Power Tools

cornishcarlos

Ok, so most of the main stream shops offer the same selection of power tools. Probably not the same quality as we might expect in Europe or the US but out of the choices available, ie Hitatchi, Bosch, Makita etc which would you buy if you needed to...

I'm just buying a few that I need for a project, if they last me a couple years and I get a couple more small projects out of them I will be happy :) But would be interested in your opinions and experiences...

I have been using Bosch and Makita tools bought in Thailand for a few years with no problems. I do general household stuff and build my own furniture and would recommend both brands. Maktec looks good and I will probably pick up a Maktec belt sander at some point. If you just want do a couple of small things then Maktec would probably be a good choice.

I got a combination of brand name power tools which are sold pretty much in any country, and let's just say "never heard of them" names until I came to Thailand but are about one-third to one-half the price of the brand names. I've got a heat gun, high speed grinder, and a gig saw in this later category. These half price, never heard of them versions have worked just fine for me...none of them have broke down since having them for several years doing occasional work/projects around the house. Places like Lotus, Big C, and Makro will usually carry a combination of name brand and "never heard of them brands." Places like HomePro usually concentrate on name brands--more profit in it for them.

Now does this mean I will only buy "never head of them brands" from here on out? No, it depends on the power tool I'm looking for, how often I will use it, how long it should last to make me feel I didn't pay too much, on the surface how well (or not so well) built the tool looks and feels, etc.

I'm a sucker for brand names and after looking at the most popular brand being used by people in the trade i've built up a nice little collection of Makita power tools for personal use. A radial arm saw is next on my list. For the use I'm expecting I could have settled for the less expensive home handyman version Maktec.

The very first power tool I bought in Thailand was a made in China 1/2" Clinton hammer drill. Thats been in general use by the wifes family for nearly 10 years and surprisingly still going strong.