Gf Got A New Job As Finance Admin

Has anyone heard of this before?

My girlfriend works as a finance admin and is changing to a new company, same type of position.

Apparently, for her to work there, they are needing someone who makes over 20kbht/month as a guarantor... This would be in the form of an employment certificate from my employee to her employee stating my name, company, and salary.

Now, I am happy to cosign a personal loan, or for a car, or something where there is a tangeable figure attached ... but this type of guarantee is so open ended and seems that one could get in some super big trouble if a situation goes sideways.

I trust my gf, and would never think she'd do anything dodgy... What I don't trust are the people around her that could change a few decimal points or send some funds overseas somehow making it look like her... And who will they come back to??? Not her at her salary, but me the farang with the deep pockets...

Anyway, has anyone run into this situation or know of a better way for me to help her that doesn't seem to include signing my life away? Am I too paranoid?

Something not right here ! why would somebody need a guarantor to take up a job...be careful, very careful....this smells very iffy

+1

OP can you clarify that your gf is Thai?.....it would appear to be case that she is however clarity always helps. There is a business and finance forum here on Thaivisa, the chances are the mods will move the topic there.

Also welcomeani.gif to Thaivisa and I love your avatar.

Yes, she is Thai... And thanks for the avatar love :-)

@Mods: Please move if deemed appropriate

Something not right here ! why would somebody need a guarantor to take up a job...be careful, very careful....this smells very iffy

+1

OP can you clarify that your gf is Thai?.....it would appear to be case that she is however clarity always helps. There is a business and finance forum here on Thaivisa, the chances are the mods will move the topic there.

Also welcomeani.gif to Thaivisa and I love your avatar.

This is not unheard of. Many jobs, especially in banking and finance do require a guaranty of sorts. This is usually done by the parents, which explains why/how only the rich families children get these types of jobs.

OP, you said you GF is just changing companies, who/how did she get he guarantee previously? Why is it falling upon you this time?

This is not unheard of. Many jobs, especially in banking and finance do require a guaranty of sorts. This is usually done by the parents, which explains why/how only the rich families children get these types of jobs.

OP, you said you GF is just changing companies, who/how did she get he guarantee previously? Why is it falling upon you this time?

Well, her parents are poor, she got her guarantee for her current employer from her manager from her previous employee, who has now changed jobs and cannot be contacted.

I guess it falls to me because being the boyfriend makes me next in line after daddy...

I'm just trying to ascertain if this is a sensible thing for me to do for an honest lady, when there is potential for dishonesty everywhere around.

This is a fairly common practise for any Thai that handles money or is associated with finance, including cashiers in supermarkets and hotels. Mrs CM has had to put up a cash bond for three employers over the past five years, one of whom is a large well known international names. Higher ranking positions don't always require a cash depsoit but still require a guarantor who vouches for the character and integrity of the employee. For those of you that small a rat on this point, your nose isn't working very well!

• Like 1

I have never heard of any job that requires a deposit or guarantor unless she's selling Amway or other MLM scheme.

Surely she sounds like she's playing you. Why not get the name of the company and google it?

My wife had to deposit 10K twice before starting to work at front desk in two different hotels.

Edited by kollart

I had to do this for my GF's new job; I signed the form but crossed out the parts saying I was liable for anything she did and recompensing the firm. That as far as I am concerned is a load of bull; they have insurance and no doubt would claim on the insurance, write it off in the books as we loss, and get the money from me. robbing swines.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input...

I've asked for the guarantor contract, but it is in Thai only...

But... after all that, she has found an uncle that is C* (some kind of government position designation) that will vouch for her... So I am free from this...

Now... Anyone know anything about how necessary it is to supply buffaloes to the family???

(555+ just kidding!)

Back out now and run like buggery.bah.gif

Rubbish. This is very common practice for relatively low level financial jobs in Thailand. There Is nothing to be worried about but as usual thaivisa conspiracy theories tale precedence over common sense.

