Ed Visa Renewal

My Ed visa expires in a couple of months.

I am thinking to try a different thai language course other than the one i originally received the visa with. (Possibly online, for two reasons, i had a nasty accident some months back and am having treatment that has me at times at home for recovery periods,so online makes more sense ..and, i have seen some fairly reasonable prices). Would it possible to apply for a new ed visa, with a different course/company, without leaving the country?

Also, if this is possible, i also plan to leave Thailand for a couple of weeks in July. This means i will still be on the first 3 months of an Ed visa. Will this affect it in any way? Is a re-entry permit possible so i dont lose the visa?

Advice much appreciated.

Thank you.

No, the new school has to provide you with the new paperwork so you have to leave the country and apply for a new visa.

If you stay with the same school, your visa (that may be expired long ago) is still valid for further extensions (e.g. 2nd year).

Online study is yet another questionable topic. Although it is not formally prohibited to get ED visa while studying online (and many companies do so as it is cheaper), it well may get prohibited in the future. Logically, you are not required to stay in Thailand to study Thai online, so online study may be considered an insufficient *reason* to stay in the country.

If you need to leave the country, you may get re-entry permit and come back. You don't need to make another visa. If you leave the country without re-entry permit, you can no longer enter the country with same visa.

Thank you.

Another option i am now thinking (given my situation regarding treatment), is that i postpone my ed visa and go for a tourist visa. I have two double entry tourist visa's in my passport. If i go for a tourist visa, id like to go for another double entry.

Initially i could do a border crossing for two sets of 15 days. Then fly to Australia. Could i apply for a double entry tourist visa in Brisbane area, Aus? If so, does anyone know at what cost? Alternatively i could fly back via KL (but i think they only give singles, right?). Or of course Vientiane (would they possibly deny me a visa based on the last two?)

Trying to weigh up my options given my situation at present.

Thanks for advice.

Ughh, sorry, could another option be to apply to a new school get my paperwork sorted (as i have two months remaining on my ed visa), then do two 15 day border runs, fly to Australia, and in Australia or KL apply for my Ed visa (have a feeling Aus may be more costly though, so maybe KL).

Is this option possible?

The Thai Consulate in Brisbane is friendly..

Royal Thai Consulate-General, Brisbane

87 Annerley Road South Brisbane,

Tel +61-7-38467771. Fax fax: +61-7-38467772 ...

Thank you bapak. Bf just got back to me saying that Brisbane are usually quite strict though. Apparently they will want to see an outward bound ticket, which, seeing as the tourist visa would be for 6 months, and i am likely to then go back to studying (so ed visa), seems impractical. Have you ever encountered any problems like this at all. Thanks again.

Edited by eek

I just done some research,I moving from Phuket to Pattaya in a couple of months. My school will help me with the papers I need for my new school so I dont need to leave the country.My only problem wash/is that I have to keep going to same immigration were I started my Ed visa,can not change that until you year is up and time for my second year.This is no problem if you just want to change school but same city.

There is some schools that dont give a shit about there students that changing school so they have to all from start again to get a new Ed visa etc.I advice everybody to ask this before you sign up at any school that they will do this, if you want to change,try to get it writing.

I just done some research,I moving from Phuket to Pattaya in a couple of months. My school will help me with the papers I need for my new school so I dont need to leave the country.My only problem wash/is that I have to keep going to same immigration were I started my Ed visa,can not change that until you year is up and time for my second year.This is no problem if you just want to change school but same city.

There is some schools that dont give a shit about there students that changing school so they have to all from start again to get a new Ed visa etc.I advice everybody to ask this before you sign up at any school that they will do this, if you want to change,try to get it writing.

Two recent experiences on school transfer... 1 from a Phuket school to us and 1 from us to a Pattaya school. All that was required to maintain their current visa/extension was a letter from the schools releasing them from their commitment to the student.