Thai Refered To A Chinese Mexican

vspin134

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's too bad because The White House Executive Chef - Cristeta Comerford is originally from the Philippines.

I usually think of the Filipinos as the Mexicans of Asia. Except they can't cook for sh@t, unlike Mexicans. Not to cast aspersions on either nationality, of course.

What I meant to say is that Filipino cuisine is crap -- undoubtedly the worst in East Asia, hands down.

How about North Korean ?..wouldnt have thought eating soil, straw and occasional dog or cat as being too tasty

North Korean food is exactly the same as South Korean food, with some regional specialities of course.

There used to be a great North Korean restaurant in Bangkok, staffed entirely by North Koreans (including some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen). It closed down quite a while ago, though, unfortunately.

I don't think America will have really made it until we have our own salad dressing. Until then we're stuck behind the French, Italians, Russians and Caesarians. ~Pat McNelis

Thousand Island

Ranch

google Caesarian and caesar ...

Edited by rijb

mexican is not intrinsically spicy food...most places have got a pot of salsa on the table and then you can dose it and make it as spicy as you want...without the salsa most mexican food is actually quite bland...the classic dishes like pavo en mole are not what you would call 'basic cuisine'...

real szechuan does the trick as is not overwhelmingly spicy; as they serve the dishes it just creeps up on you...I ate at the 'restaurant no. ##' in Beijing (supposedly the best szechuan in China with the fat, grumpy waitresses) and it was very enlightening...most thai stuff is like a drunken englishman's vindaloo; one bite and your mouth is on fire...and that ain't the point about spicy food...

filipino food?...ick...now malay/indonesian ain't bad with the rendang and the soto ayam...and not spicy at all (except for the padang cuisine like rendang) but there are usually some chiles in vinegar on the table...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

mexican is not intrinsically spicy food...most places have got a pot of salsa on the table and then you can dose it and make it as spicy as you want...without the salsa most mexican food is actually quite bland...the classic dishes like pavo en mole are not what you would call 'basic cuisine'...

real szechuan does the trick as is not overwhelmingly spicy; as they serve the dishes it just creeps up on you...I ate at the 'restaurant no. ##' in Beijing (supposedly the best szechuan in China with the fat, grumpy waitresses) and it was very enlightening...most thai stuff is like a drunken englishman's vindaloo; one bite and your mouth is on fire...and that ain't the point about spicy food...

filipino food?...ick...now malay/indonesian ain't bad with the rendang and the soto ayam...and not spicy at all (except for the padang cuisine like rendang) but there are usually some chiles in vinegar on the table...

I think you're really going too far with your generalizations.

What you say about Mexican food is intrinsically true. A lot of the spicing is done with side salsas and perhaps most (but not all!) dishes are served default not particularly spicy. An example of a default spicy dish -- goat birria. Some more elegant dishes are not spicy at all and don't invite extra sauces. A poblano mole dark sauce is not hot spicy but is composed with lots of spices. Also those side salsas, Mexicans mostly have a taste for them because like I said they feed chilies to babies there.

On Sechuan food, there are the red hot peppers and the Sechuan peppercorns which are not (or even technically peppers) but add a lot of unique character. You are wrong that Sechuan people don't like hot and spicy food. Not all dishes are spicy of course, but the most popular Sechuan experience, Sechuan hot pot involves local people sweating profusely from the heat and spices ... and loving it.

Filipino food is not the greatest, but internationally it is probably underrated. Adobo is a great national dish and personally I had some very memorable seafood Filipino style in Cebu.

Mexican Goat birria. Yes it is spicy. Easy for a chili-head, but yes, it is spicy.

post-37101-0-49158400-1335017704_thumb.j

As an aside, the non-traditional BEEF birria served at Thailand's Sunrise chain has a hint of spice flavor but no heat at all. That is NOT how it is served in Mexico.

Edited by Jingthing

I think you're really going too far with your generalizations.

What you say about Mexican food is intrinsically true. A lot of the spicing is done with side salsas and perhaps most (but not all!) dishes are served default not particularly spicy. An example of a default spicy dish -- goat birria. Some more elegant dishes are not spicy at all and don't invite extra sauces. A poblano mole dark sauce is not hot spicy but is composed with lots of spices. Also those side salsas, Mexicans mostly have a taste for them because like I said they feed chilies to babies there.

On Sechuan food, there are the red hot peppers and the Sechuan peppercorns which are not (or even technically peppers) but add a lot of unique character. You are wrong that Sechuan people don't like hot and spicy food. Not all dishes are spicy of course, but the most popular Sechuan experience, Sechuan hot pot involves local people sweating profusely from the heat and spices ... and loving it.

Filipino food is not the greatest, but internationally it is probably underrated. Adobo is a great national dish and personally I had some very memorable seafood Filipino style in Cebu.

Mexican Goat birria. Yes it is spicy. Easy for a chili-head, but yes, it is spicy.

post-37101-0-49158400-1335017704_thumb.j

As an aside, the non-traditional BEEF birria served at Thailand's Sunrise chain has a hint of spice flavor but no heat at all. That is NOT how it is served in Mexico.

yeah, you're probably right, JT... one does tend to over generalize on an internet forum...but the birria that I had in east LA was like menudo in that it was literally a plate of grease designed to be a hangover cure...you don't care what it tastes like, you just want to get it down yer gullet to ease the pain...

and to clarify I never did say nothin' about chinese folks and szechuan food...just my observation as a white man in Beijing...the heat/spicyness creeped up on you gradually and that's what spicy food is all about...I wish that I could make food like that; loadsa garlic and chiles but with control so as to not be too spicy...after the 12th dish the top of yer head is about to come off but it took a long time to get there...memorable...

