Problem With Canon Printer (Pixma Ip3000)

GamLing

I have a Canon printer, model IP3000. It has stopped working. No matter what I do following Canon's advice on trouble-shooting, the problem remains.

The machine powers up OK and the operating light illuminates green. Then it flashes yellow 5 times then green once and then yellow 5 times...... and so on until I switch it off!!

When I lift the top cover whilst the printer is powered up, the print head does NOT move into the centre of the machine as normal. It stays firmly locked in the right hand side of the opening. Nothing that I do will get it to traverse to the centre.

Any ideas, please. Thank you.

There isn't a paper jam by any chance? Don't know the codes but flashing yellow seems to be use with feed problems on mine (no paper I believe is one).

Thank you for the rapid reply but there isn't a paper jam and the cassette tray has plenty of paper. The odd thing is that the print head stays firmly in place at the right side when I lift the top cover. So, it would also be impossible to gain access to the print head in order to change the ink cartridges! However, the ink cartridges aren't empty.

Gecko visitor and ASF cam would likely explain it. I would try a good shake first and if that fails do the procedure recommended in link Crossy provided.

Error 5700 or ##356 on Canon printers

The 5700 error code is a ASF cam error. ASF Cam Sensor Error. When this occurs, the gears cannot rotate properly causing a grinding noise and 5 alternating blinks (SFP) or ##356

Solution:

Step 1: Remove the Left and Right Covers and the Main Case Unit (main cover)

Step 2: Remove the 4 mounting screws from the Chassis.

Step 3: Remove the Main Unit from the Bottom Case.

Step 4: Turn the Main Unit over (upside down) and place on work surface.

Step 5: Inspect the ASF section of the Main Unit for a gap between the white plastic guide and the Chassis. The size of the gap varies. Even if the gap is not visible, complete the steps below.

Step 6: Disc connect the appropriate cables and remove the Logic Board from the Chassis.

Step 7: Loosen (do not remove) the 4 mounting screws (the mounting screws can be found behind the

logic board) on the Chassis.

Step 8: Re-seat the white plastic guide so it sits flush against the Chassis. The tip of the white plastic guide should sit slightly inside the

mounting screw hole. When seated correctly, the gap will no longer be present.

Step 9: Tighten the 4 mounting screws without

causing the plastic guide to shift.

Step 10: Reassemble the printer and retest.

• 3 months later...

I am not sure if this is the right place for this fix I've found. If everything works on your Canon Pixma printer except black??

Check all the usuals;

print head alignment,

clean, deep clean,

wash print head luke warm water dry carefully,

reinstall latest drivers etc.

Try printer USB mode on any OTHER PC.

Download and use canon My printer utility from their site. This is a diagnostic programme for your printer.

If all else fails it is probably the printer head. I have a Canon Pixma IP400R. Couldn't print in Black. I had spare black cartridges (smaller size) so I replaced Cyan Magenta and yellow cartridges with black cartridges.

I select font colour to standard green (the default green in MS Office). After printing a few "green blocks" to purge old colour still in head. Hey presto can now print in black!! It also helps to set printer preferences to high quality.

If you are like me and want to screw the last ounce out of every device this will work with most Canon Pixma range as the ink cartridges are the same size for small black and colours.

This is for anyone who mostly prints black text. As you are basically turning a non functioning colour printer into a BW printer.

Gecko visitor and ASF cam would likely explain it. I would try a good shake first and if that fails do the procedure recommended in link Crossy provided.

Error 5700 or ##356 on Canon printers

The 5700 error code is a ASF cam error. ASF Cam Sensor Error. When this occurs, the gears cannot rotate properly causing a grinding noise and 5 alternating blinks (SFP) or ##356

Solution:

Step 1: Remove the Left and Right Covers and the Main Case Unit (main cover)

Step 2: Remove the 4 mounting screws from the Chassis.

Step 3: Remove the Main Unit from the Bottom Case.

Step 4: Turn the Main Unit over (upside down) and place on work surface.

Step 5: Inspect the ASF section of the Main Unit for a gap between the white plastic guide and the Chassis. The size of the gap varies. Even if the gap is not visible, complete the steps below.

Step 6: Disc connect the appropriate cables and remove the Logic Board from the Chassis.

Step 7: Loosen (do not remove) the 4 mounting screws (the mounting screws can be found behind the

logic board) on the Chassis.

Step 8: Re-seat the white plastic guide so it sits flush against the Chassis. The tip of the white plastic guide should sit slightly inside the

mounting screw hole. When seated correctly, the gap will no longer be present.

Step 9: Tighten the 4 mounting screws without

causing the plastic guide to shift.

Step 10: Reassemble the printer and retest.

Good tip. It's likely apiece of paper or dirt inside the forked ight barrier which controls the head positoning.