Having A Beer With Someone Then They Ask For Your Number

hotandhumid

Listen pal, I don't mind chewing the fat with you over a couple of beers but please don't ask me for my number, I'm not looking for you to me my lifelong buddy..

I hate it when this happens...why do people do it? Surely you wouldn't do it your own country, so why do it here?

Rant Over.

H&H

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he had the hots for you? rolleyes.gif

I'm not talking about an isolated incident.

If there is anyone reading this who partakes in this cringeworthy act, please stop doing it, you put the other person in a diffulcult position.

right, seriously.......why does it annoy you so much?

If there is anyone reading this who partakes in this cringeworthy act, please stop doing it, you put the other person in a diffulcult position.

Mybe your a really hansum man. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Solution: Take the number of the first idiot who offers to exchange numbers. To any further idiots you give not your own number but the number of 'idiot - 1' and so on. Solved. wink.png

Or, just tell them that you hardly use your phone, and then mostly for texting. Offer to get connected on Facebook, then add him to an 'Utter <deleted>' friends-list, configured to not see much of anything you post.

I also do this with most bargirls who ask for my phone number, but then they go on a seperate 'Hookers' FB list that I set up. (Interesting thing though is that over time I share quite a bit with the Hookers group. I always know I put in a good FB post or picture when I get equal appreciation from the hookers group, from ordinary Thais and non-Thais. Universal appeal.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Seriously: just tell them that you hardly use your phone, and then mostly for texting. Offer to get connected on Facebook, then add him to an 'Utter <deleted>' friends-list, configured to not see much of anything you post.

Better yet: Take the number of the first idiot who offers to exchange numbers. To any further idiots you give not your own number but the number of 'idiot - 1' and so on. Solved. wink.png

Ha ha.Nice.

It's classless and far too personal when you have just met somebody for a beer. it's just a very weird thing to do. If you can't see that then I assume you are one of these 'stalkers' As I say you wouldn't do it in a pub back home, they would think you was a real sad bastard.

I agree with hot and humid on this one. Unless the asker is female, hot and single. Then I'm fine with it!

I'm always embarrassed when folks give me their business cards and I can't reciprocate.

So I'm gonna get some made. Can you suggest some title I might use as my fictitious job?

I don't see anything wrong with it. You are both in a foreign country and are going out for a beer together. Might as well get their number.

I would probably do it under the pretence of wanting to ask them something eg "Oh so you work in construction, I need to build some new condos, can I get your number?" rather than "I think you are a great guy, can I get your number?".

Offer to get connected on Facebook, then add him to an 'Utter <deleted>' friends-list,

Only problem with that is that if you make anything visible to that list it will say shared with 'Utter <deleted>' and they will see they are on that list! Edited by HalfSquat

So what if you felt a real connection with that person and thought they might be a potential friend? Not talking sexually (necessarily). So you talked once. Great. I can see being annoyed by number requests from people that don't interest you, but to say it's not EVER something that would be welcome or useful sounds like you have closed shop on your life. So assuming there are times it would be welcome (for mentally healthy people) getting (or making) requests that aren't welcome just comes with the territory, yes? No I am making no claims of being mentally healthy myself; just giving my opinion here.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

It's classless and far too personal when you have just met somebody for a beer. it's just a very weird thing to do. If you can't see that then I assume you are one of these 'stalkers' As I say you wouldn't do it in a pub back home, they would think you was a real sad bastard.

I suppose the only justification for it is that people are trying to build a new circle of friends in a foreign country.

Anyway I would like to present a different point of view to you, you should regard it as a compliment that people enjoy your company so much they want to stay in contact with you, so your getting a round of applause for being a personable guy. clap2.gif

You need to give up with the ranting though, nobody likes a ranter ermm.gif

I agree with hot and humid on this one. Unless the asker is female, hot and single. Then I'm fine with it!

I'm always embarrassed when folks give me their business cards and I can't reciprocate.

So I'm gonna get some made. Can you suggest some title I might use as my fictitious job?

Hammock Tester?

edit to make it sound more posh.......Director of Hammock Testing Services. smile.png

Edited by theblether

I'm resisting the temptation but reserve the right implied by your offer.

MD, Arsenal supporters club

How about -

Smokie

Exciting Invests

telepathists welcome

Ah so sweet, they just want to be friends.

Can't say it's ever happened to me but maybe pre-empt if by saying 'I am here a few times a week' 'see you in the bar' instead of it getting awkward. I honestly don't think I have ever asked for a blokes number when not work/business related

That's why white lies are for !

You just give a wrong number (change a digit or two)

Girls do it all the time

Haven't you learnt anything?

I live in an area with very few Farangs. Whenever I bump into another Farang in the market or wherever it usually results in the exchange of phone numbers. I don't see anything wrong with this. Many Farangs are like a fish out of water here and enjoy spending time with other farangs.

About 3 or 4 times a year I have farangs show up on my doorstep, they are strangers, but their gf think that they want to interact with other farangs. I am open to new friendships and so make them welcome.

Only one out of all the Farangs that I have met here have returned for a 2nd visit. Maybe they don't like me :)