• Like 2

Irrespective of whether she is honest or not, Thai, good/bad or whatever, you are putting yourself in a very precarious situation.

You have to ask yourself if you 1) can afford to guarantee (and eventually loose) money and 2) do you really want to put yourself in that situation?

If you can afford to (eventually) loose a lot of money then do it, otherwise you need to sit down with your gf and explain to her why you cannot do this for her.

On another note: love the avatar.

I first heard of something like this over 25 years ago. I couldn't believe it at the time.

The ex wifes family had to post bond money with an employer for a then brother in law starting work as a security guard at a clothing factory. The money was returned after a 3 month probation period.

Irrespective of whether she is honest or not, Thai, good/bad or whatever, you are putting yourself in a very precarious situation.

You have to ask yourself if you 1) can afford to guarantee (and eventually loose) money and 2) do you really want to put yourself in that situation?

If you can afford to (eventually) loose a lot of money then do it, otherwise you need to sit down with your gf and explain to her why you cannot do this for her.

On another note: love the avatar.

By virtue of your first point you've said that the OP's girlfriend is dishonest and that he will loose (a lot of) money as a result, why, do you know her and do you know she's inherently dishonest, I doubt it very much. I'm not sure if you've said what you have simply because the subject is a single Thai female who's dating a farang, but I think you're well out of order!

Thanks everyone for your feedback & opinions... Everything was helpful.

I investigated the company and looked at the contract (they could not produce a contract in English), I discussed with her to find someone else... Although a bit upset and hurt (I am her BF, after all), she got over it pretty quickly when she understood my reasoning.

She looked more diligently and finally found an uncle with the qualifications needed to guarantee for her, and that is now in motion... I have also asked some Thai people I know since this began, and as written above, this is a very common practice in this country (unlike no other in the west, I'm sure), but due diligence in the contract is surely recommended.

For me, I will stay away from silly things like this, and only sign on a line when I know how much I'll be liable for in the end if shit starts to hit the fan.

BTW... Great Forum...Thanks much!

It is still quite amazing to hear how many people who claim they have a Thai 'wife', 'girlfrien'd or off duty sex worker. Sorry but I think a reality check is in order with all who use this as a 'title'. I try to remain positive in the LOS but please lets keep titles real for a serious response.

Thanks everyone for your feedback & opinions... Everything was helpful.

I investigated the company and looked at the contract (they could not produce a contract in English), I discussed with her to find someone else... Although a bit upset and hurt (I am her BF, after all), she got over it pretty quickly when she understood my reasoning.

She looked more diligently and finally found an uncle with the qualifications needed to guarantee for her, and that is now in motion... I have also asked some Thai people I know since this began, and as written above, this is a very common practice in this country (unlike no other in the west, I'm sure), but due diligence in the contract is surely recommended.

For me, I will stay away from silly things like this, and only sign on a line when I know how much I'll be liable for in the end if shit starts to hit the fan.

BTW... Great Forum...Thanks much!

Edited by somchaimaidai

Not the same but the wife, sister-in-law and a friend of the wife's, have all had management positions in "designer" shops in the likes of Emporium.

All three had to "pay" a bond of around 30,000 either in a lump or monthly out of their salaries.

I believe it's in case something goes missing. Like the poor blokes at Vertu who had to pay when some Chinese guys came in a swapped a copy for a real £4k phone! sad.png

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Perhaps keep that point in mind the next time a cashier somewhere bores you to death with her calculator when she's trying to determine your correct change, get it wrong and they pay, that's what the bond is for. But the state of their maths is pretty appalling, last week I paid my UBC bill at TMB, gave the cashier two one thousand baht notes for a bill that was 1,538, she somehow managed to short change me by one hundred baht despite counting it three times. She had no qualms about giving me the extra hundred baht when I queried but it makes you wonder where their minds are at. BTW, I don't believe for one second that it was an attempt to deliberately short change me, she was simply incompetent and shouldn't be in the job.