You have obviously never had genuine Mexican food as it is not spicy. Spicy salsa and condiments are a North American creation.

sure! and jalapeños originate from an area near Duluth, Minnesota which supplies Mexico with hot spices whistling.gif

You have obviously never had genuine Mexican food as it is not spicy. Spicy salsa and condiments are a North American creation.

sure! and jalapeños originate from an area near Duluth, Minnesota which supplies Mexico with hot spices whistling.gif

actually the jalapenos originate from Fargo, North Dakota, Dr Naam...and I believe that Mr Bob Zimmermann (a jewish local entertainer) referred to them directly in the popular song 'a hard rain is gonna fall...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

actually the jalapenos originate from Fargo, North Dakota, Dr Naam...and I believe that Mr Bob Zimmerman (a local entertainer) referred to them directly in the popular song 'a hard rain is gonna fall...'

Ou contraire

Actually they originate in Mexico...... The jalapeno is named after the town of Xalapa.....Hate to burst your bubble not everything originates or was invented in the Land "O" free as much as they try to tell everyone..

That line is said when they're talking about where to go to eat, one says Mexican the other says Thai and says Thai is like Chinese Mexican. Thailand is to the south of China and the food is spicier. It's an American show written by a white American dude, I wouldn't read anything else in to it

Where do you think Mexico is?

• Like 1

That line is said when they're talking about where to go to eat, one says Mexican the other says Thai and says Thai is like Chinese Mexican. Thailand is to the south of China and the food is spicier. It's an American show written by a white American dude, I wouldn't read anything else in to it

cheesy.gif

Mexico is an island in the South Pacific. its inhabitants are called Maoris who are aborigines formerly living in Australia. that's why the island is administered by New Zealand. legal tender is the Enchilada (1 ENC = 100 Nachos).

• Like 1

There is plenty of "American food". To say otherwise is fairly ignorant. Many examples previously listed. The greatest achivement though is NY style Pizza, imho.

Maryland crab cakes, Texas BBQ, Philly cheesesteaks, SoCal fish tacos, Cincinnati chili, Chicago deep dish pizza, Maine lobster rolls, TexMex, New Orleans gumbo and crawfish etoufée, Boston clam chowder, meatball grinders and Italian hoagies...OK, now I'm getting hungry!

crawfish etoufée, and Italian hoagies

Yeah they sound real American...

almost as funny as something I read in an ad the US one time..."Cadillac....The Rolls Royce of cars"

Inventions of second and third generation immigrant groups in America which you'll find nowhere else. 100% American, regardless of what they "sound" like.

And I'm pretty sure the Cadillac ad was a figment of your imagination.

There is plenty of "American food". To say otherwise is fairly ignorant. Many examples previously listed. The greatest achivement though is NY style Pizza, imho.

You do know pizza is Italian dont you ?

You're taking the piss now. Everyone knows the pizza originated in Italy, but that America has versions (New York, New Haven, Chicago, and California) that are unique.

almost as funny as something I read in an ad the US one time..."Cadillac....The Rolls Royce of cars"

Inventions of second and third generation immigrant groups in America which you'll find nowhere else. 100% American, regardless of what they "sound" like.

Ok I understand...Italy is part of the US, and French is an offical languge ?...

The Cadillac thing was not a figment of my imagination, it was a real ad, I nearly fell off the chair laughing and some of my US collegues couldnt understand why

mexicans consume more chili then thais

Ok I understand...Italy is part of the US, and French is an offical languge ?...

The Cadillac thing was not a figment of my imagination, it was a real ad, I nearly fell off the chair laughing and some of my US collegues couldnt understand why

You are completely full of crap.

just like a lot of 'mexican food' originated in east LA a lot of pizzas (supposedly italian) did in america too, with regional variations, east coast, west coast and Chicago...it don't matter as in the end as it all tastes good...and better than the mexicans or the italians could ever have thought of either separately or in combination...

and then there is the Tijuana Terror pizza...and what do mexicans have to do with supposedly italian cuisine? plenty if you've ever had one: thin crust with tomato sauce and cheese and then ground sausage, jalapeno peppers and fresh sliced lemon...out of this world but an italian pizza maker would have never thought of it...it was 'ol Alfonso Bedoya, the bandit from Treasure of the Sierra Madre in the kitchen and waving his hat and saying: 'an' I ain't got no 'stinkin' badges' neither...'

american cuisine: the best and most imaginative in the world...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

I don't think America will have really made it until we have our own salad dressing. Until then we're stuck behind the French, Italians, Russians and Caesarians. ~Pat McNelis

Thousand Island

Ranch

Thousand Island is the Philippines.

• Like 1

Thousand Island

Ranch

Thousand Island is the Philippines.

bullshit...in malay 'thousand islands' is 'pulau seribu' and there are thousands in the java sea and they ain't nice; surrounded by coral and hot as blazes and not good for a holiday...in Jakarta with our little boy the ex-wife insisted that we go and it was miserable...we stayed inside with the AC...couldn't take it otherwise...then she started to bitch and claimed that it was my fault and I wanted to take her out to the coral and then hold her head under the water...

and then: 'Murder on the pulau seribu'

Edited by tutsiwarrior