the tinned olives for real (rimping) Kalamatas after you mentioned it a few months back. Rather that saying <deleted> off ,he (Dave) listens to customer feedback and does his best to keep the punters happy..

Anyone else know of a decent Greek salad in Chiangers ? What about Mi Casa just of Suthep Rd ?

Mi Casa doesn't have a Greek salad per se. They do have at least one salad that contains feta, can't remember what it's called but the greens were excellent and the feta not bad. Mi Casa has an excellent arugala ('rocket') salad. The best feta I've eaten in a salad in CM recently was at Smoothie Blues of all places (only complaint - not enough of it).

BTW an authentic Greek salad contains no lettuce at all. Not that authenticity is everything. :o

BTW an authentic Greek salad contains no lettuce at all. Not that authenticity is everything. :D

As long as it has feta cheese (preferably from a goat), virgin olive oil and tomatoes, I think that I would enjoy it, but what are the REAL ingredients? :o

BTW an authentic Greek salad contains no lettuce at all. Not that authenticity is everything. :D

As long as it has feta cheese (preferably from a goat), virgin olive oil and tomatoes, I think that I would enjoy it, but what are the REAL ingredients? :o

Greek salad, χωριάτικη σαλάτα (IPA: [xo̞ˈrʝatiˌci saˈlata]) 'village salad', is a salad made in the Greek fashion and is one of the standard components of a traditional Greek meal.

True Greek salad is made of sliced or chopped tomato, cucumber, bell pepper and red onion, seasoned with salt, black pepper, and oregano and dressed with olive oil. Common additions include feta cheese, capers and kalamata olives.

Lettuce is rarely used in a Greek salad. A lettuce salad (called μαρούλι, "lettuce", rather than salad) is distinct, consisting of lettuce, scallions, and fresh dill, and dressed with olive oil and vinegar or lemon juice.

Wow. Capers sound really good too.

Anyone know where to get a real Greek salad with capers near Nana in Bangkok? :D

UG Dude,

Go right across Suk to Soi 3. There's this great Lebanese restaurant about 200 yds up on the left as you go away from Suk. Thin crust pizza, Greek salad, wine, the whole works. Wish I could remember the name, just ate there in Jan when in BKK for Eric Clapton concert. Oh, and you can smoke a "sheesha" waterpipe there too, if so inclined.... :o

Sounds great and I'm starving right now. I wish you knew the name as I ate in a great Lebanese restaurant in that area - and it might be the same one - but I'm not sure that I can find it, but... Lebanese pizza? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I just remembered. It is to the left of the Bamboo Bar on Suk Soi 3. Same owners. To the right is their Italian restaurant. Looks like a funky hole in the wall place, not upmarket but food was excellent. Pizza is thin crust Italian style. Lots of different Mediterranean style salads. House wine is Oz- good. Next door is the (in)famous Bamboo Bar. Check it out, and I want videos.... :o

Next door is the (in)famous Bamboo Bar. Check it out, and I want videos.... :o

Reading between the lines, I bet you never stepped foot inside the restaurant once you saw the Bamboo Bar.

I will review it, if I don't get caught in the same trap! :D

Next door is the (in)famous Bamboo Bar. Check it out, and I want videos.... :D

Reading between the lines, I bet you never stepped foot inside the restaurant once you saw the Bamboo Bar.

I will review it, if I don't get caught in the same trap! :D

Naw, I STARTED at Bamboo Bar. Had a couple beers, noticed all the barmaids were setting up literally HUNDREDS of shot glasses, filling them with tequila. When I asked, they said "Ladies get buy one, get one free after 9:30.....HUNDRED LADIES HERE LATER". Huh. Went next door, ate excellent meal, RETURNED after 9:30 PM. Truly a most splendid evening, from what little fragments still reside in my memory.... :o