New Passport - Transfer Stamp From Old Passport

• 1 month later...

I have a UK passport and an extension of stay in Thailand up to end of next month.

I am planning to renew my UK passport in UK using 1 day service next month and then return to Thailand before the extension of stay expires. Is it correct that (i) on return to Thailand my new passport would be stamped, admitted until validity of extension of stay and (ii) after entering Thailand I go to Immigration and have the extension of stay and other stamps transferred to my new passport?

Note that I have had extensions of stay since 2002 and have previously renewed passport in Thailand or by sending to Hong Kong and then visited immigration for the stamps to be transferred before travelling again - so I am familiar with the procedures in this case. Now I have 2 almost full UK passports and am looking for an expedient solution, as I am travelling frequently.

Just to update, they denied the tourist visa stamp transfer to new passport yesterday.

Hope they won't deny it a the border !

:-)

Immigration cannot transfer visas.

You will need to use both passports to make further use of your visa.

As long as you have both passports you will not have any problem at the border.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 2 weeks later...

Bump !

Okay so i got a new passport, i am currently with a 15days visa on arrival from Mae sai border.. and i still got the old passport .. do i need to transfert anything ?

WP_20130809_004.jpg

WP_20130809_005.jpg

Another question, im leaving Chiang mai on 12th, arrive at nong kai / laos border on 13th early in the morning, right after the mother day holydays.. do u know if the immigration office to transfert things from my old passport (if i have too) gonna be open ?

thx for the answer, i hope my question is clear !

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If immigration office not open they should do paperwork at crossing point - no you do not have to do anything before then on a visa exempt entry.

Interesting to know. Does anybody know if this is definitely the case? I have to leave the country on a Thai holiday so I know immigration will be closed and I'm already spending an extra day in Laos to go the Consulate the following day and I don't want to do two extra days in Laos, as money's a bit tight in December as always.

I have a non-B in my old passport and have a blank new passport. I will be going for a Tourist Visa in Vientiene.

• 2 months later...

I tried to do this (transfer stamps), at my local office a couple of months ago - they weren't interested. Told me to use both passports (old & new), if I wanted to leave Thailand. Tried to explain that under UK passport rules, the old passport is cancelled when the application is received for the new one, again they weren't interested.

There is no problem having your valid visa in a 'cancelled' passport.

thats good news

im going to apply for new passport due ut of pages, after my next laos run

so i have to transfer new visa to new pasport or can use valid visa in expired passport?

Visas cannot be transfered. You use visa in old passport when entering country by showing both passports to immigration officer.

On first departure from country after getting new passport show both passports and immigration officer will transfer your entry stamp to new passport and then stamp you out of the country in it,

• 3 months later...

Visas cannot be transfered. You use visa in old passport when entering country by showing both passports to immigration officer.

On first departure from country after getting new passport show both passports and immigration officer will transfer your entry stamp to new passport and then stamp you out of the country in it,

Is this still uptodate info

I have just been told i need to go to uk embassy in Bangkok, to get a letter confirming i own my new, unused passport, crazy????, or go to Immigration office and get the last exit/ entrance stamp put into my new passport

The info is still correct, but what you need to do depdns on what you have.

In case yu have a visa, you cna just fix it at the airport when you leave.

In case you have an extension of stay, you need to get the letter from the embassy and have your details trnasfered to the new paspsort at immigraiton.

The info is still correct, but what you need to do depdns on what you have.

In case yu have a visa, you cna just fix it at the airport when you leave.

In case you have an extension of stay, you need to get the letter from the embassy and have your details trnasfered to the new paspsort at immigraiton.

I have a multi entry 0,this is my last 90 day visa run, then i shall probably get a retirement visa/extension, in thailand, so i wont be going home

I might even go for my retirement extension, as i have to do this within the next 90 days

You can do your extension during the last 30 days of your 90 days.

You can do them both at the same time but until you you move the stamps over you will need to have both passports handy because your new one does not have any stamps in it.

Im going to get my new polish passport in bkk.

Polish embassy said i can transfer stapm or visa.

Im on tourist visa last entry

Got 2 months before 30 days extension

Waiting time for new passport is 1 month.

After i get it should i go to pattaya immigrarion for stamp visa transfer?

Some say use both pasports old and new...

mataleo

Im going to get my new polish passport in bkk.

Polish embassy said i can transfer stapm or visa.

Im on tourist visa last entry

Got 2 months before 30 days extension

Waiting time for new passport is 1 month.

After i get it should i go to pattaya immigrarion for stamp visa transfer?

Some say use both pasports old and new...

mataleo

You can use both passport and get your previous entry/permit stamp moved when you leave the country.

Visas are not transferred.

• 2 weeks later...

I got last stay on tourist visa till 20 july.

beginning of july i picking new passport

I want extend stay for 30 days

Would be that ok with passport that got canceled?

Or should i extend it before they cancel it and then transfer?

mataleo

mataleo

It would be best to wait until you get you get the new passport to do your extension. Be sure you get a letter from your embassy stating you got a new passport from them when you pick it up.

You would then go to immigration with both passports and they will transfer the stamps to your new passport and do the extension in it.

Doing it this way you would only need to show your new passport.when you leave the country.

If you still have an entry remaining on your visa you would need to show your old passport with the visa in it when you re-enter the country to use it.

• Like 1

mataleo

It would be best to wait until you get you get the new passport to do your extension. Be sure you get a letter from your embassy stating you got a new passport from them when you pick it up.

You would then go to immigration with both passports and they will transfer the stamps to your new passport and do the extension in it.

Doing it this way you would only need to show your new passport.when you leave the country.

If you still have an entry remaining on your visa you would need to show your old passport with the visa in it when you re-enter the country to use it.

Why i need letter.

There is issue date in passport

And i will have 2 passports

mataleo

mataleo

Why i need letter.

mataleo

Because it is a immigration policy to want one.

Some offices don't ask for it but many do.

mataleo

Why i need letter.

mataleo

Because it is a immigration policy to want one.

Some offices don't ask for it but many do.

Australia does not issue a letter and immigration DO not have a policy in regard to this if so please quote the ref or police order

Edited by MikeandDow

Yes, it is neither policy or law but that does not prevent some local Immigration stamp jockeys asking for the letter. Sheesh!

It is immigration policy there have been many reports of it being required. There have been recent reports of Bangkok immigration wanting it.

If you are using the correct version of internet explorer you can go to this webpage http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service and click the box next to "Other services" and then the box next to Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport". and you will see the letter is listed there.