New Passport - Transfer Stamp From Old Passport

I just got a new passport and have to transfer the entry stamp from the old passport. The person at the embassy told me I can do this at any departure point when I exit Thailand, but he recommended I do it at the immigration office.

Is it better/easier to do this at any immigration office as opposed to the border/airport departure?

Does it cost any money to do this?

I just had stamps transferred into my new passport today at the immigration office. They used a full 2 pages of my new passport. My old one was not expired, just out of pages. At this rate my new one will be out of pages in 2 years or less ...

If you are leaving the country anyway, it will probably save you space in your passport to just transfer stamps on exit and get an exit stamp as opposed to a new extension of stay.

• Like 2

I tried to do this (transfer stamps), at my local office a couple of months ago - they weren't interested. Told me to use both passports (old & new), if I wanted to leave Thailand. Tried to explain that under UK passport rules, the old passport is cancelled when the application is received for the new one, again they weren't interested.

I tried to do this (transfer stamps), at my local office a couple of months ago - they weren't interested. Told me to use both passports (old & new), if I wanted to leave Thailand. Tried to explain that under UK passport rules, the old passport is cancelled when the application is received for the new one, again they weren't interested.

There is no problem having your valid visa in a 'cancelled' passport.

Immigration no longer provides this service at office locations unless on an extension of stay or perhaps lost passport. If a simple visa entry you just present both passports at border when you leave and any notation will be made then. This was not an announced change but from all reporting I have seen in recent months is effective everywhere.

If here on an extension of stay (like many of us) you continue to do upon receipt of new passport at your local immigration office. There should not be any charge involved but copies will be required and a short form to fill out.

Hi - just want to clarify this if possible.. I am here on an extension of a NON -IMM ED visa, which I received from studying my BA here.. I just recently got a new passport because the old one was going to expire.. My current visa is good until mid May, then I will be starting the process to get my new non-imm b + work permit for a job I am starting around the middle of next month.

Should I bother going to immigration in order to transfer my current visa / extensions into my new passport? Or will this just be ignored/taken care of when I exit the country? Will be doing a land visa run to Laos to get a TR which will then later be converted in-country.

Was just a bit confused at the previous posts because I am not sure if the OP was talking about in counry extensions (on a visa) or if he was just doing visa runs with exit dates etc etc..

Thanks for your help and big thanks to Lopburi who has been deligently helping me for 7 years now.

I would make the trip to immigration first (especially if a long way from border) as border point may be hesitant to allow your departure until taken care of and they have not provided the extension so likely will ask you to return to office providing (especially if Nong Khai as have seen several reports of turn-around there).

Hi - just want to clarify this if possible.. I am here on an extension of a NON -IMM ED visa, which I received from studying my BA here.. I just recently got a new passport because the old one was going to expire.. My current visa is good until mid May, then I will be starting the process to get my new non-imm b + work permit for a job I am starting around the middle of next month.

Should I bother going to immigration in order to transfer my current visa / extensions into my new passport? Or will this just be ignored/taken care of when I exit the country? Will be doing a land visa run to Laos to get a TR which will then later be converted in-country.

Was just a bit confused at the previous posts because I am not sure if the OP was talking about in counry extensions (on a visa) or if he was just doing visa runs with exit dates etc etc..

Thanks for your help and big thanks to Lopburi who has been deligently helping me for 7 years now.

I got a new passport last year. I transferred the non-imm b visas into the new passport at immigration office, then 2 weeks later I renewed my visa for another 12 months.

Edited by whybother

Ok, I'll do the trip to Chaeng Wattana and clear it up there. Don't want to bother with any risks at the border!

I have previous read something about needing a letter from the embassy/consulate inre: transferring stamps or something.. Canadian consulate didn't mention anything at all about that, but hopefully I will be ok with both passports and my valid visa stuff.

Thanks again for the help!

When you old passport is made non valid ( in case you received a new one ) this means that you can not use it any more for travel identification purposes.

The visas in the old passport always remains valid until the visa expire date regardless of the passport.

If you don't transfer the visas into you new passport you will have to travel with both passports and provide both passports at immigration.

The new one for confirming your name etc and the old to confirm your visa status.

In case you have a long stay visa they can ask you to transfer the visa into the new passport which you can do at the immigration office

Immigration no longer provides this service at office locations unless on an extension of stay or perhaps lost passport. If a simple visa entry you just present both passports at border when you leave and any notation will be made then. This was not an announced change but from all reporting I have seen in recent months is effective everywhere.

If here on an extension of stay (like many of us) you continue to do upon receipt of new passport at your local immigration office. There should not be any charge involved but copies will be required and a short form to fill out.

Transferring the entry stamp from your lost passport into your new passport is always possible but you need the police report as supporting document.

This transfer should always be done before leaving the country as this can cause problems / delays when leaving the country.

Similar for me. Korat transferred the current dates into the new passport but obviously cannot transfer the existing Non Imm O stamp.

Absolutely no problem with using 2 passports (the old one has the corner cut off) - the new passport is for traveling on the old one simply carries the current visa.

I have come into Thailand from the UK once, Malaysia once and Cambodia 4 times without immigration batting an eye-lid.

I live in Phuket and am going to get my new US passport (out of pages on the old one) at the US Embassy in Bangkok on May 3. My current Tourist Visa expires May 7. I had planned to get a 30 day tourist extension in Phuket Town on May 1st (just enough space left to do that). Do I need to go to Chaeng Wattana to transfer the 30 day extension while I am in Bangkok? I will need to use my new passport to get my next visa.

Ok, I'll do the trip to Chaeng Wattana and clear it up there. Don't want to bother with any risks at the border!

I have previous read something about needing a letter from the embassy/consulate inre: transferring stamps or something.. Canadian consulate didn't mention anything at all about that, but hopefully I will be ok with both passports and my valid visa stuff.

Thanks again for the help!

No letter is required, it is required for a loss of passport.

British Passports come directly from England and they have no ideas of Thai Immigration procedures

You had your permission to stay transferred, immigration does not transfer visas to another passport.

Sorry Mario 2008, but you are wrong.

Jomtien Immigration transferred my Non-Immigrant Multi Entry 'B' to my new Australian Passport and all Retirement stamps that were in the old one, to the new Passport as well.

my wife used old passport with actual stamp 2011-2012 with new non O (extension) entry stamps in new passport.issued during extension period.

When renewed extension of stay the immigration officer asked us kindly NOT to 'loose' the old passport since the next extension (2013) could

require stamp 2011-2012.

source Nongkhai Immigration april 2012.

You had your permission to stay transferred, immigration does not transfer visas to another passport.

Jomtien Immigration transferred my Non-Immigrant Multi Entry 'B' to my new Australian Passport and all Retirement stamps that were in the old one, to the new Passport as well.

If you have retirement stamps it appears you have an extension of stay for that you do not have a valid multi entry non immigrant B visa (which can only be obtained from a Thai Consulate outside of Thailand). What was transferred in the case of an extension of stay is the actual extension of stay, information from the original visa entry and passport information (and re-entry permit information if you have that).

my wife used old passport with actual stamp 2011-2012 with new non O (extension) entry stamps in new passport.issued during extension period.

When renewed extension of stay the immigration officer asked us kindly NOT to 'loose' the old passport since the next extension (2013) could

require stamp 2011-2012.

source Nongkhai Immigration april 2012.

The information of that original visa entry should have been entered into your new passport when extension placed there - once that is done there is no requirement for the old passport.

To transfer your original entry stamp into a new passport from an old passport, it is much easier (perhaps not as convenient) doing it at a land border crossing. As a UK lawyer in Thailand, I know the following is correct:

1. Take both your old passport and new passport with you (as the information from your expired passport will be used for your current passport);

2. Explain to the immigration officer at border/passport control what you want to do. He will direct you to the appropriate office. Usually the office is in the same place as where overstayers must report to pay their penalty. Tour guides who often have some rapport with immigration, seem to get these people through quickly, so make sure you are not left waiting too long.

3. There is no fee. This is why immigration officers tend to make those transferring their visa wait.

Hope this helps!:)

If you have retirement stamps it appears you have an extension of stay for that you do not have a valid multi entry non immigrant B visa (which can only be obtained from a Thai Consulate outside of Thailand). What was transferred in the case of an extension of stay is the actual extension of stay, information from the original visa entry and passport information (and re-entry permit information if you have that).

lopburi3, I can't read Thai, however the stamp in my Passport takes up about two thirds of the page, It has my old passport number on the top, then where issued (Brisbane), then then a date 28th Oct 2006, then Non-B, then another date 25th Jan 2005, then signed by the boss at Jomtien Immigration.

Is this an extension of stay as you say? Just asking.

It then had all the retirement stamps placed into the book from the original date of entry, back from 2005.

lopburi3, I can't read Thai, however the stamp in my Passport takes up about two thirds of the page, It has my old passport number on the top, then where issued (Brisbane), then then a date 28th Oct 2006, then Non-B, then another date 25th Jan 2005, then signed by the boss at Jomtien Immigration.

It then had all the retirement stamps placed into the book from the original date of entry, back from 2005.

It looks like they have copied the visa details AND transferred the extension stamps.

As pointed out earlier, a Non-Imm visa can only be issued outside Thailand. Once you have an extension the original visa effectively becomes defunct because, should you need to enter the Kingdom again, you will have a re-entry permit.

Mine has (on the first page) a stamp with with my old passport number and dates relating to my first visa and a couple of standard "admitted until" stamps with similar dates. Then on the second page is the "extension of stay", and on the third is a "re-entry permit".

Mine has (on the first page) a stamp with with my old passport number and dates relating to my first visa and a couple of standard "admitted until" stamps with similar dates. Then on the second page is the "extension of stay", and on the third is a "re-entry permit".

OK. Well thanks all, that clears that up.thumbsup.gif

In March 2008 my wife washed my passport and wrecked it. Luckily we were in Glasgow at the time, where there is a passport office, and I had a replacement within a few hours. I had nine months left on my Non Imm O visa.

From March to December I showed my new passport with no visa, along with my washed passport containing my visa and was not questioned once about it.

I travel in and out every 28 days.